Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
So I have alot of time into this game and if anyone still plays and wants to pub or something add me up on steam http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197968714217

I can really only play on east or central servers because torn banner runs their poo poo on hamster wheels

Destro fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Game is on steam sale for 3 bucks or so, grabbed it on a whim and having tons of fun. I suck but at least I can maintain 1:1 kill-death usually by dropping on people's back swinging a giant fuckoff sword. Or a bardiche if FFA, that thing mauls everybody and multikills are common.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Soon, you'll be like us

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Thread is very dead huh? Too bad, the game is plenty of fun especially for the low price it can be had now.

I'm 20 hours in and almost out of the early game servers (halfway to level 16 now), and since I'm a scrub that plays with a controller I'm one of the frailest guys around, I get killed all the time because I can't pinpoint stabs to people's faces or block people doing snakelike contortions. Also I'm a noob that isn't really good at FPS things but that doesn't stop me yelling and maiming.

Upside is that I sometimes also have streaks of pure murder where I just slice through 3-4 guys before being killed by someone decent or an archer, and I'm pretty decent myself at 1vs1 dueling (which is not that useful since there's always someone else going to barge in from the back and smash your head)

I would like to git gud but in pubbie servers that's hard, it's either newbies teamkilling, wildly LMB swinging, or the occasional pro that will gently caress you up in seconds whatever you do; if any Euro (I'm GMT+1) goon wants to be helpful and show me the ropes or just kill people togheter, add me: Torakfade on Steam

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 31, 2015

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

don't play chivalry with a controller please

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Minorkos posted:

don't play chivalry with a controller please

But it's fun and allows me to play from the couch in front of my bigass TV and sound system (comfort while murdering and yelling fidelity are paramount)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Minorkos posted:

don't play chivalry with a controller please sober

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Holy poo poo, don't use a controller for Chiv. This is a game where you really need that extra precision. You'll get slaughtered once you leave the newbie servers. The regular servers are full of guys with 100,000 hours logged who will exploit every wrong move you make.

Can't imagine playing on my couch either, when I boot up Chivalry it's go time and I'm hunched over my keyboard shouting obscenities at the screen after dying from a rainbow overhead or a teammate vanguard charge.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

^^^ I think that's why people aren't picking this game up, even at $2 or whatever it's at now. For most people that isn't fun.

Part of me wants to re-download it so I can haul out my crossbow and just throat-shot players

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Professor Shark posted:

^^^ I think that's why people aren't picking this game up, even at $2 or whatever it's at now. For most people that isn't fun.

Part of me wants to re-download it so I can haul out my crossbow and just throat-shot players

Join the 10,000 short bow shots achievement club. Shoot all the arrows.

God that took awhile.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

havenwaters posted:

Join the 10,000 short bow shots achievement club. Shoot all the arrows.

God that took awhile.

Count me as one of the people who bought this during the steam sale. I can't play archer with a bow, because I'm too busy stabbing knights with javelins.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Phlegmish posted:

Holy poo poo, don't use a controller for Chiv. This is a game where you really need that extra precision. You'll get slaughtered once you leave the newbie servers. The regular servers are full of guys with 100,000 hours logged who will exploit every wrong move you make.

Can't imagine playing on my couch either, when I boot up Chivalry it's go time and I'm hunched over my keyboard shouting obscenities at the screen after dying from a rainbow overhead or a teammate vanguard charge.

It's Chivalry, you can have almost as much fun getting your head smashed as smashing that of others.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Count me as one of the people who bought this during the steam sale. I can't play archer with a bow, because I'm too busy stabbing knights with javelins.

Haha the most surprisingly good set up was the Archer w/ Javelin, that Cathedral level that has the short hallway to the library was awesome for scoring kills

The only easier way to get kills I found was Van with spear, walking backwards and one-hand-thrusting

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Does this game still have an active community? Just picked up a copy for me and a buddy of mine and it would kind of suck of this game was dead on arrival.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
If you want to use a controller, you should buy it for the 360 where everyone has to use one. Once you get out of the low rank servers you're going to get stomped by people who have spent hundreds of hours in this game on pc, which is most of the playerbase unless there's a sale or free weekend on.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I haven't played in like 6 months but you could totally hold your own just fine with a controller back then. Just don't expect to be doing any whirlwind lookdown instant decapitations or anything.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Are there any medieval/melee-heavy FPS games besides Chivalry at the moment? I used to love it but after a while the gameplay encouraged by all the weird engine and animation quirks just got to me. It'd be nice to have a game where weapon mass and swing momentum matters, shields don't last forever and armor isn't just a bigger health bar.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Have you ever played Mount and Blade:Warband?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

No, no I have not. I'll check it out.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
sometimes when I'm a drunk with a friend I'll boot up chiv and play on the couch with a controller. We take turns per death. We usually do poorly but whatever it's hilarious

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Trudis posted:

Have you ever played Mount and Blade:Warband?

This game looks awful. It sucks but Chiv seems to be the best game out there for pvp melee combat like this. I still play a few nights a week.

hit me up if you're looking fora group http://steamcommunity.com/id/znorps/

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
My best kda was and always will be with lead ball sling.

It still bugs the hell out of me that it doesn't have a melee option though.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Sling melee option is to jump over their sword and bean them in the face with a sling bullet.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Who used to run the sandcastle server? Was looking for it and couldn't find it. All the ones I could find were euro and the lag made it too hard to play well.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Trudis posted:

If you want to use a controller, you should buy it for the 360 where everyone has to use one. Once you get out of the low rank servers you're going to get stomped by people who have spent hundreds of hours in this game on pc, which is most of the playerbase unless there's a sale or free weekend on.

Dunno, I just started playing on non-noob servers and while it's like relearning the game from scratch I can still hold my own. There's guys out there that crush me effortlessly, but my halberd drinks blood nonetheless :black101:

And in TO games k/d ratio matters a lot less anyway, being clever will still net you a win and a good score.

It would be nice to have a controller only server though, just to even it out a little

Dr. Video Games 0117
May 25, 2006
On dates I like to...
Just got back into this game and its still pretty great. Primo tips for new players: those loading tooltips are the real deal - dragging and feinting are the best ways to really open yourself up to the concepts that are going to help you slice people up more effectively.

Also, customizing your character to be as bright and pink as possible increases your effectiveness exponentially.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I didn't understand the thread title fully until I discovered the joy of pressing the C key repeatedly while running full tilt at other players. Now it's all I ever do. Sometimes I sacrifice myself just to get a sweet taunt off before my head gets severed. Totally worth it.

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:
Watch this for 20 seconds. This is why you should learn about ducking.

https://youtu.be/UejeOjSIgkA?t=38m34s

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I do that all the time and it never stops being both effective and hilarious.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Elth posted:

I do that all the time and it never stops being both effective and hilarious.

It is equally hilarious when you know someone does that all the time and you just edge your sideways swings downwards at the last second and smush them.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I always aim for the groin anyway.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I can understand the ducking, it's great. What I can't wrap my head around is people bent backwards 90 degrees and running around like that, it's painful to see.

By the way, level 18 and still doing a fine job with a controller. I could probably be 10 times better with m+k but who cares, I can still behead people yelling FOR AGATHAAARGHGHGAA

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

TorakFade posted:

I can understand the ducking, it's great. What I can't wrap my head around is people bent backwards 90 degrees and running around like that, it's painful to see.

Yeah, poo poo like this really soured me to the game. For something that wants to be a Medieval War Simulator or whatever it sure as hell feels like a game where veterans have mastered the art of exploiting the system.

*rapid see-saw motions from the hip*

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, poo poo like this really soured me to the game. For something that wants to be a Medieval War Simulator or whatever it sure as hell feels like a game where veterans have mastered the art of exploiting the system.

*rapid see-saw motions from the hip*

But ultimately the fun is in chopping their drat limbs off while yelling CHARGEEARHJEEARGH and that's covered no matter what.

Actually the most fun I had was in FFA servers, gently caress k:d ratio and team play, just stab smash and maim, gently caress proper challenges, team play is good but aimless murder is better

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I agree that the rainbowing and exploiting of the damage system sucks, I still have a great time. If you do see someone rainbowing just move back and watch. You'll quickly see their pattern and be able to poke in an interrupt. And if you die, oh well. I really feel like they need to do something about damage activation. Like if you get hit with someones weapon at the beginning or the end of the follow through it shouldn't do as much damage as at the apex of the swing. That's why that rainbowing poo poo is effective. It's ridiculous that a vanguard crouching in the corner doing overhead strikes is able to do full damage behind him. But then I remember the devs are making money on a game that's 4 years old and aren't going to be changing things anytime soon.

Going to be hopping on later tonight to work on my maa. https://www.steamcommunity.com/id/znorps

The ducking is awesome. I did it last week for the first time and was able to see the messer pass just over my head and overhead slammed my holy water sprinkler into the knights head. I just have to remember to use it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKLko0faViQ

If they were able to scam a fully funded Star Wars version of this game out of Disney I would play the poo poo out of it

Chivalry with the Force would be balls out nuts

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Professor Shark posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKLko0faViQ

If they were able to scam a fully funded Star Wars version of this game out of Disney I would play the poo poo out of it

Chivalry with the Force would be balls out nuts

Have you played Jedi Academy? It's pretty different from chivarly but it's the best lightsaber swinging simulator out there

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Warband loving rules, you are doing yourself a disservice if you like medieval fight mans and haven't played it

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

You know what I hate? Archers. Archers and their stupid instakill arrows. And their horribly fast daggers, they just get in your face and stab, stab, stab :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

TorakFade posted:

You know what I hate? Archers. Archers and their stupid instakill arrows. And their horribly fast daggers, they just get in your face and stab, stab, stab :gonk:

Short weapons with tiny hit-archs are incredibly tricky to parry and that's one of the most frustrating things in the game, I think it's poorly balanced but many people think it's fair cause they do much less damage.

• Locked thread