Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
OK, so leaving aside the oil pickup. what are common failure modes for an EJ257 that aren't ringlands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My OEM pickup definitely had signs of stress on it when it was removed, and another club member did have his come apart during an autocross and lunch a motor.

It's probably a flawed design in general and vibration does it as opposed to lateral Gs. It's a shame because the 2.5L pan design is so much better at not starving the motor under Gs like the EJ205 pan seemed to.

If the engine's coming out I would do pickup and baffle again regardless of the car's use. If I were pulling the motor on an EJ205, I would update it to an EJ257 pan and put an upgraded pickup and baffle on that pan.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Oil pickup and ringlands are the main ones I see. And then on rebuilt/tuned engines bearing problems are more likely, mostly due to problems with machine work and assembly, but a tune that knocks will trash a rod bearing pretty quickly.

I killed the engine in my first legacy after a couple of laps around a traffic circle.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Sounds like I should just sort the oil pickup and not worry too much about the rest, then.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I do like air oil seperators. Less oil going through the intake tract means a more efficient IC, less knock and possibly healthier pistons. Crawford has been my go-to even though I don't like him, but I think there are some other similar ones out there. Perrin has a new one out that seems nice. Grimmspeed style that goes on the oil fill tube I don't recommend.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 31, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So I've acquired a 2000 Forester L as my very first car. 202k, bald tires, and the head gasket+timing were done a few months ago. Haggled it down to $3300+tax, because it had $6640 worth of damage on the drivers side in '05, and bald tires. I have no regrets, this thing purrs and has more scarily more acceleration than the '99 Cherokee I learned to drive in. :v:

Planning to install the 4EAT 4x4 on-demand hack next week, and acquire a used gauge cluster (altimeter, etc), any other sweet (and cheap) mods I should be cooking up? Goddamn, there's so many secret compartments and gadgets in here that I can't even keep track of them all.

Rime fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 31, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009

saint gerald posted:

So I'm going to sell/probably part-out my Miata (if anyone wants a sweet deal on a turbo setup, Konis, a Torsen, sweet stainless exhaust, etc. etc. etc. PM me) and put maybe $500 or so of the proceeds into the STI with a view to making it last forever (or as near as is practicable).

YGPM

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Are you using the LOC for the amp or for something else? The KTP-445U can take speaker level input.

I got the LOC for ease in future expandability. It also gives me some more play with sound adjustability.

E: oil pickup chat, it was probably somewhat a waste but I did have the killer B pickup and baffle installed on my STI. I'm paranoid as hell though. But it was cheap enough to say why not. Also for an AOS, I got the IAG and its awesome. It's very well built and can be disassembled for cleaning or whatever you wish. It also has the option to retain pcv system or you can vent to atmosphere if that's your thing. It's only a couple bucks more than a Crawford but I think it's worth it. Only downside is its freaking huge.

TheFargate fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 31, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, we got about two weeks until NAIAS. I have my fingers crossed that Subaru will announce SOMETHING exciting there. My '11 WRX is really starting to bore me compared to my BRZ and now the engine is no longer under warranty and I don't trust the EJ25 as far as I can toss it.

Pie in the sky dream that will never happen is a 360ish HP STI hatch.

Almost as unlikely is normal WRX hatch.

Maybe a FA20T Crosstrek with a six speed manual? Probably not happening either I suppose.

I really don't know if I want to keep the '11 any longer than another year or so. Looks like I'm going to be spending $40k on a Focus.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

jamal posted:

Check CV joints. They can cause weird speed dependent vibrations.

I had a vibration like this and it turned out my steering rack mount bushings and bushings had worn and were causing the shimmy in the steering wheel.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My OEM pickup definitely had signs of stress on it when it was removed, and another club member did have his come apart during an autocross and lunch a motor.

It's probably a flawed design in general and vibration does it as opposed to lateral Gs. It's a shame because the 2.5L pan design is so much better at not starving the motor under Gs like the EJ205 pan seemed to.

If the engine's coming out I would do pickup and baffle again regardless of the car's use. If I were pulling the motor on an EJ205, I would update it to an EJ257 pan and put an upgraded pickup and baffle on that pan.

So you guys are scaring me. Should I be looking to change oil pans on my WRX for rallycross?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

bull3964 posted:

Looks like I'm going to be spending $40k on a Focus.

My rs order is already selected for scheduling :)

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
guy in the local subaru club decided to put this on his body forever

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Scrambles posted:

guy in the local subaru club decided to put this on his body forever

Where is the Spun #2 Rod bearing, on his back?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm planning on installing an aftermarket stereo receiver in my 2001 Subaru OBW. In the instructions I have it talks about disconnecting the climate control cable from the heater duct and that the cable is below the passengers side of the dash. They said it is not required to install the stereo but will make it easier when removing the radio. I can't seem to find this cable in my car, am I looking in the wrong place?

dk2m
May 6, 2009
After much indecisiveness, I sold the 07 STI. I wasn't hardcore enough for that thing, no amount of hooning and being obscene in empty parking lots could mask the fact that for me, perhaps driving to work in what amounted to a giant blender with a fast engine was an entirely enjoyable experience. Or maybe it was when my turbo blew because of PO fuckery, or the high upkeep, or maybe that every kid in a stupid loving snapback revs his goddamn Honda Civic like "BRO! BRO YOU WANNA RACE BRO!". I thought people were joking, it can't be that bad!

It's that loving bad.

It took the STI to know that the cops reaaaally care about the community! Thanks Officer, I appreciate you stopping me just to make sure my papers are in check.

But that stupid thing tickled me every time I got groceries. The giant spoiler was ridiculous but it stood out amongst all the beige mobiles. It made me look forward to driving, basically.

So since I'm an idiot, I of course sold it and bought a 2016 WRX.

I honestly hated the thing at first. I clutched my bedsheets, laying awake at night thinking about the horrible mistake I just made. I might as well be driving a fast Corolla, a fat bulbous thing with Bluetooth and safety equipment. I cried out to an uncaring and gay God but it was too late, the buyer didn't want to sell it back.

It took me a while to get used to the clutch, which was so light that I thought it wasn't even supposed to be that way. And the electronic throttle....I had to look up why the gently caress this thing takes forever to slowly rev down after engaging the clutch. Rev hang? Cue even more blanket-clutching.

Around 3K miles though, this thing just turned into something amazing. It opened up completely, I got used to the weird throttle and clutch and the FA felt downright fierce. Having so much torque at the low to mid range is such a unique experience after turbo-lag city. My butt dyno tells me that this thing feels as fast as the STI and has none of the downsides. I've yet to mod anything, but I don't think I will. Other than a Kartboy short throw kit and some decent tires, that's all I'll be doing. It's pretty much the perfect daily, plus I somehow managed to get 37MPG average over a roadtrip. What the gently caress Subaru.

I'll miss the STI, but this is a fantastic car in its own right.

http://imgur.com/a/BxPbw

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

dk2m posted:

2016 WRX...It's pretty much the perfect daily

Good to hear. When the weather clears up a bit, hopefully later this week, I'm going to try to find a 2016 WRX to test drive. If it tickles me in the right places and the improved interior/NVH is nice enough, it may replace my E46...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have the 16 WRX Limited and love it. While at my parents for the holidays, I had to "slum" it in my dad's 14 WRX base. I couldn't believe how it felt like a completely different car. The shifter felt way different and had a longer throw (both are the STI short throws) and the turbo didn't spool up until 3k (vs the 2-2.5k on mine).

The only downside to the 16 is that the clutch is so loving finicky and the one on the 14 was pretty smooth. I do, however, like the 6-speed way more than the 5 on the 14.

And yeah, the mileage is great. I took a road trip and averaged 31mpg. What the gently caress?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The new WRX is much more mellow. Much less aggressive styling, nice modern fuel efficient engine. But it's still fun when you want it to be. I've got a 2015 and it's a great compromise for someone who wants to separate themselves from the 18-25 crowd but still like fun, cheap cars.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

saint gerald posted:

Having owned my '07 STI for nearly two years and about 30,000 miles, I've come to the conclusion that it is pretty much the perfect car and all I want out of a vehicle right now.

So I'm going to sell/probably part-out my Miata (if anyone wants a sweet deal on a turbo setup, Konis, a Torsen, sweet stainless exhaust, etc. etc. etc. PM me) and put maybe $500 or so of the proceeds into the STI with a view to making it last forever (or as near as is practicable).

Currently the STI has 83,000 miles or so, and is stock outside of a Cobb intake, 3" catback, and a stage 2 off-the-shelf tune from Cobb. It has been unflinchingly reliable and burns no oil (I check it religiously every fillup and it has never budged, let alone needed to be topped up). Before I bought it I had a leakdown test done which revealed no problems. Paperwork indicates it had a new DCCD under warranty quite early in its life. It has been running Cobb tunes at least through the previous owner and quite possibly before that.

Assuming basic maintenance (Rotella every 3k, timing belts, and so on) where would this be best spent? I have a few ideas:

-- Gauges (oil pressure/temp, AFR (I have one of these in the Miata I would use), boost). Thinking here is that it would let me spot low oil/wacky lean/rich conditions or boost issues before they caused serious damage. I tuned the turbomiata myself without breaking anything, so I know approximately how to read that stuff.
-- An air/oil separator. I did not notice any oil in the intercooler last time I took it off, and I have low/no consumption, but I know these are somewhat prone to it.
-- A custom tune. I live in the wilds of WV and there is nobody local who would do it. so I'd be driving some considerable distance to get it done. Having had good results with the Cobb tune, I would want to make sure anyone laying hands on it had been around for ages and knew exactly what they're doing (and won't be fazed by a customer who walks in and says "I am more interested in safety/reliability than crazy numbers"). I would guess I'd probably need to budget for a Walbro if I went this route.

Thoughts/suggestions/criticism? I've read about oil pickup issues. Is that something I should be worried about?

Torqued performance on the tune. He will send you a map to datalog, then revise it to more closely fit your car. In my '13 his tune is head and shoulders above Cobb's

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Has anyone gone through the Takata recall on their Impreza? My 04 needs it, and I was wondering how long the fix itself takes. Is it a half day, more?

In other areas: How thin is the ice I am on with a catted uppipe and 112K? I have a catless uppipe on hand, but no desire to battle old rusty exhaust parts.

Also, I did the Centric/Stoptech brake thing, and very happy with the new feel compared to whatever I had before on my original rotors.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
The Takata fix for my car wasnt very long at all. Half a day tops. (Sup 04 buddy)

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Don't know if this is old, but just wanted to post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5NWcdq4Wf4

And then don't forget the manifesto-length idiocy posted by him:

some dumbass posted:

What happened? To put it simply, I was distracted at the one moment that required 110% focus on an unfamiliar road.

As an auto enthusiast, when you have a nice relatively fast car with a loud exhaust you tend to like tunnels. They make your exhaust sound that much better, sort of like singing in the shower… Well, I found myself accelerating through this nice long and dark pair of tunnels; I had done this many times before in other tunnels. At the exit, I could barely see because it was so bright, a person standing and holding something while motioning. Wondering what they were doing, I stared, and stared, reaching the top of 4th gear, all while trying to comprehend what they were trying to tell me. Then I figured it out. They were telling me to slow down and watch the curve ahead, but it was too late. When I think about it now, I don’t ever remember seeing the road ahead until I was nearly out of the tunnel. In my mind I had assumed that it just went straight. At that point I was exiting the tunnel straight as the road curved to the left. I had no time to slam on my brakes beforehand. Realizing I was going way too fast for that section, I applied the brakes softly in an effort to keep the back end from sliding out, but, combined with a bump and rough switch in surface texture from concrete to asphalt, I lost traction. I began sliding to the left, the car oversteering, rotating counter-clockwise, over the center marker. I counter-steered, turning the steering wheel all the way to the right, but kept sliding to the left into the turnout. It was at this moment I knew, I had hosed up.

I slammed into a berm and expected to come to a complete stop, but the terrifying journey wasn’t over. I went over the edge. It happened so fast all I can remember is everything crashing and spinning. I thought I was rolling over down the side of the mountain. I was confident I was going to land upside down and get crushed. I was on the world's worst roller coaster that could only end with death, or so I thought. I came to a stop, still yelling, not fully comprehending what just happened, or how far down the mountain I was and that I actually just crashed my car. Luckily for me, I landed on a rock wall that was part of a drainage pipe that went through the mountain. It was the only horizontally level piece on an extremely steep sloped hill. Had I spun off a few feet before or after, I’d be dead.

I never thought that I would be one of the guys that wrecks his car in the canyons. I’m not even close to being a pro driver, but I take a little pride in my situational awareness while driving, my somewhat decent understanding of vehicle dynamics and how various driver inputs affect a vehicle in motion, my autocross and canyon experience, and the fact that I haven’t gotten any tickets or into any accidents since I got my license. I guess I got too comfortable at the wrong moment and it got the best of me. It shows that things like this can happen to mostly anyone. The whole cruise up there was relaxed, leisurely, until that moment. I definitely wasn’t purposely trying to take that corner fast, I was caught up in the moment flying through those long tunnels, got distracted, and didn’t see the road ahead of me. I panicked last minute and that ultimately lead to this entire situation. I’m disappointed in myself, and I know some others may be disappointed in me as well. And I know it could have been worse in so many ways, and I’m kicking myself for that. But ultimately I’m glad to be alive and well."

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How do you even manage to slide off the inside in that situation?? :wtc:

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Maybe it's the fov or something but it looks like he's just tootling along at 30mph before the crash?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

We did a socal ai meet and drove up that road, saw three accidents, one with a death that had the whole road closed so we turned around. On the way back a dude on a harley had crashed at that same spot and really hurt himself. Just kept going straight into the wall on the right. There are pictures of it around somewhere.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How do you even manage to slide off the inside in that situation?? :wtc:
that was art. a big empty patch of pavement for him to have recovered in, and his subaru seeks out the launch ramp.

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Maybe it's the fov or something but it looks like he's just tootling along at 30mph before the crash?

If he was really at the top of fourth, probably closer to 100 mph. That camera mounting position is terrible for conveying actual vehicle speed.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah probably close to that.

Given that he spun off the inside, wasn't going too fast for the corner. Just panicked.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I got on the computer to watch it again, is it just me, or does it look like he could have made that corner pretty easily?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got on the computer to watch it again, is it just me, or does it look like he could have made that corner pretty easily?

You can see earlier in the video it cuts to him loving aorund with a handheld camera. I'm guesing after he left off, he reached back down for the camera, and when he looked up saw a barrier and panicked.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Powershift posted:

You can see earlier in the video it cuts to him loving aorund with a handheld camera. I'm guesing after he left off, he reached back down for the camera, and when he looked up saw a barrier and panicked.

I kinda assumed he had a camera mounted somewhere on his body as a first person view, but yeah this is probably it.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

adnam posted:

Jimmy's foz

I've instructed this kid at a couple local track events, needless to say, he's not the most graceful of drivers.

In that situation, he could've corrected the panic lift-off/hulk smash pedal rotation with counter-steer and gentle input, or even carried speed through the turn, but he just didn't have the seat time to realize it. He's since purchased another forester to trick out, and now stomps around in malibu where the runoffs have guard rails. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RtUEBRu6BA

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

If he was doing 160kph, my dick is 14 inches. Even with the camera not good good at conveying speed there is no way he was close to it - frankly the top of fourth thing was a BS story to make his fuckup seem more heroic.

I was expecting a whole lot more damage and lot more speed by his description.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Stuff like this is why I hate the car culture. Atleast in Brisbane, if you arent timing yourself up and down the hills and pushing the records you are a fuckwit who bought your car for the image, yet most of them here are p platers or just off them and almost daily someone crashes in situations like this dude. Its not hard to realise youve been driving for less than 2-3 years if you are on ps and then realise you are probably a poo poo driver.

The mountain they all crash on isnt even dangerous unless you are going way beyond your limits or dont know the road yet 90% of them will say they pride themselves in their skills and knowing what driver inputs do, just like fozman thinks he does here. Its never their fault either, and they always want to sound like heroes.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

"There was a guy waving, and I couldn't see, so I just kept flooring it."

si
Apr 26, 2004

jamal posted:

"There was a guy waving, and I couldn't see, so I just kept flooring it."

To be fair, this is the MO of most successful rally drivers.

This guy is not one of them.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I love the "oh NO OH NO" he does as he's going off of the edge. Honestly looks like he could have just eased off the throttle and taken the turn without issue.

Panicky idiot.

Partly why I advocate autocross for everyone, even a *tiny* amount of experience would have been enough to prevent this situation. If you're driving like an idiot at least do it in a controlled manner and know what to do when things don't go your way, you might even *gasp* do the rational thing and stay within your driving ability and not do *idiot thing*. I like driving twisty mountain roads (in the snow too!) as much as the next guy, but drat if I don't dial it back when conditions aren't favorable (or predictable), don't know see what's up ahead, or there's no safety net.

Idiots.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

adumbass posted:

I don’t ever remember seeing the road ahead until I was nearly out of the tunnel. In my mind I had assumed that it just went straight.

I take a little pride in my situational awareness while driving

Brilliant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Wheel chat: repair my banged up alloys ($100-$150 each) or keep em and buy refurbs of unknown provenance off eBay ($160-$170 each; rockauto is out of keystone sourced wheels)