Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Jesus, dude. Owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Jesus, dude. Owns.

Thanks! I had intended to use this project to learn to airbrush. Instead, I learned that I can't airbrush to save my life, I can blend over large flat areas, and that Tamiya masking tape rules.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Germ posted:

:siren: OATH COMPLETE!!! :siren:

This poo poo is amazing.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Germs stuff makes me glad I paint metal boxes instead of stuff with curves to them, like I don't know how you do that. Do you simple start with a thin layer of the primary color and just do another with slightly less area all the way back to the edge? How many layers do you apply?

Germ
May 7, 2013

Uroboros posted:

Germs stuff makes me glad I paint metal boxes instead of stuff with curves to them, like I don't know how you do that. Do you simple start with a thin layer of the primary color and just do another with slightly less area all the way back to the edge? How many layers do you apply?

Pretty much what you describe. The trick is to keep the paint thin enough that it takes 2 or 3 passes with the same color to get solid coverage. As an example of the layers, my red is:

Black & black & mecharite red
Black and mecharite red
Mech red
Mech red and red gore
Red gore
Red gore and blazing orange.

All over a black undercoat. So, all together, not too many colors, but some layers (especially the early ones) take a few passes. Keep in mind that the later layers aren't covering much surface area, so they are a lot faster than the early ones. The hardest part is trying (early on) to remember from which direction I was going to highlight things from, to try and keep it consistent across (and within) models. Once the highlights build up it's easy, but I'm always paranoid at first.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
Oathing for December: Extreme Carnivean from Privateer Press

This model is absolutely beautiful I am so excited to paint it. This last week of December will be dedicated to it!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Trying to get my poo poo together on painting I OATH this Lambda Class Attack Shuttle from FFG's X-Wing Miniatures game.

Hideous photo, so apologies. If it's not OK, I've already started painting so :ohdear:

It's going to be a test run for my planned dazzle camouflage scheme for my Decimator. I'm also painting a TIE Phantom at the same time that I might add to the oath tomorrow.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Indolent Bastard posted:

For December I oath 5 Chaos Warhounds by GW

Oath addition 1 Yeti from Grenadier.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby oath for December a Malifaux Ice Golem and three Ice Gamin

Running late, but I'll get there!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've no idea if the pic was good enough to be accepted but meh, I finished anyway. (Do not, whatever you do, zoom in. My painting is messy as gently caress on this because :effort: and because it's mostly a proof of concept on the dazzle camouflage scheme I actually want to USE for my Decimator. It went... OKish, I guess. I need to be a bit more careful with my masking, and a bit more careful with my cutting, but most critically, I really should have done a grey prime on the white areas. I can highlight up from black easily enough if I want to, but I can't go down from white easily and it kinda stinks.

It would be nice if I had a wash I could use for this sort of thing too as that would have been a much better first step after the spraying. But I don't. I tried a black ink wash and it just went wrong.

Click for huge. If you must. But please don't.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

:siren: Oath Completed! :siren:

Two YuJing tiger soldiers, and an attempt to use GIMP for white balancing instead of photoshop. New things are hard.
EDIT: Oh yeah, and the Red everywhere is my Journal. :)

Signal fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 30, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:coolspot: OATH COMPLETE :coolspot:

Does the two shade red stop sign constitute enough for the challenge? Not that it matters a whole lot, being nowhere near a place in the points.

Bonus cool points for anyone who can place the soda machine colour scheme :v:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath Complete!

I now has many objectives for my Batmans! Can I claim I rolled a six! for these? Not sure on that one tbh.

The red Titan canister's lettering apparently reads 'Mirakuru', or so the internet tells me. I'm quite pleased with the lettering on both Titan canisters, I wasn't sure how they would turn out.

I had a go at a little graffiti on the ammo boxes to break up the blocky look.

For the safe boxes I went with yet more graffiti, giving one a Joker make over and the other some patronising Riddler smack talk. Had a go at rusting them up, they look ok I think but I struggled a bit painting onto MDF for the first time. I probably should have put a bit more primer on but the can was dying when I did them.

And finally we have my Temple Dogs for the technical challenge. These guys are going to be a bit of scatter terrain and sit outside my new theatre building. I might go back and weather them later but for now I'm liking the shiny new 'just installed' look.

Ugleb posted:

Oath addition!

2x Temple Dogs by Ainsty Castings, 28mm scale.

Ugleb posted:

I Ugleb, hereby oath for the month of December, two Objective sets (One Riddler Puzzle, Loot, Ammo Crate and Titan Canister in each) and one pack of Safe Boxes (two models in the MDF pack) all for the Batman Miniature Game by Knight Models, 32mm scale.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 31, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Oath Complete

theme challenge: something for the holidays, of course!

The Bumble from the Rankin/Bass classic Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer TV special

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
:shittydog:OATH COMPLETE:shittydog:

Having some issues with ranking up, but this shows off the models well enough.

The Challenge is, obviously, their red garments.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I Weirdo Oath one Half-orc barbarian from Stonehaven miniatures.

Last minute 24 hour oath!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

OATH COMPLETE

This month's JURNAL is the red Bloodletters Blade Demons. Also now I need to get my eyes replaced because goddamn 6mm is brutal.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
OATH COMPLETE

Looted High Elf banner and misc Warhammer shields as trophies for this mercenary unit that I have taken to calling the Hired Goons.
Some red on these guys I guess.

edit:

dmnz fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 1, 2016

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.
I Lord Thrust Oath, for December 2015, one 28mm custom impaled Eldar from GW.

If I get this done I'll claim the speed painting points. Day off Daddy-O!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

OATH COMPLETE

THEME -tadpole tim!

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Oath Complete

head58
Apr 1, 2013

counterspin posted:

Oath Complete

What the heck is that shield you're using in the Sentry? Is it just a chunk of a Ret jack it ripped off and is carrying around?

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

It's the upper leg of a Hyperion I believe. I got a 2nd gladiator and I'd already stripped it and attached the Sentry's glaive before I realized I'd already used my only Titan shield for Tiberion. I had a bunch of Hyperion bits lying around, and this one was the closest to the right size.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Claiming the technical challenge for the red on the spellcaster types.

Dang it, how do I keep getting all this frickin' dust on these?

Full disclosure on the orc medic: Part of his saw broke off earlier this afternoon, which caused me a bit of panic for a couple of minutes until I realized I liked the look of a shorter sawblade better. It was a clean break, so I just painted over the end as seen below.

Full album is here (basically just these same pics, but bigger).

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Claiming an Oath Complete and a Jurnal Complete!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath failed

Steam sales are poison to productivity :(

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Steam sales are poison to productivity :(

Boy I hear that! But thankfully this month for me, Oath Complete!

Just a simple one this month, using the basic orc army scheme I'm using. The mini serves as both a hero for Kings of War and my wife's D&D cohort. Going to add some blood splatter and flowers on the ground.

Any advice on how to improve would be great appreciated!

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 1, 2016

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATH COMPLETE

I will leave it up to the organizers/judges weather or not the flesh counts as red or not for the month's Challenge.

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

Oath Complete! Claiming the December Journal for the Saim-Hann red color scheme, and Speed Painting for getting this done in a day.

Here are some slightly better pictures.

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

Lord Thrust posted:

Oath Complete!

I'm Claiming Day of the Dead Theme Challenge for the festive skulls shown here:

Hey Lovestick, the spreadsheet says Missing Picture for my November Oath, but here's the post with the picture. Cool? Thanks!

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete!

For the Jurnal, it's red.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete!

The Jurnal is the Ice Golem's festive red hat.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: Retro retreat month! :siren:

It totally makes sense guys because starwars came out recently and....

RETRO PRIZES!

Include something retro in your oath this month (January) and win one of two, two, that's right TWO starter sets for Counterblast! What counts as retro? Anything really! Old Fantasy models, old Scifi models. Put a modern zing in any historic (or a historic zing on something modern). I will draw two random winners at the end of the month unless someone goes above and beyond with the theme. Any questions ask me.

So, what do you get? Well, a rulebook for Counterblast and two starter sets! One person will pick between space pirates versus tall women, or bubble helmet federation guards versus brain squids. The other person will get whatever is left over.

versus
-OR-
versus

What is counterblast? Other than cool models it is a neat little game, alternating group or individual activations, a lot of support for custom games and campaigns. There are FAQs on the site that clarify some of the goofy interactions; this is the first edition of the rules after all.

*Must fully complete your January oath.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Quality prize, thanks LordAba!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I, nesbit37, pledge for the month of January 2016 100 black numenorians and queen beruthial (evil men 10mm by yann hoarau), 6 walkers and 4 ground vehicles for dropzone commander by hawk games 10mm, and for the new great month challenge by LordAba I am painting something old. A 25mm beholder by Grenadier from 1980. I don't know for 100% certainty, but I am pretty sure this is the first mini of a beholder available commercially.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 2, 2016

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I, JackMann, pledge for the month of January 2016 a Grenadier Phantom Stalker, a Reaper Miniatures Haunt, Malifaux Hamelin, and some sort of ghost butler from lord only knows where, but look at that little bowtie, man.

Gonna go for white on the various ghosts, which are also my retro stylin'.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
R.S. Gumby oaths a small army of Libyan Egyptians, 31 models by Essex, in 15mm scale, and
Medieval Dismounted Knights, 20 models, by Corvus Belli, 15mm scale.

At the top there is a small army of Libyan Egyptians for DBA. 12 stands, no options. I might do a little write-up on them when they're done. They're a historic enemy of the guys I did last month, the Bedouins. Also, they have one of my favorite troop types: horse-tanks. Or chariots.
Below are 20 knights on foot (5 stands) for use with my european medievals.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Electric Hobo oaths 1 Frostgrave Cultist and 1 Chovar Psychic. From Northstar and Mantic.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Has anyone else who won a prize in the 'paint a KR case' competition received anything yet? Just realised it's been 3 months since the winners were announced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Not yet, though I suspect they're busy with real orders and stuff though.

• Locked thread