Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Blue Scream posted:

As a way of giving back to the thread, I found this yesterday and it seems like a pretty good deal if you have Prime.

$0.38 per mL? Amateur hour.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PILOT-Fountain-pen-Ink-Black-350ml-INK350B-Import-Japan-/172045919631?hash=item280ebc658f:g:gIEAAOSwHnFVmyry

Now we're talkin' :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

I can actually get fountain pen ink cheaper locally, 74ml at $4.20/bottle.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

So would this be cheap or what
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Pelikan-4001-Blue-Washable-ink-1000-ml-bottle-33-82-Oz-/290864289085

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Blue Scream posted:

Thanks to this thread I put a Pilot Metropolitan on my Amazon wishlist for Christmas, and what do you know somebody bought me one. I've never used a fountain pen before but now I love it and don't want to go back. As a way of giving back to the thread, I found this yesterday and it seems like a pretty good deal if you have Prime.

You should get a converter instead of messing with these cartridges.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

QuantumNinja posted:

Pretty much this.
Then go to xFountainPens and get a big rear end bottle of diamine ink for stupid chrapand say "suckit nerds" to the idiots using cartridges.

Also Most pilots already come with the squeeze converter so use that.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

grack posted:

I can actually get fountain pen ink cheaper locally, 74ml at $4.20/bottle.

Amateurs, the price is good but it should be 69ml

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

QuantumNinja posted:

Honestly now that I've gotten the syringe thing going I think it's straight up easier than fiddling with legit converters. Plus the pilot ones have a great agitator which really makes things easier.

tater_salad posted:

That squeeze converter should really only be used for cleaning, it doesn't have that great of durability or capacity.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Still better than wasteful cartridges. You can get a con 50 for like $5 anywhere, it's worth it. For your other pens grab a 20 pack of twists and call it it's day. Or refill your carts with a syringe.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

GoodBee posted:

Kon-peki is the only bottle of ink I've bought. Everything else has been samples.

I'm at the point where this may be my next buy from the iroshizuku line, but tsukiyo is just as good. And I have a lot of blues. Might buy momiji next, though.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Obligatory Toast posted:

I'm at the point where this may be my next buy from the iroshizuku line, but tsukiyo is just as good. And I have a lot of blues. Might buy momiji next, though.

I got a few samples of Fuyu-syogun for holiday cards this year, and I seriously want a whole bottle now.

E: I would hope anyone who is reading along at this point but hasn't tried the Iroshizuku line is convinced to try it. At least 4 people have posted here to say the line was awesome.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I can vouch fot that too. I have three bottles: Fuyu-syogun, Fuyu-gaki and Chiku-rin. All three are very very good, although Fuyu-gaki is not what I was expecting (it's advertised as vermillion, but it's pretty much orange - still a great colour though).

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Mikl posted:

I can vouch fot that too. I have three bottles: Fuyu-syogun, Fuyu-gaki and Chiku-rin. All three are very very good, although Fuyu-gaki is not what I was expecting (it's advertised as vermillion, but it's pretty much orange - still a great colour though).

It's more of a scarlet, really. A fuckin' nice scarlet

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

tater_salad posted:

Pretty much this.
Then go to xFountainPens and get a big rear end bottle of diamine ink for stupid chrapand say "suckit nerds" to the idiots using cartridges.

Or get the European version (Pilot MR), which takes international cartridges.

A quick question: I bought a few Ohto Rooks to hand out as christmas presents at work. I quite like the size and design of the pen as a relatively inexpensive small pocket pen, but the nib is broader than I would like. Does anyone know if it takes a generic nib, and how easy it would be to swap out to something slightly finer?

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 1, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Soylent Yellow posted:

Or get the European version (Pilot MR), which takes international cartridges.

A quick question: I bought a few Ohto Rooks to hand out as christmas presents at work. I quite like the size and design of the pen as a relatively inexpensive small pocket pen, but the nib is broader than I would like. Does anyone know if it takes a generic nib, and how easy it would be to swap out to something slightly finer?

The Rook takes standard #5 nibs, and the nib/feed assembly is friction fit and simply slides out of the body. It's very easy to replace.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Iroshizuku is a great ink line, but for real the best ink in it is Yama-budo which nobody has mentioned yet.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
How does Yama-budo compare to Noodler's Ottoman Rose, color-wise? I kinda hate duplicating colors even if they're from different manufacturers and they seem pretty close, looking at pictures online but I know that can be misleading. I really love that deep pink shade but if they're more or less the same it's kind of a waste.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

My three VPs, Blue and Green Carbonesque with Stub and EF nib and Cherry Redwood VP with custom stub.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

grack posted:

The Rook takes standard #5 nibs, and the nib/feed assembly is friction fit and simply slides out of the body. It's very easy to replace.

Thanks. Would one of these be suitable, and if so, which feed should I go with?

http://www.beaufortink.co.uk/bocksize5.html

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Soylent Yellow posted:

Thanks. Would one of these be suitable, and if so, which feed should I go with?

http://www.beaufortink.co.uk/bocksize5.html

They should be fine. From what I can tell the feeds are the same for either option, it's the housing that changes. You won't be using the housing because the Rook doesn't use a removable housing so pick whichever one you want.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I've been using a TWSBI eco for a week now and I can safely say it has yet to explode.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

How does Yama-budo compare to Noodler's Ottoman Rose, color-wise? I kinda hate duplicating colors even if they're from different manufacturers and they seem pretty close, looking at pictures online but I know that can be misleading. I really love that deep pink shade but if they're more or less the same it's kind of a waste.

They're not even close. Yama-budo is a true purple, Ottoman Rose is ... well, kind of a rose.

Edit: Here, I pulled my samples. http://imgur.com/r42HZ4d http://imgur.com/co9onFh

Remora fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 2, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Remora posted:

They're not even close. Yama-budo is a true purple, Ottoman Rose is ... well, kind of a rose.

Edit: Here, I pulled my samples. http://imgur.com/r42HZ4d http://imgur.com/co9onFh

oh yeah that's quite different, I'll keep it on my list in that case. Thanks!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
By the by, these guys:
http://pencrafts.co.uk/store/pen-spares/replacement-nibs-and-tips
do cheap jowo nibs be in the UK.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I got an old family Lamy joy pen handed over to me with a cool 1.5 italic nib. But the nib looks like this:

sorry for the bad focus, phone pic

and it won't write because the ink can't flow to the tip.

Is there anything I can do about this, preferably at home? I'm no expert but I've got some finger dexterity and access to fine tools. It isn't clear from the picture, but the part that's slightly bent is the metal of the nib itself, not the dark plastic underneath.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Take the nib off the pen using a piece of scotch tape. Flatten it by *gently* pressing the tip against a hard surface, checking regularly if it's fitted properly to the feed.

Do not use hand tools!

After it's flattened you'll want to check the tine alignment with a jewelers loupe, you can find how-to videos on Youtube.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Cyphoderus posted:

I got an old family Lamy joy pen handed over to me with a cool 1.5 italic nib. But the nib looks like this:

sorry for the bad focus, phone pic

and it won't write because the ink can't flow to the tip.

Is there anything I can do about this, preferably at home? I'm no expert but I've got some finger dexterity and access to fine tools. It isn't clear from the picture, but the part that's slightly bent is the metal of the nib itself, not the dark plastic underneath.

If you have a small nylon wedge hammer and a block of soft wood you could try to hammer it out if there's like a visible bend in the metal. That picture makes it hard to tell if that's the case. If it's just deformed up away from the feed, you should be able to finger bend it back into place. Take the nib off, and using your thumb start gently articulating the tines down, one side then the other. Use a loupe to make sure they stay aligned, and test fit it back onto the pen to see how it looks. You could also leave the nib on the pen, and flip it over so the feed is up and the nib is face down on a pad of paper. Press down into the paper while retracting the pen towards yourself and raising the back end of, making a sort of even circular pressure bending the nib towards the feed. Go slow, of course.

Barring all of that, it looks like Lamy's standard nib, those are cheap and hilariously easy to replace. Just buy a new one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oh, if anyone wanted to get a Vanishing Point Amazon has a couple of absurdly cheap ones on the outlet page, like "$70 shipped" cheap.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

The only ones I can find that cheap are ballpoints...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Edit: All gone folks

grack fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 6, 2016

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I picked up one of those Vanishing Points, thanks for the heads up. It was one of those pens I've always wanted but I never thought I'd actually be able to justify dropping over a hundred bucks on one.

They were being sold by amazon, not a 3rd party, so I feel confident about the order. If anything is wrong it'll at least be easy to get the money back.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I wasn't going to get one of those VPs but then I reminded myself that since I didn't actually lose the three pens I thought I had misplaced over the Christmas break that really the money I was going to spend replacing them was technically available and oh god what have I done*

*gotten an awesome pen at 50% off, that's what!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ugh the ones that aren't firehoses went back up in price :smith:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Uhh a Pilot medium can hardly be called a "firehose" unless you exclusively write with saba-togi or posting nibs...

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Just for you, Buttercup -

From top to bottom,
Lamy Safari (so, medium?)
VP with a broad nib
TWSBI 580 broad.

There's nothing in it - if you want a VP, pick one up for $70. (The just get a replacement M nib unit. :shepspends: )

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

FAUXTON posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Fountain-Capless-M-Nib-FC-15SR-B-M/dp/B001AX9HLE

This one's a M nib, and still on offer.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Seriously, what is the deal with a VP? I mean, why the love? They are ugly and you cant even see the nob properly when writing, which I think is one of the benefits of a fountain pen.

Still a nice deal if you like them, I guess.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

They're retractable fountain pens with an excellent quality gold nib on sale for 70 bucks

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Keetron posted:

Seriously, what is the deal with a VP? I mean, why the love? They are ugly and you cant even see the nob properly when writing, which I think is one of the benefits of a fountain pen.

Unique form factor and a really good, solid 18k gold nib from a highly respected manufacturer. At $100 that's a pretty good deal. At $70 it's a screaming good deal and you could probably flip it for a profit if you decided it wasn't for you.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Keetron posted:

Still a nice deal if you like them, I guess.

Counterpoint: they're pretty and you can see the nib just fine when writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

grack posted:

Take the nib off the pen using a piece of scotch tape. Flatten it by *gently* pressing the tip against a hard surface, checking regularly if it's fitted properly to the feed.

Do not use hand tools!

After it's flattened you'll want to check the tine alignment with a jewelers loupe, you can find how-to videos on Youtube.

NeurosisHead posted:

If you have a small nylon wedge hammer and a block of soft wood you could try to hammer it out if there's like a visible bend in the metal. That picture makes it hard to tell if that's the case. If it's just deformed up away from the feed, you should be able to finger bend it back into place. Take the nib off, and using your thumb start gently articulating the tines down, one side then the other. Use a loupe to make sure they stay aligned, and test fit it back onto the pen to see how it looks. You could also leave the nib on the pen, and flip it over so the feed is up and the nib is face down on a pad of paper. Press down into the paper while retracting the pen towards yourself and raising the back end of, making a sort of even circular pressure bending the nib towards the feed. Go slow, of course.

Barring all of that, it looks like Lamy's standard nib, those are cheap and hilariously easy to replace. Just buy a new one.

Thanks, guys. I ended up finger-bending it back into place and it writes now, but unless I keep it nearly straight up from the paper the ink will cease flowing really easily. I think I'll just wait until I'm abroad or something to pick up a new nib – importing here is super expensive and I haven't found anywhere, in the net or otherwise, that sells standalone Lamy nibs. I think I'll go for the 1.1 italic nib, as the 1.5 turned out to be way too thick for my taste.