Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Considering it his primary goal, you would think he has fought people stronger than him at some point. It would be pretty great if he has been trying and failing as we've seen all his life, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

he just ended up being too strong to ever have a real fight, like saitama

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
also most people don't dedicate their lives to blood sport in such a way as hisoka. He's a brutal mass murderer with a perfect nen for killing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Clarste posted:

Pitou didn't want to kill Gon, but she felt like she needed to. Right before their fight, Pitou said something like "I'm sorry, but I need to kill you." And there's really no reason for Pitou to lie about that. The idea being that she learned empathy very quickly.

Though Pitou was only going to attack because of Pouf's lies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wild Horses posted:

also most people don't dedicate their lives to blood sport in such a way as hisoka. He's a brutal mass murderer with a perfect nen for killing.

His stated reason for becoming a hunter is so he can murder people without consequence.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Episode 55 - Hisoka's erections continue to be the best.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Wild Horses posted:

Yup, it's good for straight up battle, good for cheap shots, traps, tricking people. And even if you know how it works he can still apply it in numerous ways, none of which can be stopped.
Basically you need some sort of conditional nen hax to stop him, because if you try to stand and bang with him you'll take a huge risk.

Conditional Nen hax like 100-Type Guanyin Bodhisattva where the condition is "throw 10,000 punches without stopping"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zeratanis posted:

Episode 55 - Hisoka's erections continue to be the best.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The concept of vows and conditions is the little thing that pushes nen over the edge from good to into great, IMO. It's a super versatile system that makes sense on an almost intrinsic level, can be used to reveal character, and can often lead to interesting setups by creating certain expectations only to dash them.

Take Kurapika for instance. Dude hates the Spiders, so he customizes all his best moves to be super effective against them specifically at the cost of never being allowed to use them against anyone else. Subsequently, Kurapika verses any lone Spider is pretty much a done deal: Kurapika wins. Except the Spiders quickly figure out what his deal is, so the odds of him facing off against them one on one go down considerably. Even though it hasn't happened yet, there's already this little seed of expectation waiting to blossom. To further complicate matters, Kurapika's current nemesis isn't a Spider but the prince of a foreign land. This guy's a real piece of work alright, but he ain't no criminal Kurapika can just toss in a ditch and bury somewhere. In this way the stakes are even higher than they would be ordinarily: not only is Kurapika's opponent an individual with a high profile, Kurapika is explicitly forbidden from threatening him or anybody who works for him with his most powerful moves.

All this without even mentioning Hisoka. If Kurapika had to fight Hisoka, would he count as a Spider? Hisoka's tattoo is only skin-deep after all.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hisoka doesn't count. Chrolli could talk to him.

And yeah I love how restrictions and poo poo work with nen.

Frankenstein Spider cut off his fingers cause he felt that they would make his finger bullets more effective, and while the act itself didn't do anything the fact that he believed that they would to the point that he willingly mutilated himself did make his nen stronger.

It's amazing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm pretty sure Kurapika's nen condition works based on how he personally would perceive the situation if he knew all the facts about it. Like, there isn't some magic objective arbiter of what is or isn't a Spider, but he can still be tricked.

Uh... that wasn't very clear. I think the closest comparison is Shizuku's vacuum cleaner. She can't suck up living beings, but apparently she doesn't consider blood alive, even when it's still inside something alive. It clearly contains living cells that metabolize and reproduce, but she personally doesn't consider it alive so it doesn't count. And she can even use this limitation as a filter to find the one living person buried under a mountain of corpses, that she didn't even know existed. Anyway, I think Kurapika's ability would work like that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

Conditional Nen hax like 100-Type Guanyin Bodhisattva where the condition is "throw 10,000 punches without stopping"

Netero was beyond (no, not that Beyond, before anyone makes that joke) anyone we've seen besides the King and possibly his guards; his ability seems to have somehow developed out of his dedicating years of his life to praying and meditating in the mountains. He basically achieved a sort of enlightenment and became a buddha, and the plane he ascended to both physically (besides his strength, he was also an old man when Zeno was young and would have probably lived much longer had he not died fighting Meruem) and mentally is likely why his nen was also so far beyond anyone else's. (Though, he claimed there are at least five people more skilled than he prior to meeting the ants; I wonder who they are.)

Tangent, was checking the wiki to see if there's anything I forgot, and something interesting was pointed out: When Gon, Killua, and Netero spar on the zeppelin, Netero only uses his right arm and left leg. During his fight with Meruem, meanwhile, the battle eventually leaves him with only his right arm and left leg.

And yes, nen is really, really cool. We need more systems like it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Roland Jones posted:

He basically achieved a sort of enlightenment and became a buddha

Let's not kid ourselves here: Old man Netero was more Asura than Buddha. :black101:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I don't know exactly what this is but it's adorable as hell and a nice change from Chimera Ants.

I like how he added spirit animals from YYH too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Roland Jones posted:

Netero was beyond (no, not that Beyond, before anyone makes that joke) anyone we've seen besides the King and possibly his guards; his ability seems to have somehow developed out of his dedicating years of his life to praying and meditating in the mountains. He basically achieved a sort of enlightenment and became a buddha, and the plane he ascended to both physically (besides his strength, he was also an old man when Zeno was young and would have probably lived much longer had he not died fighting Meruem) and mentally is likely why his nen was also so far beyond anyone else's. (Though, he claimed there are at least five people more skilled than he prior to meeting the ants; I wonder who they are.)

Tangent, was checking the wiki to see if there's anything I forgot, and something interesting was pointed out: When Gon, Killua, and Netero spar on the zeppelin, Netero only uses his right arm and left leg. During his fight with Meruem, meanwhile, the battle eventually leaves him with only his right arm and left leg.

And yes, nen is really, really cool. We need more systems like it.

Bodhisattva :eng101:

The current usage of the term describes someone who has reached enlightenment but refused to transcend in order to help others attain enlightenment. Buddhas are those who have attained enlightenment and have subsequently disappeared into the aether.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
All the best combat systems I've ever read involve limits and conditions rather than just surpassing via power creep, and the willingness of the author not to just break those limits in the name of escalation. Nen and Stands are the big ones, Hero Academia is coming along great. Hell even Naruto in part one was like that, some of the best fights in the first half were about defeating opponents techniques by out-thinking them. Can't think of any others of the top of my head. One Piece is a lot more free-wheeling than your average shounen and I think Bleach was always terrible with the 'suddenly I can beat you now'.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gon's had his power "sealed" 3 times now and the previous 2 times had him come out of it way stronger. So is he gonna force his Nen out again due to emotion or learn it proper? It'd be neat to see him training with Zushi again.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

e X posted:

From what I understood, he is really only interested in killing those who killed his tribe. The organization as a whole doesn't really seem to matter to him.

And what i really hope is that Togashi doesn't pull a 'revenge is bad' on us and has him abandoning his quest. I mean, I liked that he ultimately choose his friends over revenge in Yorkshin when the situation demanded it, but drat if I don't want to see Kurapika murder every last one of them. The Ryodan are easily my favorite members, and they actually come across pretty likable in their interactions but it would narrativly be very fitting if they get hunted down by one of their victims.

I kinda hope he doesn't, given the new member that showed up during the Chimera Ant and Greed Island arcs. It would cause real weirdness that I'm not horribly interested in watching/reading.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kild posted:

Gon's had his power "sealed" 3 times now and the previous 2 times had him come out of it way stronger. So is he gonna force his Nen out again due to emotion or learn it proper? It'd be neat to see him training with Zushi again.

He paid the price for his technique, so if he gets out of this easily then that undermines everything that happened to him (even moreso than Alluka's miracles already did). I think that would be an absolutely terrible storytelling decision.

Every other time he's been sealed, it's been because of someone else's ability. This was his own ability, and is exactly one of the limits and conditions this thread has been praising.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

there is zero chance that, if this series ever continues (there is zero chance that it will) that Gon will fail to get his Nen back.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Considering that not only did Gon lose his nen, he also finally found his father and parted ways with Killua, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if his story is simply over. That's kind of what made the anime ending such a good stopping place. I can totally imagine Hunter x Hunter continuing without Gon at all, if it ever continues.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Clarste posted:

Considering that not only did Gon lose his nen, he also finally found his father and parted ways with Killua, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if his story is simply over. That's kind of what made the anime ending such a good stopping place. I can totally imagine Hunter x Hunter continuing without Gon at all, if it ever continues.

Killua is the main character anyway.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AlternateNu posted:

Bodhisattva :eng101:

The current usage of the term describes someone who has reached enlightenment but refused to transcend in order to help others attain enlightenment. Buddhas are those who have attained enlightenment and have subsequently disappeared into the aether.

Alright; I just went to Wikipedia, and their definition of bodhisattva was someone who reached enlightenment out of a desire to help others or something, while a buddha was anyone who reached enlightenment period, from what I gathered. Given Netero's... Well, given Netero, the former didn't seem right based on those definitions.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Greed Island is the best training arc and Biscuit is great.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Give me a couple weeks to finish up the series so I can talk about how Killua is the greatest.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Roland Jones posted:

Alright; I just went to Wikipedia, and their definition of bodhisattva was someone who reached enlightenment out of a desire to help others or something, while a buddha was anyone who reached enlightenment period, from what I gathered. Given Netero's... Well, given Netero, the former didn't seem right based on those definitions.

Netero attains enlightenment through gratitude (to martial arts) and then promptly goes to found his own school in order to teach everyone gratitude. Guanyin being a bodhisattva of mercy and compassion kinda represents this too. Hell, he was doing his best not to think too much about Mereum's situation because he knew he would start empathizing with him. That's how compassionate he is!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Killua is the main character anyway.

Although I completely adore Killua b/c he managed to escape from a pretty terrible family to finally make friends. Gon is pretty much the main focus that brings everyone together otherwise it'd fall apart fast.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

Netero attains enlightenment through gratitude (to martial arts) and then promptly goes to found his own school in order to teach everyone gratitude. Guanyin being a bodhisattva of mercy and compassion kinda represents this too. Hell, he was doing his best not to think too much about Mereum's situation because he knew he would start empathizing with him. That's how compassionate he is!

I think at least some of that is meant as a joke but that's actually a fair point.

Also, Leorio and Kurapika are the main characters now. Or maybe Ging is. Or Cheadle. Or the crushing abyss of the void because we haven't had a new chapter this whole year.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alder posted:

Although I completely adore Killua b/c he managed to escape from a pretty terrible family to finally make friends. Gon is pretty much the main focus that brings everyone together otherwise it'd fall apart fast.

Who is this "everyone"? Half of the cast prefers to do their own thing and rarely if ever sticks with the other half or with each other, and even that other half has broken up whenever needed.

There's more teamwork in the Phantom Troupe than there is in the four mains.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Who is this "everyone"? Half of the cast prefers to do their own thing and rarely if ever sticks with the other half or with each other, and even that other half has broken up whenever needed.

There's more teamwork in the Phantom Troupe than there is in the four mains.

I meant the Hunter Exam/Yorknew arc where Gon helps support his friends on their different goals. So far we haven't seen a ton of the entire team together (I'm on ep. 90) but who knows. I'm pretty sure they will meet up again once I complete the remaining ep too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Hunter Association should just keep a supply of Hunters on hand that haven't created their Nen specialization yet just in case some super strong bad guy appears, like the Ant King. They should then have one of these non-specialized hunters create some ability that can only be used against that one enemy within some specific time-frame. It would be like Kurapika's chains, except multiplied by 12 or whatever (or more if you make some "can only ever be used within the next month" condition).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The Hunter Association should just keep a supply of Hunters on hand that haven't created their Nen specialization yet just in case some super strong bad guy appears, like the Ant King. They should then have one of these non-specialized hunters create some ability that can only be used against that one enemy within some specific time-frame. It would be like Kurapika's chains, except multiplied by 12 or whatever (or more if you make some "can only ever be used within the next month" condition).

I'm not sure how well that would work. I think part of the reason Kurapica's anti-Troupe abilities are so powerful is because he genuinely hates them. Plus he had a lot of potential to begin with. Plus Meruem was stronger than Chrollo, and the Dark Continent threats were stronger than Meruem.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I imagine if the ants were semi-successful in actually enslaving part of humanity you'd see a lot of ant-hate nens spring up amongst the resistant population. Not anything fancy, just very specialized powers.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I'm pretty sure that's what the nukes are for.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Clarste posted:

Thing is there's still Hisoka who will force it open if need be.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Silver2195 posted:

I'm not sure how well that would work. I think part of the reason Kurapica's anti-Troupe abilities are so powerful is because he genuinely hates them. Plus he had a lot of potential to begin with. Plus Meruem was stronger than Chrollo, and the Dark Continent threats were stronger than Meruem.

Kurapika's a particularly special case because of a variety of factors. As you say, he has a genuine, powerful animosity towards the Troupe, he's innately rather talented, and then there's Emperor Time which is one of the most powerful things we've seen in the series and just breaks the rules. But, even setting all that aside, you also need to consider, who would want to dedicate a portion of their very being and limit all their future potential for the sole purpose of dealing with one particular problem? Kurapika is an extreme oddity in that he'd do that to himself; most people would rather not.

Besides that, Hunters are already fairly rare, given how few pass the exam each year, and then there's them having to actually learn nen. From that small pool, singling some out (already not how the Association does things since they give the Hunters a lot of autonomy beyond a few particular rules) and having them basically do nothing so that, in the chance of such a major problem comes around that normal Hunters can't deal with it, they can have people who can, given several months at minimum, tailor themselves specifically to dealing with it, is a very inefficient way of doing things.

Basically, you'd need exceptionally talented individuals, who would probably be more useful off doing other things, who would agree to this sort of thing; the pool of options here, among the already-small pool of Hunters, would be tiny if not nonexistent. Or, you'd need to change the Association so that it could force people to do that, which would have massive resistance and probably make it far less appealing to join. And that's before the whole issue with nen working off of inner desire and emotions and stuff so some random person making these abilities probably would have effectiveness issues anyway, or at least not be as powerful as they could be.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
This whole "extremely specialized Nen-user" discussion is analgous with the human immune system and that only works because it can poo poo out millions of incredibly specific antibodies at the drop of a hat. Then again, it's entirely possible for the Chimera Ants to do exactly that since they were harvesting the population for potential Nen users. Just keep em in an egg and pop them out when you need them.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I like how in HxH I get a sense how expansive the world is and not-Japan only focus on locations. Also, it's fun to see everyone using internet/smartphones for communication. There's been tons of times where I figured a lot of the main problems would be resolved if everyone just answered their phones when called :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

But, even setting all that aside, you also need to consider, who would want to dedicate a portion of their very being and limit all their future potential for the sole purpose of dealing with one particular problem? Kurapika is an extreme oddity in that he'd do that to himself; most people would rather not.

You could create the motive; while not everyone would be willing to do so, if you offered some huge some of money + other benefits (significantly more than you get as just as a hunter alone) some people would probably be willing to bite. But the point about Kurapika having a genuine hatred of the Phantom Troupe is valid, though I want to say there are other Nen specializations with limitations that don't fit that mold (can't think of them off the top of my head though).,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
On one hand, they have phones, on the other hand they have characters who spend entire plot arcs staring at their phone in a dark corner instead of seeing their friend in the hospital, Kurapika