Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeez
May 28, 2012

greatn posted:

Anakin is a nine year old human cold who defeats decades battle hardened podracers in a sort where only aliens have the dexterity and reflexes to survive, then singlehandedly destroys a battle droid fleet ship.

Yeah, I guess that seems more instinctual to me than mind tricks are, but you're right that Luke and Anakin are better pilots than she is. But again, the Force practically begging her to become a Jedi is the thing that seems totally unprecedented. It's possible that Ben had a similar experience that led to him being obsessed with becoming the new Vader, as he alludes to the helmet showing him things like the lightsaber showed Rey, but we don't know the finer details of that and we know that Ben has a reason for being especially strong in the Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe Simon Pegg wanted the droid so much to keep Rey on Jakku.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I mostly feel that with Rey it felt like they put too much on her plate compared to the others in what was mostly written as something more along the lines of an ensemble piece. She's really no worse than Anakin about being good at absolutely everything, but he felt like he was the only true main character in comparison to Rey's role. Giving her the Falcon and Han being so into her basically makes her feel like Luke+Han which makes me kinda wonder what the heck do you give Finn and Poe to do so that they don't feel redundant, or do you basically move them 100% into the support role?

Edit: If they depart more from the OT in the second movie I think I'll be a lot more hopeful, since that basically means that there's more chances for different challenges to give everyone a chance to shine.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 1, 2016

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Poe was already in a support role. Dude was in 2 scenes.

The fact that anyone is citing an example or "clue" from the movie that Rey and Ren are siblings like Luke and Leia is wrong, because, for Luke and Leia, there were no clues. If you're finding clues, than, it's wrong. At least in this instance about this thing. You're trying to find a rhyme but it's off. It can't be a rhyme if it doesn't match what you're saying it's supposed to mirror.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gorelab posted:

I mostly feel that with Rey it felt like they put too much on her plate compared to the others in what was mostly written as something more along the lines of an ensemble piece. She's really no worse than Anakin about being good at absolutely everything, but he felt like he was the only true main character in comparison to Rey's role. Giving her the Falcon and Han being so into her basically makes her feel like Luke+Han which makes me kinda wonder what the heck do you give Finn and Poe to do so that they don't feel redundant, or do you basically move them 100% into the support role?

If, for some reason, we're going to boil down characters to areas of expertise they basically moved Luke's piloting abilities and Han's quips onto Poe and gave Rey Han's repair skills. The habit of running from problems and coming up with mundane, explosive and hostage-based solutions to shield generator problems from Han got put onto Finn.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Uh Poe was like in.... 5 separate major locations.

Also Han never fixed anything in the ot. It was a running gag.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

rear end Catchcum posted:

Poe was already in a support role. Dude was in 2 scenes.

The fact that anyone is citing an example or "clue" from the movie that Rey and Ren are siblings like Luke and Leia is wrong, because, for Luke and Leia, there were no clues. If you're finding clues, than, it's wrong. At least in this instance about this thing. You're trying to find a rhyme but it's off. It can't be a rhyme if it doesn't match what you're saying it's supposed to mirror.

I wasn't arguing they were siblings, I think they definitely aren't except for thematically(one light and one dark, on similar journeys.) But cousins, perhaps.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I could see the next film taking place several years later, focusing more on Finn and Poe, and having Rey also "missing" along with Luke in some sort of training or Jedi temple quest.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Beeez posted:

Yeah, I guess that seems more instinctual to me than mind tricks are, but you're right that Luke and Anakin are better pilots than she is. But again, the Force practically begging her to become a Jedi is the thing that seems totally unprecedented. It's possible that Ben had a similar experience that led to him being obsessed with becoming the new Vader, as he alludes to the helmet showing him things like the lightsaber showed Rey, but we don't know the finer details of that and we know that Ben has a reason for being especially strong in the Force.

True, I wonder if both Rey and Kylo share a power of reading an object, Anakins lightsaber and helmet both being powerfully force attuned objects that called to nearby force sensitive users because of an awakening in the force. The lightsaber representing the light side, the helmet the dark.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Episode 8 will be a rocky/ Kung fu training montage featuring Rey swinging on kelp vines with Luke hanging on her back quoting AA literature.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

greatn posted:

True, I wonder if both Rey and Kylo share a power of reading an object, Anakins lightsaber and helmet both being powerfully force attuned objects that called to nearby force sensitive users because of an awakening in the force. The lightsaber representing the light side, the helmet the dark.

Seems like it, which is funny because the "good side" thing is a weapon, while the "bad side" thing is something that literally kept someone alive and capable of sight. I mean, it's obvious why that would be, it's just funny because it's different than you'd normally expect.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kylo Ren will be hooked up to a machine while concerned looking First Order scientists watch him lift heaver and heavier slabs of metal while we see Rey lifting dozens of smaller space-irish stones. The song that plays is called Force on Fire.

Beeez posted:

Seems like it, which is funny because the "good side" thing is a weapon, while the "bad side" thing is something that literally kept someone alive and capable of sight. I mean, it's obvious why that would be, it's just funny because it's different than you'd normally expect.

Also the helmet was rejected at the end while the saber was lost against the holders will.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
When Finn's dying buddy touches finn's face (a good guy covered in a mask) that's the point where he switches to good.

When dying Han touches Ren's face (a face usually hidden in a mask!), that's his point of no return!

Ren will be redeemed though, at his death, like Anakin. That's the message of the movies. Ren will be made to see the light, I just hope it's not until the very end.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ren gonna kill smoke or something then die. Rey will burn his body on a pyre while pregnant with their twins. A cult of jar jar becomes popular in the corporate sector.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

nah snoke is gonna show ren his vadar collection, but not let him touch anything so ren goes into a bitchfit and accidently pushes snoke down the stairs as a result of this he goes back home ccrying to his mum

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Also Snoke is plaugeis. It just makes sense. What's bigger than the Death Star? A weapon that can destroy multiple planets at once. Who's badder than The Emperor? The Emperor's master.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So what happens in alternate reality Star Wars where Ben ditches the Dark Side and goes home with Han? He's brutally murdered hundreds of people and wiped out a generation of Jedi's. Does Leia use her political clout and claim Darthaffluenza so her son just gets probation?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pretty sure after they successfully destroy the Star Killer base, they sweep it under the rug and claim their son gave vital insights necessary to destroy the base. Once Leia ascends to the throne as "First General" of the resistance and has anyone with competing versions of history executed, it will not until centuries later that historians "uncover" the personal logs of Finn and reveal this information to support the by then de-facto usurpation of power from the Organna dynasty and confirm the new dynast's right to rule based on the Mandate of the Force.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 1, 2016

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

So what happens in alternate reality Star Wars where Ben ditches the Dark Side and goes home with Han? He's brutally murdered hundreds of people and wiped out a generation of Jedi's. Does Leia use her political clout and claim Darthaffluenza so her son just gets probation?

Worked for Luke and Kyp.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm pretty sure people don't know that Luke and Leia are Darth Vaders kids.

Also, obviously they'd all be like " Oh no that was a clone that did all that". Also, there aren't many witnesses left to what Kylo did so they could just be like " Yay our son survived"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

How many knows Kylo is Ben? I also doubt many have seen Kylo's face.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I get the impression that very few (as in probably anyone who was aware of Luke's new Jedi Academy) people knew that Kylo Ren is Ben Solo. It's shown that Ren slaughtered everyone under Luke's teaching which means that Luke, Han and Leia could very well be the only three that know the truth.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Who says he's going to go Light and come home? He could very well pull a Vader in Episode IX and sacrifice himself to save Luke or someone.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 1, 2016

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Max von Sydow knew who he was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beeez posted:

Max von Sydow knew who he was.

He was also an old friend of Leia's.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Justin Godscock posted:

Who says he's going to go Light and come home? He could very well pull a Vader in Episode IX and sacrifice himself to save Luke or someone.

I'm just referring to Leia asking Han to bring their son home. Bring him home to what? It just seemed weird to still be holding out for a happy return. Best case scenario, Han and Ben come home and everyone is reunited. Later Leia is planning the annual Life Day feast. The food is delicious, the arrangements are perfect, she's sent out all the invitations, and no one is RSVPing because her son is a literal galactic boogieman.

I guess you're right and Kylo Ren's identity is known by only a close circle (I don't recall if Hux was even in the room with Ren and Snook when they were talking about Han Solo). I don't think that makes Leia's desire to be reunited any better considering his past. Perhaps criminal justice in the Republic is big on rehabilitation and second chances.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

He was also an old friend of Leia's.

And a worshiper of the Jedi, yes, but it still means more people than Ben's family know who he is.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Per the internet:

quote:

Greg Rucka’s Star Wars novel Before the Awakening is A) Quite good and B) Explains much about Finn’s stormtrooper training and social circle leading up to the movie.

In a nutshell: - Finn was trained in a squad of four boys: Him (FN-2187), Nines, Zero and Slip. Nines and Zero have nicknames based on their alphanumerical designations (Zero’s is FN-2003, Nines ended in 9s, etc.). Slip was called slip because he was a fuckup. - Turns out, most troopers have nicknames - Why does FN-2187 not have a nickname? Because nobody really likes him.

- An older trooper tells him straight to his face: he’s an outsider. It just happens to some troopers. - Why is this extra tragic? Is it because Finn’s a lovely trooper? NO. He’s actually top of his little trooper class. He’s the loving bomb -- with a blaster, with tactics, with hand-to-hand weapons. Phasma’s got extremely high expectations for him.

- So why is this actually extra tragic? What’s Phasma’s one problem with him? Finn cares too much. He cares about keeping his squad alive. - He cares about going back for his friends more than the mission objective SOUND FAMILIAR? - So Phasma tells him to stop coddling Slip or face consequences. He does.

- And then: the skirmish on Jakku. A trooper dies and Finn loses his final shred of faith in the First Order. Who is that trooper? SURPRISE IT IS SLIP. Basically Finn’s brother, even if he never really fit in with his squad.

- And then: the first thing Poe does is give him a nickname based on his alphanumerical designation JUST LIKE HIS TROOPER FAMILY, NINES AND ZERO AND SLIP, WHO NEVER LIKED HIM ENOUGH TO GIVE HIM ONE. IN CONCLUSION the trooper in the gifset above who recognizes Finn on sight (and who has been meme-nicknamed TR-8R) is likely Zero or Nines.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The marital problems of Han and Leia that people have been speculating about since forever let us know that happy endings are too much to expect. Beowulf, Nostoi, etc. Happily ever after is a romantic, fascist notion. Star Wars is pretty clearly anti fascist. Feudalists-- maybe. Capitalist--assuredly. Modern--completely. Thus communist influenced-- in an a day worhol way, maybe? Prequels go a lot more pomo (Im not a big fan of pomo as an ideology or an aesthetic but I can appreciate its importance). But even in the prequels, you've got a lot more Sartre and Lyoretarded. Both notably not down with fascism.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I wonder if Phasma will ever use a riot baton, giving the excuse for more close quarters fights.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Justin Godscock posted:

I'm pretty convinced that Ben will slowly turn good over the next two films:

me, on December 5th posted:

If the OT is "here's how you should be/inspirational/aspirational" and the PT is "here's what you really are/depressing/warning" then the ST should be (IMO) "here's how to get from one to the other/hopeful/guiding." The overall theme ought to be people who've done bad things, working on doing less bad things and more good things. We see shades of this already with Finn being an ex-stormtrooper.

After seeing TFA it looks more and more likely to me. They've already humanized the heck out of Ben, and he specifically talks about being conflicted, etc. I think the other half of this will be Rey seriously engaging in some dark side poo poo, not just sorta kinda flirting with it like Luke did.

She goes from wearing pale tan/white for most of TFA to gray when she finds Luke, and when she started beating Ben in the forest she had some serious rage going on. She looked like ESB Darth Vader to Ben's wounded and-scared-animal ESB Luke. I thought she was going to murder him.

Possibly not relevant, but in the wide shot where Ben and Han are on the bridge and Finn and Rey are above, watching, there's a dramatic light beam cutting across from top left where Finn and Rey are to bottom right where Ben and Han are. Finn and Rey are casting big long shadows, each of which line up with Ben or Han. Thematically, Rey and Ben should line up and Finn and Han should, but I couldn't tell if that was actually the case. If it was it's more evidence for the following:

I think she and Ben will get morally closer to one another (she'll get more evil, he'll get more good), and at the crossing point (end of VIII) they'll have their second fight. He'll win but spare her (maybe vice versa but that's not as interesting). She'll snap back to being good and he'll be on his way to final redemption, and they'll probably team up in IX. If we really want to push it, they'll fall in love. Very unlikely (especially if they're related) but possible. More likely he'll sacrifice himself, not in a last second heat of the moment turn like Vader, but with lots of forethought, possibly with everyone else trying to talk him out of it. Like Luke giving himself up to Vader in VI.

For a trilogy of trilogies, it makes sense and as far as I can tell is the only thematic direction to go.

OT - Thesis: Here's what good people are like.
PT - Antithesis: Here's what you're actually like - not good (arrogant, selfish, hypocritical, ashamed of and guilty about your wrong actions but too weak to change, self hating)
ST - Synthesis: Here's how to go from the bad person you are to the good person you deserve to be, for yourself, the people around you, and the sake of the universe.

Starkiller base reverting to the bright star it consumed instead of exploding fits thematically. The first "good guy" ship in the film is a stolen TIE. The film goes out of its way to humanize not just Finn but all stormtroopers. A lot of the imagery is "good out of evil." If the Resistance and First Order team up to beat Snoke that'd be dope. If they do it while eschewing their respective newly-built super-weapons (or after the First Order destroys the Resistance's super-weapon in VIII) that'd be even cooler.

Or I could be wrong about everything, but that all feels really consistent/rhymes, still goes somewhere interesting, and at least is not ruled out by what we saw in TFA.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 1, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

crowoutofcontext posted:

I could see the next film taking place several years later, focusing more on Finn and Poe, and having Rey also "missing" along with Luke in some sort of training or Jedi temple quest.

Hmm yes, let's take our break out international star and NOT have her be in the sequel. Brilliant!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Watching the movie again a Hux views a picture of Finn as a young boy when they research him. A minor minor nice touch.

Also jackets are very important.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm glad I don't read EU novels anymore because that Rucka poo poo (and I like Rucka) just sounds like the same over-explaining poo poo the books have always done.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm glad I don't read EU novels anymore because that Rucka poo poo (and I like Rucka) just sounds like the same over-explaining poo poo the books have always done.

It makes sense because hey, characters have histories and sometimes exploring them to better understand their motivations.
It's when these explorations jump up a butt, like having the stormtrooper who bonked his head being a force sensitive who passed out when Alderaan exploded or IG88 successfully upload himself to the death star and have pissy door fights with Palpatine when things get really stupid.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Saw the movie again and I particularly liked that that during the final fight between Kylo and Rey, the fissure in the earth appears just after Rey deals the final winning blow against Kylo. Obviously this suggests that whatever feelings of kinship he had with Rey ("You need a master...I can show you the ways of the force") have splintered. At worst it means that this loss against Rey has set Kylo off on a pure unquestioning path towards the dark side. Personally I think It would be neat if he follows through with his wishes to be evil, like luke did conversely in the OT. Irrevocably evil, as compared to Luke's unusually compassionate good in the OT.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I'm pretty convinced that Ben will slowly turn good over the next two films:

He went Columbine on the Jedi training academy, killed his father, ordered the mass murder of innocent Jakku villagers and that's just the stuff we saw on film. Guy is a literal space nazi yet somehow he's redeemable cause Star Wars.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

davecrazy posted:

He went Columbine on the Jedi training academy, killed his father, ordered the mass murder of innocent Jakku villagers and that's just the stuff we saw on film. Guy is a literal space nazi yet somehow he's redeemable cause Star Wars.

Darth Vader was also a literal space nazi who helped blow up a planet and was very plainly an all-around badguy

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Justin Godscock posted:

I get the impression that very few (as in probably anyone who was aware of Luke's new Jedi Academy) people knew that Kylo Ren is Ben Solo. It's shown that Ren slaughtered everyone under Luke's teaching which means that Luke, Han and Leia could very well be the only three that know the truth.

Why do people think everyone in Star Wars knows Ben Solo is Kylo Ren but apparently ignore the fact that in the original trilogy only four people know that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Jedit posted:

Why do people think everyone in Star Wars knows Ben Solo is Kylo Ren but apparently ignore the fact that in the original trilogy only four people know that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker?

Look everyone just has an agreement to just ignore all this Jedi/Sith poo poo and roll with it. I must say though it's still my headcannon that part of the whole reason Jedi tend to go so nutso so quickly is that the whole Jedi thing tends to teach them to suppress their emotions and leaves them with the emotional maturity of a 5 year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Gorelab posted:

Look everyone just has an agreement to just ignore all this Jedi/Sith poo poo and roll with it. I must say though it's still my headcannon that part of the whole reason Jedi tend to go so nutso so quickly is that the whole Jedi thing tends to teach them to suppress their emotions and leaves them with the emotional maturity of a 5 year old.

It seemed to work for a thousand years pretty good until Anakin. Most of the Jedi counsel seemed pretty emotionally mature. Even one of Yoda's guys who turned against the Jedi was a more nuanced antagonist who wasn't just evil but rather had specific political goals.

• Locked thread