Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

This might depend on carrier. iPhone SIM cards are provisioned for visual voicemail, while ones that came with an Android phone may not. Initial setup should transfer your account to the new SIM card, so it's not really any easier. I could be wrong, though, it's been awhile since I've done it.

I'm mostly just wondering if for any reason I have to roll back to an old Android phone at some point. If it's easier just to transfer to the new SIM I'll do that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I'm not too sure but I remember reading somewhere the SIM cards in iPhones also have an element for Apple Pay.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

serebralassazin posted:

I'm not too sure but I remember reading somewhere the SIM cards in iPhones also have an element for Apple Pay.

No there's a secure element on the CPU that stores the TouchID and ApplePay information, it's never on the SIM card.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

As someone who upgraded from a 3GS to a Galaxy Note and then later back to a 5S (current) and doesn't follow the news. Does Apple literally only release phones and products in September? The 6 and therefore the 6S looks like a horrible piece of plastic Samsung abomination even in the hand-sized version.

I desperately need to upgrade to a new phone when my contract changes in Feb and as of right now the only phones I can stand looking at 365 days of the year are Motorola Droids (or play/plus/x/whatever the hell the varieties are in Color combos literally not available to Canadians that I would have to pay to import) or a Note 5.

Do those D skins do enough work to make the 6/6S look decent again? Anyone have real-life-non-marketing photos of their phone (preferrably a 6 or 6S not a plus) in anything? Wood grain? plain col? I'd prefer to keep things simple and keep the ease of use of imsg and all my various paid apps i've bought. Though switching to Android is basically like writing yourself carte-blanche for anything you can download as an .apk

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Quick question. Does cold weather mess with the battery's sensor? I've been looking at my phone while I'm working (outside) and seen my battery status drop from 80 to 30 but it still lasts me through the day normally.

Cold weather messes with batteries. As they chill the reactions that produce the electricity slow down, reducing output.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

zolthorg posted:

As someone who upgraded from a 3GS to a Galaxy Note and then later back to a 5S (current) and doesn't follow the news. Does Apple literally only release phones and products in September? The 6 and therefore the 6S looks like a horrible piece of plastic Samsung abomination even in the hand-sized version.

I desperately need to upgrade to a new phone when my contract changes in Feb and as of right now the only phones I can stand looking at 365 days of the year are Motorola Droids (or play/plus/x/whatever the hell the varieties are in Color combos literally not available to Canadians that I would have to pay to import) or a Note 5.

Do those D skins do enough work to make the 6/6S look decent again? Anyone have real-life-non-marketing photos of their phone (preferrably a 6 or 6S not a plus) in anything? Wood grain? plain col? I'd prefer to keep things simple and keep the ease of use of imsg and all my various paid apps i've bought. Though switching to Android is basically like writing yourself carte-blanche for anything you can download as an .apk

So you think the iPhone 6s looks like a plastic piece of poo poo but this is your version of an ideal iPhone skin?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zolthorg posted:

Apple releases products year round. They've mostly settled on September/October for iOS devices, and Spring/Summer for Macs.

Have you considered putting it in an orange silicone Apple case?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

FCKGW posted:

So you think the iPhone 6s looks like a plastic piece of poo poo but this is your version of an ideal iPhone skin?

haha oh wow those things look bad

Endless Mike posted:

Apple releases products year round. They've mostly settled on September/October for iOS devices, and Spring/Summer for Macs.

Have you considered putting it in an orange silicone Apple case?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcMzfuvW558

I guess these look alright. Its still a case though. Why can't we just have an iphone 5SS

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The iphone is made mostly of metal and glass fyi.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it's not often you hear complaint about how the phone looks or feels. It's a fine handset.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Mulva posted:

No there's a secure element on the CPU that stores the TouchID and ApplePay information, it's never on the SIM card.

This is what I was thinking of
Specific Nano Sim needed for NFC

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So here's my scenario: iPod Touch 5G running iOS 7.0. Becoming increasingly reluctantly tempted to grab the current iOS for expanded game/app support. I haven't jailbroken and frankly don't have any reason to, but my main reservations are: how badly on average has iOS 9 broken the older, no-longer-updated apps, and does iFunbox 3.0 play nice with it? I know IFB 3.0 was introduced specifically to address the lockout introduced with iOS 8.3, but I can't find any straight answers one way or another as to whether that's an ongoing back-and-forth or if Apple's decided to ignore them again for the time being.

That and I guess is iOS 9.2 still a buggy mess or are all the complaints I'm hearing just fringe cases and it's actually not that terrible
I've got a 64gb iPod touch 5 on 9.2 and while I only use it for some apps windows phone doesn't have, the older apps that I got some time ago seem to work fine. I can't speak to iFunbox specifically since I don't have it. I will say that starting with iOS 7 I thought iOS itself started to lag a bit, but since you're on 7 now, it should be fine; I didn't notice any slow down between 7 and 9.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I switched my T-Mobile SIM form an android (HTC One M8) to an iPhone 6 and had zero issues. Literally just popped it out of the android and into the iPhone and that was that. Visual voicemail and Apple Pay have worked flawlessly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zolthorg posted:

I guess these look alright. Its still a case though. Why can't we just have an iphone 5SS
Because it's 2015 and people want larger phones. I'd probably buy a smaller one if they made it with equal internal bits, though.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah it's not often you hear complaint about how the phone looks or feels. It's a fine handset.
The plastic RF windows are really ugly. The 4/4S was really the peak of iPhone design.

Selane
May 19, 2006

dik-dik posted:

I switched my T-Mobile SIM form an android (HTC One M8) to an iPhone 6 and had zero issues. Literally just popped it out of the android and into the iPhone and that was that. Visual voicemail and Apple Pay have worked flawlessly.

Yeah, I've used the same SIM for quite a few phones now without any problems.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Quick question. Does cold weather mess with the battery's sensor? I've been looking at my phone while I'm working (outside) and seen my battery status drop from 80 to 30 but it still lasts me through the day normally.

Depends on your definition of "cold" as well. There was another poster who was having battery issues in 30 degree weather thinking that was considered cold. It's not. I've used my iPhone in -10 to 15 degree weather for hours at a time (backcountry snowboarding) and have had zero issues with my phone's battery and battery sensor.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

Because it's 2015 and people want larger phones. I'd probably buy a smaller one if they made it with equal internal bits, though.

The plastic RF windows are really ugly. The 4/4S was really the peak of iPhone design.

It was actually the iPhone 5, in slate.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Still getting all setup and used to how weird and different iOS is, but everything seems pretty much in place. BeWeather widget seems like it more or less covers what I need (wish it was a little more tweakable but it's fine). The Widgets aren't quite as nice as Android in general, but they aren't bad for the stuff I use them for.

Stuff that will probably take me a while to get used to:
- No haptic on keypress
- Can't cram more than 4 icons on the home row (I swear I've done this on a different iOS device, might have been an iPad?)
- Can't lock icons in place on the home screen and they move all over when the phone rotates ahhh

First mind blowing thing: Deep touch the keyboard to slide the cursor around. So good.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Guys my 5 year old phone sucks, this is Apple's fault that technology gets outdated.

http://m.slashdot.org/story/304699

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It's only Apple's fault that you can't install anything but the current OS, even on hardware it sucks on.

And that they were selling that five-year old phone new a year or two ago.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"I'm so mad about being forced to buy a $800 phone upgrade I'm going to spend tens of thousands to sue apple so I can keep using my cheaper and obsolete phone."

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Google Music Manager seems to be hopelessly incompetent for some reason and I can't even get it to work on my PC. Is there a recommended app to use instead of iTunes to just load music onto my iPhone without hassle or ads/malware?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

smackfu posted:

It's only Apple's fault that you can't install anything but the current OS, even on hardware it sucks on.

And that they were selling that five-year old phone new a year or two ago.

They haven't sold it since 2013 and people would equally complain if they stopped releasing updates on their phone they just bought. It's very much a case of damned if you do damned if you don't and Apple is in the right for offering patches that fix security issues.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Well I think the issue is that they only sign 9.2 so if you upgrade to it and find out that it runs like poo poo on your lovely phone then you're kind of stuck.

Also it's very possible that I don't know what I'm talking about, but couldn't they keep patching security issues for iOS 8 or 7 or whatever? Or would that be too much of a hassle to be worth it?

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 1, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope, security patches for old OS releases are super common everywhere else in the world except phones. Makes no sense to me but I'm not an Apple CEO.

Eventually support is killed off.. but it's after several years. Not the instant a new version is released.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think it's because they prefer that you to buy a new phone as soon as the old one feels slow.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

withak posted:

I think it's because they prefer that you to buy a new phone as soon as the old one feels slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFuPixjzm8Q

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xzzy posted:

Nope, security patches for old OS releases are super common everywhere else in the world except phones. Makes no sense to me but I'm not an Apple CEO.

Eventually support is killed off.. but it's after several years. Not the instant a new version is released.
You typically pay for those OSes though

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EL BROMANCE posted:

Feels sure, but the 6 and 6S have been widely criticised for the camera wart and ugly two-tone bands.

E:F;B

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 1, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

~Coxy posted:

Feels sure, but the 6 and 6S have been widely criticised for the camera wart and ugly two-tone bands.

By autists.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

You typically pay for those OSes though

Guarantee the cost of iOS is factored into the device cost.

Apple doesn't charge for OSX anymore either.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

~Coxy posted:

The camera wart is annoying but the bands are fine. I think the phone actually looks better with them than it would without them (I've seen photoshops and it just looks... naked)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I'm seconding the vote of iPhone 5/5S as the best design. Personally, I couldn't go back to the 5S from the 6S screen size wise, but the 5 series definitely looks better to me then the 6 series. I think it's the top and bottom glass.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The texture of the 5/5S was better too, it didn't feel as slippery. The bevel was made out of styrofoam though, if you looked at it wrong it would scratch.

I liked the power button on the top way more as well, I am constantly bumping the side power button when watching videos on my 6s.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Never have been a fan of the rounded edges of the 6/6S

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Love the 6/6s but the side sleep button still pisses me off to no end. The only thing I hate about this design.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I keep having issues with Siri. She will recognize what I say but then can't act on it- for example if I try to make a call, it will show on the screen what I said and after a few seconds she will say "Uh oh, I couldn't make your call."

Anyone run in to this before?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Love the 6/6s but the side sleep button still pisses me off to no end. The only thing I hate about this design.

No way you'd be able to reach a top button on the Plus versions.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No way you'd be able to reach a top button on the Plus versions.
I have a 6 and I don't even get close to pushing where a top sleep button would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The rounded edges and overall slipperiness FORCED me to buy a case.

How do I sue Apple for $30 ?