Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Libluini posted:

Do you know what bothers me? Because the galactic map of Elite is basically just the disc and nothing else, not a single one of our globular clusters, even the really close ones, are implemented. Together with the (presumably) missing Halo and the missing hydrogen bridge to our galactic neighbours, this irks me to no end.

I know, right? Even the globular clusters located really near to the galactic plane, like M22, don't seem to be in the game at all. It's rather frustrating. And open star clusters, because of the way the game draws them in the galactic map, are almost invisible because they're overwhelmed by the massive amount of red dwarf stars. It's annoying that all stars are drawn at basically the same brightness. I tried to visit NGC 869 and 884 (the Double Cluster) and found that it's basically completely indistinguishable from the rest of the region.

Also, the Pleiades nebula should be blue, not yellow. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So I've heard nothing but bad things about this game, but I'm still intrigued. Is it worth the price tag if I don't have any experience with this sort of game and wold be playing with a mouse and keyboard?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I`m thinking about going exploring.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper_mk_iv/04A4A4A2D3A3D4C1b1b17170404450q2t272i2f.AwRj4jXI.Aw1-kA==
http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/04A4A4A3D3A3D4C1b1b18180404450q32272i2f.AwRj4jXI.Aw1-kA==

I like the Viper because it is cheaper. But people seem to like the cobra. Which is better?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Verranicus posted:

So I've heard nothing but bad things about this game, but I'm still intrigued. Is it worth the price tag if I don't have any experience with this sort of game and wold be playing with a mouse and keyboard?

Mouse and keyboard are arguably the best way to play.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Dabir posted:

Mouse and keyboard are arguably the best way to play.

I bought a Logitech 3D Joystick today and the game controls SOOO much easier with it...totally worth the $35 I paid at BBuy.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Verranicus posted:

Personal opinion having just started: it does have limits to what you can do if you want to start thinking really big (you can't blow up stations or wipe out main factions) and its still in a kinda early "make your own fun" state (there's no goal or capstone event, you just kinda buy better and better parts until you make a ship that's really really good at what you want it to do) but its still really fun as a space dogfighting and trading game. Basically you just can't do space empire building.

I play KB+M and am doing fine. I hear people say controller and throttle is so much better but I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Luneshot posted:

Probably different distance estimates from different sources, maybe? Either way, it bothers me a ridiculous amount. I did find it interesting that they included targets that are literally impossible to get to ingame- NGC 40, for example, is too far away from the galactic plane to have any neighboring stars within even a boosted jump range.

Some things are really far away.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

Oh, so there are Halo-stars. :allears:

Now we just need a way to visit them!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

I like the Cobra, but either way ditch the hull reenforcement and put in another fuel tank. And if you're not planning on a long run ditch the AMU and add more fuel. And if it were me I would ditch the class 4 shield, put a fuel tank in that slot, and put on a class 3 shield. I would also ditch all weapons for better jump range if you plan on staying outside the bubble for a bit.

For the two builds you posted, the Cobra will be quite a bit better if only for the fuel scoop.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

KakerMix posted:

:stare: Dang, I want to visit that purely for the incredible view of the Milky Way. Maybe sometime I should do a trip where I just try to go as far above or below the galactic plane as possible, see how that looks.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Verranicus posted:

I've always played this with a mouse and keyboard and it's loving cool. You'll need a little imagination for missions/setting etc, but E:D nails flying a lonely spaceship in the deep dark like nothing else.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I like the Cobra, but either way ditch the hull reenforcement and put in another fuel tank. And if you're not planning on a long run ditch the AMU and add more fuel. And if it were me I would ditch the class 4 shield, put a fuel tank in that slot, and put on a class 3 shield. I would also ditch all weapons for better jump range if you plan on staying outside the bubble for a bit.

For the two builds you posted, the Cobra will be quite a bit better if only for the fuel scoop.

So is there just absolutely nothing that shoots at you outside the bubble?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Luneshot posted:

:stare: Dang, I want to visit that purely for the incredible view of the Milky Way. Maybe sometime I should do a trip where I just try to go as far above or below the galactic plane as possible, see how that looks.

I think to get that far, you'll need a jump range in the thousands. What we have available will only disappoint you.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DreadLlama posted:

Yet :tinfoil:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Oh how I wish we had a timeline on this.. The in-game hints and poo poo leading up to possible thargoids is killing me.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Get the original for $15, instead of Horizons for $60, and it definitely is worth that so far. Buy a cheap $30 Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X and find some good button mappings and it's just fun to fly around and explore, then decide if you want to shoot stuff or trade or whatever.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

Oh how I wish we had a timeline on this.. The in-game hints and poo poo leading up to possible thargoids is killing me.

Yeah, it's like with me and planned ships. Regularly we get only hard info when the beta arrives and people can look at new ships directly. Frontier is so ludicrously opaque about details. Someone should tell them there's a fine line between hype and frustating your customers and they've left the line behind them by 10k light years. :argh:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I found a super hell planet that's even better than the first one.

The main star of this system is an O class and it spins kind of fast. I honestly get a little scared every time I jump into an O/B/A system, they're just so awe inspiring :3:

https://gfycat.com/SilkyViciousIntermediateegret

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Libluini posted:

I think to get that far, you'll need a jump range in the thousands. What we have available will only disappoint you.

HIP 77716 is something like 27kly away from Sol so yeah, multiple thousands. If you are in the galaxy map the blue clouds, the clusters that we can't get to, those have volume, they have 'space' within the galaxy map your view is just locked far away from them. When the game first launched they were background pictures, now they are volumetric like any nebula or the galactic plane itself. :tinfoil:

Luneshot posted:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 1, 2016

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Since this is Elite Astronomical Accuracy Complaint Hour, I'm gonna complain about the fact that none of the stars seem to ever have starspots, despite being, like, ridiculously common. It'd certainly make the stars look slightly more interesting than just completely uniform spheres with the same textures in different colors on them.

Also, I feel like T-Tauri stars, or at least very young ones, should have a circumstellar dust disk to help distinguish them from other, regular stars. Like this image!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HL_Tauri

preview edit:

I want to live here.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Verranicus posted:

The default kb/m controls are god loving awful, I spent a bunch of time loving around trying to make them work but in the end I just jacked this guy's binds and they are in fact very good and should be the default.

For 15 bucks on sale at least the base game is 100% worth buying, if you can accept that it's extremely unfriendly to new players due to the mission system being all jacked up.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 1, 2016

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Taking it as a given that I`m not going to be the first guy to meet space aliens, what`s the best fit for general exploring if your net worth is in the 5 million range?

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

DreadLlama posted:

Taking it as a given that I`m not going to be the first guy to meet space aliens, what`s the best fit for general exploring if your net worth is in the 5 million range?

Probably a Type-6.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

DreadLlama posted:

There's a one in a million chance you run in to another player that decides to shoot you, but your odds of running out of fuel are a lot larger than your odds of actually finding that person. If you play in solo then there is nothing.

Eventually there might be aliens but you'll hear all about it way before you see any.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Gasoline posted:

Probably a Type-6.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/type_6_transporter/02A4D4A2D2D2D4C-----f5f5f40q2t2i2f.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA== ?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 1, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

DreadLlama posted:

Cobra 3/Viper 4 is a good general anything but 5 million's a bit of a squeeze. The Advanced Scanner's 1.6-ish million by itself, add on an A-rank FSD (which is another million and change) which leaves little left over for rebuys etc.

If you want a general 'go to interesting places and do whatever there' I threw this Cobra 3 together:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/03A4D4A3D3A3D4C272718180000483403f2v62f.Iw1-kA==.MwBjYRnaVECYRA==

If you want a general 'scanning swaths of the galaxy just because you can' here's a Viper 4:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper_mk_iv/02A4D4A2D3A3D4C------B33402v62i2f.Iw1-kA==.MwBj4yQJjI==

Planetary hangars are there if you're interested/have horizons but can be swapped out for fuel tanks, more cargo etc. Main things are the lightweight equipment, undersized A class powerplants for heat dissipation, big FSD's for jump range and a large but not bank-breaking fuel scoop.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 1, 2016

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Holy crap I didn't even look at how much a 5A fuel scoop costs. That's an issue to consider.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Exploring:
Some nice writeups of what's been found so far.

Or if you're looking for some ideas for a route, you could try the Beagle trip.

DreadLlama posted:

Cobra MK3's were the early go-to exploration craft before the Asp came in so they can work well enough to get your feet wet. An Asp gets you up to a range of 30LY+ which amounts roughly to 30 jumps per 1000LY. But that still sets you back at least $15 million (ship and kit).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

DreadLlama posted:

Holy crap I didn't even look at how much a 5A fuel scoop costs. That's an issue to consider.

Just get a lower class one. It'll be much cheaper and still scoop quickly enough, unless you're going to make a 10,000ly trip where those extra 30 seconds of scooping will add up.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Out of curiosity, does anyone here have any experience with the Imperial Eagle? I'm still bounty hunting in a "Do Everything" Adder, and it works... okay, but it could be better. There are probably quicker ships to use like, for example, a regular Eagle. But I was looking at Empire ships and seeing if I could also justify maybe ranking up with them while doing whatever.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Several hours and about 7.5 million in bribe money later the Federation has deemed me a big enough patriot to buy their poo poo. The system works!

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Hehehehehe!

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

DreadLlama posted:

An adder?

Just looking, no lander: http://coriolis.io/outfit/adder/02A2D3A1D2D3D3C---02-0k2t-2f2i.Iw1+kA==.Aw1+kA==?bn=Adder-Xa

You can tweak it a bit to add a lander package and bump up the thrusters, but it cuts your jump ranger by a few LY.

Plek fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 1, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Insert name here posted:

Several hours and about 7.5 million in bribe money later the Federation has deemed me a big enough patriot to buy their poo poo. The system works!

Where can I do this for the Empire? gently caress this piddly rep payout for missions.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Happy new year to fellow DF

Let's make this the year of the frog

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Where can I do this for the Empire? gently caress this piddly rep payout for missions.
I've been using this https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3y2trw/empire_ranking_in_20_donations_shmonations/
It's a bit more work than just grinding donations but
1) It's way more fun imho
2) You're actually making (pretty decent) money while doing it too

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah I'm not doing that. Spent an evening and didn't even get a rank.

alr
May 14, 2009

Insert name here posted:

Same except like 200k and some food

Hardpoint placement status: complete balls. Two large weapons above and below the cockpit mean you have a very limited angle and a minimum distance where both will actually converge onto the target. The two medium hardpoints are set underneath and wayyy back, so at anything past 400 or so meters you need to pitch up to where the target is below your line of sight to actually get any projectile to land. I solved it by putting shotguns there and getting up in their face but some more versatility would be nice.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Which is the better bang for your buck Explorer ship, the Asp Explorer or the Diamondback Explorer?

Emphasis on bang for your buck, given the price difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lankiveil
Feb 23, 2001

Forums Minimalist
Is there a trick for fuel scooping? From what I've read, I just need to fly close-ish to a star in supercruise, but I always end up getting too close and having to emergency stop, without getting so much as the fuel scoop HUD popping up. I've checked and the scoop is powered. What am I missing?

• Locked thread