Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gensuki posted:

Does Linvala count herself in her ability? Like if they have one bear, do you not get angel buddy?

She does, which makes her way worse than she would be if you always got the token when you cast her as your only creature into an opponent's 1+ creature(s).

JerryLee posted:

Will it be the best candidate for the role rather than just being one you're rarely unhappy with? I have no idea.

That's kinda the problem. I mean she's not a bad card, it just feels like when you get up to the 6+ mana range there's always gonna be more impactful and resilient things you can cast.

If you're a classic control deck, your opponent hasn't used their removal spells on anything else, so dealing with a 5/5 and a 3/3 that both die to nearly everything is probably not a huge problem for them. Control decks like cards like Ojutai and Aetherling as finishers because they want to be able to blank their opponent's removal, or at least least be sure they can have counter-magic up for it.

I don't think the new Linvala is a bad card, and I wouldn't be surprised if it finds a home somewhere in Standard, but I don't think it's the finisher control decks are looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I found two foil ZEN Eldrazi temples while looking for my Gaddock Teeg, which I have 3 of. :peanut:

Frog of War
May 1, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

For the lulz, dammit.

Yawgmoth posted:

You are a bad bad person for making me want to figure out how to make this happen reliably.

Maybe?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I just need to figure out how to get a prerelease stamped Kozilek.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

I desperately, desperately wish this could end up as a real standard deck.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

I don't think the new Linvala is a bad card, and I wouldn't be surprised if it finds a home somewhere in Standard, but I don't think it's the finisher control decks are looking for.

Even if it is, it's at least a rotation away from being the most impressive finisher, and for all we know SOI will have Avacyn 2: Ojutai Cosplay Edition, so any discussion is occurring in a vacuum.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Kilo147 posted:

I just need to figure out how to get a prerelease stamped Kozilek.

Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

I still want a pre ulamog because my birthday is on it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Gensuki posted:

That one I think is because she fits into a UW control deck very well.

Hard to remove, split between two bodies, one being a 5/5, one being a 3/3 .

You will be down on life v any aggro deck or midrange deck.

You will be down on creatures v any aggro or midrange deck.

The odds of both of her abilities being on is pretty high. 8 flying power and gaining 5 life can save you a lot of the time, and 6 mana in this standard isn't that crazy.
She does not seem like a control card in any way to me and there's no reason to play the card over Ojutai for 2 mana less. And in any other deck, you have no real control over whether you get any extra value out of the card (beyond intentionally getting behind behind on life or board) and the floor of a 5/5 flier for 6 isn't good enough, even in Standard.

Entropic posted:

She does, which makes her way worse than she would be if you always got the token when you cast her as your only creature into an opponent's 1+ creature(s).

That's kinda the problem. I mean she's not a bad card, it just feels like when you get up to the 6+ mana range there's always gonna be more impactful and resilient things you can cast.

If you're a classic control deck, your opponent hasn't used their removal spells on anything else, so dealing with a 5/5 and a 3/3 that both die to nearly everything is probably not a huge problem for them. Control decks like cards like Ojutai and Aetherling as finishers because they want to be able to blank their opponent's removal, or at least least be sure they can have counter-magic up for it.

I mean, the biggest issue is that Dragonlords aren't rotating out so there's no real reason why Esper Dragons and the Dragonlords that go with them are going to stop being the control deck of choice. My concern with Linvala is that in a non-control deck, you have no real way of ensuring you actually get value from the second and third abilities the way you do with say, Wingmate Roc (a better card which happens to be a non-bo with Linvala).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 1, 2016

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

rabidsquid posted:

Like almost every single good Delve card is just a card that is overcosted but good if you can pay for the Delve cost instead.

Isn't this like, every alternate cost card ever?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Deceiver of Forms + 5 Eldrazi Scions or other creatures, with Conduit revealed to the Deceiver trigger, can cast Ugin for free.

I want to hear Cedric going berserk over Deceiver triggers.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Devor posted:

Deceiver of Forms + 5 Eldrazi Scions or other creatures, with Conduit revealed to the Deceiver trigger, can cast Ugin for free.

I want to hear Cedric going berserk over Deceiver triggers.

"creature"

Mr. Jive posted:

Alternate costs. Makin' a card good until it isn't.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AlternateNu posted:

"creature"

Alternate costs. Makin' a card good until it isn't.

I think he meant Ulamog.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mr. Jive posted:

Sure? None of them are fun or interesting either. Except for that Eldrazi you can cast with Eldrazi Spawn, he is both fun and interesting.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
force of will is a fun and interesting card

and should be reprinted at common in ogw

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

there are alternate cost cards that are bad in both modes

the first examples that jump to mind for me are some of the awful poo poo creatures in masques block, probably because I opened them from boosters

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I have to say its pretty funny that PVDDR listed Drana, Liberator of Malakir as his "Overrated Card of the Year" when it preordered for like $10, still costs like $7 in the same year in which Narset pre-ordered for $50 and saw approximately no play.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 1, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Angry Grimace posted:

I have to say its pretty funny that PVDDR listed Drana, Liberator of Malakir as his "Overrated Card of the Year" when it preordered for like $10, still costs like $7 in the same year in which Narset pre-ordered for $50 and saw approximately no play.

I think Drana's main problem is being a 3cmc card needing double place in a standard of decks wanting three colors early. She may see some action in Soho standard.

He said, owning like seven of them.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Skyshroud Cutter actually got played in Vintage at one time, as part of Stompy decks that played only 8-10 lands.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Looks like there's another minor spike.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Angry Grimace posted:

I think he meant Ulamog.

I did. Why do we have so many U-bombs

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Looks like there's another minor spike.

That seems pretty minor since its an old card. Glen Elendra Archmage is a lot funnier.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Angry Grimace posted:

Drana is a fun card that is also situationally good, Narset is an amazing looking card that ended up never finding a home.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

bravesword posted:

Skyshroud Cutter actually got played in Vintage at one time, as part of Stompy decks that played only 8-10 lands.

SMH if you didn't play Skyshroud Cutter in your False Cure combo deck

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The problem with drana is mantis rider.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bugsy posted:

The legendary part is also a problem. Drana still saw more play than Narset in all levels of play I am sure.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Drana's gonna be great with her buddies Kalitas and Olivia once we get back to Innistrad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Voyager I posted:

This by itself might be enough to make Allies playable, though it's gonna be loving terrifying with Eldrazi decks too.

It's like a poor man's Coat of Arms.

If you have enough Eldrazi on the field for this to matter you're already going to be way ahead.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Bugsy posted:

The deck that wants to play drana is also playing draconic roar and a buncha dragons.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

My new years resolution is to not open my boosters next year and buy my singles straight out.

So I decided hey why not, let's open one last pack.

Modern Masters 2015.
Dismember.
Ulamog.
Foil Emrakul.

gently caress.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

My new years resolution is to not open my boosters next year and buy my singles straight out.

Modern Masters 2015.
Dismember.
Ulamog.
Foil Emrakul.

gently caress.

You've ended on a high note at least.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Modern Masters 2015.
Dismember.
Ulamog.
Foil Emrakul.

gently caress.

Dude c'mon just open one more maaaaaaan

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Modern Masters 2015.
Dismember.
Ulamog.
Foil Emrakul.

gently caress.

I think that would do the opposite of what it does to you. To me it would tell me my luck has run out, quit on a high note. How come you put Dismember as a relevant card? It's worth, like, a buck.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

That's a great resolution. I think I'll join you.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

I still want a pre ulamog because my birthday is on it.

They are going for way too goddamn much, though. I mean goddamn.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Kilo147 posted:

They are going for way too goddamn much, though. I mean goddamn.

Ulamog isn't even $40 and he's actually playable though?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

suicidesteve posted:

Ulamog isn't even $40 and he's actually playable though?

The prerelease stamped foil version. Not the normal one.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Opened a Gift Box from Christmas and hey EXP Blood Crypt! (It's the least expensive non-BOFAland Expedition, but hey, still $70 so I threw it in my Grixis Twin deck, which conveniently has exactly 1 Blood Crypt).

Drana chat: Drana's biggest problem is that we're still in fantasy world 4 color bullshit where its easier to cast Mantis Rider, Crackling Doom and/or Siege Rhino than it is to cast Drana.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
I feel like a WOTC-pushed superfriends deck is greasy

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Terrible Horse posted:

I feel like a WOTC-pushed superfriends deck is greasy

These superfriends agree, eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So I do a cube draft, win the first round in 10 minutes, and figure hey, I'll go play some Pauper league. Play my match, takes 18 minutes, and go back to my cube oh hey I lost due to timeout. Apparently the game started behind my MTGO main screen and didn't bother to pop up an alert in my task bar or in the bottom corner. Good times.

didn't want to play this deck anyway god drat I hate MTGO so much why is it such a horrible program.

• Locked thread