Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Staying inside and watching some nerds play KOTOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheRealestMatt posted:

I kinda wish people would focus more on what Woolie and I think, is some incredibly funny/silly commentary, which is kinda why they are supposed to be watching, and not our passing distaste for a mini-game that constitutes less than 0.1% of FFX.

Yeah, I looked at the comments and I'm just completely baffled by this. :psyduck: It's a lovely minigame that you don't get adequate instructions and a chance to play before having to spend half an hour saving Yuna because the party is full of the worst Guardians ever. WHO GIVES A poo poo?!

Rodyle posted:

Oh right Woolie has that weird love affair with Lost Odyssey

Lost Odyssey is a fun JRPG with good jokes that is poorly placed and also like six disks.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 1, 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Man, we throw some shade in ol' Woolz direction but the things he's doing with Wakka's racism are AMAZING, he's on loving FIRE in the latest Vessel episode.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rodyle posted:

Staying inside and watching some nerds play KOTOR

which nerds are kotoring did I miss a star wars week video

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

which nerds are kotoring did I miss a star wars week video

Different nerds, Spoiler Warning

E: who are actually doing a ck2 stream right now that I forgot about

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rodyle posted:

Did you know that there's a warhammer fantasy mod out for CK2 now?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rodyle posted:

Oh. Nevermind then!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Did you know that there's a warhammer fantasy mod out for CK2 now?

Sounds bad!

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lost Odyssey is a game I have thought about tracking down for years because I heard that it has a similar combat system to Final Fantasy X. I'm not sure if it's a good game though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Just spent a chunk of new year's waiting by watching Ultimax, vessel's just letting it free for some reason.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

cmykjester posted:

Lost Odyssey is a game I have thought about tracking down for years because I heard that it has a similar combat system to Final Fantasy X. I'm not sure if it's a good game though.

The combat is nothing like FFX. It's more like a suikoden game with Quicktime action for physical attacks. It also makes players quit on the 2nd boss because it's a DPS race (if you have the right equipment on) and just barely winnable unless you grind hard.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

cmykjester posted:

It's solid, nothing earthshattering or anything. The gameplay is pretty standard outside of the timing ring tied to physical attacks (it's less annoying than it sounds) so if you're itching for a modern-looking game with a lot of classic RPG systems you can do a LOT worse than Lost Odyssey. The best part for me (and probably a lot of people) was the 1000 Years of Memories, which are essentially just a bunch of short stories you collect across the world designed to deliberately tug at your heartstrings.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cmykjester posted:

It's pretty different from FFX. Normal attacks have a little minigame to them that influences how much damage you do. Mortal characters learn skills by gaining levels and can make use of skills granted to them from accessories.But unlike the Immortals, they can't be learned permanently and disappear when you take the accessories off. All of the mortal characters learn new skills by levelling up. Immortal characters on the other hand learn new skills by either Skill Linking with a mortal ally, or by wearing accessories in combat. Skill Linking gives the Immortal access to the skills that mortals possess. It's built a lot differently from FFX since they're constantly acknowledging the whole Mortal vs Immortal thing.

There's an LP of it going on if you wanna have a look for yourself. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732875

Tae posted:

The combat is nothing like FFX. It's more like a suikoden game with Quicktime action for physical attacks. It also makes players quit on the 2nd boss because it's a DPS race (if you have the right equipment on) and just barely winnable unless you grind hard.

It's not like you can really grind though, what with the area level caps.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 1, 2016

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
was lost odyssey the one with the hilariously offensive gay character or is that another early-in-a-console-cycle RPG I'm thinking of

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

FFX has good voice acting. My evidence is the laughing scene. The laughing is SUPPOSED to be bad, but the actors are so GOOD at it people think it's ACTUALLY bad. Now that's skill.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

was lost odyssey the one with the hilariously offensive gay character or is that another early-in-a-console-cycle RPG I'm thinking of

I think you might be thinking Enchanted Arms which came out a year prior

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Angry_Ed posted:

I think you might be thinking Enchanted Arms which came out a year prior

yep that's the one

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Man Blitzball is so much more fun when it is Inazuma Eleven.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 1, 2016

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Can someone explain last week's Blazblue joke to me? Why do they hate the game so much, and why was the fisticuffs just a lets watch of the opening cutscenes. And if they don't like he game why was that Fisticuffs and not Scrublords.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Can someone explain last week's Blazblue joke to me? Why do they hate the game so much, and why was the fisticuffs just a lets watch of the opening cutscenes. And if they don't like he game why was that Fisticuffs and not Scrublords.

poorly thought out joke video

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rodyle posted:

Sounds bad!

It's actually surprisingly great.

I decided to start out as a nomadic Khorne ruler, steamrolled my lone Tzeentch-worshiping neighbor, used the prestige to hold a deathmatch tournament for Khorne, among the other entrants I killed all three of my sons and both my courtiers, got a ton of respect from winning the whole shebang and from that an even bigger army of lunatics to continue rolling my unfortunate Slaaneshi/Nurglite neighbors. It's A+ poo poo.

Like I shouldn't be so amazed at how much a team of dedicated dudes can do in a mod, but drat if I'm not in this case.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 1, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The term "feature creep" comes to mind.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Blockhouse posted:

Depending on what you mean by offensive, cause over-the-top gay is a regular occurrence. Shadow Covenant 2 had a gay vampire luchadore in WW2 era.

edit: Matt, please tell me at some point you realize to turn on Short Cutscene for the summoning.

Tae fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 1, 2016

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

In FFX part 13, during the laughing scene, I took a drink.

I very nearly choked on it when Woolie shouted "YEAH THAT MAKES SENSE"

Bless you, Woolie.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Do they bump up the game volume volume in later ffx episodes? I watched the first one when it came out and they talk about how the voice acting is so weird but I can't hear it literally at all.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
scubagabon

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I genuinely forgot the arena fight ends with Seymore showing up and summoning his summon. How was that not an instant 'oh, you're the bad guy'. I thought he just cast a spell to do it, but nope, he just summons THE BEAST WHAT WEEPS BLOOD FROM THE PITS OF HELL

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Anima is metal as all hell and I love it, the best part of Seymour's existence.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

goldblums eyes posted:

Do they bump up the game volume volume in later ffx episodes? I watched the first one when it came out and they talk about how the voice acting is so weird but I can't hear it literally at all.

I'll mention this to Woolie, as he edits FFX.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Where are today's vessel episodes, need my new year old hunt

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
Wish I could say, the Vessel content for today was scheduled by Woolie and Pat. I assume it'll be up today?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You should know better than to leave it in their hands, you saw how long things were dragged out last time they were left alone on something!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Remember that time you got married so those guys hosted a panel for a handful of people they knew and a stranger that just wanted to sit somewhere?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TheRealestMatt posted:

Wish I could say, the Vessel content for today was scheduled by Woolie and Pat. I assume it'll be up today?

kill them

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

FFX went up but no OH, god drat it Pat I want to see you get your poo poo pushed in!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Apparently the majority of anime chat thread is prejudiced against autistic folks like myself since my avatar farts now. How loving embarassing.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Apparently the majority of anime chat thread is prejudiced against autistic folks like myself since my avatar farts now. How loving embarassing.

'grats

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I'm too afraid to watch the new fisticuffs to see if it's real or not.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nevermind the problem was that I was more tight-assed than Stannis about everything in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm glad that we, the members of the super best friends play community thread, could help you hash this out