Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Barnyard Protein posted:

i'm in netbeans 99% of the time
:staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

why yes i am developing netbeans plugins for a 3rd party netbeans platform that is undocumented and generally incompatible with the base platform. pls ask me about my sadbrains and active job search

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

lack of support for data first design and no maven are the only 2 glaring problems with Microsoft as a dev platform. the later may be universal, but its still annoying.

nuget :iamafag:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

eschaton posted:

can't you also have the parameters and results of stored procedures be objects and have Hibernate do the translation automatically, like EOF could?

yeah of course, but then you are deper into ORM land though. if you had POJOs already for the your stuff, which likely, then its not hard to tell it dump the results of your raw SQL queries into a set of those POJOs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nuget 3 at least acknowledges that transitive dependencies are a thing

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

facebook is congratulating people on 46 years of friendship. lmao

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

triple sulk posted:

facebook is congratulating people on 46 years of friendship. lmao

lol took me a sec

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

i wonder how often folks born on 1/1/1970 run into weird bugs from crappy code thinking their bdate is undefined

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shaggar posted:

Nuget 3 at least acknowledges that transitive dependencies are a thing

nuget is rly bad compared to maven + any artifact repo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah i hate nuget

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nuget and ef. both so bad.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

is it nougat or nugget

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

is it nougat or nugget
its nugget like the nugget of poo poo that won't flush

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

~Coxy posted:

2. disagree. it is very hard to version because of a proliferation of update scripts. usually these update scripts change multiple objects as one "atomic" operation associated with smoke kind of "release". you can stick these update scripts as files in your source control but that's not very good versioning.

sounds like you're doing something wrong, but it's unclear as to what with such a vague complaint. having to write update scripts manually sucks, but i don't see how it makes versioning difficult unless you're only writing update scripts and not keeping a script in source control that creates the db from scratch

~Coxy posted:

3. disagree. you can't* debug it and you can't* unit test it. you can't* refactor it and you can't* see what dependencies something may have

* i am of course aware that there are various tools to help with all these things. the point is that the tools are invariably crap and certainly nowhere near the quality and usefulness of what we have easily accessible (and free/included) within our "real code" development environments.

i've never found myself wanting a debugger for sql, since the sort of things that you should be doing in sql are a very good fit for debugging in a repl, and all sql servers have very good repls

you unit test sql exactly the same way you unit test any other code: you set up some test data, you call your function on it, you verify that you got the result you expect, and then you throw away all your state

you can factor your sql into functions, stored procedures and views

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
yo i gotta write a lightweight app that exposes a restful api and does a bunch of resource collection

the rub is that it's queried from localhost and it has to be really fast ala vault and consul

my coworkers are thinking about writing it as a node app using express for routing but i feel like something like erlang or haskell would be a better fit but idk that's why i'm a terrible programmer

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I think the 'really fast' is going to come from how it's connecting to the restful stuff it's exposing. I mean if you choose a dog slow framework you'll have issues too, but provided the requests are more GET than POST & Friends your caching strategy and data store connection are probably where you need to optimise.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
all requests are GET for now

really i'm looking for a great way to do routing/pattern matching that doesn't add too much overhead

the service is going to be hitting s3 endpoints and parsing a bunch of different files, so it's not going to be super fast, but it needs to be stable as a long-running service

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

node is fast and good

Typical Yosposter
Mar 30, 2015
nodejs owns #wow #whoa

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Blinkz0rz posted:

yo i gotta write a lightweight app that exposes a restful api and does a bunch of resource collection

the rub is that it's queried from localhost and it has to be really fast ala vault and consul

my coworkers are thinking about writing it as a node app using express for routing but i feel like something like erlang or haskell would be a better fit but idk that's why i'm a terrible programmer
this sounds like premature optimization. unless you know for a fact that you need to support ridiculous request rates/data rates, just use whatever web framework your team is most comfortable in

be careful about proposing haskell/erlang unless your team knows those languages inside and out. first couple of projects you write in any lang are garbage

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 1, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

if i were doing it i'd do it in java with Grizzly+Jersey:

https://grizzly.java.net/

Grizzly takes care of all the server/network/whatever parts, and Jersey takes care of all the routing - you just make an object and define what goes where using attributes.

also its logo looks really concerned

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

what do i use instead of entity framework for asp.net mvc

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

coffeetable posted:

this sounds like premature optimization. unless you know for a fact that you need to support ridiculous request rates/data rates, just use whatever web framework your team is most comfortable in

be careful about proposing haskell/erlang unless your team knows those languages inside and out. first couple of projects you write in any lang are garbage

you're 100% right

the more i think about it the more node (written w/ typescript of course) looks like the right way to go

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

use asp.net webapi

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CommunistPancake posted:

what do i use instead of entity framework for asp.net mvc

i used dapper for my last one: https://github.com/StackExchange/dapper-dot-net

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
don't use node.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

can't be asp.net webapi it's gotta run on linux and has to have a tiny footprint

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

if mono or dnx was more mature and had a quicker spin-up time i'd for sure use either one

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I'm trying to port u-boot to a stupid mediatek soc and it's loving hard and stresses me out :(

I'm humbled, u-boot is not that big of a project (but it's the largest I've ever touched) and it appears well-organized but I'm just so confused...

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blinkz0rz posted:

you're 100% right

the more i think about it the more node (written w/ typescript of course) looks like the right way to go

said nobody that was ever right ever!!!!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
kidding on, i like node

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

asp.net 5 looks complicated and full of new things and idk if i feel like learning this for an istp or if ill just poo poo it out in 4

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

if it's stateless why don't you just write some python/ruby/bash script?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

if i were doing it i'd do it in java with Grizzly+Jersey:

https://grizzly.java.net/

Grizzly takes care of all the server/network/whatever parts, and Jersey takes care of all the routing - you just make an object and define what goes where using attributes.

also its logo looks really concerned

that framework has seen some poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

that framework has seen some poo poo

it's seen abstractions you can't even imagine

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I'd do it with whichever framework I'm familiar with, and recommend you do it with that one regardless of what you're familiar with as it's superior because

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Shaggar posted:

yeah i hate nuget

give paket a try maybe? it's basically "nuget, but a bit better"

in visual studio the migration process is 1) install paket from the VS Gallery 2) tools -> paket -> "convert from nuget" -> done

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

akadajet posted:

node is fast and good

no

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Plorkyeran posted:

1. sounds like you're doing something wrong, but it's unclear as to what with such a vague complaint.

2. having to write update scripts manually sucks, but i don't see how it makes versioning difficult unless you're only writing update scripts and not keeping a script in source control that creates the db from scratch

3. i've never found myself wanting a debugger for sql, since the sort of things that you should be doing in sql are a very good fit for debugging in a repl, and all sql servers have very good repls

4. you unit test sql exactly the same way you unit test any other code: you set up some test data, you call your function on it, you verify that you got the result you expect, and then you throw away all your state

5. you can factor your sql into functions, stored procedures and views

1. lol

2. whether you do this or not makes little difference. the update scripts are the ones that are actually executed.

3. that isn't going to help when trying to debug a big sproc line by line (or block by block)

4. sure, but that's primitive as hell. you can't mock anything, for example

5. you ignore my point entirely. there are no good tools to help you refactor any of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Blinkz0rz posted:

can't be asp.net webapi it's gotta run on linux and has to have a tiny footprint
Unironically: https://openresty.org

• Locked thread