Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
With Force Awakens, the filmmakers consciously threw away the opportunity to show how Tatooine was impacted by the assassination of Jabba The Hutt, and the subsequent collapse of the Empire.

Of course Tatooine is going to go to poo poo if you kill the gangsters that serve as an ersatz government, and replace them with nothing.

Subtle changes to a familiar setting are a simple way of showing the passage of time. Why not return to Yavin and show it half-empty, with only like eight ships? Why not show that the fallout from the Rebels' battles has left Tatooine worse than ever?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

With Force Awakens, the filmmakers consciously threw away the opportunity to show how Tatooine was impacted by the assassination of Jabba The Hutt, and the subsequent collapse of the Empire.

Of course Tatooine is going to go to poo poo if you kill the gangsters that serve as an ersatz government, and replace them with nothing.

Subtle changes to a familiar setting are a simple way of showing the passage of time. Why not return to Yavin and show it half-empty, with only like eight ships? Why not show that the fallout from the Rebels' battles have left Tatooine worse than ever?

just like in jurassic world

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't even remember what the architecture on Jakku was like. It didn't make a big impression on me. And the whole point is that Jakku is just Episode IV"s Tatooine with some different imagery overlaid on top. That's also what Tatooine is in Episodes I, II, and VI.

There is no architecture on Jakku. Tatooine has sturdy, squat adobe buildings that sink below the ground and are full of electronics. It's all inherited domes and multi-family dwellings, but more importantly they look like they've stood for centuries (some of them literally had been) and look like they'll go on standing for centuries more.

On Jakku, there's only wrecked war machines, tents, and a shantytown surrounding a bunker.

Tatooine was far from the Star Wars. The Republic didn't go there, the Empire didn't go there - it's defined by its remoteness. Things don't change much on Tatooine. It's Space Afghanistan. I can understand being disappointed that they didn't show that the ravages of Star War have brought ruin even to the ancient indomitable stability of the planet farthest from the bright center of the universe, but that's evidently not the story being told. It opens during a cold war, not a hot one.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

seems to me the streets of bestine to the cantinas of anchorhead were celebrating the demise of the empire at end of of jedi and good riddance to the Hutt underground

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I got the impression that there is no indigenous sentient life on Jakku. Everyone is there for the same reason, to try and make their fortune scavenging the empire ships. This makes it even more lovely a planet to dump a child on.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Unsurprisingly, George Lucas is now apologizing for the "white slavers" half-comment he made:

http://deadline.com/2015/12/george-lucas-white-slavers-disney-charlie-rose-interview-1201674262/

quote:

“I want to clarify my interview on the Charlie Rose Show. It was for the Kennedy Center Honors and conducted prior to the premiere of the film. I misspoke and used a very inappropriate analogy and for that I apologize.

I have been working with Disney for 40 years and chose them as the custodians of Star Wars because of my great respect for the company and Bob Iger’s leadership. Disney is doing an incredible job of taking care of and expanding the franchise. I rarely go out with statements to clarify my feelings but I feel it is important to make it clear that I am thrilled that Disney has the franchise and is moving it in such exciting directions in film, television and the parks. Most of all I’m blown away with the record breaking blockbuster success of the new movie and am very proud of JJ and Kathy.”

He then added, "Star Wars is bigger than Jesus".

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

There was one notable structure on Jakku, a sort of pagoda-arch thing, long and narrow, supported by a pillar on each end. I can't find a screencap of it, but I could have sworn there was something just like it in one of the pieces of production art for Tatooine in ANH.

Also, looking at that location comparison, specifically the still with the stormtroopers looking toward the approaching x-wings, I'm reminded of the only element of the special effects that didn't really look that great to me. Any sort of 'particle effect', like a spray of sand, water, or snow, just looked really obviously CG. I would say that part of it comes from their being CGI effects composited onto real world location shots, but I think they appeared just as bad in shots which were pretty much all-CG, too. So I guess they just don't look good. Maybe it looks better when projected on actual film stock rather than the Sony 4K digital theater I was in?

And as far as real locations go, I agree that the planetary settings beyond Jakku were pretty mundane. If JJ wanted a majority of the exterior planetary action to be shot on location, there were plenty of other real-world places he could have gone besides the English countryside to give the settings more novel and interesting features.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SMERSH Mouth posted:

There was one notable structure on Jakku, a sort of pagoda-arch thing, long and narrow, supported by a pillar on each end. I can't find a screencap of it, but I could have sworn there was something just like it in one of the pieces of production art for Tatooine in ANH.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Jakku is purposefully another facet of Tatooine, and there is nothing wrong with this. Tatooine is an integral part of the Star Wars aesthetic. It's the American Old West portion (heh) of the mix, the other two parts being Feudal Japan and Flash Gordon. It's a separate planet because people would complain if it wasn't.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
For what it's worth, I believe I read that Niima Outpost, where Rey turns in her parts was named for Niima the Hutt who started the attempt to salvage there. Niima apparently eventually died, but the settlement retained her name.

So I believe the arch in question was a Hutt design, so you'll see something similar in other places. I know it also recently appeared in Rebels on another planet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is rebels any good BTW? I've been in enough of a star wars spirit I recently started watching clone wars and have really liked it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Teek posted:

For what it's worth, I believe I read that Niima Outpost, where Rey turns in her parts was named for Niima the Hutt who started the attempt to salvage there. Niima apparently eventually died, but the settlement retained her name.

So I believe the arch in question was a Hutt design, so you'll see something similar in other places. I know it also recently appeared in Rebels on another planet.

So Tatooine used to be run by the vile gangster Jabba The Hutt, who was killed. And that's why Tatooine looks like Tatooine.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

greatn posted:

Is rebels any good BTW? I've been in enough of a star wars spirit I recently started watching clone wars and have really liked it.

It's decent. I know it seems like most people in the Rebels thread on TVIV are higher on it than I am. It focuses on a crew of people, so you don't get some of the fun varied tales like you did in Clone Wars. If you did watch Clone Wars through, it picks up on some threads which they weren't able to resolve after the funding was pulled and the series was cancelled. I suggest finishing Clone Wars first before moving on to Rebels for that reason.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

So Tatooine used to be run by the vile gangster Jabba The Hutt, who was killed. And that's why Tatooine looks like Tatooine.

Not all Hutts are necessarily vile gangsters, racist.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I was wondering about this, now that Force Awakens (and presumably VIII and IX because of them being sequels to it) has used so many structures and costumes that were originally designed by Ralph McQuarrie/etc. for A New Hope and Empire, what known but not super ubiquitous artwork will Destiny and other sci-fi games shamelessly steal now?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

There is no architecture on Jakku. Tatooine has sturdy, squat adobe buildings that sink below the ground and are full of electronics. It's all inherited domes and multi-family dwellings, but more importantly they look like they've stood for centuries (some of them literally had been) and look like they'll go on standing for centuries more.

On Jakku, there's only wrecked war machines, tents, and a shantytown surrounding a bunker.

Exactly. It's a different part of Tatooine, far away from any sort of civilization. It seems to me the scavengers on Jakku live a lot like the Jawas on Tatooine live, only without the sandcrawlers:

quote:

Tatooine was far from the Star Wars. The Republic didn't go there, the Empire didn't go there - it's defined by its remoteness. Things don't change much on Tatooine. It's Space Afghanistan. I can understand being disappointed that they didn't show that the ravages of Star War have brought ruin even to the ancient indomitable stability of the planet farthest from the bright center of the universe, but that's evidently not the story being told. It opens during a cold war, not a hot one.

The Star Wars came to Tatooine in A New Hope, though. There's stormtroopers everywhere on Tatooine in that movie. They've commandeered dewbacks.

I don't know the whole EU backstory for Jakku, but it seems to me that it's a remote world which the Empire retreated to precisely because it was so remote and so far from the center of the universe, where the Republic would be busy consolidating its newfound power. Then a big battle happened there, the Empire was defeated, and everybody left without cleaning anything up, because no one gives a poo poo about Jakku unless they're forced to.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The establishing shots in the prequels are the best part of the films. That's not a slight either. They're almost stunning and do a good job of setting the tone for the scene.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I know you've kind of forced yourself into this position to continue your contrarian streak, but "star wars shouldn't have two desert planets" or "sandy places cant be different" are really, really strained excuses to oppose TFA.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Neurolimal posted:

I know you've kind of forced yourself into this position to continue your contrarian streak, but "star wars shouldn't have two desert planets" or "sandy places cant be different" are really, really strained excuses to oppose TFA.

That's obviously not the point dude

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

All deserts are the same, says someone who has never been to two of them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

RBA Starblade posted:

All deserts are the same, says someone who has never been to two of them.

Obviously, they're all variations of Monument Valley.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I seem to remember Tatooine being a little more rocky, but in general they were both just a bunch of sand dunes. If JJ wanted to differentiate them, it might've been nice if Jakku was a little more distinct. As one example, look at Lawrence of Arabia's environments:

Imagine that first one but with a crashed Star Destroyer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I recall Jakku having a little bit of green in places. Which was cool.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Late to the party but I thought SMG was the only person who ever thought R2 had the force?

As far as R2 having a mechanical device to detect the force, all you'd have to do is install a modified version of one of these in R2...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

kiimo posted:

Late to the party but I thought SMG was the only person who ever thought R2 had the force?

As far as R2 having a mechanical device to detect the force, all you'd have to do is install a modified version of one of these in R2...

A communicator?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I thought that was a picture of Obie-Wan putting the midichlorine reader in. Whatever, I can't find a picture of his midichlorine detector thing. You know what I'm saying.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

That's obviously not the point dude

Well people have so far explained the visual, subtexual, and technical differences between the two, so if those aren't his complaint then I don't know what it is.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

kiimo posted:

I thought that was a picture of Obie-Wan putting the midichlorine reader in. Whatever, I can't find a picture of his midichlorine detector thing. You know what I'm saying.

I think the communicator does both.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

Exactly. It's a different part of Tatooine, far away from any sort of civilization. It seems to me the scavengers on Jakku live a lot like the Jawas on Tatooine live, only without the sandcrawlers:

The Star Wars came to Tatooine in A New Hope, though. There's stormtroopers everywhere on Tatooine in that movie. They've commandeered dewbacks.

I don't know the whole EU backstory for Jakku, but it seems to me that it's a remote world which the Empire retreated to precisely because it was so remote and so far from the center of the universe, where the Republic would be busy consolidating its newfound power. Then a big battle happened there, the Empire was defeated, and everybody left without cleaning anything up, because no one gives a poo poo about Jakku unless they're forced to.

Even the sandcrawler is a part of Tatooine's sturdiness. That place is a home, an artifact that has endured for generations. It's still civilization - and it's important that the scavengers on Jakku only have war machines, not homes, to pick over. If the image were a crashed sandcrawler rather than a crashed star destroyer, it would be a much different story.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

kiimo posted:

Yaws posted:

I think the communicator does both.

Qui-gon takes a blood sample, and uses an attachment on his comlink to transmit that data back to the ship where Obi-Wan uses the ship's computer to run an analysis on said blood and look for the midichlorian count.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I guess my point is, even though an explanation was already posted, that it would take about five minutes of creative writing to put a midichlorine detector in R2 without having to take a blood sample. It was made possible when the Force became science rather than religion.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

kiimo posted:

I guess my point is, even though an explanation was already posted, that it would take about five minutes of creative writing to put a midichlorine detector in R2 without having to take a blood sample. It was made possible when the Force became science rather than religion.

Exactly. They could have filmed R2 using a midichlorian detector to respond to someone who has a high power level, but instead they chose to film R2 using the Force to respond to someone who has a destiny.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kiimo posted:

It would have, but instead they depict R2 responding to the Force like any (other) living being would.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

kiimo posted:

A Schick ladies razor?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

Exactly. They could have filmed R2 using a midichlorian detector to respond to someone who has a high power level, but instead they chose to film R2 using the Force to respond to someone who has a destiny.

When was R2 ever shown to use the Force?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

aBagorn posted:

A Schick ladies razor?

That's exactly what it is

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Kinda late, but I just finally saw the movie. It's really loving good.

And I love the character of Kylo Ren, he's a great villain and his characterization is pretty innovative, Adam Driver totally owns the role. He manages to be simultaneously pathetic and scary. I liked how midway through the movie he gets sort of "defused" as a villain and reduced to an almost comical figure with all of his petulant tantrums and pretensions (loved the stormtroopers going "ugh gently caress this we're not dealing with his poo poo again"). Before That Scene the audience is really fooled into underestimating him. He can never be a stoic badass like Vader, so we think he can't be as effective or as evil, but as it turns out low self-esteem is a perfectly valid motivation to turn someone into a ruthless, malevolent monster.

Also his backstory is literally that he did a Columbine, and everything we learn about his personality and actions fits that to a T. You really get the sense that this guy can come back legit terrifying in the next film when he shapes up, simply because of how much he hates himself.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

jivjov posted:

He's doing it all the time, he just doesn't have arms so you don't see the hand gestures.

Think about how many times R2 saved everyone's asses throughout all of these movies. Hacking computers, shooting out lightsabers, repairing that dumb silver ship, doing... whatever the gently caress he did on Grievous's flagship, etc.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

kiimo posted:

Hey just cause Scientology has e-meters doesn't make them science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

When he woke up in response to Rey arriving, for one.

• Locked thread