Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Still on a Group C / GTP kick, have an inboard lap of Le Mans in a 767b, the lovely 4 rotor. It's a run of the mill grainy video from then, but there's two hilarious things that happen. First, he gets slaughtered on the Mulsanne at speeds I don't want to think about, and then there's some opposite lock that will make you think the video froze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3R2nwf1l0M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

VikingSkull posted:

Still on a Group C / GTP kick, have an inboard lap of Le Mans in a 767b, the lovely 4 rotor. It's a run of the mill grainy video from then, but there's two hilarious things that happen. First, he gets slaughtered on the Mulsanne at speeds I don't want to think about, and then there's some opposite lock that will make you think the video froze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3R2nwf1l0M

Jesus bump steer much!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's crazy enough when you think of the speeds, but then you remember that it's all pure mechanical grip and realize that the guys who drove them were basically cowboys.

Then you meet Lyn St. James and she's little and she crushes your hand in a handshake.

e- Actually, Chris Harris explains it better in a 962...

...and a XJR-9.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 19, 2015

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Preoptopus posted:

Jesus bump steer much!

I don't think that's bumpsteer.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c68L_tieVs

Cummins powered 1942 Power Wagon 6x6.

:getin:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SlimManFat posted:

Cummins powered 1942 Power Wagon 6x6.

:getin:

That's an awesome truck. The 200mph speedometer is kind of hilarious though, and drat does that thing smoke.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That's my new favorite resto-mod truck, drat. Cooler than the Icon trucks IMO, and those are pretty freaking cool so that's a high bar.

I'd really have liked to see a 6BT instead of the 4BT, but it looks like the four was a surprisingly tight fit as-is. I know length is one of the main reasons we don't see many inline sixes in non-CDL size vehicles other than BMWs and Cummins Rams, but I kind of assumed a larger truck like this would have had the room.

The smoke actually was pretty reasonable. Mechanical diesels are always going to smoke because they don't have the sort of adjustability you get with EFI. It's kind of like a carb but even stupider, so if you set it up to make power it's going to smoke when you step on it as it ends up a lot richer than ideal. The worst I saw was in the shots lined up next to a bunch of trucks and even then it was more of a gray cloud than "rolling coal".

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
The M4 GTS did the ring in 7.27 :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6VrhW6J4Bs

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
MCM's final video in the supercharged Mini build.

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

The worry on Moog's face throughout the video is contagious. Never seen him sweat that much over a project.

scuz fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 23, 2015

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J61dTk1XJqE
F355 autocross with a really great mic

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Roadkill just keeps getting better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUefSKCjP8w

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I hope it doesn't take them 4 years to bring it back, that was easily the coolest thing they've built

also :lol: at the air filter top blowing off

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That thing is badass. I wanna street drive a Jerico now.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
That Bika tribute :perfect: :cry:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Awesome episode, amazing car, and a very nice tribute at the end.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Man I hope they do more with the Nascarlo. Definitely one of my favorites.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They are pretty drat lucky that ball joint didn't go on the public roads, or it could have been the end of roadkill.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That was such an awesome but bittersweet episode!

The car is up there with General Mayhem, definitely hope they fix it up ASAP (the crash didn't look too bad) and make another episode or two.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That thing is badass. I wanna street drive a Jerico now.

This, along with gear drives and 4.56's, always sounds better in theory.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

VikingSkull posted:

This, along with gear drives and 4.56's, always sounds better in theory.

What would be the problem with driving a jerico? I'm under the assumption it's just a normal 4 speed. That can shifted without a clutch.

Correct me if I am wrong but can't you also use the clutch to shift normally with a jerico?

Valt fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 27, 2015

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

Valt posted:

What would be the problem with driving a jerico? I'm under the assumption it's just a normal 4 speed. That can shifted without a clutch.

Correct me if I am wrong but can't you also use the clutch to shift normally with a jerico?

Main problem is noise. I'm assuming its gears are straight-cut rather than helical... Which makes them noisy as hell at speed.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Two things make it bad. Number one is the noise, and that's usually the deal breaker for most people.

The second part is the one no one thinks of, just like gear drives and big gears. These are racing parts, and racing parts that work via metal to metal contact. Tolerances are tighter, wear is greater. Regular rebuilds are built in to the design, and the metals are often softer to grab better now at the expense of longevity.

e- oh yeah, and the fun thing with a Jericho is sometimes when you're bangshifting it'll just grenade the middle gears sometimes. You can prolong the life by using the clutch, but then what's the point?

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 27, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Also, I'm watching the new, new Roadkill and holy gently caress does Freiburger ride Finnegan hard in this one. Won't say anything about the episode itself, but if you like sick burns it's loaded lol

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
you lazy fucks, post videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-DGYncIEWQ

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Ruskie Kamaz durrifto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu9YDoq9NKM

I dont think it made a single corner but boy is it eventful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Rq5EI-lQ0

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 31, 2015

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

I guess it's that time of year again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5aWAW2hea4

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Fastener vibration test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKwWu2w1gGk

Now I understand why race rulebooks require wire and such on certain things.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

jamal posted:

Fastener vibration test:

Holy crap, I always thought lock washers or double nuts were pretty solid.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Germans are idiots, we just use road salt.

Holy poo poo that's an awesome video.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

want that big rear end torque wrench

Also, to this day, I still have no idea what a regular washer is supposed to do and this video doesn't help.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 31, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A regular washer spreads the load and allows the fastener to tighten better without galling the surface. Which is why I really like to see washers on cylinder head bolts, especially alloy cylinder heads.

This is also why a grade 8 washer is important if you're using grade 8 hardware and torque specs. If the washer deforms conically and only contacts the part directly under the bolt head, what good is it?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've been upgrading all the hardware on my camera systems to using NordLocks, they're that amazing. Spendy as hell, but very much worth it when life/limb/expensive gear is at risk. I have been trying to get them into regular use in the subsea industry for a while, but everyone sticks with Split-locks.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I see that and all I can think about is pulling them apart after ten years of road salt.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

That vibration test is the more impressive thing to me. That's an incredible amount of vibration being applied to that bolt to undo those fasteners that quickly.

That said, we have vibration problems with our presses (in part due to excessive reverse tonnage, but we're working on that) so I'll have to mention these to our maintenance guys, maybe they'll have a use for them. That said, I bet they're expensive, just looking at that design I'm not sure how you'd make it in bulk cheaply. It might be coined, but that would take a lot of tonnage and the die maintenance would be a nightmare.

On the subject of washers, we made just under 1.6 billion this year. God that's such a silly number.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
They're like a dollar a piece in normal sizes.

We had a few things on race cars that kept coming loose. Turbos on evos for example like to come off the manifold. OEM has a double flat washer that it turns out you should replace every time. Wish I had known about these back then.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jamal posted:

We had a few things on race cars that kept coming loose. Turbos on evos for example like to come off the manifold. OEM has a double flat washer that it turns out you should replace every time. Wish I had known about these back then.

Turbos on renault HD engines like to come off, too, but it's a 50/50 chance of the nut dissapearing or the stud shearing.

I wish i would have saved the carfax off my old mack. It was a loving shitshow. at least 3 turbo replacements on warranty. in the ~200k i drove it i replaced at least 10 turbo studs.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

jamal posted:

Meh. Nordlocks have never worked for turbocharged Miata guys, and we seem to have the worst issues with turbo fasteners. The couple of times I've spoken with turbo engineers about our issues have typically involved statements like "yeah, we've seen that on Formula 2 cars" or "I heard about an Indy car that did that once". We tried VWAG copper lockers and couldn't keep those in place either. The only thing that seems to work for sure is Stage 8's stuff, but even then, the studs on our cars will spin out through the goddamn nut. We have to use aerospace-grade high-temp threadlocker to keep the stud in place, AND use an Inconel stud, AND use Stage 8 hardware, and it still should be serviced once a year with fresh locker and inspected for thread damage in the manifold.

Evo guys buy my M10x1.50 stud kits. I should probably find a dealer in the Evo world for those parts, since I do zero advertising to Evo guys.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Looks cool, but I don't understand their point. They are saying other fastening solutions relying on friction are bad, that theirs doesn't rely on friction, but IMO it does.
They just write off proper soultions (wires, caps and pins) as too difficult and costly.
While their solution looks good compared to all other washers, it's a friction based washer system and it's not simple/cheap either.
E: just a dumb thought, but I wonder how well a spring or friction washer + a nyloc + loctite would go. :v:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 1, 2016

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That said, I bet they're expensive, just looking at that design I'm not sure how you'd make it in bulk cheaply.

I was thinking the same, I want to say they're machined but that would cost :headsplode:

bolind fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
my favorite "gently caress this loving bolt" fix I've seen was guys tack welding various nuts on dirt modifieds