Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The movie is the setup for the series, but you don't really need to watch it. It's not particularly good, and neither is most of season 1. It gets better as Lucas gets bored with it and starts to leave the big decisions to the people actually making the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

The show gave us Space Lee Van Cleef, but it also introduced Gaylord the Hutt,so double-edged sword there. At least he died . Edit:But yeah,what FishFood said.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

VolticSurge posted:

Gaylord the Hutt.

I actually googled this

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

StashAugustine posted:

I actually googled this

His name's actually Ziro, but he is Camp Gay,just a tad. I mean, he has a flamboyant Southern accent,a feathered boa,and is purple.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 31, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VolticSurge posted:

The show gave us Space Lee Van Cleef, but it also introduced Gaylord the Hutt,so double-edged sword there. At least he died . Edit:But yeah,what FishFood said.

I believe Ziro the Hutt was actually introduced in the movie, though he was in the series.

VolticSurge posted:

His name's actually Ziro, but he is Camp Gay,just a tad. I mean, he has a flamboyant Southern accent,a feathered boa,and is purple.

Truman CapHutte.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Wookiepedia posted:

Later, George Lucas stepped in and specifically asked for Ziro to sound like Truman Capote.
lol

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Ziro is basically Gilbert from King of the Hill. My lord, this muggy Hutta weather gives me the horribles...

But yeah, I'd recommend just starting the series. The only thing the movie does is introduce some hutts and Ahsoka as Anakins' padawan, but neither of those are things you need to watch a movie for. Ahsoka just appears and says, "Hi I'm your padawan" and that's it. Like what has been said, the first season is rough, but it gets much better. I binged through it a few months ago and I honestly miss watching it. I should get started on Rebels I guess.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Epi Lepi posted:

Question about Clone Wars stuff because I'm bored enough to start watching. Where does the movie slot in with the tv show and is it worth it/necessary to watch it?

http://www.nexusroute.co.uk/the-clone-wars-chronological-order

Although to be honest I watched the intended "first" episode when it aired and didn't notice anything out of place. I just assumed they'd gone back to the planet because it had fallen back into Separatist hands.

The movie is worth it insofar as it introduces the character of Ahsoka Tano. Bear with the know-it-all-ness, the smugness and the insufferable nicknames, because it makes her development into a mature character in the series more interesting.

Also, I recently heard an interview with Dave Filoni where he regretted having to release the thing as a theatrical movie, because a) it isn't structured like a movie but like a handful of episodes, and b) by the time the movie reached cinemas, the animation on the TV show had already surpassed it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dave Syndrome posted:

Also, I recently heard an interview with Dave Filoni where he regretted having to release the thing as a theatrical movie, because a) it isn't structured like a movie but like a handful of episodes, and b) by the time the movie reached cinemas, the animation on the TV show had already surpassed it.

Yeah; George Lucas basically mandating a movie is the only reason we got one at all. I wish some of the later story arcs had gotten even a limited theatrical engagement. They showed a couple at like Celebration and whatnot...but they should have put the Maul resurrection arc in theaters for a weekend or something.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dave Syndrome posted:

I mean, they literally just edited what was intended to be the first three episodes together into the movie. It's pretty obvious even where each episode was supposed to end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I caught this story on a couple other websites, and christ people are vindictive assholes towards Lucas. I honestly don't understand how people can have such a profound hatred of the man. He's a mediocre director and a hack scriptwriter, but I don't see that as a reason to spew such bile at one person.

And then people say that EU fans are the worst of the bunch, compared to this?

I mean, yes, for a long time I was that fan, the one who screamed about canon being ruined and films broken forever and I'd never forgive Lucas, but I just can't conjure up the effort to be mad at the guy. This is the equivalent of people yelling at someone else for not liking the same thing they like. Except that they try to say that "I don't care what you think, Lucas, so let me tell you how much I don't care because you don't deserve to have an opinion because you sold the movies for a billion dollars so you suck gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you!"

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 1, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
He's accusing people of being white slavers for doing a better job with something he sold with full knowledge and consent and then pretty much thinks he knows what we want after the prequals.

I'm entitled to think he is acting like a knob.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean, they literally just edited what was intended to be the first three episodes together into the movie. It's pretty obvious even where each episode was supposed to end.

Four episodes, actually. Not that it matters a whole lot.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

He's accusing people of being white slavers for doing a better job with something he sold with full knowledge and consent and then pretty much thinks he knows what we want after the prequals.

And "white slavers", really?????

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not saying he doesn't sound like an idiot, I just can't conjure up the hatred people so willingly throw his way. Just because he made money off the sale doesn't mean he cannot have an opinion on the film or say whatever moronic things he wants

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

He's pretty much acknowledged he doesn't know what fans want and Disney does. That's why he calls TFA a film "for the fans."

It's pretty clear he has his vision that he prefers though and the prequels are what we got. I can't begrudge him that much for wanting to still tell the story his way given his role as a creator even though his time has past. Kind of strange he was surprised they wanted to focus on making a movie more people would like, though.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

yronic heroism posted:

He's pretty much acknowledged he doesn't know what fans want and Disney does. That's why he calls TFA a film "for the fans."

It's pretty clear he has his vision that he prefers though and the prequels are what we got. I can't begrudge him that much for wanting to still tell the story his way given his role as a creator even though his time has past. Kind of strange he was surprised they wanted to focus on making a movie more people would like, though.

The prequel's problems weren't at the conceptual or design level. I'd argue that design wise that trilogy is one of the greatest world building exercises in scifi history, and went way deeper than the OT could. People get too caught up in equating the surface of that series to it's problems as entertainment, but that wasn't where it failed. A Lucas led sequel trilogy would be far braver, design and concept wise then TFA. However, it probably would have been much poorer entertainment given't his track record. It's obvious why they played it safe for TFA, but it also makes it a less entertaining world to discover and discuss than the crazy poo poo Lucas would have come up with. Plus he probably wouldn't have just created a Death Star 3.

At the very least Rian Jonson has a very weird and interesting perspective, and he's a totally solid director with a great track record, so I believe he'll be able to actually bring something fresh to the series.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

IanTheM posted:

The prequel's problems weren't at the conceptual or design level. I'd argue that design wise that trilogy is one of the greatest world building exercises in scifi history, and went way deeper than the OT could. People get too caught up in equating the surface of that series to it's problems as entertainment, but that wasn't where it failed. A Lucas led sequel trilogy would be far braver, design and concept wise then TFA. However, it probably would have been much poorer entertainment given't his track record. It's obvious why they played it safe for TFA, but it also makes it a less entertaining world to discover and discuss than the crazy poo poo Lucas would have come up with. Plus he probably wouldn't have just created a Death Star 3.

At the very least Rian Jonson has a very weird and interesting perspective, and he's a totally solid director with a great track record, so I believe he'll be able to actually bring something fresh to the series.

The man created 2 and a half death stars and put them in 3 out of 6 of his original movies. What the poo poo makes you think he wouldn't have made something akin to a Death Star 3?

Design-wise all the Trade Federation poo poo sucked too, so there's that. He could probably have come up with something worse.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 1, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

broken clock opsec posted:

Design-wise all the Trade Federation poo poo sucked too, so there's that. He could probably have come up with something worse.

This is an incorrect opinion.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Drone posted:

This is an incorrect opinion.

Yeah those designs are classics, to me. The droid dekas, tanks, transports, landers, even the skeleton-like droid army, are all extremely well designed.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

IanTheM posted:

Yeah those designs are classics, to me. The droid dekas, tanks, transports, landers, even the skeleton-like droid army, are all extremely well designed.

The Lucrehulk is one of my favorite Star Wars ship designs ever.

The only bad thing about the Trade Federation's design or portrayal, besides their integration into George's bad story, are the racist faux-Japanese accents the Neimoidians all have for some reason.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Drone posted:

The only bad thing about the Trade Federation's design or portrayal, besides their integration into George's bad story, are the racist faux-Japanese accents the Neimoidians all have for some reason.

I did quite enjoy that their leader's name is a sort of portmanteau of "Reagan" and "Newt".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Shame about the rascist accents though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It was some time before I realised the implications of the portrayal of the Neimoidians - I was too young when TPM came out. Same with Jar Jar, actually.

However, Watto was a lot more obvious to me. Not sure what they were thinking there.

"Mind tricks don't work on me - only money!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

From a lore standpoint I still really want to know why Toydarians are immune to mind tricks. We learn in IV that mind tricks work on the weak minded (and by implication and Jabba's example fail to work on the strong minded). But then Watto just casually drops that all Toydarians have some manner of species-wide immunity.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember the Jedi Council: Acts of War comic said the same thing about the Yinchorri, which in retrospect is a bit odd as well, because Palpatine was using them because they were so easy to manipulate.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Speaking of the prequels, are the novelisations any good? I sort of want to see the prequels again, only... without actually having to watch the movies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was some time before I realised the implications of the portrayal of the Neimoidians - I was too young when TPM came out. Same with Jar Jar, actually.

However, Watto was a lot more obvious to me. Not sure what they were thinking there.

I think the guy who voiced Watto even said he explicitly based his portrayal on Alec Guinness's role as Fagin in the 1948 Oliver Twist movie, which... why would you do that, let alone then admit it?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Siivola posted:

Speaking of the prequels, are the novelisations any good? I sort of want to see the prequels again, only... without actually having to watch the movies.

ROTS novelization is better than the movie

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Siivola posted:

I don't remember having a good impression of the EpI novelization by Terry Brooks, and I never read the one for EpII.

But Matthew Stover's take on EpIII actually redeemed the movie for me to a large extent. It's excellent.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember the Jedi Council: Acts of War comic said the same thing about the Yinchorri, which in retrospect is a bit odd as well, because Palpatine was using them because they were so easy to manipulate.

It's been a while since I read that one, but aren't the Yinchorri hyper aggressive and warlike? So "easy to manipulate" probably meant "point them at a problem, tell them that said problem insulted their mothers, stand out of the way"

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
So I read all the new short stories featuring the background characters from TFA, and I gotta say, I loved them all. They're what I wanted from the EU this whole time: to not try and tie everything into the films, and to really play around in the setting of a galaxy far far away. I'd read a whole series about the adventures of the Crimson Corsair and his crew.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drone posted:

The Lucrehulk is one of my favorite Star Wars ship designs ever.

I don't know. Many years ago someone compared them to a beach ball floating in a public toilet (the kind with the gap in the front of the seat), and now I can't see them any other way.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I've been playing the X-Wing miniatures game and got into a "rebel pilot" kick. Recommend me some good/passable/not terrible books about Wedge and the rest of the rebel pilots.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

radlum posted:

I've been playing the X-Wing miniatures game and got into a "rebel pilot" kick. Recommend me some good/passable/not terrible books about Wedge and the rest of the rebel pilots.

The 10 book X-Wing series. 1-4, 8 are written by Michael Stackpole, 5-7, 9-10 are by Aaron Allston.

I'm more fond of the Allston books, but the entire series is really good and worth a read.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Someone in one of these threads posted that the whole thing in the new movie about Chewie's crossbow and how strong it is was a reference to how he just carries it around and never uses it in the originals, and that may be the case, but if it is, it's based on a faulty premise as Chewie does in fact fire his crossbow in the Original trilogy. He uses it to blow up a speeder Bike in Return of the Jedi after Han fucks up his sneak check.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

remusclaw posted:

Someone in one of these threads posted that the whole thing in the new movie about Chewie's crossbow and how strong it is was a reference to how he just carries it around and never uses it in the originals, and that may be the case, but if it is, it's based on a faulty premise as Chewie does in fact fire his crossbow in the Original trilogy. He uses it to blow up a speeder Bike in Return of the Jedi after Han fucks up his sneak check.

Also in ANH where he's pretending to be a prisoner that gets loose of his cuffs, he fires it off at least once in that scene.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

-Fish- posted:

Also in ANH where he's pretending to be a prisoner that gets loose of his cuffs, he fires it off at least once in that scene.

I'm not sure he had his bowcaster that far back; it may have just been an E11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

-Fish- posted:

I don't think they brought it onto the Death Star since he was supposed to be a prisoner; when the Stormies tried to stop their takeoff from Mos Eisley I think Chewie let it rip though.