Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I never tire of the fact that they are banging on that cover.

Are they, though? It sorta looks like Valiant-dude is attacking Image-chick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
this is counter to my point that it is dumb how?
(Yeah kids might be like "YEY SEX" but other than that it's just plain dumb)

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Not a counter, clarification :downs:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Fallen Rib
Didn't that comic end valiant in the 90s? Like caused the publisher to crash.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Didn't that comic end valiant in the 90s? Like caused the publisher to crash.

Not really, they were around for quite a while after that before Acclaim bought them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wow. I have to admit the economic effects of latebooks on LCS's was never made so clear to me.

Dario the Wop posted:

It's because the story was two cosmic characters (Image's Void and Valiant's Solar) meeting between dimensions and mating, thus causing the merger and eventual death of their universes.

I refuse to believe it wasn't pitched as DEATHFUKK or NECROHUMP or some similar naming before an editor told them to tone it down.

Speaking of, does anyone remember a while back, and I'm talking like 2003/2004, when Bss got Leifeld fever and created a bunch of knockoff parody characters? BLUDsHIT, BLOODHATE, Etc? I think they deserve a special maxxxi sized crossover woldshaking crisis event comic jam

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 1, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is it me or does that one character look a LOT like Mr.Sinister?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is it me or does that one character look a LOT like Mr.Sinister?

Mr Sinister, Colossus, and a Nathan Summers clone all appear to be on that cover :ohdear:

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
You know how Image is known for their creativity now? They were the opposite for the first 5-10 years of their existence.

Aside from Savage Dragon. That was glorious and self-aware, and the analogues were actually analogues (meaning used as such) and not blatant rip-offs. Oh, and WildCATs got drat good once James Robinson and then Alan Moore started writing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

FilthyImp posted:

Wow. I have to admit the economic effects of latebooks on LCS's was never made so clear to me.

Yeah, it's not generally as bad these days since cancelling an order is now much easier and nobody is making orders on the level they did back then, but at the same time the margins these days are now much thinner, too. I'm sure somebody that actually knows real things about this stuff can talk about it, tho.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Mr Sinister, Colossus, and a Nathan Summers clone all appear to be on that cover :ohdear:

What, you don't recognize Ripclaw (top left), Bloodshot (right), and Battlestone (bottom right)? For shame! :ssh:

(Even I had to look up a reminder on that last one, actually.)

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Dario the Wop posted:

Oh, and WildCATs got drat good once James Robinson and then Alan Moore started writing.

All I remember about Jim Lee's One and Only WildCATS was that they were heroes, not zeroes. Tough as nails when all else fails.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MH Knights posted:

All I remember about Jim Lee's One and Only WildCATS was that they were heroes, not zeroes. Tough as nails when all else fails.

I personally like that there was a stripper superhero.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
And for some reason that clearly isn't Jim Lee being a yes-man, Voodoo got a monthly during the original New 52.

They've tried to shoehorn Lee's WildCATS-verse stuff into a lot of the New 52, specifically Team 7 as multiple characters' backstory (Black Canary and Deathstroke) and Grifter being a key character in Future's End (they also took Voodoo's superpower - being able to see Daemonites - and gave it to him).

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Medullah posted:

Yeah I have a feeling a lot was changed to get WildCATS on Saturday morning TV.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MH Knights posted:

Yeah I have a feeling a lot was changed to get WildCATS on Saturday morning TV.

20 years later and this has stuck with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvg7tbNy5cE
(go to 9:10 if my linking didn't work)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Medullah posted:

More modestly-attired than Marvel's Night Cat, imo.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Squizzle posted:

More modestly-attired than Marvel's Night Cat, imo.

Man, if ever there was a missed opportunity in Secret Wars ...

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I read about Stan Lee's Catwoman and wondered how often DC and Marvel have crossed over and how often writers who are thought of as mainly Marvel writers have written for DC and vice versa?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ultragonk posted:

I read about Stan Lee's Catwoman and wondered how often DC and Marvel have crossed over and how often writers who are thought of as mainly Marvel writers have written for DC and vice versa?

Well, Geoff Johns wrote for Marvel pretty much once, when he followed Kurt Busiek on Avengers. Bill Mantlo wrote for DC exactly once when he did the Invasion event in the 1980s. I think there's more writers who have been Marvel-exclusive than DC-exclusive (excepting any non-Big Two work they've done; Bendis and Hickman, for instance, have done a lot of creator-owned stuff, but as far as I'm aware they've only ever done work for Marvel in terms of the Big Two). Claremont did a little DC work in the 1990s - he had Sovereign Seven, and then he reunited with Byrne to do a JLA story arc where they fight vampires and rescue the Doom Patrol from Hell or something ("The Tenth Circle" - it wasn't very good).

I think of Grant Morrison as primarily a DC writer and he's obviously done New X-Men, but not a great deal of other Marvel work. Skrull Kill Krew and Fantastic Four: 1234 are all that occurs to me off the top of my head. I also tend to think of Mark Waid as essentially a DC writer, though he's done a lot for Marvel as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bendis wrote a single Batman story. And Waid probably won't work at DC again so long as Didio is still there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Where does one place Kirby? He was a Marvel guy for the longest time until DC poached him. Personally, he's the Fourth World guy to me, but that's cause I haven't read a lot of early Marvel.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Hahahaha wow I've never seen that. The inspiration for Saturday Morning Watchmen has been found!

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Morrison also wrote Marvel Boy, which introduced Noh-Varr, Dr. Midas, and Exterminatrix.

Uthor posted:

Where does one place Kirby?
As much as I love the Fourth World, Kirby is absolutely an architect of the original Marvel Universe. When I think early Marvel, I generally think of Kirby, Ditko, and Lee (I also throw in Dick Ayers, but you kids these days don't know dick).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

I love how Grifter tries being a badass Punisher clone while using a hilarious cartoon laser. A lot like the real Punisher on the Spider-Man series, come to think of it.

STUN ROCKETS

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
"Stun Bombs" used to be a thing in Claremont's X-Men whenever he needed the team conveniently kayoed. Even though they were indistinguishable from actual bombs and still blew things the hell up. Like you do when stunning people.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Uthor posted:

Where does one place Kirby? He was a Marvel guy for the longest time until DC poached him. Personally, he's the Fourth World guy to me, but that's cause I haven't read a lot of early Marvel.

He goes back to Marvel in the 70's and does Devil Dinosaur, 2001, Black Panther, and Captain America. He was pretty wild in the 70's not being tethered to Stan Lee.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

You mean the artist on Green Arrow and creator of the Challengers of the Unknown who abandoned the company to go draw monster magazines across town?

More seriously, Kirby went to everyone over the course of his career. Yeah, he's heavily associated with Marvel because that's where the peak of his career was, but he's not really just a "Marvel guy".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

You mean the artist on Green Arrow and creator of the Challengers of the Unknown who abandoned the company to go draw monster magazines across town?

More seriously, Kirby went to everyone over the course of his career. Yeah, he's heavily associated with Marvel because that's where the peak of his career was, but he's not really just a "Marvel guy".

How does one define God?

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

bobkatt013 posted:

How does one define God?
Fantastic Four #511

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Kirby and Simon's romance work (i.e., inventing the genre of romance comics) was at DC, right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Kirby and Simon's romance work (i.e., inventing the genre of romance comics) was at DC, right?

Nope Crestwood Publications. It was later purchased by DC, but no when Kirby and Simon created romance comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is there anyway to read those easily? Because I'm hella curious about them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skwirl posted:

Is there anyway to read those easily? Because I'm hella curious about them.

Young Romance: The Best of Simon & Kirby's Romance Comics https://www.amazon.com/dp/1606995022/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_OciIwb2ZKJ9RS

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Uthor posted:

Perhaps surprisingly, Kirby's total time at DC slightly edges out his total time at Marvel, with 16 years vs 15 years. Together, however, his time at Marvel and DC only accounts for about two-thirds of his career. The rest was spent at companies like Harvey, Hillman, Fawcett, Fox, Prize (aka Crestwood), and Pacific.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Benito Cereno posted:

Perhaps surprisingly, Kirby's total time at DC slightly edges out his total time at Marvel, with 16 years vs 15 years. Together, however, his time at Marvel and DC only accounts for about two-thirds of his career. The rest was spent at companies like Harvey, Hillman, Fawcett, Fox, Prize (aka Crestwood), and Pacific.

He also put together the Kirbyverse stuff for Topps (did the covers for the #1s) and the first two issues of Phantom Force for Image.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

WickedHate posted:

I love how Grifter tries being a badass Punisher clone while using a hilarious cartoon laser. A lot like the real Punisher on the Spider-Man series, come to think of it.

STUN ROCKETS

My all time favourite thing about the 90's Spider-man series is how they did the Punisher. Up to and including the computer warning for when he picks up a gun and the "Warning: Lethal Ordinance " goes off.

And I mean that un-irronically.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How good a storyline is the House of M story? I've lined up Planet Hulk to read next and it looks really good so I was thinking of reading either House of M or Civil War next.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ultragonk posted:

How good a storyline is the House of M story? I've lined up Planet Hulk to read next and it looks really good so I was thinking of reading either House of M or Civil War next.

It's good. The main book is neat, and the Spider-Man tie in was pretty cool

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Civil War is horrendous though, run fast and far.

Or if you insist on reading, make a fun party game out of it by counting all the ways the SHRA is unconstitutional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CapnAndy posted:

Civil War is horrendous though, run fast and far.

Or if you insist on reading, make a fun party game out of it by counting all the ways the SHRA is unconstitutional.

Yeah, the best way to read Civil War is to take it not at all seriously, because it's awfully stupid.