Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I got a "rib roast" for Christmas dinner tomorrow which appears to be just a slightly thicker rib eye cut. It's about 3 inches thick. Any reason I can't treat this as a regular rib eye steak and do it at 132 for an hour or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

I got a "rib roast" for Christmas dinner tomorrow which appears to be just a slightly thicker rib eye cut. It's about 3 inches thick. Any reason I can't treat this as a regular rib eye steak and do it at 132 for an hour or two?

Ribeyes are cut from rib roasts, so at 3 inches thick you either have a small rib roast or a big ribeye, your choice. I'm not sure about how food safety rules would come into play there though...3 inches is pretty thick. I'd probably do it, but YMMV. I would probably go for 2 hours though, then into the hottest my oven can get for 3-5 minutes.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Mikey Purp posted:

132 for at least 2 hours, seasoned in the bag with salt & aromatics. Straight in the oven(hot as possible) if you want it like a prime rib, or into a hot as gently caress pan and baste with cold butter for a thick as gently caress ribeye.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

It came out perfect, thanks guys!

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

got a Searzall and a TS8000

going to try it w/ some chicken thighs first (prob not optimal food item for searzall, but I've had kind of a lot of beef over the past few days.) Still going to heat up the cast iron pan, maybe just use searzall for some extra burn

......then I have a couple of ribeyes in fridge, will prob do those tomorrow.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
I also got a searzall but it's missing the screw that holds it onto the burner. Emailed support and now waiting to hear back.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looking at all these beef Wellington pictures in the post your food thread got me thinking, anyone ever do it sous vide? Cook them meat, then finish it with the duxelle/puff pastry in a hot oven?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I had the same thought when I saw the most recent beef wellington picture. Would be pretty easy as long as the beef is chilled before it gets wrapped and baked.

e:
http://www.scrumulous.co.uk/2012/03/sous-vide-beef-wellington/
https://www.reddit.com/r/sousvide/comments/1s22m4/beef_wellington_sous_vide/

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/07/crispy-sous-vide-chicken-thigh-recipe.html

Botched in.. multiple ways. I have a time + temperature I really like for chicken thighs, (163 ~2h) but for some reason I decided to use nomnompaleo's 150F for 2h

Seared, prob used too much oil, prob should have just let them finish in the pan and eaten but... I had to try the Searzall.

I ANNIHILATED those two thighs... It is lot hotter than I was expecting.

Lets see... Then I dumped wine into the pan BEFORE the shallots :downs:

Despite all that it did taste pretty good, and the Searzall impressed the hell out of me.

Horn posted:

I also got a searzall but it's missing the screw that holds it onto the burner. Emailed support and now waiting to hear back.

yeah it is sort of a unique looking wingnut... could maybe improvise something from a hardware store.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Although a searzall diffuses the heat from a blowtorch, it can still be too tight/focused/hot if you hold it too close to your food. Get used to the idea of constantly moving it in circles, moving it from zone to zone and then coming back around several times, etc.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Any recommendation on a go-to vacuum sealer (non-chamber). The rival one I had for the last 2 years just poo poo the bed and won't seal anymore. It's like the heating element doesn't turn on at the sealing strip anymore. Everything's been cleaned, but I'm not sure what else to do.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You can get another bottom of the line Rival and it should work fine

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

132.5 for 1:45
+
5 mins w/ Searzall

Next time I'm gonna do a more thorough job. I had a puddle of butter that was just boiling and boiling on one side, and that ate up a lot of those 5 mins.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
If I can get a Sansaire in Europe for 199e, as opposed to 199$ + shipping fees from the US + customs fees + bonus gently caress you fees from the post office, is there any reason to skip on it?
I'm mostly surprised that Sansaire is still on their first (I think?) version, whereas the other brands have been updating their hardware once or twice already.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Most likely the European version will have a snootier attitude while the US version would be far more (disturbingly so) obsessed with guns.

Cultural implications aside, buying it in the EU would probably give you better warranty coverage (dunno what sansaire offers, but it's probably better under european regulations) on top of apparently being cheaper. Do it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Won't the European one have different power needs? You'll probably need to buy a power converter to get it to work in the US.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
It's the European model, so 220-240v.
Sorry, what I really meant is: all I see online are people talking about the Anova. THAT's the one that would cost a fortune to import, versus the Sansaire which has some local European resellers.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Didn't Anova start selling their products in Apple Stores? Worth a try.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

It's the European model, so 220-240v.
Sorry, what I really meant is: all I see online are people talking about the Anova. THAT's the one that would cost a fortune to import, versus the Sansaire which has some local European resellers.

I had a Sansaire. I also have an Anova. The big differences are that the Anova is slimmer (Advantage Anova) and the Sansaire has a clip instead of screw down connection (advantage Sansaire). The Anova also has a redirectable water outlet, but I've never needed to mess with it. It's a nice feature I suppose, but hardly necessary.

As far as reliability, apparently there's a known issue (happened to me too) with the gears in the adjustment mechanism getting jammed and breaking. Customer service was really good about sending me a replacement though, even though I was out of warranty. On the flip side, there's lots of reports of water vapor getting into the Anovas and killing them. Again, it seems Anova customer support is responsive.

All that said, were it me, and the price difference were that extreme, I'd get the Sansaire. I gave my Sansaire to a friend who uses it weekly and loves it. It's very possible they've worked out the internal bits that were problematic.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Any thoughts on the ChefSteps Joule? I've been getting blasted with social media ads for it, which makes me really wary, but they're also making me want it.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Seems like it'd be super annoying to have to use their phone app to do simple things. I wouldn't want to get it without some way to set the temperature on the device itself.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That and the price are my gripes about it. Otherwise its size, waterproofness and heating capacity are great improvements.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

The other thing about the Joule that really makes me want it is the magnetized bottom, making clips/screws unnecessary for use in shallow pots. Ive been considering trying to mod my Anova with a rare earth magnet, but I'm afraid that it would screw up the movement of the propeller.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
See that's a downside for me because I want plastic containers and I'd end up paying for a feature I don't want

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
You could still use it, just put your Cambro on top of a pizza steel.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So I didn't get a sous vide for Xmas so I'm buying myself one. I don't want a poo poo one but I don't want a million dollar one. Is Annova the way to go?

What about the Gourmia?

TheReverend fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 2, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Alright thanks for the feedback, I ordered the Sansaire. I'm mostly going to be cooking fish this way, very much looking forward to it.

^^^^^ If I could, I would have gone with the Anova One.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

TheReverend posted:

So I didn't get a sous vide for Xmas so I'm buying myself one. I don't want a poo poo one but I don't want a million dollar one. Is Annova the way to go?

What about the Gourmia?

Either the Anova or Sansaire are good units

No idea about the Gourmia

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 2, 2016

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Steve Yun posted:

Either the Anova or Sansaire are good units

No idea about the Gourmia

Is this the Anova that people are talking about? I'm thinking about ordering one as well, and want to make sure I've got the right model.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Both the old Anova One and the new Anova Precision Cooker are good units

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I prefer the Anova One over the newer one. It's higher wattage and it has a physical switch so you can power it off and not unplug it all the time.

It also just uses a standard, detachable power cable that every computer PSU has used forever so you can get a nice short one/right angle one, etc. depending on your needs. The new one has the cord hardwired in which is a pain in the rear end. For example my old One is plugged in behind the fridge and when I want to swap the water in my Cambro I can just unplug from the back of the unit and leave it clipped onto the bucket rather than remove it.

It's also cheaper.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Did a cheap eye of round roast for 30 hours at 131 degrees, turned out fantastic. Pink from edge to edge and melt in your mouth tender. Not a hint of gristle or sinew in that cut so it got turned into French dip sandwiches with a quick jus. A+ will cook regularly

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Are there different kinds of brisket? Doing some preliminary reading before I try my hand at some, do flat and point have to be cooked separately?

e: Also god drat there's a billion different recipes for this thing, temperatures ranging from 129 to 170 what the hell

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 6, 2016

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Are there different kinds of brisket? Doing some preliminary reading before I try my hand at some, do flat and point have to be cooked separately?

e: Also god drat there's a billion different recipes for this thing, temperatures ranging from 129 to 170 what the hell

Not necessarily different kinds, but a cut of brisket has two ends - the (fatty) point and the (lean) tip. Sometimes you only get one or the other when you buy a piece of brisket but in general you should have both and you do not need to cook them separately. They will come out with different textures due to the difference in fat content, though.

I've found that I like my brisket best smoked for 3-4 hours and then cooked at 134 for 48 hours, but that yields a pink meat that not everyone is expecting out of a brisket. The cooks at higher temps yield the more traditional style gray colored meat, and are a lot closer to a braised brisket.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Cool. Ended up not buying the brisket after all because the local butcher only sells them whole, and 16 pounds of meat is a bit much for me to handle at the moment.

Is it possible to get Searzalls anymore? The amazon page has been sold out forever and their page hasn't updated in over half a year.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AnonSpore posted:

Is it possible to get Searzalls anymore? The amazon page has been sold out forever and their page hasn't updated in over half a year.

I got one from Amazon at the end of September, it arrived the next day.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hmm... maybe I should sell mine for $1000 right now and buy that swing bucket centrifuge I keep pining for.

edit: okay, I put my used one up for $1000, let's see if there's a restaurant that accidentally breaks one and is desperate to replace it

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 7, 2016

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Haha I still haven't opened mine, I'm gonna do the same. $999.

edit: wow Amazon wants $150 in fees on a $999 listing?

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 7, 2016

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Not trying to burst bubbles or anything, but I had a buddy grab one from ebay a couple days ago for like eighty bucks.

VVV: ha, good point.

esperantinc fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

esperantinc posted:

Not trying to burst bubbles or anything, but I had a buddy grab one from ebay a couple days ago for like eighty bucks.

Guess my seconds of work are for naught.