Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Ugh, that was embarrassing. I built my whole team for the Antlion fight around bringing Gilgamesh with Tantaliate to redirect and nullify all his attacks. I then proceeded to forget to equip either Draw Fire or Retaliate on Gilgamesh, leaving him with the useless R1 AoE samurai moves. I figured, "I can still pull this off. I don't have any healing spells or physical mitigation besides Steal Power, but I'll be ok- I've got a Hymn of the Faith roaming warrior" Cue several S/Ls as people got focus-fired and died. I figured I'd put Berserk on him just before he died to minimize the extra pain from that spell, and it proceeded to miss four loving times in a row until Lenna got killed. Another S/L. Decided to put Berserk on at the beginning to get it out of the way- that hurts a lot, but I pulled it off somehow. Urg, so stupid.

Anyway, I'll do Melussine and (hopefully) Ultimate Exdeath tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
So much Mythril so much Stones

I am pleased.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I feel like though I love Pally Cecil and I have his SSB, I'm gonna hold onto the rosetta stones for like Cloud or someone with sky high attack. Maybe Bartz whenever his SSB arrives if I get it. Sound about the right play?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Servaetes posted:

I feel like though I love Pally Cecil and I have his SSB, I'm gonna hold onto the rosetta stones for like Cloud or someone with sky high attack. Maybe Bartz whenever his SSB arrives if I get it. Sound about the right play?

It all depends on playstyle. It's not like you can't give Pecil's sword to Cloud or Bartz after he's mastered the SSB, or anything. Me, I've pumped every last one of the Rosetta Stones we've gotten so far into my Vegas because if anyone needs the boost in attack power, it's Sazh/Irvine.

That said: Holy loving poo poo, I am so glad I got past FF3 Leviathan elite; whoever said that the trash was the worst part was pretty obviously working on a heavy mage meta loadout because I just could not loving scratch him, even if his attacks were completely defanged by Breakdowns/Shellga. He's just got way too much Def and HP, especially for a boss in a realm with practically zero worthwhile synergy in.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
Decided I knew what ol' Jack Burton always says, "What the hell," and pulled on the last banner with the 15 free myth.
2 5*s, Kotetsu, Gaia Gear.

Maxed em, put Kotetsu on Sephiroth, Gaia on Lenna, grabbed my new SB-affecting RMs, hit Exdeath with 3 Black Materias doing at least 7500 damage a hit without crits, so, 33% of his health, basically. Champ. Bartz ate it toward the end. Leon was also very handy with Hand of the Emperor and Magic Lure, while Y'shtola brought Thyrus, Diaga/Reflect so his last phase was a big game of "stop hitting yourself."

Now to go the gently caress to sleep.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Meanwhile in everywhere that's not Japan.........

widespread posted:

Remember your Ruinga, Mitigations, and Advantauntaliating Gilgamesh when you do do the event. The crystals boss can be loving misleading in terms of easiness.

Oh yeah, Gilgamesh is Tauntaliating up a storm with the new 5* sword I pulled the other day, and Krile is carrying R4 Ruinga. That said, I completely didn't notice at first that the difficulty 75 dungeon has three stages of FIVE rounds each. This might be the toughest 75 for people that haven't been playing as long that want to get Faris's memory crystal, I think.

At least with the event starting tomorrow there's plenty of time to unlock Rikku before Sundaily... not that it's too much of a concern since I'm sitting on more eggs than I've ever had before. And we get 10 more major growth eggs in a few days!

Shock Trooper fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 1, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shock Trooper posted:

At least with the event starting tomorrow there's plenty of time to unlock Rikku before Sundaily... not that it's too much of a concern since I'm sitting on more eggs than I've ever had before. And we get 10 more major growth eggs in a few days!

We're also going to be getting a flood of people's MC2s within the next few months, including people who get their MC and MC2 in the same event they're released in. Sooner or later, you'll be expected to egg up straight to 65 to keep ahead of the curve.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On the other hand, not all of them are useful. I'll say the most useful ones coming up are Red XIII and DKCecil (even if just for their RM3) and Terra (because she's great). Maybe Wakka/Fran if you want alternatives for Support 5 and Steiner if you want a Knight.

Ramza in a few months is definitely someone you want to get up to 65 though, because he comes with another copy of Tidus' Ace Striker.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

KataraniSword posted:

We're also going to be getting a flood of people's MC2s within the next few months, including people who get their MC and MC2 in the same event they're released in. Sooner or later, you'll be expected to egg up straight to 65 to keep ahead of the curve.

On the other hand, after the Rosa + Edge event there's going to be a string of events for a whlie where only one character is added. I guess most of the events lately have been single characters too, but the fact that I started late usually meant that some of those events would have a character i HADN'T unlocked yet who was just now getting their MC. But now I'm completely caught up in terms of character unlocks and it feels good. Having to egg two characters up so frequently has been annoying.

I realize getting them to 65 WILL be more and more important with the power creep, but a lot of them I just try to focus on getting to 50 just so I make sure I'm able to use Record Materia on them when they're needed for the inevitable bonus battle requirements. Did get Wakka to 65 so I'm all ready for tomorrow... oh wait MC2's aren't available until bonus battles. Boo!

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

When I started out in April, Wakka was an indispensable member of my Dungeon Squad with his bow/ranged weapon access and eventual use of breakdowns/busters. I shelved him as soon as I got some better 5* supports who could use swords/I had SB relics for (Sazh, Irvine, Setzer, Faris) but I still dust him off for X content :unsmith:

e: We just got the free pseudo-5* XIII synergy gun as part of the new year's login. Along with the PSICOM knife from the Hope event people should have decent weapons for Lightning + Sazh in the upcoming Fang event.

The gun has 81 ATK at level 20 for anyone curious. For comparison, level 20 Vega 42s has 98.

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 1, 2016

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Well of course the damage is a bit low, it seems to shoot confetti and streamers! :v:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I thought I could avoid adding another 5 slots to my ability inventory until we got Ability Shattering, but Fat Chocobo pushes it over the line. Oh well, that's 9 free mythril instead of 10 I guess.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
So with the current banner I finally decided to jump onto the JP bandwagon. Took a few restarts, but eventually I got a pull that should let me have a fun time loving around in JP (Tyro BSSB + Platinum Sword).

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Shame the free gun is FF13 synergy, i already have 2 sets of vega42's. I dont have much else weapon wise besides some kaiser knuckles for ff13, maybe i'll keep it. I might run Lightning, Sazh and Balthier one day.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The gun does mean that the Ras Algethi is less tempting. The Fang banner will also have a new gun for Sazh. I might end up grabbing the Valkyrie instead down the road.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Fat Chocobo is now available to be crafted (although you shouldn't, obviously). 2 hit aoe Earth attack that takes Summon, Earth, and Fire. A preview of the summon buffs to come.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

KnoxZone posted:

Earth attack

Welp, guess it's another for the trash pile. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's really not the worst summon in the world and there aren't really that many uses of GEO, but... yeah, Maduin/Valefor still exist.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Shock Trooper posted:

That said, I completely didn't notice at first that the difficulty 75 dungeon has three stages of FIVE rounds each. This might be the toughest 75 for people that haven't been playing as long that want to get Faris's memory crystal, I think.

Some annoying enemies mixed in there, too. On the bright side, 15 battles rather than 9 really captures that "Exdeath's Castle" feel.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Shock Trooper posted:

Meanwhile in everywhere that's not Japan.........

To be fair, that's technically still true. Record Keeper was first released in September of 2014.

Also, they probably didn't tell the guy the message would get translated into English and distributed on the Global client as well (the exact same messages are on the JP client).

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Yeah that Carbuncle dungeon was rough for me since I just started this a couple weeks ago. But I wanted that crystal and I just BARELY beat Carbuncle. I mean just barely I didn't have much left in the tank. But I did it. Very ff5-ish(at least that was my experience with the game) way to come out of a boss fight.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Looking at future events, I'm kind of thinking of saving up for an 11-pull on Lightning banner #1, then just stockpiling until the FFXII banner #2 to try to get Balthier's sweet shootypistol. 10-hit 5.1 multiplier sounds absolutely brutal. Is there anything else I should save up for instead?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Looking at future events, I'm kind of thinking of saving up for an 11-pull on Lightning banner #1, then just stockpiling until the FFXII banner #2 to try to get Balthier's sweet shootypistol. 10-hit 5.1 multiplier sounds absolutely brutal. Is there anything else I should save up for instead?

The Panelo event will probably be only about a month before the next festival (which was absurdly good in JP) and Cloud's BSSB banner, and a month after that is the fabled FFT banner. All are options worth serious consideration.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

With the party popper I now have two usable FFXIII weapons, even if they are only technically 5*.

Happy New Year! :toot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
not sure what I'll do with the freebie gun since it's XIII synergy and I already have two Vega42s and a Blazefire Saber. Unless I run FFXIII with something like Lightning/Sazh/Balthier/Gilgamesh I'm not sure I'd ever need 3 guns, though it would be pretty nice for any (aoe) physical-heavy bosses.

Shock Trooper posted:

I haven't run Sundays for XP in probably 4-5 months. Taking a character to 50 via eggs is plenty and if I'd really want to egg them to 65-80 I'm still sitting on about 25-30m xp worth of omelets. I might start making Sundays my "get caught up because holy poo poo I'm still on the Babel Giant" days.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I got a Lilith Rod from my freebie spins, meaning I have a Full Metal Rod, the Xmas Rod, and A FFV rod. Gonna run 5 mages here soon. :shopkeeper:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KnoxZone posted:

The Panelo event will probably be only about a month before the next festival (which was absurdly good in JP) and Cloud's BSSB banner, and a month after that is the fabled FFT banner. All are options worth serious consideration.

The Penelo banners are decent but I'm actually passing them up in favour of the Basch banner (where all the non-repeated relics from the Penelo banner except Vaan's return anyway). Same goes for the Beatrix banner, I'm passing it in favour of Freya's. The plan is just to maybe do a few pulls here and there till the Cloudy Wolf banner, where I'll be spending a lot of Mythril on events going forward.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

The Penelo banners are decent but I'm actually passing them up in favour of the Basch banner (where all the non-repeated relics from the Penelo banner except Vaan's return anyway). Same goes for the Beatrix banner, I'm passing it in favour of Freya's. The plan is just to maybe do a few pulls here and there till the Cloudy Wolf banner, where I'll be spending a lot of Mythril on events going forward.

I plan on bringing 300-350 mithril into the FFT banner and any extra I will probably blow on the SSSB Fest banner with Valiant Knife.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Evil Fluffy posted:

not sure what I'll do with the freebie gun since it's XIII synergy and I already have two Vega42s and a Blazefire Saber. Unless I run FFXIII with something like Lightning/Sazh/Balthier/Gilgamesh I'm not sure I'd ever need 3 guns

I don't know, I kind of want to make a musket-line team now.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Woke up, did pull, got Bartz's Brave Blade.

Not sure if that'd help vs Exdeath, but another natural 5* is very welcome.

Speaking of, what's the best way to go about vs Exdeath normally? Somehow, I run out of mitigation time and last time I did so I got facerolled in a few shots.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Evil Fluffy posted:

I haven't run Sundays for XP in probably 4-5 months. Taking a character to 50 via eggs is plenty and if I'd really want to egg them to 65-80 I'm still sitting on about 25-30m xp worth of omelets. I might start making Sundays my "get caught up because holy poo poo I'm still on the Babel Giant" days.

This is blasphemy you're speaking here. The first of the FFRK commandments is that you rest (i.e. run the daily) on Sunday, the Sabbath. The lord of FFRK will strike you down, heathen.

For repentance, go say five "Hail Clouds" and devote yourself to running the Sundaily. Amen.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 1, 2016

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

widespread posted:

Woke up, did pull, got Bartz's Brave Blade.

Not sure if that'd help vs Exdeath, but another natural 5* is very welcome.

Speaking of, what's the best way to go about vs Exdeath normally? Somehow, I run out of mitigation time and last time I did so I got facerolled in a few shots.

I took 5 casters and used Carbuncle at 50% health and prayed for zero AOEs. Might not be repeatable though. Mitigation was Shell and SG which made the damage I did take more reasonable.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

flowinprose posted:

This is blasphemy you're speaking here. The first of the FFRK commandments is that you rest (i.e. run the daily) on Sunday, the Sabbath. The lord of FFRK will strike you down, heathen.

For repentance, go say five "Hail Clouds" and devote yourself to running the Sundaily. Amen.

Ah, but the Sabbath is the seventh day. Since FFRK came out on September 24, 2014, a Wednesday, the Sabbath would be on a Tuesday - Black Power day. :v:

Even if we go by Global release date, March 26, 2015 was a Thursday, making the Sabbath on Gil/Lightning/Wind. On the other hand, nobody ever really has a reason to farm on Wednesday, so let's not do that.

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

So I have an option for a "dr. Mogs beginner's choice draw" with choose 1 unique soul break equipment. Should I do that now or wait for a better time? And what should I choose?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Zone of Danger posted:

I took 5 casters and used Carbuncle at 50% health and prayed for zero AOEs. Might not be repeatable though. Mitigation was Shell and SG which made the damage I did take more reasonable.

Might as well try it. I mean, even with Morphin Tauntaliate, I managed to stave him off to 50% health or so. Then mitigation wore off and Exdeath oneshots everywhere.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Dely Apple posted:

I got a Lilith Rod from my freebie spins

Meanwhile on MY client I get jack and poo poo in the way of 1 and 2* trash! :negative:

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Attempted Advantaliate on Ult Exdeath and...yeah, it's just not gonna happen. I can survive for a couple of rounds, but once he hits 50%, it's game over. I could try with a Wall RW, but I'd just run out of gas well before I could finish him.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

k-spar posted:

So I have an option for a "dr. Mogs beginner's choice draw" with choose 1 unique soul break equipment. Should I do that now or wait for a better time? And what should I choose?

What you should choose depends on what you need, really, and what other 5* gear you have. Have lots of melee weapons but no good mage weapons? Grab the Valkyrie, Healing Staff or Storm Staff. Have mage gear but no melee? Tyrfing, Kiku-Ichimonji, and the Dusk Lance are all solid choices (even if two of the three have SBs for bad characters). Want something that your support units can use? Ras Algethi is one of a very small handful of 5* guns out there, which will let you use Sazh, Irvine, and Barret effectively (as well as giving Balthier and Lightning a ranged weapon option). Need Armor? The Wild Boar and Ninja Chainmail may not be the best synergies, but they've got good, rounded stats. Got most of your playing field covered? Then aim for a realm synergy you don't have a lot of coverage in. Feel confident in what you have and are just looking for more powerful SBs? Stormlance Grimoire's got you covered.

You have plenty of time to think about it, so you don't have to feel rushed, but at the same time, having 5* equipment is more helpful than not having 5* equipment.

EDIT: That said, there are a few blatant traps. Don't grab the Sun Blade unless you really, really like Warrior of Light - it's a bog standard sword, in a synergy that sees basically no use, and it's a lackluster SB for a lackluster character. Only grab the Giant Gauntlets if you want to use monks like Tifa and Zell and don't have a Danjuro - FF2 is equally sparse in synergy utility and the SB is the one actively detrimental one in the entire game. The Buster Sword has been outclassed by so many other things that it's become its own punchline; it and the Dark Sword should only be grabbed if you're aching for FF4/FF7 synergy.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 1, 2016

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I immediately grabbed Buster Sword in that Beginner's choice--nostalgia got the better of me.

Now a question. I'm getting closer and closer to clearing all the classic dungeons and I'm starting to wonder. Does Mythril eventually become much, much harder to acquire? I imagine it has to. Kind of makes me wonder how I should spend this on these banners or if I should start stockpiling it and trying for the real real good stuff when it becomes available. I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Getting the freebie New Year's gun was a fun taste of irony.

Oh hey a gun, I can use that on a number of characters. Oh hey, Balthier would be good in my party. I totally.... picked up a Storm Staff from the beginner's pull.

Welp.

• Locked thread