Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Motorbike = Easy Rider (standalone release outside the BBS set)
"New" Planet = The New World/The Emigrants (already announced for Feb 9th)
Angel on rocket = Dr. Strangelove (Sony editions are OOP, obvious pick between being a former laserdisc release and a Sony title. Plus, neither Sony disc had commentaries or the fantastic trailer)
Boxer with sax = Golden Boy (owned by Sony, directed by William Wyler)

Any iteration of Oliver Twist would probably be the David Lean film since it's one of the oldest DVD-only titles still in their library. I don't see them bothering with Polanski's film since it's already on disc and Twilight Time has the musical. It would be neat if they did a double feature of Lean's film and the silent starring Lon Chaney and Jackie Coogan.

Three Kings is unlikely since the Warner editions are still in print and already have lots of extras (including two commentaries). It's probably Kings Row, which is also a Warner title.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
McCabe & Mrs. Miller would make me giddy. A Lone Wolf and Cub boxset would be loving amazing, I've been meaning to watch those for a while.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Egbert Souse posted:

Angel on rocket = Dr. Strangelove (Sony editions are OOP, obvious pick between being a former laserdisc release and a Sony title. Plus, neither Sony disc had commentaries or the fantastic trailer)

I'd guess a blu of Exterminating Angel instead.

Would guess this:

Is Fantastic Planet, which would be a cool set.

Edit: And the Phoenix is Phoenix. Others are (maybe) Taste of Honey, Chimes at Midnight, Squid and the Whale and the Complete Lonely Island Video Collection

morestuff fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 31, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Radio Spiricom posted:

brave new world (one of the tv movies only because i don't know what else this could be)

Maybe Malick's The New World?

Edit:

Egbert Souse posted:

"New" Planet = The New World/The Emigrants (already announced for Feb 9th)

That's what I get for leaving the reply window open for an hour.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 31, 2015

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

morestuff posted:

Is Fantastic Planet, which would be a cool set.

Fantastic Planet is cool cause it gets you high without the aid of any substances.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Maybe Malick's The New World?

Edit:

That's what I get for leaving the reply window open for an hour.

Actually, my mistake. Criterion is releasing The New Land in February, but The New World was also confirmed as in the works a while ago. Got the two confused.

Also completely overlooked the visual pun of The Exterminating Angel.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Criminal Minded posted:

A Lone Wolf and Cub boxset would be loving amazing, I've been meaning to watch those for a while.

I already own a Lone Wolf boxset (from Thailand) but would be seriously tempted to pick up Criterion's. I wonder if they'd get the rights to Shogun Assassin as well to include it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Fantastic Planet is cool cause it gets you high without the aid of any substances.

Yeah if that really is Fantastic Planet I'll be super happy. I bet it looks and sounds amazing on blu-ray.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Egbert Souse posted:

Any iteration of Oliver Twist would probably be the David Lean film since it's one of the oldest DVD-only titles still in their library. I don't see them bothering with Polanski's film since it's already on disc and Twilight Time has the musical. It would be neat if they did a double feature of Lean's film and the silent starring Lon Chaney and Jackie Coogan.

Criterion Forum reads the kid as The Kid (already announced) and also Bicycle Thieves (already announced). There's also suspicion there that it's not Three Kings, but Wim Wenders's Kings of the Road

I'm not strongly inclined to take Fantastic Planet as the meaning, if only because the star/explosion along the rim seems significant. Unless there's an explosion on a ring planet there.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I would lose my mind for fantastic planet. Criterion needs more animation as far as I'm concerned.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The_Rob posted:

I would lose my mind for fantastic planet. Criterion needs more animation as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't be surprised if Criterion got The Iron Giant given the lack of physical release for the new "Signature Edition" from WB.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
- The Squid and The Whale, which makes sense, because Wes Anderson produced it, and Criterion loves Wes
- Could that be a release of the original Jimmy Stewart Flight of the Phoenix?
- Could the motorcycle be a BD release of Easy Rider?

Edit: Looks like you guys agree about Easy Rider, that seemed like a no-brainer.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Phoenix is almost definitely this year's Phoenix, it's up on Netflix if you haven't seen it. One of my favorites from 2015.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Red posted:

- The Squid and The Whale, which makes sense, because Wes Anderson produced it, and Criterion loves Wes

it's weird that this is your reasoning chain behind why they're doing it -- they've released two other noah baumbach movies.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Radio Spiricom posted:

it's weird that this is your reasoning chain behind why they're doing it -- they've released two other noah baumbach movies.

Really? I figured Frances Ha was just a popular indie film that got great praise, etc. - what's the other one?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Red posted:

Really? I figured Frances Ha was just a popular indie film that got great praise, etc. - what's the other one?

Kicking and Screaming

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

his 1995 debut kicking & screaming

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The_Rob posted:

I was looking the other day at determining whether it was even possible to find English-subtitled versions of some classic Soyuzmultfilm cartoons out of curiosity (Winnie the Pooh and Hedgehog in the Fog), and outside of some badly handled (read: dubbed) VHS releases in the 1990s and some vague hints of DVDs in Europe, there was basically nothing. There are signs that they've been remastering some of these shorts in Blu-ray over in Russia (but sadly not Hedgehog in the Fog, as far as I can tell), but due to long-term rights issues, it seems like there's been little, if any, work to bring these back over to the US since the 1990s. It'd be wonderful to see someone like Criterion put out a collection, but I'm not holding my breath.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I was looking the other day at determining whether it was even possible to find English-subtitled versions of some classic Soyuzmultfilm cartoons out of curiosity (Winnie the Pooh and Hedgehog in the Fog), and outside of some badly handled (read: dubbed) VHS releases in the 1990s and some vague hints of DVDs in Europe, there was basically nothing. There are signs that they've been remastering some of these shorts in Blu-ray over in Russia (but sadly not Hedgehog in the Fog, as far as I can tell), but due to long-term rights issues, it seems like there's been little, if any, work to bring these back over to the US since the 1990s. It'd be wonderful to see someone like Criterion put out a collection, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Russian archives are apparently tough to work with.

War and Peace has been needing a restoration for years, but no one can agree on terms, so the 65mm negatives remain in storage. I've even heard that the camera negative to Battleship Potemkin survives, but there's too much red tape. That's why the recent restoration was through the German Transit Film, using the German print as its base.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Egbert Souse posted:

The Russian archives are apparently tough to work with.

War and Peace has been needing a restoration for years, but no one can agree on terms, so the 65mm negatives remain in storage. I've even heard that the camera negative to Battleship Potemkin survives, but there's too much red tape. That's why the recent restoration was through the German Transit Film, using the German print as its base.

Well, Soyuzmultfilm's archive is about as bad off: they sold their international rights for 10 years (later extended another 35) to an American company run by an expat for a share of profits (the one that produced the dub VHSs I mentioned), but the company just rolled their revenues back into expenses, so Soyuzmultfilm got nothing. The rights were purchased back by another Russian oligarch a few years ago (reportedly primarily more for the film) to pass along to yet another state-owned company, but the rights within the CIS are owned by a third entity (the one which has restored and put out the Blu-rays I mentioned) which contends that the oligarch bought no such rights since the assignment of rights to the American company had already been invalidated by the Russian courts (but not by the US courts).

So the probability of actually seeing these come out is slim to nil for pretty much the same reasons. Still doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see Criterion somehow manage to get the rights.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

There's also suspicion there that it's not Three Kings, but Wim Wenders's Kings of the Road
A North American release of Im Lauf der Zeit (1976) would loving own, but I'd be really disappointed in Criterion if their hint for it didn't include a reference to pooping.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

morestuff posted:

The Phoenix is almost definitely this year's Phoenix, it's up on Netflix if you haven't seen it. One of my favorites from 2015.

Oh, of course - I forgot about the hubbub of that one. Flight of the Phoenix isn't a bad film at all, but doesn't seem Criterion-ish.

Radio Spiricom posted:

his 1995 debut kicking & screaming

Ahhhh, yes. I keep forgetting about Baumbach. I've only seen SquidWhale.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
If we can get some way for criterion to actually get us a real version of Coonskin I would be thrilled.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I would pay out the rear end for a Ralph Bakshi box set.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Unmature posted:

I would pay out the rear end for a Ralph Bakshi box set.

American pop on Blu Ray is extremely my poo poo.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
My uncle works at Criterion and says we can have either Essential Soyuzmultfilm or The Complete Godfrey Ho.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

The Time Dissolver posted:

My uncle works at Criterion and says we can have either Essential Soyuzmultfilm or The Complete Godfrey Ho.

Please tell him that they need to release a bluray of Tampopo filled with extras.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Please tell him that they need to release a bluray of Tampopo filled with extras.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Watched Day for Night last night. Great film, but this might be one of Criterion's best releases. The film itself looks and sounds perfect. The supplements are great - I've kind of lost interest in extras that aren't just deleted scenes or vintage documentaries, but this has a visual essay on the editing, as well as a dozen interviews with the cast and crew.

Also, they included the US trailer, which has English dubbing. I see why they opted to only include the French track since the English dubbing is horrific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dwibeHsWq0

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion confirms Kurosawa's Dreams is in the works:
https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/3862-the-color-of-dreams

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Excellent news!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Love that Scorsese van Gogh

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion confirms Kurosawa's Dreams is in the works:
https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/3862-the-color-of-dreams

Dreams was literally the only Kurosawa they didn't own the rights to, right?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

They lost the rights to Ran, I think.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Barnes and Noble sucks at shipping so I don't have my Complete Lady Snowblood yet. Anyone else get it?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Unmature posted:

Barnes and Noble sucks at shipping so I don't have my Complete Lady Snowblood yet. Anyone else get it?

I got it yesterday. I've only watched the first one so far but it was really something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

They lost the rights to Ran, I think.

Yeah, Studio Canal stole it from them like the underhanded thieves they are. Same reason Criterion lost the rights to The Third Man.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Don't believe they have "The Quiet Duel", "Dersu Uzala", "Ran", and "Rhapsody in August".

Also didn't they only release Madadayo with the boxset? Always thought that was kinda strange.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I'm sad Donald Richie isn't around anymore to record more Kurosawa commentaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

zandert33 posted:

Don't believe they have "The Quiet Duel", "Dersu Uzala", "Ran", and "Rhapsody in August".

Also didn't they only release Madadayo with the boxset? Always thought that was kinda strange.

They released Dersu Uzala on laserdisc so hopefully they can get it back out there.