Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Ambi posted:

Inverting the hit location difficulty for called shots works, but then you run into problems with Squishing sets (if I'm remembering the terminology right) and some Martial Disciplines I think? It's a weird thing that Dodging a sweep to the legs is much much easier than avoiding a headshot.
Inverting hit locations was my first thought to address things, but it's not thematically appropriate; in ORE a 10 is always the best possible outcome, and in an attack it's the deadliest possible hit. Making that true for everything except fighting to me seems like a step in the wrong direction.

Here's what I've come up with:

Called Defense: If the problem is Called Shots, then the solution might be to allow for a "Called Defense" of sorts that works the exact same way-- you lose 1d, and set another the area you want to defend. The catch here would be that your Gobble Dice can ONLY be used against an attack targeting that location. If you do a "Called Defense" and set your dice to 10 and end up with a 2x10, but your opponent gets a 2x8, then you still take damage because while you protected your head you left your torso open for attack.

The upside is that works very well in the Declare-Roll-Resolve system (if you Sense an attack coming you can better prepare for it), and it has a good trade-off (protecting your vitals in exchange for leaving your other areas open). The downside is that Gobble Dice don't ever work that way anywhere else in the game.

Interference: Essentially, Defense rolls sort of ignore the Speed aspect of the Resolve phase. Tud attacks Blanca with a 3x2, and Blanca defends with a 2x5, Blanca can still use his 2x5 as Gobble Dice and break Tud's attack because they have superior Height. This doesn't necessarily solve the issue of headshots being easier to hit than to dodge, but it makes defense easier; perhaps too easier, though.

Defense always gets Max Gobble Dice: A more extreme idea, what if a defense set always gets treated as if it has a Height of 10? This would totally change the dynamic of combat in favor of the defender, but it would make protecting your neck easier

Loose Defense: Defense rolls don't need a Set to create Gobble Dice. If you roll 10d and get no matches, you can use your highest Loose Die (10 in this case) as a lone Gobble Dice. This would also re-balance combat in favor of defense, as it would mean that any attackers are basically up against a variable difficulty every time they act, or else need at least a Width of 3 to accomplish anything. Morevoer, again, nothing else in the game actually works this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
In Reign at least, things like Iron Tortoise and the Cross Block maneuver from Serpent Fang can make defense rolls extremely hard to get through. With identical pools, someone defending has the same chance to get the same sets as somebody attacking. The big problem with defending is that if you get, say, a 2x10 and somebody gets a 2x10 and a 3x1, they hit you first and ruin your set so the second hit goes through as well. There's nothing you can do about sets that are faster than you unless you allow squishing (barring Martial Techniques - it's one of the reasons they're so good.) Losing dice from sets is crippling, and speed is everything in combat. The best fighters are those who have massive pools in both attack and defense, so they can multiaction and then assemble an optimal group of sets that minimises the damage they take and maximises the damage they do. If somebody with 9+MD in Blade is fighting somebody with a 9d pool of attack and defends, I'll bet on the multiaction guy every time.

The lion's share of your ability to not die in both Reign and WT comes from Armour, though. Heavy Armour in WT is incredibly powerful and Armour in Reign isn't far behind. Plus any old wild talents character can buy 10HD of Hyperdodge for cheap.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Yeah Heavy Armor in WT is hilariously powerful (breaking any Attack set with less than 3 Width? Don't mind if I do!), coupled with the fact that there are a.) no downsides to having Heavy Armor and b.)nothing really to restrict a character from having it. At least REIGN sort of gates armor behind the Wealth/Possession system, which I really like and am in the process of translating into a sci-fi setting.

The houserule that I've been using is that if you Block an attack, and you have left-over Gobble Dice after breaking any attacking Sets that hit you, you can carry that extra Gobble Dice into your next turn as a 1d bonus to an Attack. So it creates kind of a momentum system where if you defend yourself well enough you can get an edge on offense as well-- like knocking aside your opponent's blow to create an opening for your own attack. It doesn't make defense easier, per se, but it does make it a more desirable option.

Given that the homebrew I'm working on is a mash-up of Wild Talents and REIGN optimized for space adventures, it's also going to have WT's special moves and Willpower system, so you can opt to take a 1d penalty to add +1 Width for Speed on a Defensive action, which could be interpreted as effectively giving you another Gobble Dice in most situations. That would also help address the inequity.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Glad that my yammering was helpful! I really like the ideas on how they made the one roll char generation. They're sort of point buy packages that you're randomly selecting. Eclipse phase has something similar in the transhuman book. If you have access to that, it might be interesting to look at their tables and stuff for more table idea action.

I don't think you can ruin defensive sets? At least in reign it specifically says the sets become gobble dice. None of the examples show a multi-attack where one goes before the defense though. The way I read it was your successful dodge or whatever of 2x5 turns into 2 gobble dices going off at speed 2 and height 5. I'm a fan of house rules being less complicated or just changing restrictions on existing things, otherwise it starts to get a bit too .. gooey.

Personally I like the idea of combat gobble dice acting like 10s while maintaining the speed aspect of width. Lets defensive actions protect well, while still making you want to favor a big set to get 'em off.

Another option is to look at various defensive skills and stuff and maybe pull those. For example, in reign that monkey dodge for 1pt is pretty huge for any character with a coor+dodge pool as big as whatever their other pool is. Basically lets you put any extra sets into dodging without spending the -1d per multiple action. The end of the tree gets pretty crazy but that is a lot more investment. The parry tree has some neat stuff you could consider pulling as well. Keeping it as a specialty option allows people to choose to grab some great defensive options as part of making their character too.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

ZypherIM posted:

Glad that my yammering was helpful! I really like the ideas on how they made the one roll char generation. They're sort of point buy packages that you're randomly selecting. Eclipse phase has something similar in the transhuman book. If you have access to that, it might be interesting to look at their tables and stuff for more table idea action.

I don't think you can ruin defensive sets? At least in reign it specifically says the sets become gobble dice. None of the examples show a multi-attack where one goes before the defense though. The way I read it was your successful dodge or whatever of 2x5 turns into 2 gobble dices going off at speed 2 and height 5. I'm a fan of house rules being less complicated or just changing restrictions on existing things, otherwise it starts to get a bit too .. gooey.
Here's what the Enchirdion says about Defense in the Combat chapter about Dodge:

quote:

Match sets from Dodge rolls become Gobble Dice (described on page 14). Each one can cancel out a die from a set. Dodging, you can apply Gobble Dice as long as (1) the Width of the Dodge roll lets you react in time and (2) the Gobble Die has equal or greater Height than the attack die.

Example: The bully pulls out a dagger. Hokoto decides to dodge for a round. He gets a 2x8 result, and his attacker gets a 3x1. While Hokoto’s Gobble Dice are Higher, the 3x1 attack gets resolved first, and Hokoto’s leg is sliced before he has a chance to react. Hokoto dodges again and gets a 3x1 while the knife-fighter gets the 2x8. Hokoto still gets hit—he acts first, but his Gobble Dice are weak 1s and useless against stout 8s.

In the third round Hokoto gets lucky. The bully strikes twice and gets a 2x2 and a 2x5. Hokoto’s dodge roll yields a 2x6. With his two Gobble 6s, he cancels one die from the attacker’s 2x2 attack (reducing it to 1x2, which isn’t a match) and another from the attacker’s 2x5 attack, ruining two strikes with one set.

(Parry works the same way, with the stipulations that it requires something to Parry with, and that it can be used to protect other people)

The example actually does a good job at highlighting how balanced against Defense combat is, perhaps intentionally. Hokuto's defense fails twice-- the first time because he doesn't have enough Width, and the second time because his Height is too low. Attacking can get by with just having good Width OR good Height most of the time, but not defense. You need both, which is something that I find very frustrating with the ORE.

What if instead, Dodge and Parry worked slightly differently? With Dodge, which prioritizes speed, you need to beat your opponent's Width, without needing to worry about Height; while with Parry, you generate Gobble Dice that work irrespective of speed.

Here's how it could play out:

quote:

Lin attacks Wen with a straight-sword. On the first round, Lin attacks with a 2x9, and Wen Dodges with a 3x1. Because Wen's Dodge is faster, he's able to sidestep Lin's attack. On the second round, Lin attacks again and takes a -1d penalty to add +1 Width for Speed, and Wen Dodges again. Lin rolls a 2x7, which becomes a 3x7 for Speed, and Wen rolls a 3x9. Since Wen did not beat Lin's speed, he gets hit, even though he had more Height, since Dodge cares more about speed than height.

In round 3, Lin attacks again and Wen changes up his strategy and tries to Parry with his quarterstaff. Lin rolls a 3x5 and Wen rolls a 2x8. Lin's attack is fast, but Wen's defense is too strong for Lin to pierce; Wen's 8's Gobble two of Lin's dice and break his set. Round 4 repeats, but Lin rolls an amazing 5x6. Wen's defense is another 2x8, but he's only able to whittle Lin's attack down to 3x6, which breaks through his defense and damages him

This would give a bit more mechanical variety to Defense; as stated there's no real clear reason to use one Defense over the other, aside from the fact that you can't Parry weapon attacks while unarmed or unarmored. Do you think it's too complex?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Defence is a "nothing happens" action. If defence is useful enough to be used as a general action then you'll get a lot of nothing happens rounds, which are boring. If you want to make an effective defence action that also improves the game, you first need to come up with a way to make a successful defence action an interesting outcome.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 24, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
On the headshot problem: I think the issue is that it's surprisingly easy to get at least a pair of 10s on the offense, which leads to characters with even a modicum of skill doing nothing but go for headshots. If you don't want everyone and their dog wearing helmets, you need to either increase the risk or decrease the reward. Either make it easier to defend the head (maybe give the defender a free 10 that can only be used for that purpose?), or make head hits less lethal.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea that is the example I was working off of. It doesn't clarify the situation where a defender rolls say 2x5, and the attacker gets say 2x1 and 3x2. Does the 3x2 actually mess up the defensive roll? It definitely goes before it so it doesn't get reduced, but I read the text that since the dice become gobble dice you'd still be able to eat a die off of the 2x1 so you'd only take the one hit.

If you want to make headshots less lethal you could shift a couple boxes from the torso to the head, or maybe have the first time your head fills with killing damage the last box changes to shock, or maybe a race option that lets you shift around damage once a fight or something.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Wild Talents has an optional rule where you can shift damage down to a lower location by spending width in willpower, which is probably the easiest way to increase survivability in that game. It has a nice dynamic actually- against strong enemies it turns fights into battles of will instead of pure muscle and firepower.

EDIT: Also I was playing earlier this evening and experimenting with different ways of doing defense, and here's what I found:

-Trying to mess around with how Defense explicitly works is inviting trouble, and it hurts the flow of the game. ORE's strength is its speed and simplicity, with Defense being kind of a specialty; most characters won't be able to effectively use Dodge and Block unless they are specifically trained in it. This of course makes sense: it's easier to punch someone than it is to block that punch.

-Simultaneous attack and defense using multiple actions invites confusion and slows down combat, even between two combatants. It's good in theory but in practice it winds up being just unfun.

What we settled on is the following: we devised two new special maneuvers (we're playing Wild Talents but they could very easily be used in REIGN), which can be used at a cost of -1d

Fast Guard: Gain +1 Width for Defense Purposes
Strong Guard: Gain +2 Height of Defense Purposes (cannot exceed Height 10)

These can obviously be used together at a total penalty of -2d, which is a pretty significant drop for a character lacking a large Dodge or Block pool, but as a result it can allow a character to far improve his chances at protecting himself.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 25, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm a big fan of compromise gameplay. What about something like:
Parry: If you meet the width requirements but not the height, or vice versa, you can use your gobble dice but are disarmed.
Dodge: If you meet the width requirements but not the height, or vice versa, you can adjust your opponents' attacks' height by an amount totaling no more than your width.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I've got a question about XP in REIGN.

According to the rules for Character Development, it says that it costs 1 XP to promote a Skill Die to an Expert Die, and it costs 5 XP to promote an Expert Die to a Master Die.

However, in the description for the "Knack for Learning" Advantage (in Enchiridion, at least), it says the following:

quote:

Pick one Skill. When you improve that Skill, whether by buying more ranks in it or by promoting dice into Expert or Master, the XP cost for the Improvement drops by 1. (If you have Knack for Dodge, getting your second level of Dodge Skill costs 1 point instead of 2, promoting a level to Expert costs 9 XP instead of 10, and promoting an ED to Master costs 14 instead of 15.)

These two pieces of math seem contradictory. Am I missing something, or is it just an editorial mistake?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Version I have says

quote:

Knack for Learning (5): Pick one Skill. Whenever you improve that Skill, whether by buying more ranks in it or by promoting dice into Expert or Master dice, the XP costs for the improvement drop by 1. (That is, if you have a Knack for Dodge, getting your second level of Dodge Skill costs 1 point instead of 2, promoting a die to Expert is free and promoting that ED to Master costs 4XP instead of 5.)

So looks like a misprint or errata'd.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

ZypherIM posted:

Version I have says

So looks like a misprint or errata'd.
Okay, I thought I was totally misinterpreting something with the rules. I've actually noticed several misprints and other things in the Enchiridion, so it wouldn't surprise me if that particular thing got screwed up.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Oh my god please tell me there is some sort of move speed mechanic in Unknown Armies or my players might murder me

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Poland Spring posted:

Oh my god please tell me there is some sort of move speed mechanic in Unknown Armies or my players might murder me

Not to my knowledge, or at least I've never, ever used it. Why? What's so important about a move speed mechanic?

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Doodmons posted:

Not to my knowledge, or at least I've never, ever used it. Why? What's so important about a move speed mechanic?

Because there's tons and tons of situations where how far someone can run/walk in a given period of time is important. I don't see how you can miss that

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Surely a Speed roll will do everything you need there? The chart on page 36 tells you what each speed rating is capable of, and if there's a question of whether someone can make it somewhere in time just have them roll under their speed with, like, a +20 shift if an average person could do it, +0 if it'd be challenging, and -20 if even high-level athletes would struggle. It's not going to give you a precise metres per round value, because rounds aren't a precise measure of time and the game doesn't care about precise measurements - see also how there's no ranges listed for guns. If you really need a value the book suggests rounds are about 3 seconds, so I guess you could say people can move [Speed/10] meters a round, double that if moving is all they do.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Flavivirus posted:

Surely a Speed roll will do everything you need there? The chart on page 36 tells you what each speed rating is capable of, and if there's a question of whether someone can make it somewhere in time just have them roll under their speed with, like, a +20 shift if an average person could do it, +0 if it'd be challenging, and -20 if even high-level athletes would struggle. It's not going to give you a precise metres per round value, because rounds aren't a precise measure of time and the game doesn't care about precise measurements - see also how there's no ranges listed for guns. If you really need a value the book suggests rounds are about 3 seconds, so I guess you could say people can move [Speed/10] meters a round, double that if moving is all they do.

Thanks, that helps a lot!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Poland Spring posted:

Thanks, that helps a lot!

No worries, hope the game goes well!

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Poland Spring posted:

Because there's tons and tons of situations where how far someone can run/walk in a given period of time is important. I don't see how you can miss that

Not once in my gaming career has the exact number of metres someone can walk in a round come up, outside of WoD's Foot Chase rules. Hell, it doesn't even come up in Reign's foot chase rules, or Spellbound Kingdoms'. It's certainly never come up in general gameplay.

Edit: Not that I'm saying you're wrong for wanting this or anything, it's just completely outside my realm of experience. Different strokes, I guess.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's few things I despise in a ruleset more than a game that wants to calculate exactly how many meters each character can run in a round and exactly how many pounds they can deadlift. Worse if the game expects this to go on character sheets.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

There's few things I despise in a ruleset more than a game that wants to calculate exactly how many meters each character can run in a round and exactly how many pounds they can deadlift. Worse if the game expects this to go on character sheets.

Some people want to know the average amount of time it takes them to reach their friend dangling on the edge of a cliff some distance away so they can gauge whether or not they should be trying to do that, or something else to help the situation. If I have nothing to tell my players when that comes up it comes across really shittily!

show us on the doll where D&D touched you

Doodmons posted:

Not once in my gaming career has the exact number of metres someone can walk in a round come up, outside of WoD's Foot Chase rules. Hell, it doesn't even come up in Reign's foot chase rules, or Spellbound Kingdoms'. It's certainly never come up in general gameplay.

Edit: Not that I'm saying you're wrong for wanting this or anything, it's just completely outside my realm of experience. Different strokes, I guess.

It's definitely come up for me plenty, we must play different systems! My issue is that movement and distance isn't even addressed, where at least in things like Apocalypse World they give you some general guidelines, even if there's no hard numbers.

Poland Spring fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 30, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

There are a lot of systems without a hard and fast rule about movement. You can easily rule of thumb it to roughly what you're used to, so if it is d&d say 30 ft. Most of these without a hard number you also don't need to be running strict grid combat, so as a DM you just make the judgement call of "Too far, close enough, or roll to make it this turn otherwise next".

I guess this is just a specific question out of a general ruleset so it feels weird to me. I haven't played UA, but just looking at the character sheet there is a speed stat, so absent any additional rules on movement speed I'd just give a challenge based on that. I'm sure there are other circumstances where you want to know if someone can do something and you handle it the same way.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

Calculating exactly is bad yes, but having rough, obvious guidelines helps reduce the number of mother-may-I moments.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
If it comes up it's usually "sure, make a Speed roll to see if you make it in time" or if it's really dicy, make a roll with a skill like Running Really Fast or General Athletics or something.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
yeah the answer is: Is it challenging to get there in time and are there any obstacles in the way? if so use your skills.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Long post incoming.

I want to run something by the thread, having to do with my current ORE homebrew project.

I'm working on a way to take the Power building components of Wild Talents and transport them into the framework of REIGN. The goal is to create a unified system for creating three things: unique, specialized pieces of technology; bizarre biological abilities and components; and esoteric techniques like secret martial arts maneuvers. Since WT and REIGN use very different point economies, this requires a good amount of finagling to make work.

Here’s what I’ve come up with. I’m calling them Marvels.

All Marvels have the following Aspects:

1. Form
2. Theory
3. A Skill that you roll to use the Marvel
4. At least one Function

Form: Form defines the Marvel’s state in the universe. There are three possible Forms:
Built- A Built Marvel is a piece of constructed technology, or some kind of artifact. Choosing the Built form gives you a -1 point deduction from the Marvel’s cost.
Grown- A Grown Marvel is a part of its user’s biology and/or anatomy. The Grown Form doesn’t affect the Marvel’s Cost.
Learned- A Learned Marvel is a special technique or art that the user has been trained in. Marvels with the Learned form have an additional 1 Point cost to them.

Theory: Theory establishes the sci-fi underpining that makes the Marvel possible. In a sense, it carries over the idea of Sources from Wild Talent’s Archetypes system. There’s no real mechanical aspect to a Theory-- it’s mostly a narrative device and a way for the user to make-up technobabble to support his abilities. Like Sources in Wild Talents, I’ve put together a list of Theories that can be picked from.

Skill: Unlike WT, where Powers typically have their own Skill pool, Marvels are used by making a Stat + Skill roll. The Skill involved may be an existing skill, like Athletics or Fascinate, or it may be a wholly unique skill, like Mind + Telekinesis. If the Marvel uses a unique skill, then it gets a -1 point reduction to its cost.

Function: What Wild Talent’s calls Meta-Qualities. Since Qualities in REIGN means something completely different, this requires a different name, and I like the idea of a Marvel being defined by Form and Function. There are three Functions, same as in WT, and cost 2 Points each:
Attacks- A Marvel with the Attacks Function inflicts Damage, starting at Width in Shock
Defends- A Marvel with the Defends Function generates Gobble Dice against Attacks
Useful- A Marvel with the Useful Function does anything else not related to inflicting or preventing damage.

A Marvel must have at least one Function, but can have as many as the designer wants and can afford.

A Marvel’s Function must have a Target, which are as follows:
Self: The Function only affects the user
Range: The Function exerts its effect at a distance
Mass: The Function affects an object within reach
Augment: This is a departure from Wild Talents. Augment means that the Function doesn’t have its own Target parameters, but instead modifies the output of an existing Skill. In other words, it’s baking in the Augments Extra. Augments is primarily used with the Attacks Function, where it can be used to add Extras to your attack rolls to create unique combat techniques, similar to REIGN’s Martial Paths. If you have an Attacks Augment Function, then your default damage and range is whatever the Attack Skill would normally have-- so if your Marvel Augments your Brawling Skill, you’re still doing Width in Shock at melee range, but it can add damage or Extras to the attack.

Extras and Flaws: These largely work in the same way as they do in Wild Talents. I want to also bring in Extras and Flaws derived from the Esoteric Discipline Effects listed in REIGN in order to broaden the scope of the Miracles system.

Putting it Together: In Wild Talents, once you build a Miracle you wind up with a Points per Die Cost, which you then invest in to build a dice pool for that Power. With Marvels, you aren’t buying a Dice Pool, you’re buying the Marvel itself, all at once or in part (so if you have a Learned Marvel that represents a combat school, you can acquire its Functions individually).

For Example, let’s say you want to create a Marvel that creates a Zero-Point Energy Field that freeze someone in place. This can be done by adapting an existing power from the Wild Talents Miracle Cafeteria with the Containment power, which normally costs 4 points per die. Here’s how it could be done with the Marvels system, with some minor variations:

Zero Point Containment Field Projector (Total Cost: 4 Points)
Built (-1 Point) / Relativity and Topology
Skill: Mind + Field Manipulation
Useful Range and Mass (4 Points)
Extras: Duration (2 Points)
Flaws: Unique Skill (-1 Point)
This device projects a field of zero-point energy that prevents an object or character from moving for Width turns (or 10 seconds per Width if not in combat). A character contained by this device can make a Brawling check to escape if they are able to beat the Height of the initial Set which contained them.

A player can acquire this piece of equipment for his character at a cost of 4 Points; to use it, he has to Roll Mind + Field Manipulation; since Field Manipulation isn’t a common skill like Athletics or Scrutiny, it counts as a -1 Flaw for the Projector. That Skill may serve no other purpose other than allowing the character to use the Projector, unless he acquires some other Marvel that also uses the Field Manipulation Skill, like an Electromagnetic Field controller.

The tl;dr version: you buy special gear, organs or techniques for a lump sum, and use them by rolling either a common skill or a specialized skill.

Any thoughts on this? Major ideas that I’m missing? Is this a fundamentally flawed approach or am I onto something?

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Is there some way I'm missing that Smoke Armor isn't incredibly overpowered? Like yes, it is a spell that's reasonably hard to cast quickly, but if you've got it up and are wearing mundane armor underneath it it seems like it takes either armor-piercing attacks or an insane juggernaut to even hurt you, much less truly threaten you.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Yeah, 'How many metres can my character move in a period of five seconds' is a less useful thing to know than 'can my character reach (thing) in time?'. That way you don't as GM need to keep track of how far each thing is apart from each other thing -- you just make people roll a minor, significant or major skill check, depending on the circumstance.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Zarick posted:

Is there some way I'm missing that Smoke Armor isn't incredibly overpowered? Like yes, it is a spell that's reasonably hard to cast quickly, but if you've got it up and are wearing mundane armor underneath it it seems like it takes either armor-piercing attacks or an insane juggernaut to even hurt you, much less truly threaten you.

I'm not quite sure Stolze appreciated how good Armor is in ORE when he wrote it. It's like there's a sidebar in one of the supplements apologising for magic schools that need you to multiaction and get two pairs (Fire Dancing, for example) because he didn't realise how insanely hard that made it to be good at combat with those spell schools. Smoke Armor and Lesser Angelic Transformation from Sunwise Healing are shockingly good. So are Iron Tortoise, Serpent Fang and Insouciant Monkey - stacking Armor is fucken crazy. It's why I ended up putting a hard cap on it.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Doodmons posted:

I'm not quite sure Stolze appreciated how good Armor is in ORE when he wrote it. It's like there's a sidebar in one of the supplements apologising for magic schools that need you to multiaction and get two pairs (Fire Dancing, for example) because he didn't realise how insanely hard that made it to be good at combat with those spell schools. Smoke Armor and Lesser Angelic Transformation from Sunwise Healing are shockingly good. So are Iron Tortoise, Serpent Fang and Insouciant Monkey - stacking Armor is fucken crazy. It's why I ended up putting a hard cap on it.

A friend suggested a houserule that makes Armor stack like Company traits: if one of the values is lesser, you only use the higher. If they're both equal, you use Value +1. Also to have armor only subtract its rating in total damage, not from both Killing/Shock. With these houserules weapon damage order matters, so swords do killing first (but more) and shock second. Maces do Shock first (but more of it) and Killing second. It makes maces do more real damage against armored guys and swords against unarmored. It seems like it works reasonably well.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Is Jailbreak workable in a group where you have three seasoned roleplayers and two/three relative newbs? I'm eye-ing introducing my group to UA and Jailbreak looks like the greatest adventure ever written, but one that needs at least 5-6 players to work right, and my usual group is three people strong. I should be able to interest some people who are into boardgames for a one-off, though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

dex_sda posted:

Is Jailbreak workable in a group where you have three seasoned roleplayers and two/three relative newbs? I'm eye-ing introducing my group to UA and Jailbreak looks like the greatest adventure ever written, but one that needs at least 5-6 players to work right, and my usual group is three people strong. I should be able to interest some people who are into board games for a one-off, though.

Put the strong players on opposite sides of the fence; I'd give them Guard, one of the Prisoners, and the Homeowner.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Couple better angels questions, though some of it is just me clarifying that I've got my head around some of the stuff correctly. It is amazingly hard to google stuff for this haha.

Demon possessed aren't going to go down unless they're taking big hits, since open slides to sly and both need to be eaten to be dying. Like if they were over 5 total open+sly you can work them down to 5, but after that you need to be getting width 4 hits to make any progress. The intro fight my guys had I just ended it after he hurt them a bit and they abandoned other plans of attack to just beat him down, since I had missed the open damage at 0 open goes into sly damage.

During combat non-physical attacks: roll a defense for the target just like a non-combat exchange yes? Any interaction with physical action rolls?

Psychic objects don't give you any bonus aside from a normal weapon bonus or whatever right? So if someone summons up a magic shotgun it should just be a weapon bonus of +2.

Courage doesn't seem to really come up as an option too much, since as soon as their demon is invoked they automatically use cruelty. If they're not-invoked and attacking normal people they still use cruelty right?

The social bits get a tad.. weird, though I'm sure it'll shake out better after we play more.

Devious deceit/honesty only generates surprise dice or act under a general "I was a mile away officer!", but can't attack tactics.
Insightful deceit/honesty is defense/counter-reading someone trying to manipulate them.
Devious nurture tends to move sinful to virtuous, while devious corruption the other way.
Are there ways to attack with insightful corruption/nurture, or are those more along the lines of "use these to figure out a tact to take for a devious move"?

A person of authority telling people to do something (good for them) should probably be a .. devious nurture?

Intellectual struggles get basically passed over for the most part besides the whole "can't kill them with it" bit. How would you frame attacks using those? I can see some with the greed/generosity axis, but drawing a blank for espionage/knowledge.

System was quite fun even with me having a shaky grasp on some of the rulings (for example forgot about weapon combat bonus, so psychic object seemed much less useful) and it being a new system for the guys.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So I've put together a few new Advantages for using REIGN in a sci-fi space adventure setting. Dropbox link here

Thoughts? Anything I should tune up/down? Especially re: Enhanced Body Parts. Oh and Implanted Weapon is meant to be a more flexible/generic replacement for Cannibal Smile.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Looking for some input here regarding Martial Paths.

I'm building some new Paths for my ORE homebrew; in the past I've not done much with Martial Paths but I wanted to come up with some that were interesting and (I thought) unique.

Homebrewed Martial Paths

Any feedback for these ideas? Do any stand out as being too weak or too strong for their point progression?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Unknown Armies 3 KS will be in March or April

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

YESSSSS! I can't wait!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Couple sessions into better angels and the group is starting to pick it up better. One guy made a devilish skeleton key (open any mechanical lock), the person who session 1 was swearing to never use their powers kidnapped a high schooler and spent a couple days with them in a basement breaking bad style (along with impossible beauty). Plans tend to have a strong opener and then fall apart quickly, so when I recap it is hilarious for all of us (taking out security cameras after cutting a hole in the chain link fence). Some powers that weren't really used the first few sessions are starting to see a lot of play, especially psychic object.

Looking forward to playing another session more than I have for a lot of things in a while. For reference running the no soul left behind campaign, we're still on the 2nd adventure segment (first being the intro thing) with 4 roughly 3 hr sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Soon...

https://twitter.com/GregStolze/status/699593846993321985?s=09