Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

My main question is whether Oath of Nissa could be good in modern. The power level seems fairly close to Serum Visions in creature heavy decks and it does help to cast LotV.

My guess is that Jund would happily play serum visions if it could - which this wouldn't quite be in that deck - but maybe it's close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A green serum visions in the context of jund is actually a little scary. (though again, it might not be quite that powerful)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

My main question is whether Oath of Nissa could be good in modern. The power level seems fairly close to Serum Visions in creature heavy decks and it does help to cast LotV.
I think Linvala asks some interesting questions about how often she'll trigger in your deck and the current metagame. I think it plays out pretty differently to the other options.

I'm mostly talking about that Sphinx, which isn't going to see play while Ojutai is around. Ojutai is an actual interesting card that promotes a different kind of gameplay than the typical blue I Win card because it gives you a legit option to race your opponent.

As a jund/abzan player I would say no to Oath because the decks already have several valid Turn 1 plays with Thoughtseize/IOK or even Bolt when the opponent drops a Hierarch or something. Getting a T1 IOK or Thoughtseize is just the most ideal play and I can't see replacing any of those or Path/Bolt.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 1, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

My guess is that Jund would happily play serum visions if it could - which this wouldn't quite be in that deck - but maybe it's close enough.

Jund also plays a plainswalker 4x of that isn't always easy to cast.

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm mostly talking about that Sphinx, which isn't going to see play while Ojutai is around. Ojutai is an actual interesting card that promotes a different kind of gameplay than the typical blue I Win card because it gives you a legit option to race your opponent.

As a jund/abzan player I would say no to Oath because the decks already have several valid Turn 1 plays with Thoughtseize/IOK or even Bolt when the opponent drops a Hierarch or something.

Basically this is my first thought as well. However one of jund's biggest weaknesses is that it has no filtering and is totally reliant to what is off the top of the deck. I could see playing around with triming a few things to give it a whirl.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 1, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

Jund also plays a plainswalker 4x of that isn't always easy to cast.

Basically this is my first thought as well. However one of jund's biggest weaknesses is that it has no filtering and is totally reliant to what is off the top of the deck. I could see playing around with triming a few things to give it a whirl.

But I would say that Jund's biggest strength is that it doesn't really need filtering because it's greatest strength is sheer card quality. That's why Liliana is so good in the deck: nothing really beats Jund/k in topdeck mode.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oath of Nissa can totally be a 4 of simply because.

A) Essentially a Green Ponder.
B) The Legendary Rule means you toss them in the yard, which fuels Delve.
C) They let you get greedy with mana but still allow you to cast Gideon on turn 4 without fear of choking on mana.

I'm buying 4 when they release. They're really good.

I'm also legit surprised one of the cycle isn't poo poo. Hopefully the only bad one is the blue one.

Edit: Also that's not even a Fumarole what the gently caress it's a giant rock worm.

Wandering Pinnacle would've made more sense.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 1, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rinkles posted:

But that means you can't play IOK or thought seize turn 1. :ohdear:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

But I would say that Jund's biggest strength is that it doesn't really need filtering because it's greatest strength is sheer card quality. That's why Liliana is so good in the deck: nothing really beats Jund/k in topdeck mode.

Jund card quality is definitely the strength of the deck for sure. I look forward to testing out this card in some of the discard slots though. Although turn 1 inquisition/thoughsieze is the hotness, they are also cards that don't play well off the top of the deck in a lot of matchups. Hell, game 2 and 3 against leyline sideboards can be disgusting and a card like this can maybe balance out the 75 a little better. Its hard to say for sure if it will fit or not right now.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Since it's a cantrip, I'll be surprised if it doesn't make it as at least a one of in the list if not two.

Also, I'll be surprised if this doesn't end up being at least ten bucks.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Elyv posted:

so the interesting thing about this is that it is bad against bolt in a somewhat counterintuitive way. If you try to switch to a 4/1 and they bolt in response to the activation that turns it into a 4/1, the stack will look like this:
bolt
fumarole activation

so even though it's a 1/4, it takes 3 and switches to a 4/1 and dies

bolt's not in standard

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

As a jund/abzan player I would say no to Oath because the decks already have several valid Turn 1 plays with Thoughtseize/IOK or even Bolt when the opponent drops a Hierarch or something. Getting a T1 IOK or Thoughtseize is just the most ideal play and I can't see replacing any of those or Path/Bolt.

Grixis manages to blay both + the cantrip.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

bolt's not in standard

That's not actually relevant.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

bolt's not in standard

This card's going to show up in Modern, too.

And shock does the same thing in standard.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Edit: Also that's not even a Fumarole what the gently caress it's a giant rock worm.

Wandering Pinnacle would've made more sense.

:hfive:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It's green anticipate, it's not ponder. Also, it doesn't let you grab instants or sorceries, which means that jund may very well not actually want it.

It'll be great in standard, where G/x decks are always hugely creature focused, but I don't know if the inability to find interactive cards is worth playing it in modern, where not interacting means you're either a combo deck or dead.

I guess the question is whether very limited card filtering is good enough in a format where those limitations matter a lot more than in standard. I don't play jund or junk or whatever, so I can't claim to be an expert, but I don't think it'll work out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Visions in grixis also has the added benefits of fueling delve (per copy) and being flashbackable with Snapy/Jace.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

BizarroAzrael posted:

I really hope black gets something in the Oath space.

If I were a whimsical magical elf like MaRo, I'd probably make it something like:

Oath of Bobby Nixon - 2B
When ~ ETB, target player discards 2 cards unless they discard a planeswalker card. On your upkeep, each opponent loses 2 life for each planeswalker they have in play.
Blah blah blah I will rule or destroy every plane, gently caress all y'all.

Or some other flavor of "Punish opponent unless they lose a planeswalker in some way, and then punish them further for owning planeswalkers", to serve as the anti-Oaths of the others.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 1, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Melira/CoCo decks, then.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

BizarroAzrael posted:

I really hope black gets something in the Oath space.

I hope it's just Ob swearing to kill every living being in the multiverse. Have him doing the goofy little hand sign and everything.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

This card's going to show up in Modern, too.

And shock does the same thing in standard.

Shock's not in standard

:spergin:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Archenteron posted:

Blah blah blah I will rule or destroy every plane, gently caress all y'all.
I want this to be the flavor text of a card and I don't even care what said card does.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Fish Of Doom posted:

I hope it's just Ob swearing to kill every living being in the multiverse. Have him doing the goofy little hand sign and everything.

Giving the finger, preferably

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Bobby Nixon is the only entertaining character so obviously he dies in this arc.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 1, 2016

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Angry Grimace posted:

nothing really beats Jund/k in topdeck mode.

I mostly play BGx midrange decks in modern and I lose all the goddamn time to tron and scapeshift in top deck mode. Makes me so angry :argh:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Molybdenum posted:

I mostly play BGx midrange decks in modern and I lose all the goddamn time to tron and scapeshift in top deck mode. Makes me so angry :argh:
Well Tron is a sucky matchup but I have no explanation for the Scapeshift thing.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 2, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If we're talking about modern the Ponder comparison is irrelevant. Ponder is banned, and a far inferior card is a major staple. Anticipate is a stronger effect (IE, ignoring cost) than Serum Visions so I guess the question is how many misses can you have before Oath of Nissa becomes too bad.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Fish Of Doom posted:

It's probably just that goofy black sorcery that's already been spoiled. It has a quote from him and the card art features all the walkers in the cool kids club.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Well Tron is a sucky matchup but I have no explanation for the Scapeshift thing.

Scapeshift just needs to rip one card off of the top and they win, and there's nothing Jund can do about that

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

If we're talking about modern the Ponder comparison is irrelevant. Ponder is banned, and a far inferior card is a major staple. Anticipate is a stronger effect (IE, ignoring cost) than Serum Visions so I guess the question is how many misses can you have before Oath of Nissa becomes too bad.

Except Serum Visions is in a completely different color and does a completely different thing so that's not actually the question at all.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 2, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It has a very similar function - increasing card quality. It's in a different colour but it's a function that basically every deck wants.

e: other than hard aggro

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's about a bit more than just missing. A lot of times a hit with a land (and say 2 instants) won't be worth much more than missing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

When I say "misses" I mean in the deck. If you theoretically had a deck that played 59 creatures/planeswalkers Oath is clearly a great 60th card and stronger than Serum Visions. So the question is how many unhittable cards (leading to scenarios like that) can you add before it becomes too bad to play.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I'm glad we're topping off the Most Expensive Standard Ever with one-mana card filtering cantrips being moved from common to rare.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

When I say "misses" I mean in the deck. If you theoretically had a deck that played 59 creatures/planeswalkers Oath is clearly a great 60th card and stronger than Serum Visions. So the question is how many unhittable cards (leading to scenarios like that) can you add before it becomes too bad to play.

Elvish Spirit Guide to cast it? (sorry)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

No kidding. Non-exciting, utility potential 4-of at rare. For flavour reasons.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I doubt any rare in an expedition set will get too expensive.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I doubt any rare in an expedition set will get too expensive.

Depends on what you consider too expensive. This could have pennies at common, half a dollar at uncommon.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Goddamn 8th Edition Draft is some poo poo right there

No seriously if you think BFZ drafts are loving horrible I encourage you to log onto MTGO and try 8th Edition Draft I mean what in the actual gently caress

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 2, 2016

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This green Ponder also makes you reveal the card, which is not as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

another leak, phoneposting so no picture

Watchful Mystic
G
Creature -- Elf Druid
T: Add G to your mana pool.
T: Add G to your mana pool for each planeswalker you control.
Mythic Rare

e: the flavor text is "In the name of liberty, we will watch our planeswalker friends kill the eldrazi at the gate. oaths"

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 2, 2016

• Locked thread