Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Our 1-mana mana dork is now Mythic?

gently caress you, Wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

End of Life Guy posted:

It was a joke.

I hope.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

End of Life Guy posted:

It's fake; its some kind of goon joke I don't actually get, as far as I can tell

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 2, 2016

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

another leak, phoneposting so no picture

Watchful Mystic
G
Creature -- Elf Druid
T: Add G to your mana pool.
T: Add G to your mana pool for each planeswalker you control.
Mythic Rare

e: the flavor text is "In the name of liberty, we will watch our planeswalker friends kill the eldrazi at the gate. oaths"

The flavor text is too coherent. Obvious fake.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Goddamn 8th Edition Draft is some poo poo right there

No seriously if you think BFZ drafts are loving horrible I encourage you to log onto MTGO and try 8th Edition Draft I mean what in the actual gently caress
This does look pretty loving dire.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/strategy/20030904a
Just look at those green commons goddamn

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Most of the matchups have been vanilla dudes vs. vanilla dudes unless one of them has a relevant landwalk.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i have no desire to draft a core set that is just edition numbers instead of the year

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

Bobby Nixon is the only entertaining character so obviously he dies in this arc.

I want to see him die an ignominious death at the hands of a Kozilek spawn. Just gloating over Gideon and company when a Koz sperm just floats by and cuts him in half with those protrusions without even realizing it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

What's the next draft, something better, I hope?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Count Bleck posted:

What's the next draft, something better, I hope?

It's going in order of Modern set releases - Mirrodin, Mirrodin / Darksteel, and MD5 are the next 3 draft formats.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mandatory lesbian posted:

i have no desire to draft a core set that is just edition numbers instead of the year

This is the time to play the Blood Moon/Ensnaring Bridge lottery.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess this whole exercise is probably partly to remind us how awful old draft formats could be

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

MMD is such a good format though all older drafts are ruined by the removal of damage on the stack

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Rinkles posted:

Elvish Spirit Guide to cast it? (sorry)

Well, it does hit lands, and if there is nothing but lands at the top, you can still get the best land (like a fetch).

The only time a deck with this should fail to hit is if you play Oath T1 and get your other three Oaths.

Also, with the new mulligan rule, if Oath and an untapped green land are in your opener, you can scry away a miss or know what you'll get with it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I guess this whole exercise is probably partly to remind us how awful old draft formats could be

core sets didn't become draft formats until M10, so it's not actually an old draft format

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Goddamn 8th Edition Draft is some poo poo right there

No seriously if you think BFZ drafts are loving horrible I encourage you to log onto MTGO and try 8th Edition Draft I mean what in the actual gently caress

Yesterday I drafted it for the first time, and my opponent played two Crossbow Infantry, an Aven Flock, and a Razorfoot Griffin vs my Air Elemental, two Angelic Pages, and a couple of 2/2 fliers. Every turn I just stared at the board and faced the dawning realization that I would never be able to attack or block for the rest of the game, and then he killed me with a 2/2 fear.

Tap creatures that do annoying things in combat are probably the worst part of older Limited formats.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tenth Edition might be better.

8th and 9th are just there to be Ensnaring Bridge/Blood Moon Lotto tickets basically.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fish Of Doom posted:

I hope it's just Ob swearing to kill every living being in the multiverse. Have him doing the goofy little hand sign and everything.

Nixilis's "Oath" would be the other sense of the word.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Oath of Planeswalker Not Appearing in this Set

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

lazerwolf posted:

Liliana's gonna swoop in and be all tsundere for Jace and just agree just because.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Next week's uncharted realms (or maybe the week after, I dunno the release schedule) will have Liliana appear in the story, and spoil Lilinana's oath

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

cheetah7071 posted:

Next week's uncharted realms (or maybe the week after, I dunno the release schedule) will have Liliana appear in the story, and spoil Lilinana's oath

She's in Zendikar?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Maybe this will be a 4 card cycle and then Liliana's Oath will get surprise printed in Innistrad after she joins the avengers.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

cheetah7071 posted:

"And Superqueen! The best one of the five!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
No non mythic rare from this set is going to be more than a buck or two.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Easy there partner, that's a tall order.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I mean, non-mythics from BFZ haven't gone above maybe $5, but that might be because the only cards people actually want from BFZ are the mythics and lands.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean Shambling Vent is still sub $5 in spite of being a ~3 of in 45% of standard decks and the second most played manland in modern.

e: Painful Truths would be another example of a heavily played standard card with decent eternal prospects. The expedition effect seems pretty real.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 2, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean Shambling Vent is still sub $5 in spite of being a ~3 of in 45% of standard decks and the second most played manland in modern.

e: Painful Truths would be another example of a heavily played standard card with decent eternal prospects. The expedition effect seems pretty real.

So what you're telling me is that Wizards can easily bring down the price of standard by putting dumb "secret rare" esque cards in every set.

Good. Do this.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I really want WOTC to start doing the contoured foils from Pokemon as the secret rare style after expeditions because they look and feel so nice.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Chill la Chill posted:

I really want WOTC to start doing the contoured foils from Pokemon as the secret rare style after expeditions because they look and feel so nice.

Couldn't that cause some problems in terms of tournament playability? Not that regular foils don't already have their own problems.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's a sad state of affairs that we'll probably have drama over contoured foiling cheaters but they are cool and good. And the drama will be great!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

lazerwolf posted:

this isn't an emptyquote

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Tenth Edition might be better.

8th and 9th are just there to be Ensnaring Bridge/Blood Moon Lotto tickets basically.

I think they just put them there so they could say every modern format was in the rotation.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

¬ (No non mythic rare from this set is going to be more than a buck or two.)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

So what you're telling me is that Wizards can easily bring down the price of standard by putting dumb "secret rare" esque cards in every set.

Good. Do this.

Presuming none of the standard cards you need are mythics or fetch lands, sure.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Count Bleck posted:

Good. Do this.

I agree, but what other cards do they use that aren't on the reserve list or cut into a potential modern masters set down the line?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lottery of Babylon posted:

another leak, phoneposting so no picture

Watchful Mystic
G
Creature -- Elf Druid
T: Add G to your mana pool.
T: Add G to your mana pool for each planeswalker you control.
Mythic Rare

e: the flavor text is "In the name of liberty, we will watch our planeswalker friends kill the eldrazi at the gate. oaths"

This should have flying

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cactrot posted:

I agree, but what other cards do they use that aren't on the reserve list or cut into a potential modern masters set down the line?

Cards that have spiked for the stupidest reasons over the last few months.

Yes. Give me a special art Storm World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Cards that have spiked for the stupidest reasons over the last few months.

Yes. Give me a special art Storm World.

Special art Gaddock Teeg

• Locked thread