Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

jivjov posted:

I'm not sure he had his bowcaster that far back; it may have just been an E11

Han throws him one of the Imperial guns they're carrying around. Stormtroopers walking around with bowcasters would have probably blown their cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

I'm not sure he had his bowcaster that far back; it may have just been an E11
Nah he had one of those fuckoff heavy blasters built out of an MG-42.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

KurdtLives posted:

when the Stormies tried to stop their takeoff from Mos Eisley I think Chewie let it rip though.

Nope, he was already in the cockpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k-941c-ZTc&t=105s

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Pretty sure there's a publicity photo of Han and Chewie on the ramp of the Falcon and Chewie is holding the crossbow.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
The CinemaD Star Wars thread got me thinking if any of the clones , who are obviously sentient beings, felt regret after executing order 66 in the EU? Are the clones more droid than human?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

LolitaSama posted:

The CinemaD Star Wars thread got me thinking if any of the clones , who are obviously sentient beings, felt regret after executing order 66 in the EU? Are the clones more droid than human?

According to The Clone Wars, the mental chips in their brains made them incapable of remorse.
It literally overrode their memories of past events and loyalties. Jedi were enemies of the Republic, full stop. Everything that came before happened but it no longer matters.

And according to the Rebels tie-in comic, even when confronted with contradictory evidence, the clones (with the chip) couldn't reconcile the two realities and so when with the Order 66 programming.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 2, 2016

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I never get why Karen Traviss was so against the idea that the clones were indoctrinated or programmed or whatever for Order 66, but all just did it simply because it was their order. For someone who went out of their way to explicitly say that Jedi = Nazis, she then gives her heroes the Nuremberg Defense. But I guess in her view of the universe the Jedi were all completely evil and mean to the clones and so that justified it.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

jivjov posted:

From a lore standpoint I still really want to know why Toydarians are immune to mind tricks. We learn in IV that mind tricks work on the weak minded (and by implication and Jabba's example fail to work on the strong minded). But then Watto just casually drops that all Toydarians have some manner of species-wide immunity.

I figure Toydarians aren't really immune, Watto's just a species-chauvinist and doesn't believe some silly Jedi trick would ever work on one of his people.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Chairman Capone posted:

I never get why Karen Traviss was so against the idea that the clones were indoctrinated or programmed or whatever for Order 66, but all just did it simply because it was their order. For someone who went out of their way to explicitly say that Jedi = Nazis, she then gives her heroes the Nuremberg Defense. But I guess in her view of the universe the Jedi were all completely evil and mean to the clones and so that justified it.

Mandalore, Mandalore uber alles.

Though judging by the one and only Karen Traviss book I bothered to read that's actually fairly accurate, given the Nationalistic racial pride she gave them and the extreme glorification of Mandalorian folk culture.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

LolitaSama posted:

In the Ep III novelization, IIRC, Obi-Wan's clone bro (Commander Cody?), gets the order and is all exasperated because he's just given Obi-Wan his weapon back.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I did like Traviss's interpretation of Order 66, at least in the moment it went down. Total chaos among the infantry and the more independent thinking clones in the commando and ARC units, but overall their programmed obedience winning through. The majority of the Order 66 obedience came from the massive Centax 2 reserve army, while more of the old guard clones seemed more likely to question the orders. Also, from another story, one I cannot remember, Cody's thoughts about Order 66 came down to being annoyed it couldn't have happened before he gave Kenobi his lightsaber back.

I am more willing to give Traviss slack for her Republic Commando books than I am her contributions to Legacy of the Force. At least with the RepCom books, you can argue that her views on the Jedi are shared by the justifiably (in context) pissed off Mandalorian Nationalists and their highly impressionable clone recruits would lead to those perspectives. Of course a bunch of hankering for the old days glory of the Mandalorians would have a superior opinion of themselves compared to the Jedi, and you can sort of see how that would build up Skirata and Vau's really slanted view of the war.

Taken in its own bubble I don't have much of a problem with the Skirata clan. In isolation I can handle their very biased view of the galaxy and treat it as an author tic. It's not acceptable however when she starts throwing the same madness around with the major characters of the EU.

And before you say that all this was Traviss's idea, there was also Climber Squad from Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, that went rogue after O66 and refused to fire on Jedi at Kashyyyk.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 2, 2016

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Hot take: Star Wars was better before the Mandalorians were fleshed out

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blitz7x posted:

Hot take: Star Wars was better before the Mandalorians were fleshed out

Counterpoint: Knights of the Old Republic 2, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, Jango Fett: Open Seasons, and Star Wars: Bounty Hunter.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Counterpoint: Knights of the Old Republic 2
Wasn't the plot to this game basically "Jedi gently caress everything up, Mandalore uber alles"? :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Counterpoint: Knights of the Old Republic 2, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, Jango Fett: Open Seasons, and Star Wars: Bounty Hunter.

they were fleshed out in KOTOR 1 too. though not as much.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Siivola posted:

Wasn't the plot to this game basically "Jedi gently caress everything up, Mandalore uber alles"? :v:

No?

Last time I checked it was a decent deconstruction of all Star Wars tropes wrapped up in a sadly buggly rushed package thanks to LucasArts. Worth checking out now the restoration mod finished a few years ago now.

Mandos never got really that bad in Star Wars games, just some books and comics.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I really wanna see someone Darth Maul join up with the team in Rebels. Not because he's a good guy, but because he just wants to gently caress over Sidious.
Him and Kanan would be great as buddy cops.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Siivola posted:

No, the Mandalorians were a broken people in that game desperately trying to become relevant again, and the entire plot of the game was started because of how badly the Mandalorian Wars hosed up the galaxy to begin with. The Jedi Civil War was a byproduct of five years of genocide and massacre.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

Taken in its own bubble I don't have much of a problem with the Skirata clan. In isolation I can handle their very biased view of the galaxy and treat it as an author tic. It's not acceptable however when she starts throwing the same madness around with the major characters of the EU.

Yeah; this is exactly how I feel about Traviss' Mando-bias. From the context of the RepCom novels it made sense to focus on Clan Skirata and their particular hang ups with the Jedi Order...but her NJO ebook with "the three edged knife of Jedi, Sith, and Mandos" and Luke/Ben hero-worshipping them in LotF were absolutely ridiculous.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

My favorite part is when Jaina Solo's training with Boba Fett and she's absolutely useless because apparently she has no experience dueling against people with lightsaber-resistant armor that she can't sense with the Force.

Golly, it's too bad that she hadn't just spent fifteen books straight doing exactly that. :rolleyes:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 2, 2016

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
One of the worst thing about KT's Mando-centric books, whether LotF or Republic Commando, is how she always justifies the Mandos/Clones treating the Jedi as evil Hitlerstalins who treat Clones as subhuman and disposable by going "well they ARE evil, just look at this and this and this!" and then the examples she gives are from her own drat books that she wrote.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Flagrant Abuse posted:

One of the worst thing about KT's Mando-centric books, whether LotF or Republic Commando, is how she always justifies the Mandos/Clones treating the Jedi as evil Hitlerstalins who treat Clones as subhuman and disposable by going "well they ARE evil, just look at this and this and this!" and then the examples she gives are from her own drat books that she wrote.

I remember at least twice, she did this but with examples from other books, but deliberately changed what she was referencing to give them an evil context that weren't in the original works.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember at least twice, she did this but with examples from other books, but deliberately changed what she was referencing to give them an evil context that weren't in the original works.

Which I am fine with in the context of the RepCom books. Like I said, Skirata and Vau have very skewed perspectives where they could contextualize a Jedi act as evil hitlersteins. No defense for LOTF though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Which I am fine with in the context of the RepCom books. Like I said, Skirata and Vau have very skewed perspectives where they could contextualize a Jedi act as evil hitlersteins. No defense for LOTF though.

At least one of those it wasn't from the Mandalorian POV though, it was Etain thinking something equivalent to "Master Yoda did always say that clones were worthless flesh droids who deserved to be enslaved!" which went beyond any sort of "from my perspective" type thing and into deliberately giving him a that was not only not shown anywhere else, but at odds with what was shown.

I remember also in the Order 66 novel, she quotes the transmission from the Republic Commando game where you're ordered to leave Sev behind, but actually changes the dialogue to make it more anti-clone.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
And then it turns out clones actually are preprogrammed flesh automatons so who's the real monsters, eh?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember also in the Order 66 novel, she quotes the transmission from the Republic Commando game where you're ordered to leave Sev behind, but actually changes the dialogue to make it more anti-clone.

Yeah, there's no defending that one. I hated that they shoved Etain into the Kashyyyk Campaign like that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think there was also a bit in Order 66 where Scout from Dark Rendezvous reappears and joins the MANDOS because the Jedi had hated her all along for being weak in the Force, even though one of everyone's favourite parts of Dark Rendezvous was the bit where Yoda reassures Scout that it would never stop her from becoming a great Jedi.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

SeanBeansShako posted:

He's accusing people of being white slavers for doing a better job with something he sold with full knowledge and consent and then pretty much thinks he knows what we want after the prequals.

I'm entitled to think he is acting like a knob.

He was going to be miserable no matter what, honestly. I kinda feel bad for the guy, getting protection from editors doesn't usually backfire *quite* that spectacularly.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Keiya posted:

He was going to be miserable no matter what, honestly. I kinda feel bad for the guy, getting protection from editors doesn't usually backfire *quite* that spectacularly.

He could've spent that entire interview making "chaching" noises and come off better. That's what gets me.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Chairman Capone posted:

I never played Republic Commando (it's in my Steam library though, no excuse) or read Order 66, anyone want to post the two different quotes? This sounds great.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I was going through all of my EU star war books and found some "Choose your own Adventure" ESB and RotJ books that are going for like 40 used on amazon.

Of all my complete-ish star wars collection I didn't expect that

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ninjahedgehog posted:

I never played Republic Commando (it's in my Steam library though, no excuse) or read Order 66, anyone want to post the two different quotes? This sounds great.

Play Republic Commando. It's one of the best games with the Star Wars license, and a genuinely fun FPS.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Angry Salami posted:

I figure Toydarians aren't really immune, Watto's just a species-chauvinist and doesn't believe some silly Jedi trick would ever work on one of his people.

He doesn't think they're really Jedi, so he's laughing at their ridiculous attempt to cheat him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

EVGA Longoria posted:

Play Republic Commando. It's one of the best games with the Star Wars license, and a genuinely fun FPS.

Random fun fact: Republic Commando was the game that taught me to use "normal" console First Person Shooter controls. I had played halo 1 & 2 previously, but was using the "legacy" control scheme (move forward and back, turn left and right bound to left stick. Move left and right, look up and down bound to right stick). RepCom only had the normal layout of Move on left, Look on right.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Siivola posted:

"They will die a death that will last millennia, until all that is left is the shell of their armor on the shell of a man, too easily slain by Jedi."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

So I have this vision, but no skill whatsoever to make it a reality.

J.J. Abrams' "The Titanic"

Cue scene as the Titanic makes its way out of the docks and cut to the captain and the first mate conversing as they leave, this takes about five minutes.

The captain, seeing they are now out in open waters says "Top speed" they talk a little more.

Suddenly an Ice berg out of nowhere! The Titanic swerves to avoid it but sadly it cannot. It begins to sink.

Cut to horrified onlookers in New York and Southampton looking on helplessly as it sinks before their very eyes.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 3, 2016

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
So I kinda want an X-Wing for my desk at work. I wouldn't mind one of the new ones from the newest movie. But I'm not the best model kit builder.

Is there anything like the old Bandai Macross toys that are pretty much hardcore metal and well made out of the box?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Insane Totoro posted:

So I kinda want an X-Wing for my desk at work. I wouldn't mind one of the new ones from the newest movie. But I'm not the best model kit builder.

Is there anything like the old Bandai Macross toys that are pretty much hardcore metal and well made out of the box?

How big do you want it? You could get one of the miniatures from the X-Wing tabletop game.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Like at least three or four inches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Get a Lego one. Everybody loves Lego.