Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

etalian posted:

The extra time could also be used for more skulls getting crushed and dismemberment

It could, but my money would be on things that are cheap to pad out the run time. So love interests for everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Perhaps the surviving hiker become part of the crew? Then they can waste plenty of time with an overwrought love triangle or something.

Seriously though what are the chances she is more than future gore spray?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yudo posted:

Perhaps the surviving hiker become part of the crew? Then they can waste plenty of time with an overwrought love triangle or something.

Seriously though what are the chances she is more than future gore spray?

Consider this

Anyone who was injured in the movies, notably by a Deadite or just something the Evil was loving around with, they would inevitably become a Deadite.

Sooo blondie's chances of survival are

Not good

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Burkion posted:

Consider this

Anyone who was injured in the movies, notably by a Deadite or just something the Evil was loving around with, they would inevitably become a Deadite.

Sooo blondie's chances of survival are

Not good

Good point. I kind of hope she makes it--perhaps her leg "goes bad" and she gets it replaced with an M-16 a la Grindhouse.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

The only thing I hope they change for season 2 is the episode length. 30 minutes doesn't really cut it. Just as you're starting to get in the groove, the credits roll. 40-45 minute episodes would be a lot better.

Naw. 30 minutes is pretty much perfect for this show.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Why?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I think the Hot Blonde Hiker will become a Deadite as a test of Pablo's resolve, either he will have to kill or be killed, or Kelly will take great enjoyment killing her and getting rid of her rival.

The way her leg got got Deadite-gored usually means she gonna Deadite-out before too long. I could have sworn she got impaled by some wooden thing the way it happened to Ash's dead friends in the original movie, which I just rewatched this week, having forgotten what great fun it is (we wore out the VHS tape of this back in the day in my old college dorm during the years shortly after it came out. Yes I am old why do you ask?).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Because right now there's literally no filler, to tack on 25 more minutes would be adding 25 minutes of filler. Either that or decrease the episodes from 10 to 5 and then make the episodes an hour long. Sam Raimi's style is breakneck-speed constant quipping and action, if a character isn't making a joke, moving the plot along or killing something then it's wasted time. And I don't know that either Raimi or the guest writers/directors could keep that kind of pace up for ten hour-long episodes per season.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Because right now there's literally no filler, to tack on 25 more minutes would be adding 25 minutes of filler. Either that or decrease the episodes from 10 to 5 and then make the episodes an hour long. Sam Raimi's style is breakneck-speed constant quipping and action, if a character isn't making a joke, moving the plot along or killing something then it's wasted time. And I don't know that either Raimi or the guest writers/directors could keep that kind of pace up for ten hour-long episodes per season.

Going from 30 minutes to 40 minutes would be 10 more minutes, not 25.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

Going from 30 minutes to 40 minutes would be 10 more minutes, not 25.

And you'd be right if the majority of the episodes were 30 minutes.

Most aren't more than 24 minutes.

Which is 16 minutes of filler!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

And you'd be right if the majority of the episodes were 30 minutes.

Most aren't more than 24 minutes.

Which is 16 minutes of filler!

I just calculated. Not counting the pilot, which was 41 minutes, as well as the finale, which hasn't aired yet, the average episode length was 27.25 minutes. So going to 40 would only be 12.75 minutes more!

I win bitches. Bow before me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

What were you hoping for in those 12 extra minutes that you aren't getting now? Like, that actually kind of hurts your case even more.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

What were you hoping for in those 12 extra minutes that you aren't getting now? Like, that actually kind of hurts your case even more.

More blood and mayhem? More quips? More... Kelly? ;)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hot Blonde is Hugo Weaving's niece.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Zwabu posted:

I think the Hot Blonde Hiker will become a Deadite as a test of Pablo's resolve, either he will have to kill or be killed, or Kelly will take great enjoyment killing her and getting rid of her rival.

The way her leg got got Deadite-gored usually means she gonna Deadite-out before too long. I could have sworn she got impaled by some wooden thing the way it happened to Ash's dead friends in the original movie, which I just rewatched this week, having forgotten what great fun it is (we wore out the VHS tape of this back in the day in my old college dorm during the years shortly after it came out. Yes I am old why do you ask?).

Bingo.

Also only people who get horrific injuries but still stay intact become Deadites, and usually the injury has to happen to their face/head area. Blonde chick isn't done for yet but she's the kill fodder for next episode.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rocksicles posted:

Now I want her to have a FIND THEM AND DESTROY THEM style scene on the finale.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chris Knight posted:

In a perfect (Netflix) world, episodes would run precisely "as long as they need to."

Would Episode A be better served by being 24 minutes? Would Episode B be better served by 40? Well, do that then!

Unfortunately Starz is not digital only and they still have to deal with a time slot issue. I am a "Less is more" kind of guy; as they say, brevity is the soul of wit. True of anything, doubly so for comedy. None of the episodes have felt rushed, and almost never have dragged, because they're very in sync with the time. Do I hope we get the occasional 40 minute episode again now and then? Sure. Season finals going 15 over would be great. Same with season openers or big middle episodes. But if I have to pick one or the other I'm picking the half hour format: I don't want them to burn out.

ED: Either that or go full hour with the episodes, and trim the number in half. That can work too. But the fact the show has no filler and is just balls to the wall all the time is why it works.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 29, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

My only complaint with the length as it is now is that it feels like they have to cut the action in weird places. I've never liked when shows end with an exciting build-up and then just do a hard cut to credits. Maybe that's what some would call a "cliffhanger" but to me it just feels like the episode is unfinished. You can do a final "sting", like an unexpected character shows up or some poo poo is about to go down after a moment of quiet, but don't do an action scene like Ash fighting Evil Ash and then just cut.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
My complaint is the credits and the intro/previously on sequences take for loving ever and cut into an already short runtime.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doltos posted:

Also only people who get horrific injuries but still stay intact become Deadites, and usually the injury has to happen to their face/head area.

Only because it's a dick move to do it to people who are horribly injured.

Possessing Blonde Hitchhiker is the ultimate dick move towards Pablo El Hijo del Libro de la Muerte so she's a goner.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 30, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

she looks like a younger Margot Robbie

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

etalian posted:

she looks like a younger Margot Robbie

Two whopping years younger! :D

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think the 30 minute time is perfect and very similar to older television serials that were very short and to the point Westerns that gave them this frenetic energy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

My complaint is the credits and the intro/previously on sequences take for loving ever and cut into an already short runtime.

I like that they do that because I have a lot of trouble remembering where everything had left off. I also like it when reality shows do that after commercial breaks.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Next week is going to be the Ash/Necronomicon team up I never knew I wanted!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah I'd agree with this the most out of the run time complaints. 30 minutes is fine and will be great to binge watch later, but there's no excuse that five-six minutes are devoted to credits and intro/previously on segments. They could easily squeeze in a few more minutes of action.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You know it's a pretty good show when the only thing being complained about is that there's not enough of what's already there.

I think people complaining about the length should just get over it because it's bad vibing it for them. Appreciate what's there and fast forward the intros.

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
I remember when everyone said the same thing about Metalocalypse. That the episodes were too short and that another ten or fifteen minutes would just be filled with more of the same great material.

Then they increased the episode length and hit pacing issues badly.

I'm not saying that's necessarily what would happen here, but it's something to keep in mind.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The show fits it's time length perfectly. To make it longer would be a severe violation of the First Rule of Showbiz: "Always leave them wanting more."

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just finished episode 4 and I love this show. Everything that I wanted.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think the episodes need to be longer in the sense that anything really needs to be added or fleshed out. However I've found that the pacing of the show just feels so hit and run and I think I probably would have enjoyed it more cut up into longer chunks. Like, the exact same footage and cuts but instead of 10 24 minute episodes its 4 60 minute ones. Just make it a month long thing in October and that's all. 1 episode on the setup, 1 on the Brujo, 1 on Fischer getting on board, and 1 on the cabin. MAYBE a little added content if you focused an episode around Ruby and Fischer so their thing felt less disjointed and forced into the early tone of the show. But that was my only real critical issue with the season and the only thing I thought they could have done better.

Obviously there's an easy viewer solution as you can just binge the show. I'm thinking I might do that for S2 too. I've got no major issues with the production of the show, just that the short episodes basically dragged it out more than I think it needed to.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Christ, poor Heather. Nasty way to go.

Great first season, really ramped up at the end.

Is this filmed in NZ? Was watching some of the behind the scenes details and heard some accents.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Christ, poor Heather. Nasty way to go.

Great first season, really ramped up at the end.

Is this filmed in NZ? Was watching some of the behind the scenes details and heard some accents.

Yes. Auckland, New Zeland. Same as Xena: Warrior Princess and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Is it being too big of a baby to ask that spoilers not be posted before the episodes actual tv air time?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EricFate posted:

Yes. Auckland, New Zeland. Same as Xena: Warrior Princess and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys.

Spartacus was also filmed in New Zealand, Starz seems to really like filming there for some reason.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

Spartacus was also filmed in New Zealand, Starz seems to really like filming there for some reason.

It's really cheap to film there.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Great finale, thought it was just about on par with the pilot. This whole venture was way, way better than I ever thought it would be, and I hope they can keep it up for season two.

The end was perfect - even though he had some character growth over the season, Ash's defining trait is that he's still a short-sighted idiot.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Burkion posted:

It's really cheap to film there.

I also read that the Kiwi and Aussie film production culture is much different due to being much smaller than hollywood.

You can have the same staff performing multiple roles during production, for example in Mad Max the the stunt men did the driving and also lots of the fights scenes.

Well at least it means Lucy Lawless has a short commute to work.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
What an insanely awesome finale. Spoilering it all since it hasn't TV aired yet:

Heather getting loving nailed by the house. Poor Pablo had to puke up demon children. Ash doing the dumbest most obvious gently caress up two episodes in a row to set up next season. WE'RE GOING TO JACKSONVILLE BABY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

it was long boring and didn't have enough boobies. I'm more a death wish man myself

• Locked thread