Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Beet Wagon posted:

Something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=64&l=e430287e159a54c59a165f50a99a1bc382e9eab7

You can go up and down on SRM and engine sizes for more heat sinks/speed, but that's the general idea you're gonna want to run for the X5.

As tempting as it is, it's not worth dropping the MLs to gain free tonnage - the X5 can't stay in the pocket like an SPL Firestarter or ACH can, and has to do sort of "strafing runs" so it's nice to be able to reach out and touch the other team at range.

I wound up doing this:

X-5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

This poo poo is loving stupid and I've come to actively dread the prospect of getting Boreal Vault in Counter Attack.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

Let's fight on a station built around a star

Vitric Forge would actually be p. cool if it were retooled into a regular map instead of CW

but that's because I hate CW

ZenVulgarity posted:

I wound up doing this:

X-5

I don't own one, but I've always felt like the missile slots are kind of a trap. Maybe try this X-5 with LPL Cooldown and MPL Range modules so the cooldowns sync up. 35% extra range on top of 15% -heat gen and 10% extra cooldown is pretty good; assuming my math isn't hosed up, you can get something like 319m optimal range on the MPLs and 493m on the LPL. Not bad. I dunno what your usual playstyle is like, but this kind of thing works for me.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 1, 2016

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Alpine was made as an answer to terrible grogs bitching that the maps weren't big enough. So they made alpine :shepface:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Alpine without the mountain would be a p. good map, and on Conquest this is most evident, but as of now it's p. bad

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

Alpine without the mountain would be a p. good map, and on Conquest this is most evident, but as of now it's p. bad

Then it would just be a loving arctic tundra with no cover and gently caress over anyone who isn't using Large Lasers or LRM's even harder :psyduck:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Finally got around to fixing up my GRF-2N, threw 4 SRM6+As on it and took it out for a spin.

I'm in love :love:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bolow posted:

Then it would just be a loving arctic tundra with no cover and gently caress over anyone who isn't using Large Lasers or LRM's even harder :psyduck:

Open spaces aren't a bad thing in and of themselves, you just need some cover to make it so long range weapons don't auto-gently caress people. Franky that map could be improved by blocking the mountain entirely, making it a large obstacle to get around (I dunno, maybe put a tunnel through it?) and tossing a few large boulders or buildings here or there.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Bolow posted:

no it wouldn't because it's got a lot of rolling hills that serve as cover. I'm talking specifically about Candy Mountain

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Keep Alpine Peak but replace the snow with lava instead, IMO.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Pattonesque posted:

no it wouldn't because it's got a lot of rolling hills that serve as cover. I'm talking specifically about Candy Mountain

You mean murder hill.

gently caress that mountain, whoever gets up there first usually has a huge advantage going on.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Pattonesque posted:

alpine is a legit good map on conquest and does bring something different to the game but try telling that to the pubbies who love using their lrms on the mountain

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

teepo posted:

alpine is a legit good map on conquest and does bring something different to the game but try telling that to the pubbies who love using their lrms on the mountain

alpine is also a good map on assault if you rush your light lance to the non-mountain base because the enemy literally cannot return fast enough to stop you if you take the long way around

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
I really want to do something stupid and dump some money on either the Resistance 2 Crab pack for Wolfhounds and Crabs (Not the sanest choice as I have 2 Wolfhounds and 1 Crab already but Cbill boost chassis! Sweet camo!) or a Marauder pack.

Not that many heavies really appeal and I grew up watching Robotech so all the Unseen poo poo showing up is like mech catnip.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

MisterFuzzles posted:

I really want to do something stupid and dump some money on either the Resistance 2 Crab pack for Wolfhounds and Crabs (Not the sanest choice as I have 2 Wolfhounds and 1 Crab already but Cbill boost chassis! Sweet camo!) or a Marauder pack.

Not that many heavies really appeal and I grew up watching Robotech so all the Unseen poo poo showing up is like mech catnip.

I've fallen in love with both the Wolfhound and the Crab, but you've missed the preorder bonuses that make it more worthwhile to invest so maybe wait for the next set to be announced? One of the unseen is probably a better idea, since they're still a long ways off from being available for cbills and they're cheap for heavies. Plus dumbass nerd nostalgia is a potent thing, I've got the Rifleman coming because of it (and in the hopes that the hero is quirked for the LBX). The Marauder seems like a really versatile machine, I've seen a lot of variety in their builds and most of them do pretty well.

e: those exosquad-branded destroid action figures have cost me a lot of money over the years between battletech and terrible robotech games

Sard fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 2, 2016

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Maraduers are actually legitimately good in actual gameplay. I'm not a huge fan of its redesign for MWO, but they're surprisingly tough to kill and pack a lot of firepower to boot. If you're crazy enough to spend money on this game right now, $20 on the Marauder pack isn't a terrible deal.

I'm waiting/hoping for the Phoenix Hawk because I have a two-part affliction; I'm addicted to Medium mechs and I have a terminal case of nerd nostalgia :saddowns:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm legitimately sad I missed the boat on Warhammer early adopter rewards, I just sort of can't justify the purchase without the bonuses.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm legitimately sad I missed the boat on Warhammer early adopter rewards, I just sort of can't justify the purchase without the bonuses.

:pgi: is bad at making money and doesn't understand that keeping those rewards past the "early adopter" period would increase the number sold dramatically.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's been happening with pretty much every recent package post-Wave 2, so either they have a consistently, terminally incompetent product manager, or the numbers show that the early adopter stuff actually works and is a deliberate choice.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Devorum posted:

:pgi: is bad at making money and doesn't understand that keeping those rewards past the "early adopter" period would increase the number sold dramatically.

It really would. Like, I'm never going to spend money on these packs (unless I come into way too much money) once the bonuses are gone because it's always going to be on my mind that I'm getting purposely worse value on them - continuing to display those rewards on the shop page for them just further reinforces this.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'll take this:

Over this:

Any time. :v:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Here's the Garbagecan (UM-R60L) build I found and currently use. In battle it tears into sides and butts, most people tend to ignore my poor little urb in favor of bigger dudes. But something tells me I should have used the AC/20 that comes equipped. The quirks favor both weapon types. Faster ACs or longer ranged lasers...

Thoughts?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

novaSphere posted:

It's been happening with pretty much every recent package post-Wave 2, so either they have a consistently, terminally incompetent product manager, or the numbers show that the early adopter stuff actually works and is a deliberate choice.

I think they just value the up-front cash (and they likely do have a good handle on how many early adopter orders they'll get) over potential increased sales after the early adopter period has ended.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Oh Snapple! posted:

I think they just value the up-front cash (and they likely do have a good handle on how many orders they'll get) over potential increased sales after the early adopter period has ended.

It's very deliberate with the ability to upgrade your order later. They preview this stuff months ahead of release, and offer a significant incentive to throw money at it now before people have had time to dissect the potential of the mechs and before the models are shown, in case the reaction to those is negative (see: Wolfhound, which looked terrible in the first showing thanks to the inept cameraman) or otherwise before other hype deflation occurs. People throw down :20bux: early on at this stage, and then after a few months they might throw down another 20 or 15 for the upgraded packages as PGI cashes in on a second wave of hype when they start showing off the nearly finished robots. We may not like it, but it's not a stupid approach at all.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'd mind it less if the early adopter period at least extended up until the mech actually goes live. I apparently missed the Warhammer period by months going by the Archer release date

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.

Sard posted:

I've fallen in love with both the Wolfhound and the Crab, but you've missed the preorder bonuses that make it more worthwhile to invest so maybe wait for the next set to be announced? One of the unseen is probably a better idea, since they're still a long ways off from being available for cbills and they're cheap for heavies. Plus dumbass nerd nostalgia is a potent thing, I've got the Rifleman coming because of it (and in the hopes that the hero is quirked for the LBX). The Marauder seems like a really versatile machine, I've seen a lot of variety in their builds and most of them do pretty well.

e: those exosquad-branded destroid action figures have cost me a lot of money over the years between battletech and terrible robotech games

Yea, I guess if I am going to do it the Marauder would be the better choice especially since I have a few of the mechs via C-bills from the Resistance pack. Not to mention I am starting to play with a group and I can get away with being a mediocre Light pilot in Tier 4 pub matches but not when facing even remotely organized opposing groups.

Nothing brings home my idiocy like thinking I am flanking some dudes only to turn a corner/poptart up a ridge and get swatted by 3 or so enemy mechs just waiting.

I love Lights. I like skirmishing/scouting/screening and having the mobility to be anywhere but I am no where near good enough to leverage it when facing anyone even slightly competent at robot shooting.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Maybe if we tweet Russ about it, he'll change his mind and I can own a Marauder without thinking about all the extras I missed out on.

It's me. I'm the one that's bad with money.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'll take this:

Over this:

Any time. :v:

I'll take what we got over the other Reseen art:

But I still like Alex' original Marauder doodle more:

Oh well.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

novaSphere posted:

I'll take what we got over the other Reseen art:

But I still like Alex' original Marauder doodle more:

Oh well.

Say what you will about PGI being stupid.. they certainly did a great job with the models in the game (except the nova)

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
So I came back to this game recently after being away for a long time and I found a random centurion ah(l) with a sweet custom paint job in my mech lab that I have no recollection of buying, anyways I decided to outfit it with some random poo poo off the top of my head and ended up with 3 srm6s /w Artemis and 3 machine guns. I thought it would be a kinda of funny joke build for a few matches but it's actually super fun and good. If I want to pursue something similar what would be some good options? I was looking at maybe the Griffins or stormcrows but I'm not 100% sure what the opinions on those mechs are.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

AtillatheBum posted:

So I came back to this game recently after being away for a long time and I found a random centurion ah(l) with a sweet custom paint job in my mech lab that I have no recollection of buying, anyways I decided to outfit it with some random poo poo off the top of my head and ended up with 3 srm6s /w Artemis and 3 machine guns. I thought it would be a kinda of funny joke build for a few matches but it's actually super fun and good. If I want to pursue something similar what would be some good options? I was looking at maybe the Griffins or stormcrows but I'm not 100% sure what the opinions on those mechs are.

both griffins and stormcrows can do hella SRM builds. Griffin-3M right now is the new hotness because of structure and missile quirks.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

AtillatheBum posted:

Missile Wolf

You will be a GOD in T4 T5

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

AtillatheBum posted:

The Centurion is there because you spent money on the game somewhen. I personally like mine without the MGs and use the extra weight for either a bigger engine or more ammunition/armour.

Stormcrows are as good as ever, though if you like the IS side Griffins are the new hot thing.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I'm halfway through tier 3, though I'm not sure if higher is better or worse. I'm assuming that's my matchmaking rating or whatever. Are the other centurions any good at using lots of srms? From what I remember they were kinda meh back when I played since they lost their big gun arm so easily.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I think the only Cents that seriously use their gun arm is the Cent-D (which has fantastic LB-X10 quirks), the Cent-AL, and the Yen-Lo-Wang. The meta for the others are usually SRMs, like the AH you have, with a pair of MLs in the CT to zombie if their missile side gets shot off. Don't fire the MLs when you can still fire missiles.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Considering it tells me to in the OP, could I get an invite to either GIRL or WoL? In-Game name is Stringbeanz. Thanks!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stringbean posted:

Considering it tells me to in the OP, could I get an invite to either GIRL or WoL? In-Game name is Stringbeanz. Thanks!

send me a friend invite, name ingame is same as here (that applies for anyone else who wants into WoL)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

both griffins and stormcrows can do hella SRM builds. Griffin-3M right now is the new hotness because of structure and missile quirks.

Griffin 3M was always good really and the SRM fixes just made it better.

But never overlook the 2N, 4x missile hardpoints and ECM :black101:

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Been having good times with the griffin-3m. With how turtlely pub games get, playing poptart with SRMs to the face have done pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Griffin 3M was always good really and the SRM fixes just made it better.

But never overlook the 2N, 4x missile hardpoints and ECM :black101:

I feel like it's the difference between the -S and the -D-DC on the Atlas side. More damage potential on one, more sneakiness on the other

both are hella good

• Locked thread