Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I try to keep as many dwarves idling as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I don't even see it as a matter of efficiency, I just enjoy it more. Each floor takes on a distinct purpose or character that just makes more sense to me. The fact that it's more efficient wasn't something I considered until much later.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I got yet another purple message. Political developments!

"After a polite discussion with local rivals, Thon Strickensnarled [an excellent name] has claimed the position of Guild Representative of the Matched Confederation." I think the confederation is a human civilization I've mostly lost contact with after I retired and then reclaimed Swordold. Thon is a dual citizen, actually, so this is kinda interesting.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Too me, the idea of trying to make Dwarf Fortress efficient is an exercise in futility.
My designs are, sadly, so efficient that even setting up a metal and clothing industry leaves me with 15 idlers from an adult population of 40.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I always have a bunch of idlers because I never assign useless migrant dwarves useful labors out of laziness.

The custom name system is really fun with the tavern and temple update. I could spend an hour just coming up with names for my locations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
minmaxing DF with CPU-shaped fortresses that AMD could put on a chip and sell

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So, "Dinnerfork, the Eternal Wonders of Pigs" ran into a slight problem at the very end of year two. A berserking wereape came to visit.

He was unimpressed with my twisty entranceway full of traps, and instead decided to mosey into my fort by running into the river and jumping up my fishing hole. The three stairs there go right down into the center of the fort.

Perhaps my room full of pigs will protect me!

He actually did get taken down by a group of dwarves in my food storage room, but not before killing about five others and injuring a few more.

Not two minutes after he died, I had this happen.

I think I need to learn how to control my dwarves a little better. They are rubberbanding trying to go outside/towards the goblins. I would rather they not be near it at all.

Edit: Aww poo poo.

Problems. We have problems!

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 2, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I am disgusted at all of you.
Also using the latest newbpack I cannot get it to toggle on workshop management. And I guess the other automation/performance things for cleaning up owned items)

You forgot the most important defense mechanism.

Always trap your fishing hole! if it is not trapped it is not safe!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pickled Tink posted:

My designs are, sadly, so efficient that even setting up a metal and clothing industry leaves me with 15 idlers from an adult population of 40.

That just means you don't have enough pointless vanity constructions going on :colbert:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Filthy Monkey posted:

He was unimpressed with my twisty entranceway full of traps, and instead decided to mosey into my fort by running into the river and jumping up my fishing hole. The three stairs there go right down into the center of the fort.
You should have placed grates across the water. Indestructible from below, they are certain to keep were-creatures outside the fortress, unless they can climb, fly, or jump in.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

My little structure there had a roof, so I assume it would have kept flyers and such out. I suppose grating is what I needed.

Would my weapon traps have worked on said werebeast? It has been a long time since I've played previously, so I am not 100% up to date on what works.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Can you catch the fish via grates though?
Or can the fish swim through grates

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Music Theory posted:

I try to keep as many dwarves idling as possible.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I get extremely upset when I see the little idler number sitting above zero for more than a few seconds. This is difficult when my fortress has over 120 dwarves in it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
100 idlers or death

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
This was my 42.03 fort:

I had so much bituminous coal it was coming out of my bituminous hole, plus an awful lot of magnetite, hematite, etc. It was a really nice start. It was also a terrifying biome and so I expected it to be hella spooky and threatening, and instead the map had zero units on it for 90% of the year. Occasionally there would be a chinchilla. I rate it one skull out of five on the bone rattle-o-meter.

Bedrooms and poo poo are one floor up. Long-term storage + offices and libraries are one floor down. Refuse and corpse piles are under the butcher and craft dwarf shops. I have 100 hens.

Here's a siege. I am going to switch to 42.04 now.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I picked up the latest Lazy Newb Pack just now, and I can't change labors in Therapist. I disabled autolabor in DFHack, restarted everything, still can't change them. I can, however, change labors manually in the game. Any suggestions?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

They accidentally uploaded next version of therapist. Download the older newb pack and grab the older DT from there.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

canepazzo posted:

They accidentally uploaded next version of therapist. Download the older newb pack and grab the older DT from there.

An older version was a pain in the dick to track down, but that fixed it. Thanks!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

modding@bay12 status:

quote:

I've been trying to make a race that can actually, excrete? No that mean sweating... you know. What women do when they breast feed, that. Milk, yes, milk. However I haven't been able to, what I'm looking for is for it to be used in adventure mode, I was thinking of using breathe fire as a template but I hasn't really worked out... Help?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sex is actually gross when you think about it.txt

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

God drat it, I make a new fort and I have a weretapir attack during the very first winter! I was still getting my defenses dug out. Why must my pig forts attract werebeasts?

This game is ending up more dangerous than I remember.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 2, 2016

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Because pig is tasty and delicious but pork-fed dwarves more so.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Most of the time, werebeasts are the first big hostiles to attack my forts. Sometimes they even strike before the local kobold thieves realize there's a new outpost.

Is there a dfhack plugin that lets you see whether eggs are fertile? I wanna know if I'm going to get a crocsplosion or just a bunch of rotten eggs.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

the docs sure say there is!!!!! try tweak/eggs-fertile

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Filthy Monkey posted:

My little structure there had a roof, so I assume it would have kept flyers and such out. I suppose grating is what I needed.

Would my weapon traps have worked on said werebeast? It has been a long time since I've played previously, so I am not 100% up to date on what works.

Traps work on werebeasts, thankfully. As vicious as they are all it takes is a cage trap.

Filthy Monkey posted:

I think I need to learn how to control my dwarves a little better. They are rubberbanding trying to go outside/towards the goblins. I would rather they not be near it at all.

Set up a safe home burrow and when invaders come you can go to the military screen and make all civilians drop what they're doing and go to the burrow and not leave until you give the all clear.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Erm, aren't roasts supposed to have four ingredients? How did this even happen.

It is worth 243075 dwarfbucks.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The world's biggest cupcake.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

Erm, aren't roasts supposed to have four ingredients? How did this even happen.

It is worth 243075 dwarfbucks.

Are you running burrows? The old artifact glitch happened when they'd still gather stuff from outside their designated area, but those wouldn't trip the "components delivered 2/3" meter so they'd just pile the poo poo on until they randomly got to things that'd satisfy it as "ready"

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I am not. I just have a couple of kitchens set to make meals on repeat. Not even doing anything weird with stockpiles giving to / taking from stuff or anything. That's not my only insane cupcake, just the biggest one.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

:argh: I hate DF cooking. I really wish there was some kind of recipe system e.g. flour + water = bread, plant + liquid + meat = stew, meat + salt (why isn't salt a thing in DF, anyway?) = jerky, etc.

Unfortunately Toady apparently lives off nothing but grocery store sandwiches and mountain dew so this will never happen.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
My weaponsmith keeps interrupting her task to try to seek out her ghostly baby.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Esme posted:

:argh: I hate DF cooking. I really wish there was some kind of recipe system e.g. flour + water = bread, plant + liquid + meat = stew, meat + salt (why isn't salt a thing in DF, anyway?) = jerky, etc.

Unfortunately Toady apparently lives off nothing but grocery store sandwiches and mountain dew so this will never happen.

Oh man, I kinda don't want to have to deal with a fort running out of salt, or whatever syndromes Toady would cook up for dwarves who consume too much salt, or dwarven diabetes for that matter.

My master trader suddenly started having breakdown after breakdown. After knocking down enough statues and punching the wrong dwarves, he got sentenced to a hammering. The hammerer punched his neck into paste in one strike. Now trader Stinthad rests in peace.

I really couldn't figure out what his deal was -- the trader complained that his life wasn't exciting and that he was lonely, but almost every member of his immediate family plus his grandparents all live in Swordold. One of his two children was dead, but the eldest and his wife were alive. When I did draft him into the military, he was mad about that too. In the end, the only solution was dwarven therapy, and unfortunately he didn't survive treatment.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Was he also your mayor or baron? If he was, ignoring thier mandates will quickly sink thier happiness.

I've gotten pretty lucky on that front, my mayor that I made baron just wants iron anvils. Lots and lots of iron anvils.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Carcer posted:

Was he also your mayor or baron? If he was, ignoring thier mandates will quickly sink thier happiness.

I've gotten pretty lucky on that front, my mayor that I made baron just wants iron anvils. Lots and lots of iron anvils.

No; he had a brief stint as broker, but never developed social skills, so I fired him. He never issued a mandate during that period. I've actually been lucky with mandates, too.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Esme posted:

Yeah. You wouldn't need anything too extensive, but roasts made entirely out of flour do give me a bit of a twinge.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Could you mod reaction raws to make new kinds of prepared food with those sort of requirements?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
my IRL job is sewer inspector and I'm hella disappointed that there is no dwarf fortress poop model. Imagine a communal toilet with a 'poo poo' fluid that you have to pipe out of the fortress or simply dump into the caverns below.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Could you mod reaction raws to make new kinds of prepared food with those sort of requirements?

You could. The kitchen has always accepted custom reactions. Just define your wanted food items like sausages or pies or scones or fine wines in item_food.txt and have your own cookery broilery reactions call those as the end results instead of being just variants for the basic jobs. GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT should let the reagents name the end products like normal, too.

You could even stick ITEM_REACTION_PRODUCT tokens in all sorts of meats and plants and other raw materials and just have a single "just make some goddamn grub" reaction. It'd randomly pick anything edible and it'd output bread or ribs or oatmeal depending on what the chef found that time.

The only real crimp is that the old basic reactions are still there, all bothersome like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I've just played this loving time vampire for the first time in like a year, and the first two books written after I got libraries working were "Meditations on Mating" and "Mating: Theories and Practice".

This is about par for what I expected in terms of new features.