Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

blackmarketlimb posted:

Do you have a link to this?

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/84919-valiant-vaccinated-edition/

Skillsaw put out a version with the custom stuff cut so it's gameplay mod compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Imo a lot of the custom content in Valiant was kinda obnoxious anyway, so the vanilla-ized version is my preference anyway, even if it is a touch easy.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

blackmarketlimb posted:

Reading the PB comments thread is a little depressing, though. It seems to have been highjacked by some super sperg admonishing people for not fixing the problems with PB themselves and a weird broken English guy who REALLY wants female zombies and a succubus enemy that kisses you before tearing you apart. Yikes.

Okay, not going to lie, the mental image that gave me is pretty horrible. Done right, that kind of thing can be the stuff of nightmares.

Ofc you know its only being proposed because its the guy's kink or something. :suicide:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzUzovxiIK4
You could set bosses to not end the map with Pallete 21, but unless you did a little .CON bugfixing, bosses other than the Battlelord would only have a single hit point.

Huh, I never knew that. Although to be fair I only ever learned anything in Build through pure trial and error so it's amazing I even managed to make any functional maps in the first place!

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005

Thyrork posted:

Okay, not going to lie, the mental image that gave me is pretty horrible. Done right, that kind of thing can be the stuff of nightmares.

Ofc you know its only being proposed because its the guy's kink or something. :suicide:

It could if you actually went with weird DOOM demon design. But yeah, this dude wants a really out of place sexy sprite instead of something terrifying.

Worringly, Painkiller announced he was spriting a flying zombie enemy for Brutality... here's hoping he sticks with Brutality's awesome pedigree instead of giving fan service to a weird Russian.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

blackmarketlimb posted:

It could if you actually went with weird DOOM demon design. But yeah, this dude wants a really out of place sexy sprite instead of something terrifying.

Worringly, Painkiller announced he was spriting a flying zombie enemy for Brutality... here's hoping he sticks with Brutality's awesome pedigree instead of giving fan service to a weird Russian.
Are you sure it's not some reference / joke to the mildly infamous Sirens?

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005

david_a posted:

Are you sure it's not some reference / joke to the mildly infamous Sirens?

The internet being the internet, yes. Yes I am.

I can backtrack through the comments to find his posts. Everyone pretty much ignored him but his thing was "female zombies with jiggly tits & succubus that gives you little kiss & carries you into air to mate & kill you".

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm pretty new to Doom modding, why is everyone so butthurt about the Brutal Doom guy?

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I think there was something racist found written in his mod. At one point he also wanted to include real brain matter, as in from real corpses found in car accident photos, into the mod as well. The other thing is an outcry from Doom 'purists' about how Brutal changes the gameplay. That part I don't get. It's a mod, so what if it changed things up? I love the BD mod, but I don't think anyone will deny the man behind it is a sick creep.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The purism complaint is a backlash against dipshits who think Brutal Doom is doom the way it's meant to be.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

fadam posted:

I'm pretty new to Doom modding, why is everyone so butthurt about the Brutal Doom guy?

Oh no, what have you dooooooooonnnnnnnne:byodood:

Flubby posted:

I think there was something racist found written in his mod. At one point he also wanted to include real brain matter, as in from real corpses found in car accident photos, into the mod as well. The other thing is an outcry from Doom 'purists' about how Brutal changes the gameplay. That part I don't get. It's a mod, so what if it changed things up? I love the BD mod, but I don't think anyone will deny the man behind it is a sick creep.

This is what soured everyone about the mod. Also, Sargent Mark IV is apparently a jerk. I dunno.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 2, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

fadam posted:

SgtMarkIV is the only modder in the Doom scene to get banned from Doomworld, ZDoom, 4chan (!), and all the other Doom community haunts. He's incredibly bigoted, a giant jerk, and possesses an astronomical-sized ego given the popularity of his mod. Mark is so abrasive that nobody in the community wants him around; consider the fact that Brutal Doom is the only Doom mod worth mentioning that's hosted on ModDB and not doomworld.com/idgames.

A lot of people (especially modders) dislike Brutal Doom as well given its fanbase, which consists of way too many people who consider Brutal Doom to be the alpha and omega of Doom modding, and expect every megawad and gameplay mod to work with it.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 2, 2016

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
I played DooM I & II as well with the EXPANSION MISSIONS. I can say with honesty inside my heart that Brutal Doom is more interesting to play. It seem like people dislike the mod not because it is bad but because of moral conflict ions, I can sympathize with this. Maybe he is like the artist that is misunderstood by society, he is not so kind, but his work so good? I think so.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Segmentation Fault posted:

SgtMarkIV is the only modder in the Doom scene to get banned from Doomworld, ZDoom, 4chan (!), and all the other Doom community haunts. He's incredibly bigoted, a giant jerk, and possesses an astronomical-sized ego given the popularity of his mod. Mark is so abrasive that nobody in the community wants him around; consider the fact that Brutal Doom is the only Doom mod worth mentioning that's hosted on ModDB and not doomworld.com/idgames.

A lot of people (especially modders) dislike Brutal Doom as well given its fanbase, which consists of way too many people who consider Brutal Doom to be the alpha and omega of Doom modding, and expect every megawad and gameplay mod to work with it.

The rest of your post is bang on, but the bolded is blatantly untrue only technically true in that most people don't go to ModDB, they just host it on some poo poo free site.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 2, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
What other Doom mods worth mentioning are hosted on ModDB but not hosted on Doomworld?

e: This is a serious question actually :shobon:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RyokoTK posted:

What other Doom mods worth mentioning are hosted on ModDB but not hosted on Doomworld?

e: This is a serious question actually :shobon:

I edited my statement, I'm not sure there are any particularly good mods on ModDB. There are many zdoom mods that don't get posted on idgames though, largely because they never really leave development.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

SgtMarkIV is the only modder in the Doom scene to get banned from Doomworld
This is blatantly false. He last posted on the DW forums, like, today.

consider the fact that Brutal Doom is the only Doom mod worth mentioning that's hosted on ModDB and not doomworld.com/idgames.
This is because Sgt Mark never uploaded it to the idgames archive, and it would probably be rejected for copyrighted content if he tried.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Here is a cool thing from moddb: the cacoward winning wads (and runner ups) from 2004-2013 in a single file.

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom/downloads/cacoawards-2004-2013-top-100

Totally not supposed to be doing this if you care about the file permissions that specify idgames only, but...

e: and the Doomworld top wads are bundled too

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom/downloads/doomworld-1994-2003-top-100

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Linguica posted:

This is blatantly false. He last posted on the DW forums, like, today.

This is because Sgt Mark never uploaded it to the idgames archive, and it would probably be rejected for copyrighted content if he tried.

Jordan7hm posted:

The rest of your post is bang on, but the bolded is blatantly untrue only technically true in that most people don't go to ModDB, they just host it on some poo poo free site.

I was under the impression that he was banned from Doomworld. My bad.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
My biggest beef with brutal doom is the overshadowing effect it has by its fans and games media. Its not the only good mod, there are so many good mods for doom holy poo poo.

Demonsteele, Project MSX, Psychic, Guncaster, Samsara... hell I like Project Brutalility so much more then Brutal Doom, an addon within an addon!

This is just the regularly discussed stuff that crops up here. Brutal Doom is not the only really awesome expression of how great Doom a game is, so when fans of it toot that its "doomier then doom", it does get under my skin. Certainly not its own fault, you know, fans ruin everything and all that.

But to be clear, play all of the mods is what I'm getting at. Don't let any of them in paritcular eclipse trying others! Its a world of choice out there sunshine!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Thyrork posted:

play all of the mods

Follow this advice.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Thyrork posted:

I like Project Brutalility so much more then Brutal Doom, an addon within an addon!

Ditto. It's better balanced and optimized for starters. It absolutely wouldn't have been possible without the framework that Brutal Doom established, but BD also contains a lot of elements from other modders and let's face it - the Doom modding scene is one great big shared pile of resources.

So play all the mods! And don't obsess over one, positively or negatively. There's enough to play to last everyone effectively forever.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I rewrote Quake II's monster targeting logic to search all entities for valid targets instead of just clients. I also added friendly and neutral factions. Enemy monsters (the default) will attack friendly monsters and vice versa, while neutral monsters (like the insane marines) will ignore and be ignored by everyone. The logic is almost entirely unchanged except that I still need to add in monsters being woken up by seeing allied monsters wake up. Also, monsters don't create sound entities meaning monsters (enemy and friendly) will be deaf to monsters. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with fixing that because it could result in a huge number of entities being created.

I also added friendly marines with shotguns and 8 skin choices. They're not perfect but they fight monsters just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tHSm_yuhRI

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What are some good coop map packs for Doom 2?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dominic White posted:

So play all the mods! And don't obsess over one, positively or negatively. There's enough to play to last everyone effectively forever.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to stop my love affair triangle with Demonsteele and Reelism. :colbert:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yep, that's pretty much the nail on the head. Brutal Doom isn't a bad mod, but seeing every Doom discussion on, say, NeoGAF inevitably veer towards "hey if you haven't used Brutal Doom yet, you absolutely have to; only way to play" is getting ludicrously tiresome.

...although the last such thread that I caught actually suggested Project Brutality instead, soooo...?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

...although the last such thread that I caught actually suggested Project Brutality instead, soooo...?

It's really a direct upgrade in almost every way. You can play it as pretty much straight BDv20 if you want (albeit with slightly tighter balance), but there's like a million different toggles and sliders to customize it. It's exactly as brutal as you want it to be.

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
Project Brutality should be considered completely separate from Brutal Doom at this point. It's such a better game experience, and feels much more like an extension of "true" Doom to the point where there's a traditional mode within the mod that has amazing sprite work and updates the vanilla Doom feel.

Has anyone tried The Trailblazer? It's kind of a sister mod to Accessories to Murder and it's an absolute riot to play. Creating a hurricane of machetes with a berserk pack never gets old.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

blackmarketlimb posted:

Project Brutality should be considered completely separate from Brutal Doom at this point. It's such a better game experience, and feels much more like an extension of "true" Doom to the point where there's a traditional mode within the mod that has amazing sprite work and updates the vanilla Doom feel.

That classic mode started out in BDv20. Don't get me wrong here - Project Brutality owns all the bones and adds SO much to the mix, but its foundation is That Mod Y'all Hate.

It changes the gameplay far more from Classic Doom, too. Ceiling-crawling imps, railgun revenants and a half-dozen flavours of pain elemental? They're all pretty well balanced too, but it overhauls the gameplay and then some if you turn everything on.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 2, 2016

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005

Dominic White posted:

That classic mode started out in BDv20. Don't get me wrong here - Project Brutality owns all the bones and adds SO much to the mix, but its foundation is That Mod Y'all Hate.

It changes the gameplay far more from Classic Doom, too. Ceiling-crawling imps, railgun revenants and a half-dozen flavours of pain elemental? They're all pretty well balanced too, but it overhauls the gameplay and then some if you turn everything on.

Did it? Huh, TIL.

Allow me to clarify, though: I don't hate Brutal Doom, it's just kind of a one trick pony. The reason so many people love it is because of the kinetic energy - it's like Hotline Miami in FPS form. But it never really DOES anything with that momentum. I played the new BD version today and something felt off and kinda dull about it, so I reloaded the same map I was playing with Brutality and it kinda hit me why: there's a ton of crazy poo poo heading at you in PB and it emulates that tension of playing Doom for the first time and not knowing what crazy firefight to expect next. It sets a pace and it sometimes leaves you breathless when you've managed to survive a room full of Hell Knights that can charge you across the map, Revenants with line guns, and a Caco Overlord. It's not just the monsters and new toys that make PB special; it's the fact that it knows what to do with itself and doesn't just flag off after awhile.

That's why I think PB is more in the spirit of Doom than BD is. BD is like a cousin but PB is a direct descendant. They share the same DNA and couldn't exist without it, that much is true, but one has become something totally different than the other in the process.

Also a lot of the dorky edgelord poo poo can be turned off in PB and that's really why I prefer it. Jay's Brutal Doom is another BD fork that's really fun for the same reasons PB is.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
SgtMark being a piece of poo poo racist notwithstanding, gently caress him for Map06. You know what every Doom map doesn't need? Two chaingunners popping out of a closet behind you every fifteen seconds.

But it does explain why Revenants have those robot diapers on. Evidently all they do is fight and poop.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 2, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Wild T posted:

SgtMark being a piece of poo poo racist notwithstanding, gently caress him for Map06. You know what every Doom map doesn't need? Two chaingunners popping out of a closet behind you every fifteen seconds.

But it does explain why Revenants have those robot diapers on. Evidently all they do is fight and poop.

So they're like Vikings except they fight and poop instead of fight and eat. Good to know.

Edit: In regards to Vikings in Valhalla, that is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, I have to really check out PB now, thanks for that write up. I've played through Doom with BD a few times, and usually had a good time, but your points are valid. I would like to defend the people saying "BD is what Doom should be / was always meant to be"; while I don't necessarily agree with that now, I remember thinking that first, and it really came down to how our tastes have all changed over the years. I mean, when Doom came out, it was revolutionary, not only in technical execution, but in terms of content and violence.

Today, however, in order for a game to be legitimately referred to as "an ultra-violent, terrifying, bloody adventure", for better or for worse, you really would need a game like Hotline Miami, Brutal Doom, or (dare I say) Hatred. Boundaries have been pushed, ironically enough because of the original Doom, and the words we used for Doom then apply more to BD now.

But, like I originally said, I don't necessarily agree with the actual feeling that BD is "Doomier than Doom"; I can just see how some would draw that conclusion.

Also, it goes extremely well with Going Down. It feels as if those were made for each other. Demonsteele is still my favourite mod, though, and I can't wait to try the new update! :toot:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Finally getting around to playing Sun, she's pretty coo'.

Terminus made a video on all her combos. It's a shame the hookshot isn't more practical.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Wamdoodle posted:

So they're like Vikings except they fight and poop instead of fight and eat. Good to know.

Edit: In regards to Vikings in Valhalla, that is.

Evidently they enjoy showering, too. Which I suppose rules out the Viking hypothesis.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

If i start BD with freedoom instead of doom2.wad, what levels am i playing? Are they Sgtmarks episodes or ? I never played freedoom before

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Humans Among Us posted:

If i start BD with freedoom instead of doom2.wad, what levels am i playing? Are they Sgtmarks episodes or ? I never played freedoom before

If you're using the Starter Pack, then yeah, it's just using the Freedoom assets in place of classic Doom ones. Check out the config file and remove the Autoloaded map pack if you want vanilla Freedoom levels, although they're not that hot.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is there any particular reason to use freedoom instead of a proper iwad?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pope Guilty posted:

Is there any particular reason to use freedoom instead of a proper iwad?

1) Because you're aiming to sell a game running on the DOOM engine, but don't hae the time to cover over all assets - you may use FREEDOOM's IWAD to fill out all the stuff your new game didn't need new things for.

2) Because you haven't bought a DOOM game, but still feel like you really need to give Zenimax money if you're going to get the real Doom IWADs, so you play modern maps with FREEDOOM.

3) There's like a few dozen WADs out there that actually look best with Freedoom's texture set, so with real Doom IWADs they look worse (though many of them include all the freedoom textures they want in the wad anyway, making it a moot point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
One thing I really enjoy about Brutal Doom is that the feature-bloat is so extensive that every now-and-then you'll run into interactions/behaviors that you entirely forgot were added to the game.

Case in point: Barons of Hell placed next to barrels turn the level into an impromptu game of Donkey Kong. That was a genuine surprise when it first happened.