Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

And they fail a lot. IIRC, steam catapults fail at a rate of 1/1000 and the new magnetic catapults are like 1/70. Par for the course for a new technology, but it doesn't make me feel all that good about the new Jerry-class carriers.

At least they probably won't catch on fire on a daily basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CMD598 posted:

At least they probably won't catch on fire on a daily basis.

this is China we're talking about

e- oh wait no it's not, but just remember this is the US we're talking about

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Munnin The Crab posted:

As far as I understand it, to generate the all the steam required for a steam catapult you pretty much need a nuclear reactor. And electromagnetic catapults are super new and mindbogglingly expensive.

Essex-refits had steam catapults, replacing the ubiquitous WWII hydraulic units.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Not only that, but out of the first nine US supercarriers, eight were conventionally powered.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah but a catapult with a conventional powerplant is going to need a larger engineering crew, and we all know China has a huge manpower shortage.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
poorly made and operated steam things are not something i would want to be around

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

ArchangeI posted:

the funny thing is that some people are arguing that the Chinese have looked at steam catapults, decided that they were way too complicated, and decided to go with electromagnetic instead, essentially skipping steam catapults to go from ski jump to EMC.

I see no problems with this and expect it to work out great for the PLAN.

could this be because of all the hacking the chinese government does?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDXmntpCbao

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

im glad were spending tax dollars "training" these idiots

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

im glad were spending tax dollars "training" these idiots

I thought the same thing at Fort Benning.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

at the date posted:

:golfclap:

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Well nobody died during training today! licks finger, puts a giant 1 on the chalkboard

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Koesj posted:

Not only that, but out of the first nine US supercarriers, eight were conventionally powered.

By giant boilers and steam turbines, right? Not the typical apartment-block sized diesels powering today's superfrieighters that don't make any steam?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Steam is helpful for driving catapults.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

at the date posted:

nice

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Great breakdown of WWII Armour myths by an expert and former tanker.

Points that stood out to me: Shermans were pretty good and only burned because the Germans kept shooting them after bailouts so they couldn't be repaired.

American TD doctrine was not as bad as made out to be.

American tanks only engaged in Tiger duels 3 times.

It did not take 5 US tanks to bag a Panther or Tiger.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bNjp_4jY8pY

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The only reason anyone thinks the Sherman was a poo poo tank was because some POG rear end bitch wrote a book on how he was always patching up holes in Shermans

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Bolow posted:

The only reason anyone thinks the Sherman was a poo poo tank was because some POG rear end bitch wrote a book on how he was always patching up holes in Shermans

"I'm just saying, I saw a lot of shot up tanks as well as tanks that broke down, clearly these things sucked."

*works in a tank repair shop*

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, the Ask Us About Military History thread goes over WW2 tanks fairly often. The Sherman wasn't perfect, but it was reliable and did its job very well. The Ronson "Lights up ever time!" slogan only saw rare usage on a few ads around 1927 and 1950, so that nickname's a straight up falsehood. I've heard it attributed to their use of gasoline engines, but the Germans used gasoline too and nobody tried to call them Ronsons. The Shermans fixed up their problems with burning pretty quickly with the introduction of wet ammo storage, and even then they had excellent crew survivability.

On the other hand, the Tiger and Panther were both shitheaps of bad engineering that were nowhere near as powerful or invulnerable as people like to make out. The biggest problem they had in terms of armor was bad hardening and materials causing the armor to crack on impact, which created a fuckton of spalling and rapidly reduced the armor's durability (as well as being very difficult to repair). The Tiger's armor looks cool on paper, but in practice it was pretty normal for T-34s and the like to kill them as long as the Russians were using smart tactics.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

For a Soviet perspective on the Sherman you really should read Dmitriy Loza's memoirs "Commanding the Red Army's Sherman Tanks

He did a brief interview awhile back and you can find his memoirs online pretty easily

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Going to shamelessly plug a friend's site here: http://www.theshermantank.com

Should be relevant to a few people's interests.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Frosted Flake posted:

Points that stood out to me: Shermans were pretty good and only burned because the Germans kept shooting them after bailouts so they couldn't be repaired.

I think I've seen this one before and there's actually a whole shitton of other myths that he doesn't cover, like the Blitzkrieg being a specific doctrine the Nazis came up with, or the Tiger being anything other than a ill-devised, undermotorised shitbox with an extremely efficient gun. It's kinda weird that Discovery Channel fearsome-nazis-type of "documentaries" are what has been shaping popular knowledge for ages now and it take a tank video game company to throw money at a bunch of guys to plow through every archive ever to come up with findings that oppose those of the most popular and most-cited books about the period.

Also, the guy's kinda funny.

"You were not going to open he firefight unless you were in a position of advantage to begin with. Once you do get the first shot off, you are usually calm and collected, while the guy on the receiving end is having a significant emotional event. So his return shot is likely rushed and hurried and will miss anyway."

/welp, beaten

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 1, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You see it often with small arms too.

The rate of fire and range of the SVT didn't do the Soviets a lot of good when they were using bad tactics.

Likewise the M1 didn't help anyone too much at the Kasserine Pass.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I think I've seen this one before and there's actually a whole shitton of other myths that he doesn't cover, like the Blitzkrieg being a specific doctrine the Nazis came up with, or the Tiger being anything other than a ill-devised, undermotorised shitbox with an extremely efficient gun. It's kinda weird that Discovery Channel fearsome-nazis-type of "documentaries" are what has been shaping popular knowledge for ages now and it take a tank video game company to throw money at a bunch of guys to plow through every archive ever to come up with findings that oppose those of the most popular and most-cited books about the period.

Also, the guy's kinda funny.

"You were not going to open he firefight unless you were in a position of advantage to begin with. Once you do get the first shot off, you are usually calm and collected, while the guy on the receiving end is having a significant emotional event. So his return shot is likely rushed and hurried and will miss anyway."

/welp, beaten

The Tiger had a nice gun, but even then it wasn't mythical like Wehraboos love to think. According to the Tiger's own manual, the effective combat range of the tank was about the same as its opponents and it could be penetrated from those distances as well.

The Panther had its own problems, like the lovely final drive (designed for the original 30 ton design before the Panther's weight ballooned and with gears designed for a light car instead of a heavy armored vehicle to save money) disintegrating after only 150 km on average, the heavy gun falling backwards when driving uphill, the turret traverse speed being very slow on early tanks and tied to the engine RPM on later tanks, the lovely engine easily leaking and catching fire at random times, and the gunner lacking any way to see outside except a magnified gun sight (French testing found it took something like 30 to 45 seconds on average for a commander to direct the gunner onto a target, making the Panther extremely vulnerable when it wasn't firing at a prepared ambush position). Combine that with a crappy HE round so the Panther can't even effectively support infantry against non-tank targets, and there's good reason the Tiger and Panther were tossed aside after the war while Panzer IVs and StuGs carried on all the way into the late 1960s in third-world front line combat.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The French used Panthers briefly, and were expressly forbidden from turning when driving in reverse because it would mulch the gearbox instantly

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bolow posted:

The French used Panthers briefly, and were expressly forbidden from turning when driving in reverse because it would mulch the gearbox instantly

They were also forbidden from trying to neutral steer (spin in place) for a similar reason.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

the funny thing is that some people are arguing that the Chinese have looked at steam catapults, decided that they were way too complicated, and decided to go with electromagnetic instead, essentially skipping steam catapults to go from ski jump to EMC.

I see no problems with this and expect it to work out great for the PLAN.

Of course it will, they're just going to steal the designs from us when some mouthbreather picks up a random USB stick and plugs it into his computer.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Once, at a conference, I made a presentation. The person following me was from the ATF going over the latest regs and, of course, they couldn't get their computer to work with the projector so I kindly offered to do it over laptop since I'd just used it and it had worked fine. The instant I plug this guy's USB stick into my computer my anti-virus pops up and lets me know the stick is brimming with bugs. Lovely. Doing the best I could I quickly quarantined everything and opened the presentation.

When I got home I nuked that fucker flat. But hey, good job ATF guy!

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

Frosted Flake posted:

That was really interesting, thanks for posting this. The comments are a treat to read as well where people are offended that his information doesn't match their precious wiki pedia.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

go3 posted:

poorly made and operated steam things are not something i would want to be around

No worries plenty of sailors where those came from

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Scratch Monkey posted:

No worries plenty of sailors where those came from

well like the man said

Godholio posted:

and we all know China has a huge manpower shortage.

lol

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Edgar posted:

That was really interesting, thanks for posting this. The comments are a treat to read as well where people are offended that his information doesn't match their precious wiki pedia.

i dunno i have a hard time believing that there were only 3 "duels" between american tanks and the 200 tigers in the western european sector from d-day to v-e day

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

i dunno i have a hard time believing that there were only 3 "duels" between american tanks and the 200 tigers in the western european sector from d-day to v-e day

Probably not when you factor in "down for maintenance" and "out of gas" maybe?

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

I think most were deployed againts the Brit/Canadian sector (where Michael Wittmann was killed in his Tiger). But yeah, I agree with most of what he says but he's basing too much off the scant reported records alone imo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arrath posted:

Once, at a conference, I made a presentation. The person following me was from the ATF going over the latest regs and, of course, they couldn't get their computer to work with the projector so I kindly offered to do it over laptop since I'd just used it and it had worked fine. The instant I plug this guy's USB stick into my computer my anti-virus pops up and lets me know the stick is brimming with bugs. Lovely. Doing the best I could I quickly quarantined everything and opened the presentation.

When I got home I nuked that fucker flat. But hey, good job ATF guy!

Being the ATF, it's a good thing you didn't let him plug it in for you. He'd try to force it in backwards.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah all that info goes against everything I and probably most thought they knew. It is funny how Americans have this weird boner for Nazi poo poo and everything they did and built was superior. Guess it's kind of the history channels fault for being ww2/hitler channel from what 1999-2005 before it became ghost stories or UFOs or whatever the gently caress they show

Bit torn on blitzkrieg and whether it was an actual thing or just a farce officers made up when they got steam rolled by Germans that somehow stuck

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Wasn't one of the things about the Shermans the armor, or German shells? I recall reading or seeing on TV something about how a Sherman might take a round, but it'd probably go right on through. As such, you had a pretty good chance to escape a wrecked Sherman, whereas in a Panther or Tiger if it got hit you'd have a much greater chance of it going in, but then bouncing around inside and taking everyone out.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

VikingSkull posted:

Wasn't one of the things about the Shermans the armor, or German shells? I recall reading or seeing on TV something about how a Sherman might take a round, but it'd probably go right on through. As such, you had a pretty good chance to escape a wrecked Sherman, whereas in a Panther or Tiger if it got hit you'd have a much greater chance of it going in, but then bouncing around inside and taking everyone out.

Oh so like how a .22 is an assassin's caliber because the bullet doesn't have enough energy to exit the skull so it just bounces around inside and scrambles your brain.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Internet Wizard posted:

Oh so like how a .22 is an assassin's caliber because the bullet doesn't have enough energy to exit the skull so it just bounces around inside and scrambles your brain.

I, too, saw My Blue Heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Internet Wizard posted:

to be fair it might have been the fat guy in glasses on the Military Channel that said it

• Locked thread