Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Boat posted:

I'm betting this is a lot of the reason why they're catching fire. Designed as a toy to just fart around in your house, driving to the store and back is putting a huge sustained draw on those batteries/motors and they're really not up to the task.
It was "designed" to blitz though production in time for Christmas season. Nobody gave a gently caress as to what people wold do with it.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Boat posted:

I'm betting this is a lot of the reason why they're catching fire. Designed as a toy to just fart around in your house, driving to the store and back is putting a huge sustained draw on those batteries/motors and they're really not up to the task.

They're pricey toys so a lot of people opted for cheaper Chinese knock-offs.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Wanamingo posted:

Gallagher's a jackass, though.

I never really admitted this to anyone but my Dad took me to a Gallagher show once and we had upper stadium seatings, before the show Gallagher would show up from the back and walk on top of all the chairs with a bear in his hand or something and he was in front of me and I'm like.

I could kill Gallagher now

I didn't want to but I had the opportunity

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

sad_trombone.jpg

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Now -this- is the content I came for

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So I woke up this morning and had pinched a nerve in my calf during my sleep. I put deep heat on it and have an itchy nose, which I scratch because I think I have wiped off all the cream from my hand. Spoiler alert, I didn't so now the only thing I can smell is menthol and I can't feel my nose.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
At least you didn't scratch your bell end/sack

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Bit of a crosspost from the Hateful Eight thread; figured I'd post it here

I'm getting so much freude from the 70mm showings of the film. Screw ups were notable, and even if they weren't loving up, the dudes who have to run the thing(s) were putting out fires left-and-right just to avoid even more failures. This is why the industry started abandoning film and going to digital, folks!

(Not to mention that, having seen it both in 70mm and digital, the difference is the filmic incarnation of "this expensive HDMI cable makes things better" or "Vinyl is so much warmer")

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Timelapse of NYE celebrations somewhere. :stonklol:

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

AlphaKretin posted:

Timelapse of NYE celebrations somewhere. :stonklol:

That happened in my town once when the planners had the brilliant idea to set up the fireworks on a top of a bunch of very dry kudzu.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They launch fireworks from the top of a dry brush hill every 4th of July in my hometown and it catches fire every single year.

quote:

Rising 1,337 feet above sea level, Mt. Rubidoux in the city of Riverside may very well be the world’s tallest Roman candle.

For at least 50 years every Fourth of July, Riverside City Hall has staged spectacular displays of fireworks above Mt. Rubidoux, an outcropping of weathered granite and brush near downtown. The event is advertised in the local press as a safe and fun alternative to private fireworks displays, which are illegal anyway. And just about every year from the time the tradition began, an errant spark or early detonation of one of those skyrockets sets Mt. Rubidoux on fire.

This past Independence Day, the first skyrocket went up at 9PM and the hill caught fire at about 9:01PM. After dousing what proved to be two separate spot blazes ignited by that single rocket, city fire officials gave the green light for the show to resume. It did, and the hill promptly caught fire a third time.

“I wouldn’t say it’s a joke among firefighters—we take it very seriously—but it does seem to be a tradition among residents to come out and watch Mt. Rubidoux burn,” says Riverside Fire Battalion Chief William Stamper. “If doesn’t light up, they’re kind of disappointed. On the other hand, the fireworks display is very impressive. Sometimes, when the hill catches fire, it’s an added show.”

Stamper and others point out that City Hall has gone to great lengths to keep the mountain from catching fire. The skyrockets were adjusted to detonate higher in the air than previously, and city crews regularly clear dry brush and erect fire lines. But what the city hasn’t done is discontinue the annual practice of detonating hundreds of pounds of sparkly explosives above the tinder-dry mountain. And so, every year like clockwork, the big rock goes up in flames.

Like the swallows returning to San Juan Capistrano, the burning of Mt. Rubidoux has become an event around which many Riversiders plan their July 4 activities. They barbecue or picnic during the day, make that last booze run around 6PM, and sometime after 8:30PM set up lawn chairs in their front- or backyards (the hill can be seen from most areas of the city) and wait for the mountain to ignite.

http://ieweekly.com/2008/07/news-stories-2/news-stories/awesome-riversides-annual-burning-of-mt-rubidoux/

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

This is some Red Green poo poo, man. Straight-up comedy.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
The china hutch didn't fall on her, 1/10

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FCKGW posted:

They launch fireworks from the top of a dry brush hill every 4th of July in my hometown and it catches fire every single year.

http://ieweekly.com/2008/07/news-stories-2/news-stories/awesome-riversides-annual-burning-of-mt-rubidoux/

Why not make this part of the tradition? Forget about tryint to stop it, just make sure the fire has to risk of spreading to the township, and burn that motherfucker.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Testekill posted:

So I woke up this morning and had pinched a nerve in my calf during my sleep. I put deep heat on it and have an itchy nose, which I scratch because I think I have wiped off all the cream from my hand. Spoiler alert, I didn't so now the only thing I can smell is menthol and I can't feel my nose.

A similar schadenfreude was me last night. Right in the beginning of sex, I suddenly got a gigantic cramp in my calf and collapsed off my girlfriend like I got tased.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
What the hell was she doing to your calf, chiropractic realignment?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WarpedNaba posted:

What the hell was she doing to your calf, chiropractic realignment?

It was just a random cramp as I moved into position. I shifted my legs and bam, my lower leg painfully locks up. No good reason for it.

She did find it kinda funny, though.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Bit of a crosspost from the Hateful Eight thread; figured I'd post it here

I'm getting so much freude from the 70mm showings of the film. Screw ups were notable, and even if they weren't loving up, the dudes who have to run the thing(s) were putting out fires left-and-right just to avoid even more failures. This is why the industry started abandoning film and going to digital, folks!

(Not to mention that, having seen it both in 70mm and digital, the difference is the filmic incarnation of "this expensive HDMI cable makes things better" or "Vinyl is so much warmer")

I think it's kinda cool.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's a nice sentiment to do a 70mm roadshow but after driving halfway across the state for a (frankly) mediocre flick with no discernible benefit from the 70mm, it is p. freude to hear how much of a clusterfuck it's been.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MisterBibs posted:

This is why the industry started abandoning film and going to digital, folks!

The industry abandoned film because digital is cheaper on the production end, and the studios told theaters that they had to go digital or they could gently caress off.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.

This one is better with sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq9bZbJIGQU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ini1EWqTgd4

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
A cross-post from our helpful correspondents in the Book Barn:

Hedrigall posted:

For those of you who don't wade into the mire of the GRRM thread,

"George R. R. Martin posted:

Here it is, the first of January. The book is not done, not delivered. No words can change that. I tried, I promise you. I failed. I blew the Halloween deadline, and I've now blown the end of the year deadline. And that almost certainly means that no, THE WINDS OF WINTER will not be published before the sixth season of GAME OF THRONES premieres in April.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/465247.html

A lot of fantasy fans are gonna be mad because fat man couldn't write words fast enough. Now, the television show is outstripping the source material somehow.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Is a war head very sour?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Jippa posted:

Is a war head very sour?

Yeah, this is their logo:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Jippa posted:

Is a war head very sour?

You know how your mouth will start to water when you're eating anything sour?

A warhead is the kind of candy that once you've had one, simply thinking of a warhead candy is enough to make your mouth start watering.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

pik_d posted:

Yeah, this is their logo:

I see thanks. It's weird how your face reacts to a certain taste the same way.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jippa posted:

Is a war head very sour?

Yes, actually. They're one of the few candies that don't gently caress around. The Dutch have their ammonia licorice, the Mexicans have their salt candy, the Vietnamese have their Durian candy, and the Americans have sour warheads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6_U4WpZPLU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Velocity Raptor posted:

You know how your mouth will start to water when you're eating anything sour?

A warhead is the kind of candy that once you've had one, simply thinking of a warhead candy is enough to make your mouth start watering.

Watching the reactions of the kids is making my mouth water in memory, and I've only eaten one Warhead in my life, about ten years ago.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
If you manage to power through the sourness, Warheads actually get pretty delicious. I remember Black Cherry having the biggest sweetness payoff in regards to its sourness.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

After working in a sweet shop I can say Warheads are a poor second compared to Barnett's Mega Sours. Loved giving customers free samples of them, just to see the reactions.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I like the German girl who was just like "Ok, this is good".

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Rough Lobster posted:

If you manage to power through the sourness, Warheads actually get pretty delicious. I remember Black Cherry having the biggest sweetness payoff in regards to its sourness.

You know that morality quote about how we wouldn't appreciate comfort if there weren't suffering?

Warheads are that, in candy form.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:stare:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

They don't seem to even slow down as it comes.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Wanamingo posted:

...the Mexicans have their salt candy...

It's not just salty, they also put chili powder on it. Imagine being 8 years old on a hot summer day and the ice cream truck comes, so you buy a Mexican mango popsicle, only to discover that it burns your mouth as much as the hot cement burns your feet.

Also, I hate people who don't clear off their cars and drive on the highway, so thanks for the gif confirming my feelings.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I wonder what that is. It looks like styrofoam, but styrofoam wouldn't have nearly enough mass to crack a windshield, and snow wouldn't hold together that well, would it?