Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I'm about five episodes into Broadchurch. Sometimes Tennant's accent is too thick to parse, but it's way addicting! And I love the song at the end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

My roommate started watching it the other day, I caught the majority of episodes 2 and 3 and I want to kill myself with how depressing it is. gently caress everyone involved with the investigation. Maybe my option will change as I watch more but right now, god drat is it heavy and horrible.

No this is the problem with the series because its real, its so extremely overwhelmingly hosed up that it makes you want to personally burn the entire state of Wisconsin to the ground.

But its also what makes it so good.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

WarLocke posted:

"I kept my word. They've been reunited." Holy poo poo Batiatus you incredible bastard. :smugissar:

And the actress that plays Mira is the hottest woman on the planet, I swear.

e: Oh dear sweet lord I just realized I've now seen Katrina Law full frontal :magical:

Please give us regular updates while you watch, like you did in the PoI thread. They're a joy to read :allears:

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

The casting is terrible.

I take that back. Bruce Campbell as Ronald Reagan is glorious.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The Norwegian series Occupied about a Russian invasion has had some angry reactions from Moscow so I had to see what the fuss was all about. The premise is that in na future without NATO (the US having gone isolationist) after a hurricane casued by global warming killed a thousand Norwegians a party had come into power promising to stop fossil fuel extraction and switch to thorium reactors. But with Middle East oil production destroyed by conflict the European Union demands the Norwegians keep producing oil and gas and have the Russians stage one of their non-invasion invasions with Little Green Men, getting a pretty prompt surrender to their terms of 10 more years of oil production. Everything starts spinning out of control soon and a resistance movement (which may or may not be Russians escalating things) starts sabotaging oil fields and killing Russians, threatening all out war.

It appears more gripping then it actually is with a lot of time spent setting up and then defusing various situations that threaten escalations and an odd setup where a lot of episodes starts some time after the previous ended and important things have happened in between. Towards the end poo poo starts getting real though and I really hope there will be another season. Hopefully with some better actors, the main leads of the Norwegion PM and one of his bodyguards were not very compelling, the only real standout in the cast was Ingeborga Dapkunaite as the Russian ambassador/viceroy. I also wonder if the EU will still subsidize another season as they did this one, they come out as the biggest jerks in the storyline.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh wow, everybody go watch Making a Murderer on Netflix its soo good. Some serious real-life true story Law & Order, all documentary footage from real news shows and stuff, no re-enactments, but all really polished and presented like a dramatic TV series. Fantastic.

I binged through that a week or so ago and I really enjoyed it. It's all the fun parts of a murder trial with the hours of technical detail filler in real trials skimmed over. I found myself wondering if he actually did it and I'm still not 100% sure. The only things I can confidently say are: the nephew is an idiot who should have never been allowed to talk to the police alone (also the way he says "yeahhh?" all the time drove me nuts), and if Steven really did do it he's just as stupid.

I really liked how it wasn't just a bunch of reenactments so you can actually try and draw your own conclusions from what the people say rather than just taking the view the showmakers want you to have (although there is definitely a "maybe he didn't do it" slant to how things are presented).

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 2, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

richardfun posted:

Please give us regular updates while you watch, like you did in the PoI thread. They're a joy to read :allears:

In here? I don't want to be a nuisance/clutter up the thread with Spartacus ramblings. :ohdear:

I pretty much marathoned through the first season as much as my free time permitted. Show was pretty good to begin with, then Spartacus brought the rain and the show promptly began inserting cock in rear end.

So many familiar faces from Arrow. Manu Bennett is loving intense as Crixus. And I think all the topless women on the show are actually desensitizing me. It's like "oh, tits? That's nice"

And when I saw the title of the last episode was 'Kill Them All' I knew I was in for an epic finale. And loving Ashur got away, I was waiting for that rear end in a top hat to get hosed the entire season...

The prequel season is next right ('Gods of the Arena')? Then 'Vengeance'?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Production order for sure. Prequel next.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Also I just want to say that Varro was loving cool and gently caress Numerius for that call. Little bastard got what was coming, and now I'm a little scared of Aurelia. :catstare:

Which reminds me that Illythia got away too, oh man that psycho bitch is gonna be a problem.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

WarLocke posted:

Also I just want to say that Varro was loving cool and gently caress Numerius for that call. Little bastard got what was coming, and now I'm a little scared of Aurelia. :catstare:

Which reminds me that Illythia got away too, oh man that psycho bitch is gonna be a problem.

Enjoy the ride. I am jealous.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Murphy Brownback posted:

the nephew is an idiot who should have never been allowed to talk to the police alone

Yeah I kinda feel like every American ought to watch Making a Murderer, and this:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/the-confessions/

Both for your own safety and because you need to know how that poo poo happens if you're ever called to serve on a jury. You should never talk to the cops alone, and be aware that innocent people confess to poo poo they didn't do sometimes.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

WarLocke posted:

In here? I don't want to be a nuisance/clutter up the thread with Spartacus ramblings. :ohdear:

I pretty much marathoned through the first season as much as my free time permitted. Show was pretty good to begin with, then Spartacus brought the rain and the show promptly began inserting cock in rear end.

So many familiar faces from Arrow. Manu Bennett is loving intense as Crixus. And I think all the topless women on the show are actually desensitizing me. It's like "oh, tits? That's nice"

And when I saw the title of the last episode was 'Kill Them All' I knew I was in for an epic finale. And loving Ashur got away, I was waiting for that rear end in a top hat to get hosed the entire season...

The prequel season is next right ('Gods of the Arena')? Then 'Vengeance'?

Sure, why not. It'll liven up the thread a bit :)

And yes: on to the prequel now, which introduces the most badass character of the entire show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I binged through Orphan Black the past week. All the praise is deserved, I love the soccer mom plot so much.

So that went well and I started on Continuum. Am I supposed to like the terrorists more than the main character?? This show's theme is weird and I'm not sure what to think of it yet.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Everyone on Continuum is both a hero and a villain at the same time. It's a really good show with almost no clean good/bad delineation, it's more about what each character wants and how that interacts with other characters' wants.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I binged through that a week or so ago and I really enjoyed it. It's all the fun parts of a murder trial with the hours of technical detail filler in real trials skimmed over. I found myself wondering if he actually did it and I'm still not 100% sure. The only things I can confidently say are: the nephew is an idiot who should have never been allowed to talk to the police alone (also the way he says "yeahhh?" all the time drove me nuts), and if Steven really did do it he's just as stupid.

I really liked how it wasn't just a bunch of reenactments so you can actually try and draw your own conclusions from what the people say rather than just taking the view the showmakers want you to have (although there is definitely a "maybe he didn't do it" slant to how things are presented).

To be fair though, the nephew was 16 and in special needs classes. Its really just an example of how police can manipulate and control the system, and then how strongly that system can protect its own and resist admitting fault.

What really blows my mind is the defense attorney appointed by the state Hired an interrogator to coerce him into pleading guilty, as well as collaborated with the prosecution in his uncle's case. They even have him on the stand and ask him if he said a quote, and he said "no, I would never say that, it would be giving up the case" and then they play a news clip of him saying exactly that. that guy still hasn't been disbarred and is still practicing criminal defense law.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Spartacus is great and I am looking to more WarLocke reactions. :allears:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Julius Caesar is my favorite character on Spartacus. What a smug rear end in a top hat.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Astrofig posted:

I'm about five episodes into Broadchurch. Sometimes Tennant's accent is too thick to parse, but it's way addicting! And I love the song at the end!

Broadchurch is amazing, especially season 1. Its a pretty special season of television. I'd also recommend Top of the Lake to anybody who likes Broadchurch.

Speaking of recommendations for shows like Broadchurch...anybody got any?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

It's hard to pick a best Spartacus character but I'll say the top tier are Batiatus (best dialogue in the show), Gannicus and Oenomaus (tied for most badass/most ripped)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Duke posted:

It's hard to pick a best Spartacus character but I'll say the top tier are Batiatus (best dialogue in the show), Gannicus and Oenomaus (tied for most badass/most ripped)

Peter Mensah was shredded and over 50 when Spartacus ended. My missus would leave me in an instant for that man.

boogie shoes
May 16, 2005
Drink, and be merry

Vernacular posted:

Speaking of recommendations for shows like Broadchurch...anybody got any?

Happy Valley, The Killing (1st season only)

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Happy Valley, yeah! Good one!

Wait, that's.....another show about murderous child predators. Britain, you guys okay over there?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Britain is also obsessed with Nordic crime dramas like the original version of The Killing and The Bridge. And Wallander. And Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fortitude too.

Just binged through the first season of Review and up to episode 3 of the second one. I really love how crazy this gets, and while I get that it has little connection to reality, but how can his girlfriends/dad not know what he does for work?! I think the (ex)wife knows about it by the finale but still.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

Spartacus is great and I am looking to more WarLocke reactions. :allears:

The Duke posted:

richardfun posted:

And yes: on to the prequel now, which introduces the most badass character of the entire show.

I hope you don't mean pretty-boy Gannicus. Dude is obviously going to get chumped at some point, going by his attitude. Hell, I was expecting him to die in the market and Batiatus have to scramble to find another fighter (cue Crixus).

I still can't believe Tullius literally pissed all over Batiatus. I see our favorite Roman bastard is going to have a long history of loving people up for insulting him. :ese:

Also it is really weird seeing Ashur all buff in gladiator (lack of) clothing and without a lame leg. I'm guessing this season will explain why he and Crixus hate the gently caress out of each other? Can't wait...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
because Ashur is a filthy assyrian

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

WarLocke posted:

I hope you don't mean pretty-boy Gannicus. Dude is obviously going to get chumped at some point, going by his attitude. Hell, I was expecting him to die in the market and Batiatus have to scramble to find another fighter (cue Crixus).

I still can't believe Tullius literally pissed all over Batiatus. I see our favorite Roman bastard is going to have a long history of loving people up for insulting him. :ese:

Also it is really weird seeing Ashur all buff in gladiator (lack of) clothing and without a lame leg. I'm guessing this season will explain why he and Crixus hate the gently caress out of each other? Can't wait...

Oh yee of little faith. :rolleyes:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

richardfun posted:

Oh yee of little faith. :rolleyes:

Look those pecs make me feel inadequate, okay?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Binged through S2, S3, and S4 of Homeland. Didn't really register much dropoff in quality, it was all good. What a well made show. The cast is all universally terrific, if a little too small (people get to be CIA directors and congressmen bit too easily).

Never saw Peter Quinn's actor in anything else. Dude looks like Legolas but is also a pretty good actor. Good stuff. Obviously Claire Danes was killing it.

I'm trying to decide whether I like this or The Americans better, and it's a real toss-up. Some of Americans supporting cast isn't as good, but they have a far superior wig game.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Everything with Abu Nazir in season 2 of Homeland was awful dreck.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I've been watching spooks lately. Just finished season 1 and it's quite good. I love me some spy thrillers and it doesn't disappoint.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mobby_6kl posted:

Fortitude too.

Just binged through the first season of Review and up to episode 3 of the second one. I really love how crazy this gets, and while I get that it has little connection to reality, but how can his girlfriends/dad not know what he does for work?! I think the (ex)wife knows about it by the finale but still.

They know but they don't realize how far he will go for the show.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Episode 7 of Band Of Brothers was, in the words of Buck, a real corker. Some characters I enjoyed are now gone.

CV 64 Fan fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 4, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

buddhanc posted:

I love me some spy thrillers and it doesn't disappoint.

Give it time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Give it time.

His is avatars face... that was me watching the last season.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Give it time.

Well you didn't have to go and do that! Now I've got this looming sense of disappointment. That's okay, I'll enjoy it while I can.

E- unless you meant "give it time" in a good way. Then I'll be super excited

buddhanc fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 4, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

buddhanc posted:

Well you didn't have to go and do that! Now I've got this looming sense of disappointment. That's okay, I'll enjoy it while I can.

Maybe you'll enjoy it all. Full disclosure: I disliked the fifth season enough (having really enjoyed the first four) that I disengaged with the sixth and seventh and just didn't bother with the eighth through tenth.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Look those pecs make me feel inadequate, okay?

But then you might as well stop watching the entire show.

Which you really shouldn't. Because there is much more awesomeness to be had.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

James Woods Fan posted:

Episode 7 of Band Of Brothers was, in the words of Buck, a real corker. Some characters I enjoyed are now gone.

I really envy you watching that series for the first time. Seeing the real Malarkey break down when he talks about how hard he had it later in life gets me every time, even now just thinking about it. Truly the greatest generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

James Woods Fan posted:

After you binge BoB makes sure you cap it off with The Pacific.

Not as good but still great.