Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

The T posted:

So! I'm still cranking out all the details, but something I'd really like to do is, host tournaments for some CCGs! And since, Pokemon TCG is a game everyone knows, I figure we'd start there!

So how it works is, the first tournament will just be Base Set. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's old as poo poo, but, I like the nostalgia in it; I will probably host future tournaments where we add in a couple sets as a time, and slowly rotate sets out. To let people experience the full evolution of the game!

It's open to anyone! What do you need to take part? You'd need Tabletop Simulator, for one. You'd need to have some experience with recording audio, preferably. You'll need to record yourself in Audacity, and the game + only it's audio in whatever recording program you prefer (OBS, Fraps, etc.). This can easily be done with a free program called VoiceMeeter, and I intend to write up a guide on how to use it at some point, so don't worry if that's the only thing holding you back.

Knowing how to play the game isn't even a huge requirement! There are a number of places online to learn; a simple way would be "acquiring" the Pokemon TCG game on Game Boy Color and playing through it's tutorial.

I'll probably end up uploading a save to help with building decks, or just find a good workshop upload. But, for now, we're starting off with sign-ups!

So if you have TTS and any interest at all, feel free to post here!

Last call! I am finalizing the bracket so we can get this going soon. If you're interested, or if you've posted and I somehow missed you/haven't talked to you on Skype yet, please let me know again!

And I'll get around to writing recording guides soon... :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

Finally got around to this, here's a Recording Guide for the various programs we use for recording this LP. So if you wanna join in, take a look and get in touch!

The T fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 27, 2015

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hey y'all. I'm here with a slightly different episode than normal. I mentioned solo quests sometime in the first session, and a bit after session 2, I figured I'd try one out.
So I grabbed 64bitrobot and got to work. It's an hour long, as I felt there would not be much point in splitting it up.

Alternate titles include
You will (not) roll well
The Badrolling Badroll

Anyhow, the plan going forwards ( for me atleast, I won't speak for T) is to finish up the next 5 episodes of HeroQuest. ( Session 3 and 3.33 )
Once I've posted the HQ content, I'll have the Colt Express game recorded, and start uploading that, for those of you who are looking forwards to something different.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

The T posted:

Finally got around to this, here's a Recording Guide for the various programs we use for recording this LP. So if you wanna join in, take a look and get in touch!

Do we get to know the ruleset, cards and TTS DLs? I'd imagine it'd take some time to set up, since the decks would need to be built by the host beforehand (unless there's a way for players to build their own decks that I'm not aware of.)

The T
May 29, 2010

Benach posted:

Do we get to know the ruleset, cards and TTS DLs? I'd imagine it'd take some time to set up, since the decks would need to be built by the host beforehand (unless there's a way for players to build their own decks that I'm not aware of.)

Individual players can import their own decks from a save file (I think they have to be "promoted" by the host? haven't done any testing, but it can be done). That said, I didn't have you done on the Pokemon list, so I'll add you. I'm still working on putting a deck-editing save together.

Get in touch with me on Skype!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If it's not too late to suggest games, I have two recommendations, as well as another that everyone knows about.

1) Survive! Escape from Atlantis! (sometimes known as just Escape from Atlantis). Place differently-valued meeples on a desert island and help them escape the ever-shrinking landmass, but watch out for sharks, whales, and the dreaded sea monster! Takes about an hour to play.

2) Home Improvement: (hear me out, seriously...). It's a licensed version of the game "Handyman", which has some similarities to Monopoly. It's one of my favourite games growing up, my family still has a copy somewhere, and still play it once in a while. If no one minds, I could go through the general gameplay here, or people could just look it up. I don't want to clog up the thread with that stuff of it's too much.

Also, I would so love to see some quick, classic games like Sorry and Payday. :allears:

And yeah, backgammon sucks.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Pay Day's a favorite of mine so I'll definitely try to squeeze it in somewhere

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And yeah, backgammon sucks.

Seconded. You can sit there as long as you like, calculating probabilities, making sure your men have a good structure, and having two flexible plans depending on how your rolls go, but it won't save you if your opponent just rolls doubles and makes you sorely regret doubling them.

It's still pretty fun compared to Snakes and Ladders, though.

Also, yes, I would totally watch the OP and friends play Sorry, Parcheesi or Uno.

Leylite fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 28, 2015

The T
May 29, 2010

The T posted:

So! I'm still cranking out all the details, but something I'd really like to do is, host tournaments for some CCGs! And since, Pokemon TCG is a game everyone knows, I figure we'd start there!

So how it works is, the first tournament will just be Base Set. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's old as poo poo, but, I like the nostalgia in it; I will probably host future tournaments where we add in a couple sets as a time, and slowly rotate sets out. To let people experience the full evolution of the game!

It's open to anyone! What do you need to take part? You'd need Tabletop Simulator, for one. You'd need to have some experience with recording audio, preferably. You'll need to record yourself in Audacity, and the game + only it's audio in whatever recording program you prefer (OBS, Fraps, etc.). This can easily be done with a free program called VoiceMeeter, and I intend to write up a guide on how to use it at some point, so don't worry if that's the only thing holding you back.

Knowing how to play the game isn't even a huge requirement! There are a number of places online to learn; a simple way would be "acquiring" the Pokemon TCG game on Game Boy Color and playing through it's tutorial.

I'll probably end up uploading a save to help with building decks, or just find a good workshop upload. But, for now, we're starting off with sign-ups!

So if you have TTS and any interest at all, feel free to post here!

VERY LAST CALL! Remember, I've written up a recording guide, and Tabletop Simulator is on sale until January 4th, so there's like practically no reason to not join in on this?

I'm going to be finalizing the bracket tomorrow, so if I haven't personally gotten in touch with you on Skype, let me know or post here if you're newly interested!

The T
May 29, 2010

If it's not too late to suggest games, I have two recommendations, as well as another that everyone knows about.

1) Survive! Escape from Atlantis!

2) Home Improvement

Also, I would so love to see some quick, classic games like Sorry and Payday. :allears:

Never too late to make suggestions, although we do have a lot in the planning phases at the moment. I'm trying to push as much through as possible and build up a backlog, so I stop having moments like this where I'm sitting around doing a bit of nothing...

Sorry was likely on the table because I love garbage; and Payday was a game I think I played once as a kid, but finding out major has played it and wants to do it, it'll definitely happen.

The other two, while I would love to do them, are unlikely just because of finding the components. If you still have access to Home Improvement and any way to scan it, I'd be totally down for making a module! Likewise for Escape from Atlantis; and any other games.

The T fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 28, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The T posted:

Never too late to make suggestions, although we do have a lot in the planning phases at the moment. I'm trying to push as much through as possible and build up a backlog, so I stop having moments like this where I'm sitting around doing a bit of nothing...

Sorry was likely on the table because I love garbage; and Payday was a game I think I played once as a kid, but finding out major has played it and wants to do it, it'll definitely happen.

The other two, while I would love to do them, are unlikely just because of finding the components. If you still have access to Home Improvement and any way to scan it, I'd be totally down for making a module! Likewise for Escape from Atlantis; and any other games.

Appreciated! I might be able to work on that! I know that Survive is (or at least was last time I checked) on the workshop, so that might already be doable.

The T
May 29, 2010

Appreciated! I might be able to work on that! I know that Survive is (or at least was last time I checked) on the workshop, so that might already be doable.

Huh; I searched "escape from atlantis" and nothing come up, and just searching "survive" brings up a mess of things. Feel free to link to it!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The T posted:

Huh; I searched "escape from atlantis" and nothing come up, and just searching "survive" brings up a mess of things. Feel free to link to it!

From the looks of the board, this is it: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=354810496

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hey again everyone, as I promised this weekend, here's Session 3, where the group travels deep into Melar's Maze to unearth an ancient talisman to aid them in their combat against Zardoz's Jargon's Zargon's minions.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

My main complaint about Hero Quest right now, and it comes up especially with this jump to a further quest, is that there isn't really any sense of progression. It doesn't feel like anything has changed. I'm sure once you're buying more offensive and defensive equipment it can feel like you're stronger, but at the end of it nothing has really changed. At first I thought it was interesting that everyone's stats would stay the same, but without anything other than equipment to change things up it just feels bland. Like an adventure that stays in the tutorial level sort of. It is especially apparent since all the spells are unlocked from the get go. Maybe a way to fix this issue, would be that after a few levels you get new abilities. Nothing tied to exp or anything, but like after the fifth dungeon the warrior gets a strong attack he can use once or twice per level or something. And having different characters gain something every so often, not all at the same time would make it feel more adventurous. Or even better, say killing your main objective gives you something that gives these abilities. Then it'd feel like you're actually working towards and getting stronger in order to defeat this Zargon.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, that's one of the things that the followup, Advanced HeroQuest tried to fix, as well as many of the fanmade overhauls of HeroQuest have tried.

Like HeroQuest Deluxe / HeroQuest+ ( which is where the character graphics cards are from ) adds xp, the ability to tweak your stats, tons of equipment, and skills. Progression there is most apparent with the magic classes however, because they can have a certain amount of spells per mind point they have, which they also can upgrade. (Meaning they can shuffle their spells around to focus on a few powerful ones, or a lot of weaker ones, or anything in between. )

It's one of the things I want to look into sometime later in the year, although it's slightly more complex. (Overhauls all the combat to a d20 system as well, instead of the d6s HQ uses. )

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It would definitely be nice to see at least one quick episode of the next set, just as a comparison for the LP. But I suppose that would come down to it actually having been made into the game. Are we going to see any of the other games in that Backgammon Chess and Checkers episode? I saw Go in there, but I doubt it'd be a very interesting watch despite how much I'd like to see others play it.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
That's pretty much my biggest beef playing heroquest. Progression is pretty much nonexistent at best. As the barbarian, I managed to get the most progression, and I've basically reached the peak, there's never going to be more dice for me to throw in combat, I have all the dice.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
In contrast: I started playing Dark Heresy with a bunch of people a couple months ago and there is far too much progression.

Our last session consisted of:

1) 1hr 40 Upgrading stuff and spending xp
2) 5 minute briefing
3) 10 minutes dicking around since we were so bored of waiting to actually start playing
4) 25 minute mission time
5) 10 minutes complaining about steps 1-3

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So hey, ended up being a bit late, but HQ is up, and I'm back in my dorm again, so things should snap back into place again soon enough.

In other news, Colt Express was a success(?) And I hope y'all will enjoy it once I start uploading it.

e: Youtube is being pretty weird, it might take a bit before it's up. if It's still processing when you check it out, give it a few more min.

The T
May 29, 2010

I also recorded a Carcassonne video that Part 1 of was supposed to go up yesterday, but AGDQ + everything else has been a huge distraction. I'll try to have it early next week, so look forward to it!

Also I'll toss this out there: do people really caaaare if I keep a consistent schedule/fret over it, or should I just record when I can, post a video once a week when I have ones to post, and keep it going like that? Likewise, Ax will follow a similar schedule, and if we're crossing over with each other, no big deal?

Tell me your thoughts!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think the most important thing is that you don't burn yourselves out, so go with what's comfortable IMO.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Just do what you can so you can show off as many games as possible. If that means longer breaks between videos then so be it I say. Unless you wanted to do something where you have big games like Heroe's Quest come out when possible, and fill the space with shorter videos showing off some more simpler games. If you can even do that. I don't know what's all out there. Card games are usually quicker. I just got Love Letter which is a really quick and easy card game to get into. But can have a little bit of strategy to it when played with multiple people. But can still be played 2 player.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I saw a Let's Race of Love Letter last week. What a video that was!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

We have discount traps for every possible, conceivable need! Order a trap within the next hour and get 3 free wandering monsters! We'll even throw in a free UI remover on all purchases over 25 gold!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Door opening mechanism chat being interrupted by "what's our quest again anyway" cracked me the gently caress up.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Good to hear you're enjoying yourself McD!

Outside of that, that's the end of this session.
I'll be smacking up a short solo-quest episode next week, alongside the first episode of Colt Express!

Now, on the note of Colt Express, the other players were nice enough to oblige me to running 2 rounds of the game back to back when we recorded it.
This was not as good of an idea as I had hoped it was, as it meant that we ended up with 1 pretty good round, and 1 where we were getting a bit tired, a bit unfocused, and pretty miserable.

So although I'm quite sure I know what your answers will be, do y'all want me to upload the second round as well? ( It's a team variant of the game, so it's pretty different from the first, which was why I originally wished to do it. )
Outside of that, expect the first episode next week.

Happy weekend folks.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

SubNat posted:

Now, on the note of Colt Express, the other players were nice enough to oblige me to running 2 rounds of the game back to back when we recorded it.
This was not as good of an idea as I had hoped it was, as it meant that we ended up with 1 pretty good round, and 1 where we were getting a bit tired, a bit unfocused, and pretty miserable.

So although I'm quite sure I know what your answers will be, do y'all want me to upload the second round as well? ( It's a team variant of the game, so it's pretty different from the first, which was why I originally wished to do it. )

Just want to point out that we would really appreciate some feedback regarding this - the people involved seem kind of split between "christ that was a lovely round, just trash it" and "eh, gently caress it, we already got the poo poo recorded, might as well put it up, maybe somebody will like it".

Or in other words and more general, would you want more content, but lower quality content at times, or less content, but high quality content (you know, relatively speaking har har self deprecating humor).

So if you're reading this and regularly enjoy the videos, please drop a line - after all, we're doing this for you!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 23, 2016

The T
May 29, 2010

SubNat posted:

The main issue popped up due to some miscommunication between me and Manic that was entirely my fault; I was panicking over disk space issues and trying to restart my recording, and only half-hearing Manic, I thought he was using outside communication to communicate with his partner, when this wasn't the case; so I exploded on him after being like "dude, don't"; Both of us failed to realize that he wasn't doing what I thought he was doing. So, totally my fault, and I feel bad about it, and we talked it through afterwards and I apologized a bunch.

Anyway!

I've had a cold the last week and haven't gotten poo poo done on Carcassonne; finally got back to working on it today, but hit a simple snag waiting on music to download. So I'll probably have it rendering tomorrow and post it sometime early next week, then Part 2 will be... whenever I have time to work on that.

Pokemon TCG is still getting underway; I've put a deadline on when people should have their decks ready, so hopefully that will kick people into gear or I can know who to drop from the tournament.

That said, if you wanna be a last minute entrant, and can get a deck together quickly (should not be a problem, really), let me know.

The T
May 29, 2010

Quite possibly my favorite board game, and the game that got me into playing Euros in the first place.

Intro in the video is a bit sparse, because I had just explained the rules to everyone pre-video and was worried if I took too long they'd forget. I do eventually get around to explaining things as we go, though!

Also I'll toss this out there as a point of discussion: I'm trying something... while not noticeably new to viewers, is a new style for me; making themed playlists and playing them randomly for the video. So I'm going to reuse these playlists for future videos, hopefully adding more songs along the way. Are there any games with good Town/overworld music like the ones I use in here? Likewise, anyone know of any games with good soundtracks that wouldn't be overbearing, that they'd like to see in future videos (as long as the music matches the theme of the game, natch). Help me out here!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This game looks really fun. :)

The T
May 29, 2010

Poil posted:

It is! And it has a frankly absurd number of expansions, so this definitely won't be the last we're seeing of it. :D

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Somewhat off topic, does anyone have the save for Secret Palpatine? It should be in a file called 597522954.json in your Documents\My Games\Tabletop Simulator\Mods\Workshop folder... it got taken down from the Steam Workshop for some reason.

On topic: I want to see someone attempt to play with all the Carcassone expansions. I suspect it would quickly but hilariously devolve into an unplayable mess.

Edit: Also on topic: Redemption TCG should go on the list of things to be played. It's kind of a mess (and it has literally the worst card frames I've ever seen) but the core gameplay is surprisingly solid. And hey, between that and being a TCG "for good Christians", it's actually the oldest active TCG that isn't Magic.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 26, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Poil posted:

A great way to get into Carcassonne would be the extremely well-done Android version. Can't speak for the quality of the iOS version, though.

The T
May 29, 2010

Keiya posted:

On topic: I want to see someone attempt to play with all the Carcassone expansions. I suspect it would quickly but hilariously devolve into an unplayable mess.

:ssh:

That's definitely happening down the line. Probably not for a long while, though.

But, I am the creator of the mod we're using, and what we show in the video isn't even a small part of what I've already done with it.

We're still taking suggestions on how to even do Catapult, though...

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
Carcasonne is my go-to gateway game for table top newbies. The river is really good as it acts as a tutorial to the game mechanics. Inns and Cathedrals is my favorite expansion. It adds a bunch of new tiles, a new high risk/reward mechanic and expands the game to 6 players.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I like Carcassonne, but for some reason people around here don't really find it fun. :( Oh well, there's more games.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I have yet to play Carcassone with more than just me and someone else. I only have the base game but it has a wonderful blend of simple yet highly strategic game play. I think my favourite part of it though is the worlds you end up building in it. Something about the generating map is really pleasant to see come to fruition.

The T
May 29, 2010

Figured I'd throw out an update to show I'm not dead: Part 2 of Carc is being worked on; unfortunately, JSpades' audio had some serious sync issues, and I'm having to re-sync it by hand. This has included weird moments where I had to add 20 seconds of silence, as if part of it just got deleted or something. It's been an experience, but I'm happy with the progress I've made, so expect it some time this week for sure.

The Pokemon TCG tournament has also finally gotten underway. Here is the official bracket, which will remain spoiler-free until a video is posted; ie, results won't be updated until the moment the video is up. So once the video is up, be aware the link will contain spoilers of the winners. Me and Manic played our match, and I'm bugging others to get theirs under way, and it seems like this will actually happen!!

As another aside, tomorrow afternoon (that is, Monday), me, major, and our friend Lucy Romana will probably (unless something goes wrong) doing a stream where we play the new Smash stuff and goof around with new characters and stages. If that interests you, subscribe to my stream here!

The T fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

Part 2: For 2 to 5-year-olds

In which videos start to disappear, things get a little bit schwifty, and I yell at all the wrong people for it.

(I'm sorry for all the frustration in this video. TTS is weird.)

• Locked thread