Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thanks for all the tips. One more question on bounty's. Reading the thread I got the impression that every ship that was 'wanted' that you participated in blowing up would reward a bounty, but my experience (albeit very brief so far, obviously) is that out of 5 'wanted' ships that I helped explode, only 2 of them rewarded a bounty. This was just hanging out at a nav point and shooting what the feds and other people engaged after I scanned them as 'wanted'.

Is there any way to know if they have a bounty, or is this just normal?

Also, drat my pulse lasers overheat frigging fast as hell.

Oh yea, if I get blown up before collecting a bounty, do I lose them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Strategic Tea posted:

Having just lost my ship, I think I've discovered the most valuable thing in the game -

paintjob degradation

seriously a bashed up weathered paintjob is cool as hell, but they take ages to get and if you ever lose your ship, bam! fresh replacement with a pristine coat of paint :(
Also they broke the "repair all" button and it repairs your paintjob too, which it didn't use to before. :mad:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Insert name here posted:

Also they broke the "repair all" button and it repairs your paintjob too, which it didn't use to before. :mad:

Bollocks. That's why I am all shiny & pristine again.

Where we're going, you don't need regression-testing to make sure changes stay changed.

:frontear:

Oh, wait, you will need that.

It'll probably stick after another couple of patches. Maybe...

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

The Locator posted:

Thanks for all the tips. One more question on bounty's. Reading the thread I got the impression that every ship that was 'wanted' that you participated in blowing up would reward a bounty, but my experience (albeit very brief so far, obviously) is that out of 5 'wanted' ships that I helped explode, only 2 of them rewarded a bounty. This was just hanging out at a nav point and shooting what the feds and other people engaged after I scanned them as 'wanted'.

Is there any way to know if they have a bounty, or is this just normal?

Oh yea, if I get blown up before collecting a bounty, do I lose them?

If there are other players in the same area as you, you have to make sure you get the last hit in.If not, you need to have hit the target at least 10 seconds before they are killed.

A higher-rated power plant will dissipate heat better.

Yes. Turn in bounties somewhat regularly. With these and exploration data, if your ship gets destroyed, the claims do too.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Is this an okay time to get into Elite: Dangerous? After watching a few twitch streams, I was going to go ahead and buy Horizons if I wouldn't be too far behind the eight ball upon purchasing.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, I've read over the intro post and I want to go ahead and jump into this game.

I see that there is a season pass where I get everything up to now, and everything that will come out in the future. Is that what you guys have done? I can't imagine just buying expansions for however long they'll be doing them.

I think you're referring to the Lifetime Expansion Pass, which was available pre-launch, and then briefly available again for a short window after launch (and I don't know if it's available now). Personally, I bought the base game, and then Horizons.

$20 (current Steam winter sale price) is a good price for the base game. You can buy / not buy Horizons later / never as you see fit.

I suspect it'll be perfectly fine to puchase / not purchase each new season's content as it becomes available (and Frontier has sort of implied each 'season' will correspond to a year). Horizons adds stuff to the base game, but it doesn't gate access to anything that isn't exclusive to Horizons itself. There are no levels or raids or anything like that, so it's not like World of Warcraft, where you couldn't see level 70 content without Burning Crusade, for example. So, just buy an expansion if you want the things in that expansion. i.e., driving a buggy around on the surface of a moon.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

The Locator posted:

If you're talking about them getting to the point when they stop shooting and the bar reads "thermal overload" that's actually the confusingly named way that the game is informing you that your weapons capacitor is empty. You can alleviate this by getting a better Power Distributor. Overheating is actually a totally separate mechanic where your ship gets hot from various poo poo, which can include from shooting weapons but is usually from other sources such as being too close to a sun or using a Shield Cell Bank.

The Power Distributor is arguably the most important component of your ship for combat since it directly impacts your shields, weapons and engines, and conveniently it is also usually the cheapest component so you almost always want to upgrade your power distributor before thrusters, shields or power plant.

My general upgrade path for getting a new combat ship goes buy weapons => D grade everything (extremely cheap and efficient upgrade, as D grade components are both lighter and perform better than E grade) => A grade power distributor => A grade thrusters => A grade shields => A grade FSD. Upgrade power plant where needed for extra power output.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Is this an okay time to get into Elite: Dangerous? After watching a few twitch streams, I was going to go ahead and buy Horizons if I wouldn't be too far behind the eight ball upon purchasing.

You can just buy the base game. And that $20 is the price it is in Canada from a previous post.

The discount for Horizons for existing players will end sometime. We're not sure when, only :frontear: knows.

You might as well buy the base game and see if you enjoy the game. If there wasn't the steam sale on right now, I would recommend just picking up Horizons, but you might as well unlock the useless Cobra Mk. 4 as well. If you hate the game it's less than going to a few movies for the sale price, and if you love the game, you're spending the same amount on Horizons either way.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Did they change the discount in li rong-yui territory? Just went to Kolaga to try and get some more armour for my FAS and they wanted full price for it.

Sounds like it's no longer part of Yong-Mart. Tote was where I did a bunch of shopping but it got overtaken by Zachary Hudson a couple weeks back.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

If you're talking about them getting to the point when they stop shooting and the bar reads "thermal overload" that's actually the confusingly named way that the game is informing you that your weapons capacitor is empty. You can alleviate this by getting a better Power Distributor. Overheating is actually a totally separate mechanic where your ship gets hot from various poo poo, which can include from shooting weapons but is usually from other sources such as being too close to a sun or using a Shield Cell Bank.

The Power Distributor is arguably the most important component of your ship for combat since it directly impacts your shields, weapons and engines, and conveniently it is also usually the cheapest component so you almost always want to upgrade your power distributor before thrusters, shields or power plant.

That's exactly what I was talking about. Thank you!

RabidWeasel posted:

My general upgrade path for getting a new combat ship goes buy weapons => D grade everything (extremely cheap and efficient upgrade, as D grade components are both lighter and perform better than E grade) => A grade power distributor => A grade thrusters => A grade shields => A grade FSD. Upgrade power plant where needed for extra power output.

This is excellent. I read the ship guide thing in the PGS thread, but it doesn't really spell out progression to the posted builds like this, which is very helpful.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
After not really playing for over 6 months, I guess it's "good" to see that The Code is still trying to play space pirate in the Lave cluster.

I was putzing around earlier in the day about 150 ly away from Leesti in a Federal Assault Ship and decided I didn't like too much and sold it for something with a better jump range to get back to Leesti where I had a stored ship.
So I get a Cobra Mk IV and made sure it had the best FSD I could buy at that station, but didn't upgrade anything else.

I finally get back to Leesti and am headed back to George Lucas and see another player in open who has hardpoints deployed. I'm just 2 million km away from the station and watching that ship on the radar saying, "Don't you do it!" and suddenly I get interdicted. I wasn't having luck with the interdiction game and got pulled out of supercruise. Immediately I get a message from Olympic Llama telling me to "stop now" which I just ignored and made a run for it.
Four pips to my un-upgraded thrusters and power conduit and two to the shields and I turned and burned(when I could) waiting for the cooldown.

It felt like an eternity for the FSD to charge back up, but I was able to escape(with 26% hull) and quickly get to George Lucas.

While it was slightly nerve wracking since I thought I was a goner, it was still a fun experience and one of the many reasons why I love this game.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Speaking of getting blown up.. I just did, but I'm not sure why. I was hanging out at a nav point, and there was a 'wanted' dude that showed up with some Fed already engaged with him, so I jumped on board and attacked... at which point about 3 other wanted guys jumped on me and blew me away. The guy I attacked was not in a wing, and he never hit me (I killed him just as I exploded).

Is there some way to know whether you are going to get jumped for engaging a wanted ship? I mean it's not a huge deal, just cost me 2k credits to re-get my ship, but it was strange.

Edit: New lesson. Never investigate a distress signal. :v:

The Locator fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 2, 2016

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

LCL-Dead posted:

Expanding on this as someone who spends most of their time in a RES.....

Thanks a lot for this post. After several false starts, even getting blown up for landing on the wrong landing pad. Sweet Baby Odin those stations want you moving quickly to the right pad or else. I barely survived some NPC attacker and used all of my credits to refuel and repair (somewhat) my ship. But I found a low RES site, got two bounties, and had enough to repair my ship the rest of the way and upgrade my power plant, distributor and frameship drive. Yay, RES sites. :unsmith:

Also, how does insurance work?

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

MoraleHazard posted:

Also, how does insurance work?

If you die, you pay 5% of the value of your ship+equipment to get it all back. If you can't pay, and the loan you can take out isn't enough, you lose all of it and get a Sidewinder.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Your maximum loan is 6.5 million, very generous unless you're flying medium/large stuff you really shouldn't be yet.

Loan payments are automatic too, 10% of whatever you earn goes straight to it.

I uh, had some trouble in my eagle/cobra when I was starting out before I doubled down on riding NPC killtrains.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Picked the base game up, and whilst I can't speak to how much content Horizons has added I have certainly had my $15 worth out of this, purely in the fun from generally learning the systems (going from almost certain death to less probable death when landing is cool).

The VR guys should be paying Frontier a fee as well, because I want to play this on a VR headset so badly it hurts.

My only real complaint is how empty the universe feels for an always online maybe I'm just off the beaten track.

RossCo fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 2, 2016

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Buy the base game, it's on sale for 15 bucks (which is the same as the discount you get on Horizons for owning it), and if you decide you want Horizons you get an exclusive ship for owning both versions of the game. There's no reason to straight up buy Horizons right now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I stuck an auto landing computer in the empty slot in my Sidewinder. I think it's hilarious that it uses the same music as the original Elite used when the computer is docking you. I died so many times in that original game just trying to dock. I played the hell out of that game - on a Commodore 64. :v:

I moved to Xihe and I'm just constantly dying in the normal RES sites there (there are no lows). The pirates all seem to be dangerous or better, and even when 3 cops have them engaged already and shields down, I come in to take my shots and they turn on me and make me explode. I have only managed to get in on the kill on 2 of them, and one I didn't get a bounty on because he took me to 12% hull and I managed to evade, but couldn't get another shot in during his last 10 seconds of life, and the other I made the poor decision to hang out and try for another one, so buh-bye to that 90k bounty.

Edit: Went back out and got a 143k bounty. Flew that baby right back to the station. Cha-ching!

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 2, 2016

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
why cant i accept this mission?

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
They need to add a "Netflix" tab to one of the panels for us VR folks.

Side bitch: Get a mission to get some Mission Plans from another system. Go to system, fly through a few different signal sources, pick up a bunch of different Mission Plans. Apparently none of them are the "mission specific" ones I need though. Flew around for a good hour or so in the system without finding what I needed. Why is the mission design in this game such poo poo?

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 2, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Kuvo posted:

I'm also curious about this, although my problems stem from Landmines.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Kuvo posted:

Best guess is that you don't have enough cargo space available.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Angrymog posted:

Best guess is that you don't have enough cargo space available.

that'd show the cargo number as red, not the item name

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Kuvo posted:

They don't have 54 nerve agent available for some reason?

Lankiveil
Feb 23, 2001

Forums Minimalist

Royal W posted:

When you get close to a star (or any celestial object), there will appear a green circle at some distance from the surface. This is the do-not-cross line. If you get closer than that, your FSD will fail and you'll be dropped (usually violently) into normal space. The trick with fuel scooping is to stay as close to that line for as long as possible without getting below it or overheating.
Also note that not every star is scoopable. There is an acronym than uses star types you can use to make sure you can scoop from a star (KGB FOAM). T-Tauri type stars are notoriously tricky for looking like main sequence stars without offering any hydrogen for fueling.
Tl;dr: make sure the star is scoopable, and always approach from an angle.

Oddly enough, I just switched my Sidewinder for an Adder, and first time I jumped into a new system it came up. I must have hit some setting somewhere to turn it off. All good now.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

MisterZimbu posted:

They need to add a "Netflix" tab to one of the panels for us VR folks.

Oh my god, yes.

This is my go to podcast game, because there's so little to look at while traveling. A picture-in-picture style window for YouTube/Netflix/Hulu would be amazing. Someone light a fire under that partnership.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

whoa there's an npc named lowtax?! :monocle:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Namaste posted:

This is my go to podcast game, because there's so little to look at while traveling. A picture-in-picture style window for YouTube/Netflix/Hulu would be amazing. Someone light a fire under that partnership.

I bought the game 3 days ago, and according to Steam I'm up to 20 hours played, and I attribute this entirely to listening to Giant Bombs 2015 GotY podcasts while playing (there's 5 each year and they usualy go for 3-5 hours each)

To be honest, I don't even know why this has hooked me so hard, I don't usually engage at all with these kinds of "choose your own adventure" games, but with the right ship it's so easy to do so many different things with just a slight outfitting change.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Namaste posted:

Oh my god, yes.

Wait, there are people who still use a single monitor in tyool 2016?

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I play on my laptop. :colbert:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I do, but what I spent on my single monitor I could have bought 3 mid range ones. I use my ipad to watch twitch or netflix when I play stuff.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Since people steadfastly refuse to send me money for a second monitor, I too am still part of the one-monitor-brigade

I also buy my monitors as exhibits: Good as new, but cheaper because people put their dirty hands on it or something.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Some dev is a goon. :getin:

The Locator posted:

I stuck an auto landing computer in the empty slot in my Sidewinder. I think it's hilarious that it uses the same music as the original Elite used when the computer is docking you. I died so many times in that original game just trying to dock. I played the hell out of that game - on a Commodore 64. :v:

I looked up the original games graphics and just, wow. Though it's funny that some sadist made landing error punishable by death. I think this game is in a toss-up with EVE Online (the old tutorials from a few years ago) for toughest learning curve.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The x games are 30000x harder to learn.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The only other Elite game I played before this was Frontier: Elite II. Man that was hard to learn, especially since this was back in the 90s and I was in middle school or whatever. I remember doing a trade route between Sol and Bernard's Star over and over until I could get in a fighter to go bounty hunting. I do kinda miss just setting a destination, hitting autopilot, and speeding up time.

My fun times were cut short when my dumb kid rear end lost the manual, which the game used as a primitive anti-theft/piracy measure. When you pulled into a station sometimes it would ask for a letter on x page, x paragraph, x word, x letter. If you got it wrong a few times you couldn't get around it and continue playing.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MoraleHazard posted:

Some dev is a goon. :getin:
Some dev is.

One of the kickstarter rewards was to name an NPC though, so this is more of a case of "some backer is a goon". Chris Roberts also shows up occasionally. Sadly, I've yet to see Derek Smart...

If you see a "CMDR Braben", that's not an NPC, that's actually David Braben slacking off and playing his own game during office hours.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Tell his lazy rear end to get back to work.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mike the TV posted:

Tell his lazy rear end to get back to work.

By blowing him up :getin:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MoraleHazard posted:

I looked up the original games graphics and just, wow. Though it's funny that some sadist made landing error punishable by death. I think this game is in a toss-up with EVE Online (the old tutorials from a few years ago) for toughest learning curve.

Yea, kids these days are spoiled. We thought those vector graphics were the poo poo. :v:

In dumb newbie spaceship news, figured out how to properly pile on by observing the state of the bad guy and waiting until his shields are down (and not near to recharging) and hull below 50% before piling on. Now I'm in a Cobra III (not much upgraded) with 800k+ in the bank pretty quickly.

I have to say that I disagree somewhat with the learning curve steepness. It's nothing like as steep as the old-school Eve, I've made a lot more progress in a day than my first several weeks in the old Eve days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

The Locator posted:

I have to say that I disagree somewhat with the learning curve steepness. It's nothing like as steep as the old-school Eve, I've made a lot more progress in a day than my first several weeks in the old Eve days.

Yeah it's actually fine now, it was kind of hosed up in the early days though when most sources of income were literally 10-100x less profitable (the only one which hasn't changed much is trading which they actually nerfed a bit IIRC).

• Locked thread