Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

You'll see it this year, it takes place before the Cell games and they're doing these in chronological order

except they did movie 7 AFTER vegeta and trunks went through the time chamber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dead Zone was also done well after the Garlic Jr. gag episode, so it's safe to say even if Cell Games is started you will still get it this year.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe they do one movie a year?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Baal posted:

Dead Zone was also done well after the Garlic Jr. gag episode, so it's safe to say even if Cell Games is started you will still get it this year.

Well, the originally did Dead Zone as their first, ever abridged Dragonball show, but it was rough. Like, was in need of redoing rough.

The funny thing is, back then, they adamantly refused to do an abridged series of the actual show. Boy, did they change their minds.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Covok posted:

Well, the originally did Dead Zone as their first, ever abridged Dragonball show, but it was rough. Like, was in need of redoing rough.

The funny thing is, back then, they adamantly refused to do an abridged series of the actual show. Boy, did they change their minds.
They've come a really long way since old Dead Zone and World's Strongest.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh right, World's Strongest is supposed to be a 2 million subscribers thing now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Covok posted:

Yeah, I know. I'm saying their movie schedule does not fall in line with what's happening in the show, they do one movie a year and it's done chronologically unless it's something like Dead Zone where it's just a redo in which case all they've got left is World's Strongest.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Twiddy posted:

They've come a really long way since old Dead Zone and World's Strongest.

Yeah, it's pretty woefully unfunny if you look it up nowadays. Like, it used to be all "internet humor", but they've learned real humor since then.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Covok posted:

Yeah, it's pretty woefully unfunny if you look it up nowadays. Like, it used to be all "internet humor", but they've learned real humor since then.
There's some jokes I can imagine them rehashing in World's Strongest (with much better execution)... Okay I can only think of "all the people stronger than Roshi," but there's gotta be 1 or 2 others.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Twiddy posted:

There's some jokes I can imagine them rehashing in World's Strongest (with much better execution)... Okay I can only think of "all the people stronger than Roshi," but there's gotta be 1 or 2 others.

A broken clock is right twice a day (or once, if you're not American).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

LolitaSama posted:

Dragon ball super manga has Goku calling Gohan a little poo poo for not coming to the tournament. Abusive/worst dad confirmed.

Maybe I'm just really, really hopeful since Gohan is one of my favorite characters but that almost seems too convenient and more just a way of setting something up to have Gohan appear in a surprise twist later. No idea what kind of twist, perhaps one of the fighters gets injured and cannot participate or something and Whis brought Gohan there before hand or something. I want to believe. I know I'm being foolish and it's really just that Toriyama stopped caring about him a long time ago but gently caress it, I'm going to hold on to that little flicker of hope as long as I can :sigh:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Gohan fighting would be the worst, I like his character right where it is.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

useless?

tho I guess he does get chumped every time he fights nowadays, so this is probably for the best

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He is the one dude on a fighting show that doesn't give a gently caress about fighting. It owns.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wasn't there some thing where he got mad about his lack of training

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

When he was getting wrecked yeah. It happened against Buu as well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

tsob posted:

Maybe I'm just really, really hopeful since Gohan is one of my favorite characters but that almost seems too convenient and more just a way of setting something up to have Gohan appear in a surprise twist later. No idea what kind of twist, perhaps one of the fighters gets injured and cannot participate or something and Whis brought Gohan there before hand or something. I want to believe. I know I'm being foolish and it's really just that Toriyama stopped caring about him a long time ago but gently caress it, I'm going to hold on to that little flicker of hope as long as I can :sigh:

The saddest thing is, at least as far as when DBZ was still running, Toriyama never did get sick of Gohan- he just bowed to the pressure of making Goku the uber hero of all time.

I really want something to happen later where some villain or something fucks up and hurts Videl or Pan or something, and Gohan just SNAPS and wrecks their poo poo without any stupid power ups.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm fine with gohan not fighting since that is what he always wanted, but it's a bummer that he sucks so hard every time he tries. even when he shouldn't, like with how his fight with super buu ended

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm fine with gohan not fighting since that is what he always wanted, but it's a bummer that he sucks so hard every time he tries. even when he shouldn't, like with how his fight with super buu ended
Yeah I'd personally like if Gohan was at least competent when he fought. Helps reinforce the underlying theme of "just because you're good at something doesn't mean you have to like it."

Which also helps the theme of "loving what you do helps" (Goku). Man, really would be stronger. Ah well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CharlestheHammer posted:

When he was getting wrecked yeah. It happened against Buu as well.

Then yeah, that's going to come back

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I hope everyone gets back from the tournament to find Gohan posing triumphantly over a god tier fighter as the Great Cyanman

Covok
May 27, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I hope everyone gets back from the tournament to find Gohan posing triumphantly over a god tier fighter as the Great Cyanman

If, in a Toriyama self-mock, Gohan battles a revived Cell and manages to become a Super Sayian God Super Sayian 2 in the process while everyone was away in an obvious Resurrection F self-parody, it would be pretty legit.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's time to let go of Gohan.
Goodbye Gohan, go be a scholar, great dad and enjoy your life.

Personally, I am more concerned about the fact Goten and Trunks do not age or grow.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, in fact, they seem to have aged backwards. No eight year old would wear what Trunks did in Battle of Gods.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe it's a Saiyan thing? Goku stayed kid-sized until he was at least fifteen.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's an art thing, characters only age in bursts because it's simpler to keep their designs the same for as long as possible and it makes it easier for the audience to identify the characters at a glance

Gohan was actually a rare exception in having three different child-stage designs prior to the timeskip, but then he was a main character and the outright protagonist of one of the arcs

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 2, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's probably staying that way so they don't have to redesign him

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

how old are they supposed to be in super? I have no idea how much time has passed inbetween kid buu dying and beerus showing up

Momomo posted:

Yeah, in fact, they seem to have aged backwards. No eight year old would wear what Trunks did in Battle of Gods.

his dad wears a spandex onesie at all times and his mom thought the great saiyaman costume was the height of fashion

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

According to the timeline on DB Wiki (so who knows how accurate it truly is, but we'll take it as a basis.)

Year:
766 - Trunks is born.
767 - Late in the year, Goten is born. (Goten and Trunks' birthyear is stated in Shueisha's Super Exciting Guide, supposedly. http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball:_Super_Exciting_Guide)
774 - Buu saga *
778 - Battle of Gods *
779 - Pan is born and then 4 months later into the year, RoF.

That means Trunks is ~13 in RoF and Goten is ~12, depending on the month.

*Xenoverse states these dates

The reason they're still the same though is like Baal says, is to be easily identifiable.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah they're older than Gohan was in Cell Saga but look younger than him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

guess they really did go back to the dragon ball style of aging for kids

I think goku and krillin were about that age in the first tournament and like 15 or so in the second

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Doesn't Super scrap the 5 year time gap between the Buu and BoG? So Trunks and Goten's ages are still not double digits.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gohan and videl have been really busy in that case

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol Gohan and Videl are married and she is pregnant at 16, loving awesome

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gohan appearing to age faster than the other characters when they were young makes plenty of thematic sense; his entire character from his Raditz through the Cell games is about how he personally is forced to mature quickly, whether it's to fight Saiyans, androids, Frieza etc. Him looking physically looking older than he actually was is just a reflection of this.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Baal posted:

Lol Gohan and Videl are married and she is pregnant at 16, loving awesome

gohan also seems to have graduated college and become a scholar, which is impressive. good job, gohan, I'm glad for you

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Now if he could stop getting into fights with Cosmic Tyrants he'd be set

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

No wonder he lost his power. Had to spend 24 hours a day boning videl + schoolwork

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Goku was married at around 17, right?
Gohan at 16.
Goten's getting married in the next arc of Super, clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Goku was married at around 17, right?
Gohan at 16.
Goten's getting married in the next arc of Super, clearly.

Goku got married at 20. They had Gohan like exactly a year later, so Gohan is 4 at the start of Z, while Goku is 25. Goku fights Vegeta at 26 after spending a year dead, fights Frieza and goes Super Saiyan at about 26-27, is on Yardrat for a year, so 27-28, trains another 3 years for the androids, so 30-31, spends a year in the Room of Spirit and Time, dies a second time at 31 or so, is dead for 7 years, is revived at 38 chronologically, about 31 physically. 31 because 8 years of death, but one year in the Room of Spirit & Time, so 38-7=31.

Now? He's chronologically in his early 40s, I assume.

• Locked thread