Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Laserpig posted:

Level of threat he poses to the success (or failure) of SC, on a scale of 0 - 10... 0.

Level of threat he poses to the physical well-being of me personally, on a scale of 0 - 10... 0, left right goodnight Dr. Smart, I wouldn't even need to take my watch off.

Then why in the hell are you even opening your simulated mouth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Kilmers Elbow posted:

This is a dating app, yes?

How else could you be sure that your prospective partner also loves Star Citizen?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen : But we cannot cling, to the old dreams anymore, no we cannot cling to those dreams.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Space Croberts

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wow, that's an amazing amount of information. I particularly found the bit about Digital Anvil to be interesting. I didn't realize that Chris's game studio was also being used for movie production, and that Wing Commander was being made at the same time as Freelancer. Funny what happened.

drat, posted my stuff in the wrong thread, here we go again:

quote:

It's rather interesting when you look at the deal made by Bigfoot Entertainment to acquire all assets of Ascendent Pictures (http://www.bigfoot.com/up-press-releases-172.php). If you check Bigfoot Ascendent Distribution LLC (http://www.bigfootascendant.com/) the company that was formed out of all this and took on all assets, the distribution rights taken over by Ascendent are completely not fitting into their product portfolio and it feels rather strange to see them in midst of all that other low-cost trash they have produced. Maybe it's worth checking into the founder of Bigfoot Entertainment who is a guy called Michael Gleissner (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Gleissner) - there's some interesting overlap with someone else, he is German, he lived in Asia, namely Philippines. He is big into Fashion TV, having bought the franchises in Singapore and Philippines and produces trashy movies and formed the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Academy_of_Film_and_Television in Cebu on the Philippines (Do you see the possible overlaps with someone else career, interests and origin?) - anyways Michael Gleissner also controls a venture capital firm called Bigfoot Ventures Ltd that holds an interesting investment approach http://bigfootventures.com/approach/index.html

There's a lot of stuff that is curious here and it makes me wonder if that guy Michael Gleissner isn't a connection to Sandi Gardiner that assisted in bailing out Chris Roberts and Ortwin's company once they got hit with the lawsuit from Costner, the assets being held as collateral. Which makes me wonder, if there isn't a silent stake in CIG.

Anyways, it's all speculation.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chocobo posted:

A couple of the guys got together and asked Lowtax to give you a second chance. Happy new year, don't gently caress this up.

gently caress no, don't make this the seraph containment thread

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jaegerx posted:

The GIL was their enemy last time I talked to them. That's what brought about that tidi system. They're smart guys though so I'm sure they'll figure it out so they can keep doing their million dollar battles.

CIG not so much.

IDK who you spoke to, but the guy who came up with and headed the coding for the TiDi system left a year ago for Riot Games. Though, to be fair he was American and living in Iceland for like five years might've just been getting old.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Just in case you missed this because GBS, its just :perfect:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Photosyphilis posted:

YO WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THAT AMORPHOUS MAN'S ARMS

e: I'm referring to this guy. I think his name is Ben? Does he have some sort of disability or has he just reached the chandrasakhar limit

My professional observation

1) Ben can barely reach his other fingers and impossible to hold both hands together and the button will someday blind Lando eventually.
2) Wulge creepy as always is again looking at someone's appendages
3) Money is posing like what his master Malificent have taught him..flaunt it if you got it

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Anyone still have links to those old Goonswarm Starcitizen recruitment posters?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I was hoping the GBS thread would direct some remaining goon true believers here and not just bad shitposters.

I was so wrong. :(

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TTerrible posted:

I was hoping the GBS thread would direct some remaining goon true believers here and not just bad shitposters.

I was so wrong. :(

time to move the thread to gws for a while

getting a bit recipe thin here and i'm hungry

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Just dropping in to say I've been making my way through this thread for a few weeks every night before bed, I'm up to page 947, and it has been a wonderful roller-coaster of emotions here.
And by roller coaster I mean a ride where you go up really high and you're laughing and then the bottom drops out and your stomach flips over in horrified terror, and then it happens again and again and again.

E: Great recipes too, much appreciated.

surc fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 2, 2016

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Fooma posted:

Anyone still have links to those old Goonswarm Starcitizen recruitment posters?

This is the only poster I have (and made) that had a Goonswarm reference.

The other was a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdmbhLDwM1k

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

kikkelivelho posted:

Constellation looking great

Doesn't dazzle camouflage belong on the outside of the ship?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

RabbitWizard posted:

Doesn't dazzle camouflage belong on the outside of the ship?

Not if it's meant to hide your bad decisions.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Xaerael posted:

Not if it's meant to hide your bad decisions.

:iceburn:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MeLKoR posted:

Turns out there was no Nigerian prince, who would have thought?

I suppose Prince Charles would count. He was alive during the end of the British colonial dominion. I'm somewhat doubt that anyone is still alive from the pre-1914 period…

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

kikkelivelho posted:

Constellation looking great

Are those graphic errors or a stylistic choice? I honestly can't tell. :psyduck:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Atrayonis posted:

Are those graphic errors or a stylistic choice? I honestly can't tell. :psyduck:

Errors. The CIG starship aesethic is basically "clean and dark".

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

getting a bit recipe thin here and i'm hungry

can someone post a good foie gras recipe? I don't trust the first results on google.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Atrayonis posted:

It's kinda hard to tell but they're actually players chatting with each other

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Kilmers Elbow posted:

This is a dating app, yes?

CR was right.

Chat is very awkward.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I like it when people attack Derek Smart for criticizing SC by pointing out how his games suck. I love that mentality; YOU CAN'T CRITICIZE SOMETHING UNLESS YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE BETTER. YOU CANNOT HAVE AN OPINION ON SOMETHING UNLESS YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE IT MORE SUCCESSFULLY THAN THE THING YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. None of us should be able to comment about anything or offer our opinions unless we've already raised $104,000,000 and released our own space shooty Gary Oldman puffy face game to critical acclaim.

Again, no offense to Derek, but I do not enjoy your games and think sometimes you are rather nutso, but you are on the right side of this issue and have every right to voice your opinion no matter what I think the quality of your games are. Anybody defending SC by attacking the games Derek has made are simply trying to redirect the issue because they have no leg to stand on.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Photosyphilis posted:

His arms are normal sized. It's just that his body has outgrown them.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Errors. The CIG starship aesethic is basically "clean and dark".

kikkelivelho posted:

It's kinda hard to tell but they're actually players chatting with each other

Oh, so that's why CR was so shocked about chat. Good to know, thanks!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lowtax posted:

I like it when people attack Derek Smart for criticizing SC by pointing out how his games suck. I love that mentality; YOU CAN'T CRITICIZE SOMETHING UNLESS YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE BETTER. YOU CANNOT HAVE AN OPINION ON SOMETHING UNLESS YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE IT MORE SUCCESSFULLY THAN THE THING YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. None of us should be able to comment about anything or offer our opinions unless we've already raised $104,000,000 and released our own space shooty Gary Oldman puffy face game to critical acclaim.

Again, no offense to Derek, but I do not enjoy your games and think sometimes you are rather nutso, but you are on the right side of this issue and have every right to voice your opinion no matter what I think the quality of your games are. Anybody defending SC by attacking the games Derek has made are simply trying to redirect the issue because they have no leg to stand on.

The /r/dereksmart subreddit has a sidebar with various links to info about DSmart. One of them is a link to the reviews of Line of Defence on Steam, to streamline the negative review bombing.

Really it's about ethics in spaceship games.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

Derek Smart is keeping Goon-de-yadda from being done.

This is my contribution for right now.

Can someone change the thread title to "Star Citizen: Derek, record your Goon-de-yadda yah bum"
Dammit Derek Smart, what the gently caress is wrong with you. Dam yoooooouuuuuuuuu

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Happy Sisyphus posted:

can someone post a good foie gras recipe? I don't trust the first results on google.

must be in here somewhere

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lowtax posted:

I see captain obvious is reporting for duty today.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

TTerrible posted:

The /r/dereksmart subreddit has a sidebar with various links to info about DSmart. One of them is a link to the reviews of Line of Defence on Steam, to streamline the negative review bombing.

Really it's about ethics in spaceship games.
I don't see why their logic can't work both ways. If they claim we can't criticize something because we've never done it before, why can they blindly support something that they have never done before?

Oh wait, that's the Captain Obvious in me going off again, I have this bad tendency to apply logic to a situation that is completely void of it, my bad.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
to avoid all this logic i'd just like to mention i found the croberts-designed tetris game everyone was talking about a couple pages ago

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Derek is insane but in a funny way and he posted a haggis recipe which is a seriously big gun to pull out.

SC white knights going "well battlecruiser sucked and Derek is just jealous, I'm spending another XXX$ so THERE!" are also insane but more tragic than anything else. Which is also kind of funny in its own way.

It doesn't take a game developer, successful or no, to see what an absolute clusterfuck SC is and that it will never be anything resembling what's been promised. Put how many 'pre-'s you want in front of the alpha and it still doesn't change the fact that the game has a vision and only a vision - no direction or concrete mechanics beyond a super basic tech demo that even fails at being a tech demo because it isn't actually demoing any working tech.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lowtax posted:

I don't see why their logic can't work both ways. If they claim we can't criticize something because we've never done it before, why can they blindly support something that they have never done before?

Oh wait, that's the Captain Obvious in me going off again, I have this bad tendency to apply logic to a situation that is completely void of it, my bad.

Don't you see. Cause christ robbers made an ok game 15 years ago with a meager budget he can make an AMAZING game now with 104 million dollars.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I think all this talk and comparison has led me to conclude that it is better to be insane with massive self-worth and ego as opposed to being insane while also insecure and no self-esteem whatsoever. :spergin:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lowtax posted:

Star Citizens open development and lack of publisher has allowed them to learn about game development. No other title has ever incorporated so much customer feedback during development. The industry will never be the same. CIG really listen to every poll they make on the concern forum.

This is what they actually believe. This is where "It's obvious you know nothing about game development" and their misplaced confidence in their own understanding comes from. They think that watching someone click around in the Cryengine editor once a week and sprinkling "blocker" and "pipeline" into their reddit posts makes them John Carmack. They're behind the veil of game development, not like us common plebs buying games from publishers.

gently caress.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

CrazyLoon posted:

I think all this talk and comparison has led me to conclude that it is better to be insane with massive self-worth and ego as opposed to being insane while also insecure and no self-esteem whatsoever. :spergin:

That's deep :allears:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

TTerrible posted:

Star Citizens open development and lack of publisher has allowed them to learn about game development. No other title has ever incorporated so much customer feedback during development. The industry will never be the same. CIG really listen to every poll they make on the concern forum.

This is what they actually believe. This is where "It's obvious you know nothing about game development" and their misplaced confidence in their own understanding comes from. They think that watching someone click around in the Cryengine editor once a week and sprinkling "blocker" and "pipeline" into their reddit posts makes them John Carmack. They're behind the veil of game development, not like us common plebs buying games from publishers.

gently caress.

Have CIG ever stated something was a big gently caress up? All poo poo I've seen from them has been sunshine and roses. You'd think the most open development ever would document a litany of difficulties and setbacks especially when they're trying to make a game incorporating like 5 games in 1 with each aspect being totally betterer than the genre leaders.

CasualMaleXL
Oct 25, 2009

Big britches get bitches

Photosyphilis posted:

A friend of mine adopted a cat that had gotten too fat for its body frame- his limbs and tail look cartoonishly small. Looking at this picture, I am reminded of this disproportioned, pudgy cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Berious posted:

Have CIG ever stated something was a big gently caress up? All poo poo I've seen from them has been sunshine and roses. You'd think the most open development ever would document a litany of difficulties and setbacks especially when they're trying to make a game incorporating like 5 games in 1 with each aspect being totally betterer than the genre leaders.

Every gently caress up has either been other people misunderstanding what they were always going to do (Cutlass, Star Marine going away, the persistent part of the PTU, etc) or someone elses fault (Everything that Illfonic did being discarded because of awful project management)

EDIT: CIG cannot fail, they can only be failed.

• Locked thread