Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

In Training posted:

Without reading anything on this website it has the look and design of an insane fan site from the early 2000s and it's awesome.

lol he had a straight up no domain site that was even better years before, but long story short this dude translated YS I & II PC / Napishtim and got pissed when he was working on Felghana and the patch was leaked when it was completed. Dude flipped out and made insane posts that featured 80 gifs of the dark knight joker clapping and calling ys fans bitching, worthless pirating freeloaders, lol. ALso, he put his donation poo poo up on the site and the only way you were supposed to get the patch was if you donated to him. he 's insanely cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hizke posted:

lol he had a straight up no domain site that was even better years before, but long story short this dude translated YS I & II PC / Napishtim and got pissed when he was working on Felghana and the patch was leaked when it was completed. Dude flipped out and made insane posts that featured 80 gifs of the dark knight joker clapping and calling ys fans bitching, worthless pirating freeloaders, lol. ALso, he put his donation poo poo up on the site and the only way you were supposed to get the patch was if you donated to him. he 's insanely cool

Rofl

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As for my thread, it's about Tobias/PCEWorks, a known bootlegger who secretly took my Xak III patch, pressed it onto real CD-ROMs for commercialization without consent/inclusion so he'd get to pocket 100% of the net earnings at premium pricing!!! The drama was DeuceBag/Lipschultz/X.X.XSEED Games criminal sneak/cheat shenanigans all over again! Continue reading...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Hizke posted:

wasn't there a thing where one line of dialog was not translated unless you got the donation version of the patch? or am I thinking of a different insane translator

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He calls for a boycott of XSeed games for the crime of publishing all the Ys games on multiple platforms instead of letting people pirate translations forever. Lol this man is awesome!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh my god

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

haha

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's some interesting details about the old Ys games in between the 35,000 words about how an XSeed employee bragged about how big his dick was on a Neo Geo forum 8 years ago.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The giant plant boss is awesome holy poo poo!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Ys6_F00k_You_XSEED_01.jpg

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ys VI is weird so far. Adol has a 3 hit combo, there's no burst and the area design seems a lot different than Oath. I just got the first real sword though so I'm interested to see how the combat opens up.

Is there any good reason to beat the halberd guy the first time Adol meets him or is just for a steam achievement. I'm playing on Hard/Catastrophe.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 1, 2016

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Oh hell yes Adol gets a lightning rapier. Ys VI has cool weapons.

Limewater Cave is extremely confusing though. I'm going to have to draw a map.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 1, 2016

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Current progress through this effed up labyrinth.

We're gonna need a bigger map.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm excited to play this game

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

this gave me old school gaming feels

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol. Awesome. I love making maps for old games.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Use graph paper

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I would if I brought any to this god forsaken country. this is the only notebook I have.

I have a pretty detailed map of the first floor of wizardry vi, but the dungeon is so confusing in that game and I gave up. I want to go back to it though.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
The fact that you're doing this at all makes me respect you that much more, Evil Eagle.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Eagle posted:

haha awesome

looking forward to getting started with Origins, but who knows when that's going to happen

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Jerkops posted:

haha awesome

looking forward to getting started with Origins, but who knows when that's going to happen

Immediately, because this thread demands tribute.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lol

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I need a mod to put the pc engine soundtrack into Ys II chronicles. it's so good

There's one for that I found for Ys I but not II.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I would if I brought any to this god forsaken country. this is the only notebook I have.

I have a pretty detailed map of the first floor of wizardry vi, but the dungeon is so confusing in that game and I gave up. I want to go back to it though.
Try getting to the dwarf mines. Jesus. My map ended up as fracturd and insane as my hosed up dick.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The bird boss in the wind temple in seven was awesome

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I just beat the first boss in Oath and am at the second. It's so much fun keeping up a chain of killing normal enemies and then to get a real change of pace in a boss fight. It felt kinda like a bullet hell shmup, which was awesome. The first fight was tough and intense, it often came down to one hit more when I was killed. I also really like how comfy the town feels. Cozy rpg towns are serious win in my book and this game is heading that way real fast.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

I need a mod to put the pc engine soundtrack into Ys II chronicles. it's so good

There's one for that I found for Ys I but not II.

Aren't they already in there by default?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

which psp ys is best?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

which psp ys is best?

7 is my favorite but Oath in Felghana is extremely good too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Seven is fairly sick but Oath is probably better (I personally lean more towards the solo Ys games than the party based ones, even though 7 and Celceta are both good)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

7 also has the coolest story in any of the Ys I've played. Usually it's just rad stuff about destroying evil and collecting seals but poo poo pops off in 7 in a way divorced from just apocalyptic events in a neat way. Specifically the parts I'm playing now with gladiatorial combat sequences (??)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
As muchas i like them, ys games have the most typical stories and characters ever. I mean sometimes you dont want some grandiose overcomplicated bullshit but like the plot device in origins is an evil orb called the black pearl

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

ArfJason posted:

As muchas i like them, ys games have the most typical stories and characters ever. I mean sometimes you dont want some grandiose overcomplicated bullshit but like the plot device in origins is an evil orb called the black pearl

7 has a good plot twist, if you're looking for something slightly less conventional.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

moc had some good twists in it and i liked the characters a lot more than most games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I prefer simplicity for the gameplay style of ys. Just wanna be out there hacking and slashing for the most part. Although I did just go to space in 7 which is cool

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Slur posted:

Aren't they already in there by default?

The PC-88 soundtrack is there, but the CD audio soundtrack from the PC Engine/TurboGrafx version is not. Here's what it sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4l4KtzXNUA

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm in the final dungeon of Ys VI now. The weapons in this game are great. Instead of magic bracelets you have three magic swords that have their own mp bars that charge over time and while you hit enemies. You can unleash a powerful magic attack whenever the bar for each weapon is full. Unlike Oath, you don't hold down a button to charge up magic. Also unlike Oath, the swords don't obsolete each other and you'll be using all 3 for the whole game. Every sword has a 3 hit combo, but they all have unique mechanics beyond that.

Wind: At the end of the 3-combo, Adol starts a whirlwind combo attack and if you time your button presses right you can attack up to 5 more times.
Fire: Every hit of the 3-combo can be charged to create a shockwave that hits multiple times if the tip of it hits an enemy.
Lightning: Adol builds up a static charge as he attacks, and once its built up enough he automatically does a lightning shoulder charge attack.

Ys VI is really fun to play. I'm definitely a fan.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Ys games aren't about insanely complicated plots, it's about Adol adventuring with his pal Dogi and meeting new babes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat Origin last night. The final boss was really cool, I liked it better than Oath's. Overall I think Oath was better, but Origin did a lot of different and cool things with its bosses, particularly all the giant ones. The Epona and Kishgal fights were pale imitations of Oath's humanoid bosses though, with Epona in particular being extremely similar to Chester but way way easier.

I'm actually gonna just go ahead and do the other two routes of this game before going on to Ys I and II. Currently trying to blitz through Hugo on an easy difficulty. He's definitely not that fun. His magic shooting attack is pretty boring and his first skill is just a shield that isn't even useful for doing damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I never said i wanted super complicated bullshit, just not something so... bland, by the numbers... dont get me wrong i love the games and gameplay comes first but i was expecting a longstanding series to niot be so rote
Complex is not the same as fresh! You can be simple and inventive!

• Locked thread