Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

That lens is boss as heck. I am jealous of the Mk.II body though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

strangemusic posted:

That lens is boss as heck. I am jealous of the Mk.II body though.

Quick lens test.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
One of these things having seen it recommended so many times on these very forums.

I ended up drinking enough coffee to keep me up until 3AM despite the fact I didn't go out and tried to go to sleep at 1. Totally worth it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

donquixotic posted:

One of these things having seen it recommended so many times on these very forums.

I ended up drinking enough coffee to keep me up until 3AM despite the fact I didn't go out and tried to go to sleep at 1. Totally worth it.

It's been a while since I looked at the official directions, but here's something I don't think they include: if you fill the press upside-down (i.e. setting it down on the plunger with the plunger mostly withdrawn), you can let the coffee steep for however long you want instead of letting the water come through immediately like it does if you follow the standard directions. It doesn't need to steep long, but it makes a difference.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
Yeah I've heard about that, been reading about the inverse or upside down method. I really didn't need something else in my life to consume my precious time, time I would've spent browsing internet forums.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Which grinder do you use? It can also make a big difference.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

All that really matters imo is getting that water temp to 200 degrees before you pour it

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

donquixotic posted:

Aeropresses are fantastic, but you've only completed half of your quest. Get some of this and make some weapons-grade coffee (that tastes great too, surprisingly).

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Aeropresses are fantastic, but you've only completed half of your quest. Get some of this and make some weapons-grade coffee (that tastes great too, surprisingly).

How is "strong coffee" even supposed to work unless they just mean a light roast? "Strength" is in the brew. Looks like a mega gimmick and you can get very fancy coffee indeed for $20 a pound.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a gimmick to try to sell to manly men

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

How is "strong coffee" even supposed to work unless they just mean a light roast? "Strength" is in the brew. Looks like a mega gimmick and you can get very fancy coffee indeed for $20 a pound.

Don't buy it then? It tastes good and is roasted locally.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a gimmick to try to sell to manly men

Then how do goons fall for it

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Don't buy it then? It tastes good and is roasted locally.

Surely not to everyone?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

NotAnArtist posted:

Then how do goons fall for it

They think they're manly men

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Whoops

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Goons and manliness are two closely related concepts though

Recaffeinated
Jul 11, 2007
Fuck decaf.

Bip Roberts posted:

'Strength' is in the brewing, but caffeine content can definitely vary between beans. According to this: http://gizmodo.com/5991619/would-you-drink-a-cup-of-death-wish-coffee-which-has-twice-the-caffeine-of-a-normal-cup they use more / all robusta in the blend, which has higher caffeine content but is generally avoided due to poor taste. From my one try of this stuff, I think they then just over-roast the beans to cover that fact up, which actually works pretty well. Still definitely a gimmick since adding caffeine powder to better coffee would almost certainly be preferable (and likely cheaper).

The real follow up purchase would be: https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/nostalgia-electric-popcorn-popper plus an 8lb green coffee sampler. :getin:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Toast Museum posted:

you can let the coffee steep for however long you want instead of letting the water come through immediately

Or you can just buy a french press for like 5$

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Or you can just buy a french press for like 5$

If you want French press coffee, sure. Both are good, and neither press is expensive or hard to use, so gently caress it, get both. The Aeropress uses paper filters, so the coffee it makes doesn't have the fines and sediment you get with a French press. Whether that means "cleaner flavor" or "lacks depth" is pretty much just personal preference.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
An aeropress is also far easier and quicker to clean.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

An aeropress is also far easier and quicker to clean.

Rinse out with soapy water. French press is clean.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PCOS Bill posted:

Rinse out with soapy water. French press is clean.

Having used both, unless you want to wash a bunch of coffee grounds down your drain, the aeropress is way easier to clean.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

I'm 23 years old and I still have horrible acne. My brother in law swears by this stuff and his skin is pretty clear, so let's give it a try.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

coffee grounds down your drain

You have to save them for composting

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

tentawesome posted:

I'm 23 years old and I still have horrible acne. My brother in law swears by this stuff and his skin is pretty clear, so let's give it a try.
The 3 stages are facial scrub, benzoyl peroxide, and moisturizer. If you respond well, try buying generic versions of each part.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

tentawesome posted:

I'm older and still get acne if not for BP. the only thing that ever works through lots of trial and error is benzyl paroxide 2.5% and thats it. just water in the shower otherwise nothing else.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Toast Museum posted:

It's been a while since I looked at the official directions, but here's something I don't think they include: if you fill the press upside-down (i.e. setting it down on the plunger with the plunger mostly withdrawn), you can let the coffee steep for however long you want instead of letting the water come through immediately like it does if you follow the standard directions. It doesn't need to steep long, but it makes a difference.

Thank you for this. I just got one a few weeks ago and a bunch of $$$ coffee, but I feel the whole pour water in and stir makes it filter before the real magic happens.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Surface Pro 4
i5, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD.

and posting from it, right now.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

DirtyFalcon posted:

Quick lens test.

Welcome to team awesome. Next, begin to covet a 16-35 4.0 OSS :fap:

I do enough low light photography (concerts and so on) that I'm really hankering to trade my A7 (Vanilla) for an A7S, but I haven't got the cash... first world problems all you want, those ISO numbers are just so delicious.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 03:57 on Jan 2, 2016

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

tentawesome posted:

If your acne is really bad. I would seriously recommend going to a dermatologist and talking about accutane. I took accutane last year for six months, and my cystic acne went away. That stuff seriously saved my life. Yes your skin drys out, and your lips split pretty bad, but not having to deal with harsh acne ever again was totally worth it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

SlippyFists posted:

If your acne is really bad. I would seriously recommend going to a dermatologist and talking about accutane. I took accutane last year for six months, and my cystic acne went away. That stuff seriously saved my life. Yes your skin drys out, and your lips split pretty bad, but not having to deal with harsh acne ever again was totally worth it.

I too took Accutane about 15 years ago and it was a life changer. My dick got so dry and brittle that it was always bleeding in 1-3 places, yeah, but it was 6 months and done.

you have to get monthly blood tests to make sure you don't die, you're really not supposed to drink alcohol during that time, and some people think it makes you commit suicide, but all in all I say worth it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

My dick got so dry and brittle that it was always bleeding in 1-3 places

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

some people think it makes you commit suicide

Jesus loving Christ I wonder why :suicide:

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I too took Accutane about 15 years ago and it was a life changer. My dick got so dry and brittle that it was always bleeding in 1-3 places, yeah, but it was 6 months and done.

you have to get monthly blood tests to make sure you don't die, you're really not supposed to drink alcohol during that time, and some people think it makes you commit suicide, but all in all I say worth it.

I took Accutane as a teen. It worked to remove the acne but I've had hyperhidrosis and some other conditions ever since. I would try Benzoyl Peroxide first and Accutane as a serious last resort

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
Thanks for all of the advice, guys. I don't have a dick but I think BP may still be a lot better for me. If Proactiv works out I'll check out the generic brands.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

blarzgh posted:

Surface Pro 4
i5, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD.

and posting from it, right now.

I'm trying my best not to use my bonus for this.
Please tell me it's crappy and stupid and terrible for sketching.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tentawesome posted:

Thanks for all of the advice, guys. I don't have a dick but I think BP may still be a lot better for me. If Proactiv works out I'll check out the generic brands.

They didn't when they started either.

It's powerful stuff.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

I'm trying my best not to use my bonus for this.
Please tell me it's crappy and stupid and terrible for sketching.

:ohdear: i... i can't. I love it.

I don't draw, so im the wrong person to ask about that. If you get serious about it, road test the Pro 3 and Pro 4, and compare. the kickstand in the 4 bends all the way down, and the 4 comes with the $50 pen, vs having to buy it with the 3 The 4 type cover has backlit keys, but is backwards compatible with the 3. For the same price, theres no reason not to get the 4 cover. The type cover is really optional, unless you absolutely MUST blog from the train or whatever. A simple bluetooth keyboard for 1/2 the price can replace its @home functionality. Unless you are running massive photoshop projects, even the lowest spec models can handle just about anything. I've just started to tootle with GIMP, and Im exponentially over-powered. You can get a Pro 3 and a pen for <$650. The i3 Pro 4 will run you just under a grand. For anything less than extreme processing, your only analysis will be comfort/function vs. $$.

Im playing Civ:BE right now, and it puts my core i5 Lenovo P500 laptop to shame. the SSD is the real star of the show, and all models come with it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Warning about the benzoyl peroxide, it bleaches poo poo like you wouldn't believe, so be careful.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

blarzgh posted:

:ohdear: i... i can't. I love it.

I don't draw, so im the wrong person to ask about that. If you get serious about it, road test the Pro 3 and Pro 4, and compare. the kickstand in the 4 bends all the way down, and the 4 comes with the $50 pen, vs having to buy it with the 3 The 4 type cover has backlit keys, but is backwards compatible with the 3. For the same price, theres no reason not to get the 4 cover. The type cover is really optional, unless you absolutely MUST blog from the train or whatever. A simple bluetooth keyboard for 1/2 the price can replace its @home functionality. Unless you are running massive photoshop projects, even the lowest spec models can handle just about anything. I've just started to tootle with GIMP, and Im exponentially over-powered. You can get a Pro 3 and a pen for <$650. The i3 Pro 4 will run you just under a grand. For anything less than extreme processing, your only analysis will be comfort/function vs. $$.

Im playing Civ:BE right now, and it puts my core i5 Lenovo P500 laptop to shame. the SSD is the real star of the show, and all models come with it.

:negative:
poo poo. Thanks but also gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

:negative:
poo poo. Thanks but also gently caress you.

lol, you're welcome.