Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

89 posted:

So, how far overdrafted is David Johnson gonna be next year?

Dunno, but I'm keeping him for a 13th!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

89 posted:

So, how far overdrafted is David Johnson gonna be next year?

He'll be a CJ Anderson sort of top of the 1st/early 2nd I'd guess.

Then Palmer will get injured in the first three games and their entire offense will go down the tubes.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I'd say gurley and bell are clear cut top 2 rbs going into next year. I think you can make a reasonable case for David Johnson to be one of the next rbs off the board but I would be hard pressed to take him over a top wr or maybe even gronk.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Not AP, #2 RB (in 1ppr) who played every game this season and did very well? Or is he retiring or something?

I'd rank next year's RBs:
Bell
Peterson
Gurley
Martin
Lynch
Charles*
Foster**
Freeman
Miller
Woodhead

*Assuming he claims a 100% starter job on a team, which given what the Johnsons did after he was injured, I don't know if that's a certainty.
*Assuming he's still a Texan next year; he could move up the chart if he is healthy and on a better team?

Everyone subject to health and team situation of course, but that's just a stab at the top 10 as I see it, and I put Peterson pretty solidly at #2 with an argument for #1 based on Bell's injury history.

I don't put David Johnson on the list at all, because if Charles is back and healthy, at best they both wind up in a timeshare, but it seems more likely to me that one or the other gets traded.
I also vacillated about putting Hyde on the list; depends too much on what happens in SF during the offseason. If he gets the 100% bell cow starting position again like he did this year before injury, I'd rank him above woodhead.

Also a strong argument can be made against or for Miller that depends on what Miami does with its coaching staff.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 31, 2015

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
A healthy Arian Foster you crack me up Leperflesh

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Leperflesh posted:

I'd rank next year's RBs:

David Johnson is a Cardinal, you're thinking of Charcandrick West with Charles.

Also after picking up Knile Davis this year I refuse to touch the KC RB situation during the draft unless it's a late flier on one of their backups.

Where do you all think Rawls will be picked?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm not touching Foster next year unless the value is too good to pass up. Like 5th round and after.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Arrington's got one more year on his (very affordable) rookie contract. Considering Chris Johnson kept a decent workload going right up until his injury despite sharing time with Arrington AND D Johnson, I think David Johnson will probably produce enough to justify a 2nd round pick even if he's sharing time with an Arrington who manages to stay healthy the entire year.

edit: Rawls could be my 1st overall or a late round Lynch handcuff depending on what Lynch does in the playoffs and offseason. Who knows.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Leperflesh posted:

Not AP, #2 RB (in 1ppr) who played every game this season and did very well? Or is he retiring or something?

AP will be a tricky player to nail next year. He's leading the league in carries this year by a fair margin, which obviously is a huge reason why he's the #2 fantasy rb, plus whatever workload he ends up taking on in the playoffs. I think there is enough of a chance that next year AP starts to taper off, vikings let bridgewater start to take over the offense, or the vikings decide to give AP a lighter workload during the season and play McKinnon more that I think there a fair amount of risk in taking him early. Is he a riskier pick than Rawls, David Johnson, or any of the other hot young rbs that will go early in the draft? Hard to say at this point but in general I much prefer gambling with younger running backs than older ones coming off 300+ carry seasons.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
There doesn't appear to be a Start/Sit thread for Week 17 because most smart leagues have already finished. Unfortunately for me I'm in a stupid league so I have to put together a lineup. Only issue is my RB2 with Draughn injured, here's my choices:

Half PPR
Bilal Powell @Buf
Gio Bernard vBal
Artis-Payne vTB
DuJuan Harris vStL
Rashad Jennings vPhi

(I grabbed all the RBs I could off waivers since my WRs are pretty much on lockdown)

Powell seems like the best choice but it looks like he might not play this week so assuming he's out, which of the other 4 would you start?

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
#2 Seed on the Left (me) and #1 seed on the right. He is only one of the two people I lost to all season and here we are in the finals goons reassure me that I have a chance here :(

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Mr. McGibblets posted:

#2 Seed on the Left (me) and #1 seed on the right. He is only one of the two people I lost to all season and here we are in the finals goons reassure me that I have a chance here :(

My work thinks tinypic might be an adult website so that image doesn't work for me but I'm sure you'll be fine.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LmaoTheKid posted:

I'm not touching Foster next year unless the value is too good to pass up. Like 5th round and after.

Didn't he rupture his Achilles or something far more brutal than an ACL tear? I think a 5th will be too much.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

Didn't he rupture his Achilles or something far more brutal than an ACL tear? I think a 5th will be too much.

Achilles. I don't see drafting Foster at all next year. I have to think Langford stands a chance at being up there. Forte's a UFA and I don't see them making a big push for a 30 year old RB, especially given the trade rumors in October.

As good as Woodhead was this year, I can't see taking him as a top 10 RB next year. That depends on the coaching situation in San Diego, I suppose. The few games he was just completely shut out of the game late in the season are worrying.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Here are the top 10 RBs in half PPR this year:

Devonta Freeman: Kyle Shanahan has found his bellcow. Likely early first rounder.
Adrian Peterson: 31 but seemingly inhuman, I think people will still draft Peterson in the early first.
DeAngelo Williams: 33 is not exactly a good age for RBs.
Lamar Miller: The RB4 in spite of Miami's coaching, I'd say he'll be a 2nd rounder next year.
Doug Martin: Oh look, Muscle Hamster is back. Late first / early second.
Todd Gurley: First rounder, easily.
Danny Woodhead: 31 and who the gently caress knows what will happen to San Diego next year. Avoid.
David Johnson: A high risk RB1 that will likely see the first or second round.
Chris Ivory: 28 next year. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets stigma sticks and he falls to the third.
Mark Ingram: 27 but he'll still be attached to the shitshow that is New Orleans. Probably will fall to the third/fourth.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Amergin posted:

David Johnson is a Cardinal, you're thinking of Charcandrick West with Charles.

Also after picking up Knile Davis this year I refuse to touch the KC RB situation during the draft unless it's a late flier on one of their backups.

Where do you all think Rawls will be picked?

drat, you're right. I was conflating the West/Ware situation vs. the Johnson/Johnson situation. David might be the bellcow next year, or he might share time or even be second to CJ2K next year. If he's Arizona's bellcow back I'd put him into my list around fourth or so.

Papes posted:

AP will be a tricky player to nail next year. He's leading the league in carries this year by a fair margin, which obviously is a huge reason why he's the #2 fantasy rb, plus whatever workload he ends up taking on in the playoffs. I think there is enough of a chance that next year AP starts to taper off, vikings let bridgewater start to take over the offense, or the vikings decide to give AP a lighter workload during the season and play McKinnon more that I think there a fair amount of risk in taking him early. Is he a riskier pick than Rawls, David Johnson, or any of the other hot young rbs that will go early in the draft? Hard to say at this point but in general I much prefer gambling with younger running backs than older ones coming off 300+ carry seasons.

True that AP is coming off a 300 carry season... but he also didn't play in the 2014 season, and there's no particular sign that he's picked up injuries or is tired. Basically all running backs you'd take in the first round are bellcow backs who see tons and tons of snaps, and that means they're subject to injury. The ones you take in the top five especially so, because they're bellcows on run-first offenses. I don't see a way around that, really: either you're taking a guy exposed to that level of wear and tear, or you're taking a guy who hasn't got the kind of weekly safe floor and high ceiling that deserves an early first round pick.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
My early top-12 for next year in full ppr:

Bell
Peterson
Charles
Lewis
Gurley*
Ingram
Freeman
McCoy
Lynch
Ivory
Martin
Foster

*Would be higher on talent, but I can't see a situation where either his line or his quarterback is significantly improved.

For all that we bemoaned running back chaos this year, that was nearly all injury-related. Here was the preseason ppr rankings on fantasypros:

Bell
Peterson
Charles
Lacy
CJA
Forte
Lynch
Forsett
Hill
Murray

(Foster was a late 1st/early 2nd before his injury)

And here was the per-game ppr scoring rate for the year:

Freeman
Charles
Foster
Bell
Lewis
Ingram
Peterson
Forte
Gurley
Woodhead

That's five top-10 talents that performed at a top-10 level when starting.

Only three top-10 rated WRs managed to perform at a top-10 level: Julio, AB84, and OBJ. The other seven top-10 WR picks finished significantly below that (though AJ Green and Alshon got close).

We were as good as usual at identifying who the best RBs were (i.e. ~50% bust rate), but they just got hurt. We were more wrong than usual about the best WRs, they just got hurt less.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Forever_Peace posted:

Bell
Peterson
Charles
Lewis
Gurley*
Ingram
Freeman
McCoy
Lynch
Ivory
Martin
Foster

*Would be higher on talent, but I can't see a situation where either his line or his quarterback is significantly improved.

Is this assuming all are healthy and on their current team, or what? I'd struggle to rank Lynch and Foster so highly given the uncertainty in both of those factors, along with general age/wear and tear.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Forever_Peace posted:

Bell
Peterson
Charles
Lewis
Gurley*
Ingram
Freeman
McCoy
Lynch
Ivory
Martin
Foster

For all that we bemoaned running back chaos this year, that was nearly all injury-related. Here was the preseason ppr rankings on fantasypros:
Ya, Gurley isn't that high for me. The split with Austin is worrying and the team is just too awful. Same with Ivory - Powell is coming on too strong and I don't know if the team is good enough to sustain two top RBs. I don't think we know yet if Lynch is done and I don't want to go anywhere near Foster.

Forever_Peace posted:

Only three top-10 rated WRs managed to perform at a top-10 level: Julio, AB84, and OBJ. The other seven top-10 WR picks finished significantly below that (though AJ Green and Alshon got close).
Was Hopkins really not a top 10 PPR WR preseason?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

cheese posted:

Ya, Gurley isn't that high for me. The split with Austin is worrying and the team is just too awful. Same with Ivory - Powell is coming on too strong and I don't know if the team is good enough to sustain two top RBs. I don't think we know yet if Lynch is done and I don't want to go anywhere near Foster.

Was Hopkins really not a top 10 PPR WR preseason?

He was a 3rd rounder.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He was a 3rd rounder.
Ya probably WR 12-14 or so in most leagues.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Here are the top 10 RBs in half PPR this year:
Devonta Freeman: Kyle Shanahan has found his bellcow. Likely early first rounder.
I thought Coleman looked good in spells and that worries me a touch.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Lamar Miller: The RB4 in spite of Miami's coaching, I'd say he'll be a 2nd rounder next year.
I think he could be the steal of the draft. So much talent on that team.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Todd Gurley: First rounder, easily.
Not worried at all about Austin or that bad team?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

David Johnson: A high risk RB1 that will likely see the first or second round.
Do you see a split happening or is he the new man?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chris Ivory: 28 next year. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets stigma sticks and he falls to the third.
Powell scares me.

cheese fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 1, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
What am I missing with Coleman? He looked nowhere as good as Freeman after he got hurt. He would leave yards on the field and get long runs on wide open holes.

And Gurley is going to be a top-five RB and an easy first rounder. The line is only going to get better (I know they drafted a poo poo ton of OL rookies) and you can't get much worse at QB there.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

cheese posted:

Gurley wound up a top RB with that same situation and missing the first 4 games. Austin may vulture a TD or two, but he's a gadget player, not someone who's going to wind up with a ton of carries.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

cheese posted:

Ya probably WR 12-14 or so in most leagues.

I thought Coleman looked good in spells and that worries me a touch.

I think he could be the steal of the draft. So much talent on that team.

Do you see a split happening or is he the new man?

Powell scares me.

To be clear, when I talk about draft position I don't necessarily mean where I would pick them up. That's where I think their ADP will be. As for your responses; Coleman didn't look terribly impressive, I will absolutely be targeting Miller next year, Austin doesn't scare me, I have no clue what to make of the Arizona backfield, and Powell could be a very interesting pickup but I think Ivory will be the perceived bellcow.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Gurley sucked the last 2 months. I benched him in the playoffs.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

David might be the bellcow next year, or he might share time or even be second to CJ2K next year.

Although they leaned on Chris Johnson a lot (5th in rush attempts per game), it wasn't because CJ2K is the most talented RB on the team. It was because he was the most experienced (and/or most healthy; Arrington).

David Johnson is bigger, better, and proven. The Cardinals certainly don't NEED Chris Johnson.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Spoeank posted:

What am I missing with Coleman? He looked nowhere as good as Freeman after he got hurt. He would leave yards on the field and get long runs on wide open holes.

And Gurley is going to be a top-five RB and an easy first rounder. The line is only going to get better (I know they drafted a poo poo ton of OL rookies) and you can't get much worse at QB there.

I think Coleman would be better in a stretch offense where he needs to make a few moves East-West before making his cut. Freeman is definitely the superior one-cut runner, which is why he is fits that offense better.

I actually called that one pre-season based on a their respective scouting reports, but I ended up making other (terrible) decisions in the 6th round when I could have had Freeman, instead of listening to my gut. :doh:

Then again nobody could have predicted the Atlanta offensive line would become legendary road graders, so hindsight as always is 20/20.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
If your league does 25y = 1pt return yards (like it should), David Johnson was out of the bag long before he took over formally.

Same deal with Lockett for that matter. S/T performance seems pretty correlative to offensive career upside.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Cordarelle Patterson and Devin Hester tho

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Cordarelle Patterson and Devin Hester tho

Sometimes these things take time or pan our weirdly. Like Tavon Austin.

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001

Victor Vermis posted:

(and/or most healthy; Arrington).

Ellington

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Haha, christ. I was trying to find his contract earlier today and kept getting JJ Arrington. Couldn't figure out why.

Eventually I figured it out.. and still hosed it up when I went to type his name here.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
I'm commish in a league where the D.Williams stat correction changed the result of the championship match. Naturally there was whining and bickering and many Steve Harvey gifs.

The loser ended up just sucking it up, but man, I wish the corrections had been done way earlier to avoid drama.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Why are we assuming Chris Johnson will be back in Arizona? While his comeback was a great story, he looked pretty drat gassed towards the end even before getting injured. He also turns 31 in September and once his top speed declines (which may have already started), he could fall off a cliff faster than you can say "Maurice Jones-Drew."

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Victor Vermis posted:

The Cardinals certainly don't NEED Chris Johnson.

Disagree

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Still not ready to share the full analysis*, but here's the top 10 most effective rushers from this year relative to the expected yards given the circumstances (down, distance, field position, quality of the defense, score, quarter, time left, and homefield advantage):

1) Jamaal Charles
2) Dion Lewis
3) Thomas Rawls
4) Spencer Ware
5) Karlos Williams
6) Ryan Mathews
7) Le'Veon Bell
8) Chris Thompson
9) Jerick McKinnon
10) Giovani Bernard

This is NOT the same as the people I have the most evidence outperformed expectations, though I did remove the players with a particularly paltry number of carries (Antone Smith with 1 carry and Lance Dunbar with 5 were technically 1 and 2, but that seemed like too limited of a sample to be anything but complete noise).

DWill and David Johnson just missed out. Jay Ajayi was about level with Todd Gurley. Abdullah was the next most effective rookie, about even with McCoy. The demarcation between "net positive effectiveness" to "net negative effectiveness" was Lacy and Langford, who both got pretty much exactly the league-average situation-adjusted yards over the course of the season. Melvin Gordon and Zach Zenner were among the worst rookies.

*briefly, I used an ensemble of a generalized additive model and a random forest model of about a dozen important situational factors to the past six years of rushes by running backs, using the log of yards gained from 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage as the outcome (where running backs tend to get the ball).

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

And here is a Bayesian analysis of rookies in situation-adjusted rushing effectiveness. In contrast to the above list, this DOES reflect the relative samples sizes: we should know more about the rookies that took more carries.

1) Rawls*
2) Karlos Williams*
3) Todd Gurley*
4) David Johnson*
5) Ameer Abdullah
6) Jay Ajayi
7) Charcandrick West
8) Javorius Allen
9) Duke Johnson
10) Jeremy Langford
11) Josh Robinson
12) Cameron Artis-Payne
13) TJ Yeldon
14) Zach Zenner
15) Matt Jones
16) Melvin Gordon
17) David Cobb

*Likely an above-average runner.

This isn't necessarily the list of guys I would target in dynasty. We're ignoring volume, situation on the depth chart, expected team quality, injuries, improvement, and receiving ability/role. But I think it does do a pretty decent job hashing out who was good this year when the ball was in their hands. Only real surprises for me here was Josh Robinson (expected him to be lower) and Yeldon (expected him to be higher).

David Cobb was horrifically bad this year.

edit: forgot Langford

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 2, 2016

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

what database of play/game data are you using? is it free? if you're using python based ML tools I'd be interested in seeing your source sometime. fun stuff.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
zach zenner better than melvin gordon h8rs gon h8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Damning with faint praise.

But good luck Double Z to rise up that depth chart with your 3.5 Y/A. Luckily you'll be on the Detroit Lions and their backfield situation isn't messy at all!

• Locked thread