Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Count Bleck posted:

Cards that have spiked for the stupidest reasons over the last few months.

Yes. Give me a special art Storm World.

Special art Eye of Ugin.

Wait, not the best example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Cards that have spiked for the stupidest reasons over the last few months.

Yes. Give me a special art Storm World.

There really have been a lot of really dumb spikes these last couple weeks.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

AlternateNu posted:

Maybe we can securitize magic cards into bonds and promote a vibrant futures market to smooth out the prices and prevent this irrational behavior. :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Maybe we can securitize magic cards into bonds and promote a vibrant futures market to smooth out the prices and prevent this irrational behavior. :v:

SCG and other magic juggernauts should start paying their writers and pros in stock options too! Then we can really start having insider trading drama. :getin:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AlternateNu posted:

Idiots getting their Christmas money.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So apparently the open today is the largest open attendance ever. Considering its modern and standard is poo poo, this doesn't shock me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i don't know who Craig Krempels is

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

That new commentator guy is nervous as hell, hope manages to relax a little bit.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

i don't know who Craig Krempels is

He is the guy who isnt patrick sullivan. Nobody is going to like that guy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Some dude got mad at me when he had 2 Amulets out on Turn 3 and started saying poo poo like "and then I untap, float this mana, then the trigger happens, and I float THIS mana" and I quit because it was boring as gently caress to watch.

I didn't realize I was obligated to watch some dude basically beat off with his cards and hell, ragequits are why you play non-interactive linear decks anyways right?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

Some dude got mad at me when he had 2 Amulets out on Turn 3 and started saying poo poo like "and then I untap, float this mana, then the trigger happens, and I float THIS mana" and I quit because it was boring as gently caress to watch.

I didn't realize I was obligated to watch some dude basically beat off with his cards and hell, ragequits are why you play non-interactive linear decks anyways right?

I did the same thing to an ANT player while I was playing Jund and dead for top 8 regardless of whether I won or not. I could sit here and watch you jerk off in a match I'm never going to win, or I could get home 20 minutes earlier. Tough choice.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Did you guys just say you conceded or something else? Because counting on previous posts in the topic, sounds like goons doing the gooniest thing possible and somehow hosed up saying that you concede.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yes it is early in the day, but Craig Kremples is loving garbage. He is making hunt look amazing right now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ramos posted:

Did you guys just say you conceded or something else? Because counting on previous posts in the topic, sounds like goons doing the gooniest thing possible and somehow hosed up saying that you concede.

Nah, I was polite. I just told him I wasn't particularly interested in playing one of my worst matchups, which also has no real interaction, in a match that I only stuck around for because I like playing legacy.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ramos posted:

Are you speaking from personal experience

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Are you speaking from personal experience

Please don't remind me of that time you flipped the table on me.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

some dude basically beat off with his cards

suicidesteve posted:

I could sit here and watch you jerk off

I know it's just a figure of speech (that I probably use more than anybody, myself) but I think competitive Magic makes much more sense if you assume that everybody has a fetish for whatever kind of deck they're playing. Control isn't less of a fetish than combo, it's just, I don't know, creepy coercive BDSM rather than exhibitionistic masturbation.

Basically what I'm saying is that all the decks are so sad and make you such a horrible person that there's no reason to play if it isn't somehow giving you a chubby

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Premature Burn.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's interesting to me that burn manages to avoid peoples ire when it comes to uninteractive decks but it's part of that weird little player psychology thing that is extremely interesting to me

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

rabidsquid posted:

It's interesting to me that burn manages to avoid peoples ire when it comes to uninteractive decks but it's part of that weird little player psychology thing that is extremely interesting to me

Burn doesn't require watching you sit there for 10 minutes doing complicated combo-wombo poo poo and over time its gotten more and more interactive. But no, I don't particularly like playing against solitaire decks in Modern.

The thing about Modern is that people constantly bitch about "diversity" when arguing about the banlist, except diversity frequently sucks in practice because there's a million decks which are 1% of the meta which are uninteractive, linear combo decks that most other decks can't beat without sideboarding an appropriate card so there are just some matchups you can never beat (and conversely, some matchups which those decks can never beat). It's not actually interesting gameplay and in the case of some decks like Amulet Bloom, the deck is literally never interesting to play against. It's why that old chestnut about Twin is comical to me - Twin is at least an interactive deck and there are lots of interesting, fun games that happen in Twin matchups.

I don't think the answer is to ban Goryo's Vengeance or Summer Bloom, even. It's to give players bigger sideboards in Modern.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 2, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

Burn doesn't require watching you sit there for 10 minutes doing complicated combo-wombo poo poo and over time its gotten more and more interactive.

Yet beloved do nothing deck eggs was talked about constantly around here and it's the second most boring "sit there and wait to see if i won or lost" deck that has ever existed.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wait, people were talking about eggs favorably in here? Are we talking within the last century or so...?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

When Cifka won the PT people were talking about how much they loved that deck forever and a day afterwards.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

Yet beloved do nothing deck eggs was talked about constantly around here and it's the second most boring "sit there and wait to see if i won or lost" deck that has ever existed.

The thing about Modern is that people constantly bitch about "diversity" when arguing about the banlist, except diversity frequently sucks in practice because there's a million decks which are 1% of the meta which are uninteractive, linear combo decks that most other decks can't beat without sideboarding an appropriate card so there are just some matchups you can never beat (and conversely, some matchups which those decks can never beat). It's not actually interesting gameplay and in the case of some decks like Amulet Bloom, the deck is literally never interesting to play against. It's why that old chestnut about Twin is comical to me - Twin is at least an interactive deck and there are lots of interesting, fun games that happen in Twin matchups.

I don't think the answer is to ban Goryo's Vengeance or Summer Bloom, even. It's to give players bigger sideboards in Modern. There's no *actual* reason the sideboard is set to 15 in the format.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ramos posted:

Wait, people were talking about eggs favorably in here? Are we talking within the last century or so...?

i love playing it, but would not want to see someone else playing it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can admire the creativity that went into building a deck and its unconventional strategy even if it's awful to play against (see also: lantern)

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think one guy liked it and a lot of people just posted EGGS BEST DECK sarcastically.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Your opponent was probably counting all the mana they had aloud because they could easily screw up and be at your mercy. Amulet is really good at killing its own player

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

Nah, I was polite. I just told him I wasn't particularly interested in playing one of my worst matchups, which also has no real interaction, in a match that I only stuck around for because I like playing legacy.

You should've just said "I know I'm doomed I'm out" or something. Saying something has no interaction has become a snarl word.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You should've just said "I know I'm doomed I'm out" or something. Saying something has no interaction has become a snarl word.

yeah theres a huge difference between "well, sounds like you got it man" *Extends hand* and "*sigggghhhhhh* i'm just NOT gonna watch you jerk off with this deck that i cant beat, gg" *stands up and walks away without making eye contact*

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sometimes I get annoyed but I've decided not to begrudge people for trying to win, as long as they polite and sporting. If there are decks that are consistently bad to play against that's on the format.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sometimes I get annoyed but I've decided not to begrudge people for trying to win, as long as they polite and sporting. If there are decks that are consistently bad to play against that's on the format.

It is on the format, but if and when WOTC does anything about them, people flip out about reducing format diversity.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

its almost as if we're all a bunch of petulant children or something

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Or that the player base of Magic is large enough that there will always be a handful of whiners and whiners are always louder than the content majority. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

It is on the format, but if and when WOTC does anything about them, people flip out about reducing format diversity.

Because they do it in a clumsy way that kills entire ways of playing.

E: or cuts people out hard from the budget options. A friend was building storm before it got banned, then moved onto eggs right before the ban. Now he's onto killing Twin :v:

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 2, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Angry Grimace posted:

Ban lantern, summer bloom, batterskull and Goryos.
Unban DRS, Stoneforge and punishing fire.

Shake it up.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because they do it in a clumsy way that kills entire ways of playing.

E: or cuts people out hard from the budget options. A friend was building storm before it got banned, then moved onto eggs right before the ban. Now he's onto killing Twin :v:

See above post.

Also your friend is doing Gods work.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I didn't literally say that. It was pretty much "I'm out of top 8 anyway, I'm only playing the last match for fun, and you're going off on turn 1 with a deck I can't beat. Later NERD."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case with Modern right now, but reducing diversity appears a bigger problem when there's already a relatively narrow selection of "best" decks than when there's actual diversity in the rest of the format.

For example (and everything in this example is an assumed hypothetical), say Bloom is the currently best deck in the format and it's brokenly good, so you ban it out. It makes a difference whether everyone who was on Bloom goes over to Twin because that's the next-most-brokenly-good deck, or whether they disperse relatively evenly into ten different decks because there's no other one obviously best deck.

From my position as an observer, I suspect that Modern is closer to the latter than most of the doomsayers would have you believe but I also don't think it's actually there yet.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

suicidesteve posted:

I didn't literally say that. It was pretty much "I'm out of top 8 anyway, I'm only playing the last match for fun, and you're going off on turn 1 with a deck I can't beat. Later NERD."

You should have thoug. Just be all "I came to play magic not watch you tug your tiny dick. I'm out you fuckig nerd!!" Then knock his deck into the floor as you sweep your poo poo into your bag and don't apologize just stare at him until he picks it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Ban lantern, summer bloom, batterskull and Goryos.
Unban DRS, Stoneforge and punishing fire.

Shake it up.

See above post.

Also your friend is doing Gods work.

I don't even think Batterskull's interaction with SFM is all that broken.

• Locked thread