Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

computer parts posted:

This won't happen, because the specific scenario you need to happen is for either the legislature to refuse to consider gun control legislation or for the courts to strike down every opportunity, while also having the popular support to specifically say "the only thing we can do is repeal an amendment".

The much more likely scenario (assuming your existing premise about gun control being more and more supported) is that legislatures will pass gun control measures, and courts will cite existing dissents (like Heller's) as reason to overturn existing precedent.

Right. DC v Heller was 5-4, as was McDonald v Chicago. If any of Scalia, Roberts, Alito, Thomas, or Kennedy get replaced by a liberal justice you'd likely see a 5-4 decision voiding Heller and returning jurisprudence to where it was previous with ownership of a firearm not being an individual right. If opinion swings hard enough we might see a case declaring that the 2nd only prevents the Federal Govt banning firearms for officially organized militias such as the state National Guard or police forces, essentially rendering it meaningless to the average person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Police officers are above the law, why is this news?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
He's not a cop yet!

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Married to a cop, and in the academy. He's just as untouchable as she is.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

GalacticAcid posted:

Almost every Democrat who has won a statewide election in a red state in recent years has been pro-gun.

Jon Tester, Brian Scheitzer, Joe Donnelly, John Bel Edwards, and Joe Manchin immediately come to mind.

Whatever gun control measures are pushed through will likely be ineffectual and not worth the electoral tradeoff. Maybe I'm wrong, but I guess it's just not a high priority issue for me.

Disagree (on the last part)

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx

The majority of voters (from a poll in 2013 for disclosure) would vote for a law that would require background checks, ban assault weapons, and limit ammunition magazine capacity. 55% of voters in 2015 would like stricter gun control laws, compared to 33% who don't want changes and a mere 11% who want less strict laws.

Gun control is a losing fight in most electoral races for the same reason that Republicans currently control the majority of state and local offices: voter apathy. You mostly have two groups, the older, more conservative, heavily pro-gun crowd who will vote mostly R in every election they can get their hands on, from the President to the local alderman. Then you have the younger, more liberal, less pro-gun crowd who won't give a gently caress and will vote in Presidential elections nearly exclusively. When a candidate from any party wants to become a senator/representative/governor, they need to start appealing more towards that older, more conservative demographic because honestly, that's the only group that's really voting. This is why you have plenty of Dems sitting on the other side for many issues. This is not even starting to mention the effect of millions of dollars pro-gun groups bring in, absolutely demolishing any other anti-gun group's efforts.

I hate to sound like a lot of people I would make fun of when they use this argument, but really this is an issue about voter apathy and turnout. I believe that the polls show a majority of voters care about gun control in a meaningful way. I'm not sure if they would make it their absolute #1 voting criteria, but if a Presidential candidate pushed for additional gun control measures they at the very least wouldn't suffer a net electoral loss.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
That's a reasonable analysis and I hope it turns out to be the case.

In other important news,

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Right. DC v Heller was 5-4, as was McDonald v Chicago. If any of Scalia, Roberts, Alito, Thomas, or Kennedy get replaced by a liberal justice you'd likely see a 5-4 decision voiding Heller and returning jurisprudence to where it was previous with ownership of a firearm not being an individual right. If opinion swings hard enough we might see a case declaring that the 2nd only prevents the Federal Govt banning firearms for officially organized militias such as the state National Guard or police forces, essentially rendering it meaningless to the average person.

Don't forget that the NRA packed the Judicial Committee as well to ensure that they'd get judges friendly to their views picked.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Congratulations to Texas on its new open carry law.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

Congratulations to Texas on its new open carry law.

Is that...is that...?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

mdemone posted:

Is that...is that...?

Yes. Yes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Epic High Five posted:

Mostly people blame nothing because they try not to think about it

It's actually pretty uncommon for someone to react to something like Sandy Hook by blaming Obama. I know more people by far who believe it didn't happen than who blame Obama. These are the people guiding the GOP right now

Conservatives have gotten really loving crazy in the last 8 years, to the point that the GOP may not even have a candidate they can get the majority of right wingers behind

They don't need the right wingers to be behind said candidate, they just need them to not put forth a 3rd party option because wingnuts will march to the polls and vote en masse for Jeb!? at the end of the day since it means not letting a Dem win.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Technical Analysis posted:

Married to a cop, and in the academy. He's just as untouchable as she is.

I wonder who her code 2 is?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

computer parts posted:

I think what people are saying is that the single issue anti-gun control people are already radicalized against the Dems.

Like, it's been 3 years since Sandy Hook, it's not exactly a surprise that Obama wants gun control reform.

I'm not worried about the single issue anti-gun control people. I'm worried about the people who have gun control issues as one of a variety of major points. All you have to do is hit those points in the right way and you peel off some voters.

I know it is only one, but Cosmobot posted this poll and it is concerning.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

But is the round CHAMBERED HUH 'CLIP' boy?!

Safety is off hahah

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

I think what people are saying is that the single issue anti-gun control people are already radicalized against the Dems.

Like, it's been 3 years since Sandy Hook, it's not exactly a surprise that Obama wants gun control reform.

Take a page from the anti-abortion folks and make a bunch of signs with pictures of shot up elementary school kids on them.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

It was already legal to open carry rifles and shotguns, the new law allows for open carry of handguns.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nonsense posted:

But is the round CHAMBERED HUH 'CLIP' boy?!

Safety is off hahah

Keeping his powder dry :jerkbag:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SedanChair posted:

It was already legal to open carry rifles and shotguns, the new law allows for open carry of handguns.

Somehow that didn't improve my mood on it.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm excited for Texas because I want to see where this goes. While the idea of random shootings and other stupid poo poo (the "good guy" picking up his shells comes to mind) seems possible, I'm leaning towards "nothing".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
He probably has an empty chamber and the safety off so he can do the mr. tactical underhand chambering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvb2Sqvq34M

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I really do wonder what it's like going through life scared shitless of everything around yourself and having a baby dick. I probably work with at least 10 of that guy. I own a few guns but still don't get the loving reverence for them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

:siren: ALART :siren:

http://conservativetribune.com/armed-gangs-black-panthers/

Texas is besieged, send help!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Is the courthouse still a liberal pansy holdout and I can't bring any of my rifles in there?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Logikv9 posted:

Disagree (on the last part)

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx

The majority of voters (from a poll in 2013 for disclosure) would vote for a law that would require background checks, ban assault weapons, and limit ammunition magazine capacity. 55% of voters in 2015 would like stricter gun control laws, compared to 33% who don't want changes and a mere 11% who want less strict laws.

Gun control is a losing fight in most electoral races for the same reason that Republicans currently control the majority of state and local offices: voter apathy. You mostly have two groups, the older, more conservative, heavily pro-gun crowd who will vote mostly R in every election they can get their hands on, from the President to the local alderman. Then you have the younger, more liberal, less pro-gun crowd who won't give a gently caress and will vote in Presidential elections nearly exclusively. When a candidate from any party wants to become a senator/representative/governor, they need to start appealing more towards that older, more conservative demographic because honestly, that's the only group that's really voting. This is why you have plenty of Dems sitting on the other side for many issues. This is not even starting to mention the effect of millions of dollars pro-gun groups bring in, absolutely demolishing any other anti-gun group's efforts.

I hate to sound like a lot of people I would make fun of when they use this argument, but really this is an issue about voter apathy and turnout. I believe that the polls show a majority of voters care about gun control in a meaningful way. I'm not sure if they would make it their absolute #1 voting criteria, but if a Presidential candidate pushed for additional gun control measures they at the very least wouldn't suffer a net electoral loss.

I think it would be better to look at the Guns Historical Trend page for Gallup. It has nice breakdowns on questions they have asked over the years leading up to the latest results from October 17th, 2015.

The takeaway I get from looking at the numbers is that Americans want stricter gun control measures, but want to be able to own any type of gun if they want. The issue seems clear cut, but underneath people hold, surprise surprise, contradicting and complicated opinions. It is a quagmire issue.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the only good guns are my guns :smith:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

YES

FINALLY

I wish I wasn't in Indiana, I'd rent a gun or something and join them

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Astounding. :allears:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
wow you can't get more blantantly "rights for whites" than that article

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

wow you can't get more blantantly "rights for whites" than that article

The comments are rather insightful though. Why would you want their brillo pad scalps hanging on your wall as trophies? Excellent question good sir.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

There is no way this isn't a parody.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://koin.com/2014/10/07/man-practicing-open-carry-law-robbed-of-gun/

quote:

A man practicing his open carry right was robbed of the gun he was openly carrying.

William Coleman III was robbed of his Walter- brand P22 just after 2:00 a.m. October 4 in Gresham by a young man who asked him for it — and flashed his own weapon as persuasion.

Coleman, 21, was talking to his cousin in the 17200 block of NE Glisan St., after purchasing the handgun earlier that day, when a young man asked him for a cigarette, police said.

The man then asked about the gun, pulled a gun from his own waistband and said “”I like your gun. Give it to me.”

Coleman handed over the gun and the man fled on foot.

:lol::lol::lol:

edit

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

http://realorsatire.com/conservativetribune-com/

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 2, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvW_zBvJlsA

With a hint of:

http://thefifthcolumnnews.com/2015/...ferguson-march/

This is what I tried to drive home a thousand times in pharmacy. It doesn't matter if you have a gun if theirs is already in your face

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fknlo posted:

The comments are rather insightful though. Why would you want their brillo pad scalps hanging on your wall as trophies? Excellent question good sir.

Linking comments sections to facebook accounts is my favorite internet news evolution of the past like five years.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

"The Huey P. Newton Gun Club (really? You couldn’t even use H. Rap Brown or Stokely Carmichael as a namesake?) has been conducting armed drills in Dallas for some time now."

:lol: I am so pleased the conservative tribune has delivered this to us!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Suddenly everything is "paramilitary" and "armed drills." It's like they turned into Daily Kos.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol the whole thing is just right wing Upworthy.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sooooo, there was a massive lawsuit following this right?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol the whole thing is just right wing Upworthy.

I can't breathe. I also saw a "This one trick will get you a girlfriend every time"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

Sooooo, there was a massive lawsuit following this right?

Lol yeah, in another timeline maybe

Dude is lucky to be alive in this one

Btw he never got that gun back

• Locked thread