Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

If hero mechs were half off all the time I'm sure people would buy them

Hero mechs worth buying:

Pirates bane (locust with ECM)
X-5 (cicada with more SRMS)

????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

teepo posted:

i thought arms got this bonus? the last i remember, damage transfer was 40% for the first component and 20% for the second.

Yes they actually do, any extra damage after the arm gets shot off will go to the side torso minus whatever the damage reduction is.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Personally, the only thing I care about now that I have the Shadow Cat mastered are the paint jobs.

I wish PGI would let me buy them with C-Bills or as one-shot things. I would make the coolest paint schemes for my SCat ever. People on the other team wouldn't shoot me because they'd be so impressed with the color designs.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Oh, what should I be spending my general XP on?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Oh, what should I be spending my general XP on?

Modules.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Aussies sucx

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
What should my second unlock be after radar deprivation?
Also, I finally got my TOP DOG to Elite so if you have any cool builds please post them. Using this right now: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=289&l=e6aa273ba1e0dccdc713d183c38859e1259017bf

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

Hero mechs worth buying:

Pirates bane (locust with ECM)
X-5 (cicada with more SRMS)

????

I didn't say they were primo, best in class, I said people would buy them

Like do I want an oxide for 1k mc if I have some Christmas cash or grind it out? It's a lot easier to shell that out over the usual price

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

Seismic is useful on most robots, capture is good for lights if you're mostly doing quick matches, but even then conquest is generally not played much so YMMV, while 360 target retention is a pretty solid choice. I'd say the bigger issue is that modules are so expensive and radar deprivation so useful that you're better off spending your nickles on that so you don't have to swap em everywhere rather than on other less useful ones.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

TjyvTompa posted:

Also, I finally got my TOP DOG to Elite so if you have any cool builds please post them. Using this right now: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=289&l=e6aa273ba1e0dccdc713d183c38859e1259017bf

Seismic. unless your light, I run the targeting one in lights so I can identify weak points faster

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

DOMDOM posted:

lot of goons still playing?

thinking about reinstalling for 2016....

or please talk me out of it :(

WoL is near 200 members right now, the majority of whom are actively playing since the game suddenly got good again.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

ZenVulgarity posted:

People will immediately turn all their guns on you once they hear double ac20s going off I've found

Yes. And it doesn't last long, and it's not fast enough to act like a striker. Bah, still fun tho.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Skoll posted:

WoL is near 200 members right now, the majority of whom are actively playing since the game suddenly got good again.

Try 30-50 active in WoL, half being newbirds. I just don't want you getting pumped up (and inevitably dissapointed) when :pgi: patches and WoL goes back into maintenance mode.

Wounds like what CW currently is, lack of coherent vision for where the game experience is going, and the :10bux: gouging for robots, are hard to heal for many oldbirds.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I love that all the people arguing for Alpine to stay fall back on "Well, if all the players would just willingly ignore the most strategically advantageous spot on the map to fight elsewhere, it'd be wonderful!"

Good luck with that.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress snow murder hill

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004

DOMDOM posted:

lot of goons still playing?

thinking about reinstalling for 2016....

or please talk me out of it :(

do it and spend all your money

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Robot building tip time. LRMs are bad, and you should not use them. If you do use them, don't use them exclusively, and don't waste an assault spot on your team by building an assault LRM robot.

Solo queue is awesome if you don't give a gently caress. Make yourself a light mech that has either ECM or Radar Deprivation (or both) and do your own thing. Make an Ember with 4 flamers and 4 machine guns and go explore. Build a Spider with 12 jump jets and see how high you can climb. Grab a Locust and see if you can get 12 scouting bonuses before you die. Or, take a light that can do some real damage and go hunting LRM boats.

I found an Atlas DDC equipped with a Tag, LRMs, and ECM all by himself. Since LRMs can't hit anything within 190m, I just walked up to him, stood right in front of him, and shot one of his legs off. Then I just followed him around while he tried to limp himself to at least 190m away from me.

He was the last one left on the enemy team. Because he had ECM on, he didn't appear on the map. I was the only one on my team that knew where he was. I didn't volunteer his location. Instead, I just followed him around. I may have jumped on his head a couple times.

After a few more minutes, I let my team know where the LRM Atlas was. Shockingly, the first 3 teammates that arrived respected my request to not kill the Atlas right away. Instead, they just ran around him while he stood there being useless.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Lonjon posted:

Robot building tip time. LRMs are bad, and you should not use them. If you do use them, don't use them exclusively, and don't waste an assault spot on your team by building an assault LRM robot.

Solo queue is awesome if you don't give a gently caress. Make yourself a light mech that has either ECM or Radar Deprivation (or both) and do your own thing. Make an Ember with 4 flamers and 4 machine guns and go explore. Build a Spider with 12 jump jets and see how high you can climb. Grab a Locust and see if you can get 12 scouting bonuses before you die. Or, take a light that can do some real damage and go hunting LRM boats.

I found an Atlas DDC equipped with a Tag, LRMs, and ECM all by himself. Since LRMs can't hit anything within 190m, I just walked up to him, stood right in front of him, and shot one of his legs off. Then I just followed him around while he tried to limp himself to at least 190m away from me.

He was the last one left on the enemy team. Because he had ECM on, he didn't appear on the map. I was the only one on my team that knew where he was. I didn't volunteer his location. Instead, I just followed him around. I may have jumped on his head a couple times.

After a few more minutes, I let my team know where the LRM Atlas was. Shockingly, the first 3 teammates that arrived respected my request to not kill the Atlas right away. Instead, they just ran around him while he stood there being useless.

Know my next mech purchase.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pi In The Sky posted:

Know my next mech purchase.

It's going to be an LRM DDC, isn't it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lonjon posted:

ur good goon

e: what's your 6 SPL ACH build? I had to take the targeting computer and all the heatsinks off mine, which seems wrong

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

A.o.D. posted:

It's going to be an LRM DDC, isn't it?

You know it! :):hf::black101:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Lonjon posted:

Robot building tip time. LRMs are bad, and you should not use them.

Played a game last night where the last guy alive on our team was a Huginn with 2 LRM 5s. He ran up to people and shot them point blank, ending up with a whopping damage total of 2 points.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bubbacub posted:

Played a game last night where the last guy alive on our team was a Huginn with 2 LRM 5s. He ran up to people and shot them point blank, ending up with a whopping damage total of 2 points.

Sometimes it feels mean shooting people like this but I do it anyway :smith:

On now if anyone wants a unit invite.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Bubbacub posted:

I still stand by my decision that the only acceptable LRM boat is a medium, and that is the Hunchback 4J.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

armchairyoda posted:

Try 30-50 active in WoL, half being newbirds. I just don't want you getting pumped up (and inevitably dissapointed) when :pgi: patches and WoL goes back into maintenance mode.

Wounds like what CW currently is, lack of coherent vision for where the game experience is going, and the :10bux: gouging for robots, are hard to heal for many oldbirds.

Look through the member list and anyone who actually has the Liao avatar has been active as of recent. The people with Lone Wolf avs are the ones who haven't or won't come back. Not saying I don't agree with you, but we should enjoy it while it lasts.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I chased an Ebon Jag for a solid 5 minutes on Forest Colony as the last person alive in my zombie'd Ghostdad while he was in chat bitching about how I was dragging the game out. :psyduck:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Most of the time on my catapult i am using my medium lasers

I think I use my LRMs to hit very idle laser snipers

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Since the UI is poo poo in the mechlab, and the quirks system isn't totally explained AND I don't know a lot about clan mechs:

Are the quirks tied to the CT of the variant you want to run? I bought a TBR-S because everyone 'gasms about it and dunno which variant to purchase next to work towards the mastery. If the quirks are tied to the omnipods that would make more sense, but yeah I can't find anymore info on it. Probably gonna run lasers on it. Ohyeah, I figure the TBR with no CT mounted weps is the worst one.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 2, 2016

ipeelscats
May 7, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I would like one. IGN Fred Fredburger

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

My favorite thing about rolling in on enemy butts in this SRM Grffin 2N is when some pubbie kitfox by my side fires on them from 600M out, accomplishing nothing but getting me killed

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endbuster posted:

Are the quirks tied to the CT of the variant you want to run?

Nope, tied to the omnipods, and they apparently apply to everything even if you have them on a single omnipod out of your whole mech, or so I was told.

What I'd love to know is what happens when you have multiple omnipods with penalties/bonuses to the same stats, do they stack or does it just take the highest?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

sebmojo posted:

ur good goon

e: what's your 6 SPL ACH build? I had to take the targeting computer and all the heatsinks off mine, which seems wrong

This is pretty much the standard 6spl cheeter. I'm not sure what compromises you're trying to make, as it has enough tonnage for all the guns, an extra DHS, full armor, and the ECM component.

Alternatively, you could replace the extra DHS for a targeting computer. Both options are basically equally viable.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 3, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I need one

I am :siren: Starbringer :siren:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Shooting people in the dick with four srm4s as the Oxide is really fun

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Lonjon posted:

LRMs are bad, and you should not use them. If you do use them, don't use them exclusively[...]

Endbuster posted:

I still stand by my decision that the only acceptable LRM boat is a medium, and that is the Hunchback 4J.

The sole exception to this is the Trebuchet 7M, which you can and frankly should run with 2x LRM15 + A., BAP, and a TAG and nothing else. poo poo is bonkers if you use it right and don't end up in a situation on HPG or Crimson Straight where the enemy team is squatting indoors.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 3, 2016

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Nope, tied to the omnipods, and they apparently apply to everything even if you have them on a single omnipod out of your whole mech, or so I was told.

What I'd love to know is what happens when you have multiple omnipods with penalties/bonuses to the same stats, do they stack or does it just take the highest?

Omnipod bonuses stack.

This is why it can be a terrible idea to run the Dire Wolf Prime arms. That's a huge nerf to laser cool down.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 3, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ZenVulgarity posted:

I need one

I am :siren: Starbringer :siren:

Sent to you and fred. Send me a hello message so you show up on the retarded social panel.

In general, just add me as a friend and I'll unit you, it cuts out a few steps.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I clutched out another game with my Sniper Cat:

I really feel like I've found my niche in this game.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Love Stole the Day posted:

I clutched out another game with my Sniper Cat:

I really feel like I've found my niche in this game.

dude is a quality SHC pilot to the point where I'm reconsidering how good it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Endbuster posted:

Since the UI is poo poo in the mechlab

it is so, so much better than it used to be. so much.

^^ thanks for the ACH build, for some reason one of my torso DHS was greyed out so I wasn't seeing it.

Pattonesque posted:

dude is a quality SHC pilot to the point where I'm reconsidering how good it is

also v funny when he gets on the mic with his DJ voice doing robot traffic reports

• Locked thread