Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I would like a Pictomania expansion ever so much. Just more cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I was thinking of getting one or both of the Twilight Imperium 3 expansions, but I am a little apprehensive about the second one. The first one seems essential, making the game 8 players and all, but the second one only seems to add stuff for a special scenario. I doubt I will play this game more than a few times a year, so I don't really think I will ever bother with a special scenario.

Does the second expansiom add anything else that would justify getting it (keeping in mind it's pricy enough that I could buy an entire new game instead)

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Codenames ethics qustion: I am trying to clue pirate and tiger. I use the clue "baseballs", for the team names, but I made it plural to indicate that they should be thinking of plural nouns (i.e. the Pirates and the Tigers). Does this violate the rule about clues relating to the word itself rather than the meaning of the word?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Codenames ethics qustion: I am trying to clue pirate and tiger. I use the clue "baseballs", for the team names, but I made it plural to indicate that they should be thinking of plural nouns (i.e. the Pirates and the Tigers). Does this violate the rule about clues relating to the word itself rather than the meaning of the word?

I don't think it does - if nothing else, teams go through a lot of baseballs!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Try to avoid doing stuff like that (making something plural to hint at plurality is similar to rhyming, in that sense). On the other hand, if I were guessing, I'd actually be less inclined to pick a team name and more inclined to pick something related to an actual baseball since you specified the balls themselves instead of the sport.

Nobody would, should, or could call you on that in game, but it's still something to avoid if you can.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
The cheating doesn't happen on the first time you use such a clue. It's when you explain what you did afterwards that you're actually cheating. From then on, you've made sort of a contract (like in Bridge) with your team on how they should interpret your clues, which adds more information to your clues than is allowed by the rules of the game. That said, this is such a corner case (it won't come up often) that I don't think it will matter. But hypothetically speaking, I'm sure with enough of these contracts established, you can start to get an edge over spymasters that don't use them.

Edit: ah, found one. There are 40 or so key cards in the game. Assign a word to each of them. You can convey each of the possible orientations by saying 11, 12, 13 or 14. For instance, aardvark: 12 denotes the first key card, rotated 90° clockwise. Congratulations, your team of savants guesses all of your words on their first turn!

theroachman fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 2, 2016

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

It's great. Are you familiar with the rules and gameplay and just looking for impressions? It plays fast, and it's easy to teach. In action it plays like a more free-form and open Kemet. You spend rage to do actions and that is the only thing limiting you, you can repeat them any number of times each round as long as you have rage. Drafting cards each round also mimics Kemet's tiles, but without the economic juggling and planning needed to do well. Combat is simple but engaging, and I like that others can move in to defend against your pillages and that losers keep the cards they used in battle, encouraging further actions that round.

My only beef with it after two plays is that the monster expansions were Kickstarter exclusives, but the Gods and Mystics weren't so that's still two modules of content you can add. I also don't like that the 5th player expansion is separate, but I get hat t was to cut costs on the base box. Some combos of cards are really strong, but that's kinda the whole point of a drafting game, not letting any one person get all the best cards, etc.

I played it and really liked it, I just read some reviews complaining about optimal strategies always winning and wanted to see if any cracks come up after multiple plays ((I crushed with a final combo of ice troll + Repillage for 2 rage)).

With the re-pillage card can you realy re-pillage more than once?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Rutibex posted:

So I was thinking of getting one or both of the Twilight Imperium 3 expansions, but I am a little apprehensive about the second one. The first one seems essential, making the game 8 players and all, but the second one only seems to add stuff for a special scenario. I doubt I will play this game more than a few times a year, so I don't really think I will ever bother with a special scenario.

Does the second expansiom add anything else that would justify getting it (keeping in mind it's pricy enough that I could buy an entire new game instead)

The second expansion does add a ton more stuff outside the scenario (which I've never even tried) but it's not as important as the first. Most notable for me are the race flagships and technologies which rebalance the races somewhat, particularly boosting weaker ones. The new races are good too but are different enough you may not want to use them with new players.

The other stuff is mostly take it or leave it, IMO, we have used mercenaries and mechanized units once or twice.

There is a TI3 thread somewhere in TG which has a lot of useful info on the expansions and other stuff - it's worth looking at.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 2, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blamestorm posted:

The second expansion does add a ton more stuff outside the scenario (which I've never even tried) but it's not as important as the first. Most notable for me are the race flagships and technologies which rebalance the races somewhat, particularly boosting weaker ones. The new races are good too but are different enough you may not want to use them with new players.

The other stuff is mostly take it or leave it, IMO, we have used mercenaries and mechanized units once or twice.

There is a TI3 thread somewhere in TG which has a lot of useful info on the expansions and other stuff - it's worth looking at.

Ah, cool thanks! Thats what i was expecting, a few odds and end that help out balance doesnt seem worth it, and there is something to be said for keeping the game simple and not bogging it down woth too many sub-systems. I didn't know there was a TI3 thread I will check it out.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Stormgale posted:

Speaking of, what do people think of Blood Rage

It's good, but not great. It's fast, and entertaining, and obviously looks amazing. However, drafting is not conducive to developing overall strategy. It's entirely possible to win or lose based on what combos bubble up through the draft (Fenrir from the kickstarter exclusives is especially gamebreaking) and combat is too heavily determined by gotcha cards. Despite that, it's still enjoyable. I'd rather play Kemet, Cyclades or Chaos in the Old World for that sort of experience though.

Rutibex - First expansion essential, second if you've decided you're all in with TwiImp

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

The End posted:

However, drafting is not conducive to developing overall strategy.

What? Drafting is precisely how you develope your strategy and differentiate your clan from the rest. Hate drafting from others is no different than buying tiles to block in Kemet, it's often a matter of balancing what you want vs what you don't want your opponent to have. Would you say there's no strategy in 7 Wonders?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
What I mean is a coherent strategy for the whole game. drafting dictates your strategy to you (which can be fine), whereas Kemet lets you choose your path. (Which I think is more important in an area control game.)

It often leads to a very rocky power curve, and if you're unlucky, you have a bunch of disparate powers and monsters

I like my area control to be more determined at the tactical level and less at the strategic

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
This thread made me feeling like a newb for liking Star Realms so much but simultaneously more excited about the upcoming Puzzle Strike iOS app (hoping that they listen to people's complaints about the user interface from the Steam version). Problem is, my board gaming buddy can't beat me at SR but kicks my butt at PS.

After PS, we played Valley of the Kings. It seems like it'll be harder to play a deck builder without useful actions on the starter cards now, and this includes every other deck builder that I've played thus far. I see why its designer brags about it being the best. Sounds like the expansion Afterlife is worthwhile, too, and the base game is so cheap, I'm grabbing both. This is actually the first deck builder I've bought myself!

Unrelatedly, does anybody know a good board game based around creating nonsense sentences? I'm thinking of Sentence Wars, a free iOS app with identical (as far as I can tell) mechanics to Letterpress. I'm awful at Scrabble etc. but I'm quite good at inventive grammar, so it'd be really appealing to play something in-person that's like that. (PS download the app and challenge me at Mortley88)

Mortley fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 3, 2016

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hey goons, is La Granja good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Finally got to play a complete, full game of Star Wars: Armada. I played Imperials, with a vicstar deuce, an impstar deuce, and 9 squadrons of TIEs (400 point game so I could field anything after the destroyers). He played the big mon cal ship along with two nebulon b's and two corvettes, and a bunch of bombers.

I managed to get my vicstars main guns on one of each of the smaller ships and literally blew them to misshapen metal in one shot each; turns out 4 red dice and 3 blue dice can do a lot of damage against something with only 6 effective hit points. I managed to get his fighters down by using the upgrade that lets me, when firing on squadrons, reduce one of my friendly fighters to damage the one I was firing on, and then sent the dude that damages any squad he engages with in. Won by a healthy margin, even though he took down my vicstar.

Really really fun, I am 100% sure I enjoy armada more than x-wing (not that it's a better game, that it's more intuitive and fun for me), and holy poo poo star destroyers do so much goddamn damage with their forward guns.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Today I played Martin Wallace's Rise of Empires, a little known and heralded 2009 civ builder. It's crazy abstract, only one level removed from Through the Ages (which I maintain is a terrible game) in that there is actually a world map.

It was excellent, and I am excited to play it again.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Dirk the Average posted:

Try to avoid doing stuff like that (making something plural to hint at plurality is similar to rhyming, in that sense). On the other hand, if I were guessing, I'd actually be less inclined to pick a team name and more inclined to pick something related to an actual baseball since you specified the balls themselves instead of the sport.

Nobody would, should, or could call you on that in game, but it's still something to avoid if you can.

I think I actually did "baseballs 4," with the other 2 being more obvious ones that did not hinge on the word being plural. I think I agree with you though that it probably wasn't permissable. As karma would have it, turns out I misread the card and pirate was actually the assassin.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

Yes, I hear about kill cars all the time.

Crash is a minor concern still, but anyone can associate anything with almost anything else if they want to stretch it enough. The aim is to make the connections obvious so your team won't stretch. "Killing an engine" and "contract killing" are more ready associations than "kill crash" for most people, I expect (so it should probably be Killing: 2 rather than Kill: 2).

Car crashes kill people...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mortley posted:

Unrelatedly, does anybody know a good board game based around creating nonsense sentences? I'm thinking of Sentence Wars, a free iOS app with identical (as far as I can tell) mechanics to Letterpress. I'm awful at Scrabble etc. but I'm quite good at inventive grammar, so it'd be really appealing to play something in-person that's like that. (PS download the app and challenge me at Mortley88)

Not exactly what you are after, but the closest game I could think of:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24304/unspeakable-words
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU9FzW5QyEg

EBag
May 18, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Hey goons, is La Granja good.

Yah, if you like fairly dry mid weight euros, one of my favorite games to come out last year. It's uses a mix of various mechanics but they all tie together pretty well and the multi-use cards are fun and make for a lot of variability. There's also some subtle interaction between the dice draft and competing for the various markets, and has a nice engine building feel to it.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Thanks, but that seems like it's still fundamentally Scrabble-based in its mechanics (use letters to make words) and not a game for sentence-building.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Has anyone seen a strategy in Blood Rage that beats "Eternal Dragons" + "Freya's Domain?" I.E. blow up your own boat for 12 xp each time, bring it back from Valhalla for one rage, gain ~36 points in a round.

At our table it's always been part of the winning strategy. (I came close with some Loki losses and some Fire Giant victories). There was a misdraft so we restarted; I could've won if I got Glorious Death 2x and Odin's Throne (Which would give me 48 VP for letting four of my guys die).

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Rutibex posted:

:siren: DO NOT PLAY TWILIGHT IMPERIUM 8 PLAYER :siren:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Do not play Twilight Imperium 8 player unless you are awesome and cool board gamers truly prepared for an epic experience.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
My girlfriend and I are having a good time with Lost Cities the card game, anything somewhat similar but still different enough to be it's own thing that I should look into?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jaipur is really good.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Chomp8645 posted:

Do not play Twilight Imperium 8 player unless you are awesome and cool board gamers truly prepared for an epic experience have 12 hours and are willing to give up on it when you don't finish it.

Fixed that for you. Saw this happen in college. Started at 10 or 11 or so. Took the spot of a player that had to leave at 6PM. Game had to end because they were closing the building around 11, IIRC. This might have been only 7 players, I honestly don't remember. Suffice it to say, it was boring as poo poo.

Bottom Liner posted:

Jaipur is really good.

Seconded. It is really growing in my esteem the more I play it, even though it is so very simple.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Magnetic North posted:

Fixed that for you. Saw this happen in college. Started at 10 or 11 or so. Took the spot of a player that had to leave at 6PM. Game had to end because they were closing the building around 11, IIRC. This might have been only 7 players, I honestly don't remember. Suffice it to say, it was boring as poo poo.

Sorry but my instructions call for awesome and cool board gamers prepared for an epic experience. Clearly you did not have those, as only a total scrub would sit down to Twilight Imperium knowing they had to leave at 6 PM.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

crondaily posted:

My girlfriend and I are having a good time with Lost Cities the card game, anything somewhat similar but still different enough to be it's own thing that I should look into?

Also check out Patchwork. Another fantastic 2 player. It's an elegant and simple blend of economy management and puzzly tile laying.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MikeCrotch posted:

:siren: DO NOT PLAY TWILIGHT IMPERIUM 8 PLAYER :siren:

Normally I would care about game play time, but with TI3 I consider the length to be a bonus. I would only be playing it with a group who are used to weekend long mega D&D games and LAN parties.

EBag
May 18, 2006

crondaily posted:

Everyone always says Jaipur but Battle Line is what you really want.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

EBag posted:

Everyone always says Jaipur but Battle Line is what you really want.

Battle Line is amazing but it's also been hit or miss with people I've taught it to, whereas Jaipur is universally loved.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Chomp8645 posted:

Sorry but my instructions call for awesome and cool board gamers prepared for an epic experience. Clearly you did not have those, as only a total scrub would sit down to Twilight Imperium knowing they had to leave at 6 PM.

To be fair to the guy, it was 2005. I don't think he knew what he was getting into. (I didn't either but that is why I didn't play until they just needed a body.)

e: Actually, I must be misremembering because I think TI3 can only take 6 without the expansion? Maybe it was only 6.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 3, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Magnetic North posted:

To be fair to the guy, it was 2005. I don't think he knew what he was getting into. (I didn't either but that is why I didn't play until they just needed a body.)

Ah, the error was theirs then. A person should never be recruited to TI3 as a "filler". Everyone should know exactly what they are getting into or the whole thing is doomed to collapse.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I think Battle Line is a better direct comparison to Lost Cities if what you really liked about it was the numbers stuff.

Jaipur is easily my favorite quick 2 player set collection type card game though. I'd recommend them both easily, but Jaipur will definitely feel more new after lots of Lost Cities.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Thanks guys!

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Do not play Twilight Imperium 8 player unless you are awesome and cool board gamers truly prepared for an epic experience.

And you can accept that you won't finish it and you will probably put at least one of the players off boardgames permanently.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mojo Jojo posted:

And you can accept that you won't finish it and you will probably put at least one of the players off boardgames permanently.

If they aren't new to board games then they won't be put off just because of one bad experience. If they are new then they shouldn't have been invited.

It always comes back to the host.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How well do you guys think kids are able to grasp deck building games? I've got a sort of nephew who's 13 and I think really smart, but not really educated (it's complicated) who also likes trains. I've got the game Trains that says ages 12 and up but I'm wondering if you guys think he'll be able to grasp the concept or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Should be fine, I taught Star Realms to my 8 and 9 year old cousins and they did well. Trains is a bit more complicated but he's 13 so he shouldn't have any problem.