Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

RandomPauI posted:

So, do you think he'd be Neutral Good or True Neutral?

He would put neutral on his character sheet but play neutral good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I'm going to throw in a big recommendation for "Eric's Guide to Ancient Egypt".

Since Eric has a PhD in history and egyptology he's obviously well versed in the literature and scholarship surrounding ancient Egypt but his podcast still has a very approachable and conversational style. He skips a rigidly chronological approach to the period in favor of more self-contained episodes discussing; e.g., Egyptian cannibalism or the age of the Sphinx. He also shares his thoughts on news stories such as the heat anomalies found on the Great Pyramid of Giza this Fall or on the recent announcement that the Egyptian government is almost positive they've found Queen Nefertiti's tomb. He brings a ton of fascinating observations to the table you just don't get watching a 5 minute news story with a 20 second sound bite from some random archaeologist. Give it a listen!

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 18, 2015

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend something like the TwiT podcasts but for american politics? My ignorance is shameful and highschool/community college goverment courses, snatches of NPR, and a Something Awful USPol thread that moves at blinding speed isn't going to cut it.

I'd accept that it might need to multiple podcasts for various biases/leanings, and also I'm in the south so that'd be the region I'd be interested in, but also anything at the federal level would be fine.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can anyone recommend something like the TwiT podcasts but for american politics? My ignorance is shameful and highschool/community college goverment courses, snatches of NPR, and a Something Awful USPol thread that moves at blinding speed isn't going to cut it.

I'd accept that it might need to multiple podcasts for various biases/leanings, and also I'm in the south so that'd be the region I'd be interested in, but also anything at the federal level would be fine.

"So That Happened" by Huffpo
"The Weeds" by Vox
"Political Gabfest" by Slate

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Jack B Nimble posted:

If you want some in-depth coverage of US history, I'd suggest courses from edx or Coursera. E.g. there's one on american capitalism (edx) I will look at once I've finished other stuff.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Malloreon posted:

"The Weeds" by Vox

Out of these, somehow only Weeds has stuck with me, even though it seems to be the wonkiest of the lot.

A great podcast on US election history is Whistlestop. It's just had a slightly irregular schedule lately since the host is also the host of Face the Nation.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wanna go ahead and throw out an anti-recommendation for "Unsolved: A Murdered Teen, a 40-year Mystery".

Let's start off by saying that it really really wants to be Serial. It REALLY wants to be Serial. And the host REALLY wants to be Sarah Koenig, but the problem is, she's not, and she doesn't have the appropriate training, skills or talent to be Koenig.

A couple problems:
-Every time she says the show's name, she says the subtitle, which you'd think wouldn't be that jarring, but it somehow is.

-The host doesn't know how to have a good radio voice. Koenig has some flaws, certainly, but for the most part, she's very listenable and professional. This girl's voice goes all over the fuckin' place, from ending sentences with that lilting Valley Girl thing where it sounds? Like a question? Even if she's not asking one? to copious amounts of vocal fry, to really... awkward pauses that seem to have no rhyme or reason why they do. These are just things you'd have trained out of you if you were to work in real radio, or take a buncha communications classes, but I suspect the host is a reporter and journalist first, and an on-air personality not at all, except for now.

-The host reexplains things laboriously every episode. There are a few topics that keep coming up, like the original medical examiner chucked a bunch of important things, the building where evidence was stored was a disaster, the cops didn't know about crime scene procedure back in the '70s, and that certain suspects are very suspicious but turn out to be innocent. Each one of those things are very important and deserve explanation... The first time they come up. When you're explaining something for the second time in one episode, when you already fully explained the entire story last episode, in a serialized, episodic show that really cannot have you skip around during listening, you're doing something wrong.

-It's not that interesting a crime, and it seems like the only reason it IS interesting is because not a lot of crime like this happens in Milwaukee. Yeah, this podcast is based out of Milwaukee, and so they really give a poo poo about this case, but here's the case:

A kid was murdered in the late '70s. There wasn't any continuing serial killer style murders, there wasn't a suspect who was possibly thrown into jail and is fighting to prove his innocence, there isn't a gigantic pool of suspects. A kid was killed and all of the evidence blew so they couldn't catch anyone and now it's 40 years later. It sucks that this kid died, but they're probably not gonna be able to provide any interesting resolution unless the actual killer is caught and he happens to have a Dexter-style blood slide or some poo poo.

I have an enormous amount of free time to listen to podcasts at work, so I don't consider this wasted time, I just kinda need things to occupy my brain while doing monotonous work. Don't go out of your way to listen to Unsolved unless, like me, you need to kill a few hours and don't really care what you listen to.

Unsolved is the Milwaukee version of Serial. And that's not a compliment.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Malloreon posted:

"The Weeds" by Vox

Thanks for this; it's not a comprehensive education on USA politics but it helps. The most recent weeds podcast on gentrification was my first look at the topic.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Chances are it has been mentioned but I am in love with Lore. It is basically a history about freighting tales and horror origins. The host has one of the best podcast voices I've heard. They are about 15-20 min a show based around one topic or story.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

PerilPastry posted:

I'm going to throw in a big recommendation for "Eric's Guide to Ancient Egypt".

Since Eric has a PhD in history and egyptology he's obviously well versed in the literature and scholarship surrounding ancient Egypt but his podcast still has a very approachable and conversational style. He skips a rigidly chronological approach to the period in favor of more self-contained episodes discussing; e.g., Egyptian cannibalism or the age of the Sphinx. He also shares his thoughts on news stories such as the heat anomalies found on the Great Pyramid of Giza this Fall or on the recent announcement that the Egyptian government is almost positive they've found Queen Nefertiti's tomb. He brings a ton of fascinating observations to the table you just don't get watching a 5 minute news story with a 20 second sound bite from some random archaeologist. Give it a listen!

I like this. The guy is very listenable and I like the format. I just wish he'd get rid of the obnoxious announcer guy at the start of the show.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Chances are it has been mentioned but I am in love with Lore. It is basically a history about freighting tales and horror origins. The host has one of the best podcast voices I've heard. They are about 15-20 min a show based around one topic or story.

I don't know, it has the same thing I dislike about other american radio shows from NPR. I know it's :eurosmug: as hell, but the only way I can describe it is as "jolly indulgence in simplistic worldviews". It's like my aunt invites me over for some tea and cookies and a blanket, while I listen to her feelgood stories of folksy wisdom & simple truths. That being said he has a nice voice.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Megazver posted:

I like this. The guy is very listenable and I like the format. I just wish he'd get rid of the obnoxious announcer guy at the start of the show.

Yeah, the hokey intro completely clashes with the conversational, down-to-earth style of the podcast. The announcer guy is also one nasally motherfucker.

Hope it doesn't scare too many people away from the podcast itself which is very rewarding and worthwhile.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

mike12345 posted:

I don't know, it has the same thing I dislike about other american radio shows from NPR. I know it's :eurosmug: as hell, but the only way I can describe it is as "jolly indulgence in simplistic worldviews". It's like my aunt invites me over for some tea and cookies and a blanket, while I listen to her feelgood stories of folksy wisdom & simple truths. That being said he has a nice voice.

I don't know if we're thinking of the same thing, but there's something about the accent/voice the guy from Lore has, and Ira Glass from NPR, that makes me think they're 20 years old, even though I just looked it up and Ira is 56.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't know if we're thinking of the same thing, but there's something about the accent/voice the guy from Lore has, and Ira Glass from NPR, that makes me think they're 20 years old, even though I just looked it up and Ira is 56.

maybe that guy, but I was getting more of a Terry Gross/Fresh Air vibe I think.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Maduo posted:

You guys are going in the opposite direction from what I'd want: Dan Carlin Reads Yahoo Answers.

Dan Carlin being a guest reader on the F-Plus would be amazing. We should find a way to make it happen. Especially one of the really gross/insane ones.

Of it would take six months to make and be five hours long.

But we still need to make it happen. :hist101:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Do any of the podcasters discussed here also maybe have good twitter feeds? I take a look at twitter from time to time, but usually abandon it after a couple of days. It's just too noisy.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Dan Carlin's usually has some pretty good history pictures and news

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

With some Christmas money I got myself the HH backlog. I just listened to episode one and it's so different and yet similar to what he's doing now. It's good nonetheless but the added sound effects are hokey, nice but hokey.

Very pleased with that purchase nonetheless.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I want to go back and relisten to Death Throes of the Republic to see how it's 'aged'. I remember it seeming so vast, so epic, but now with Blue Prints for Armageddon is it's like when you go look at heavy weight champ Jack Dempsey and find out he weighed 185 pounds.

Fake Edit - I just totaled it up and it was an hour and half an episode until I got to the last one which which was over five drat hours by itself. I don't remember but I bet he was like 'man I really gotta wrap this up even if it's a big episode' and then whelp. Still I just checked and Death Throes is about 13 hours and Blueprint for Armageddon is about 23.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jack B Nimble posted:

I want to go back and relisten to Death Throes of the Republic to see how it's 'aged'. I remember it seeming so vast, so epic, but now with Blue Prints for Armageddon is it's like when you go look at heavy weight champ Jack Dempsey and find out he weighed 185 pounds.

Fake Edit - I just totaled it up and it was an hour and half an episode until I got to the last one which which was over five drat hours by itself. I don't remember but I bet he was like 'man I really gotta wrap this up even if it's a big episode' and then whelp. Still I just checked and Death Throes is about 13 hours and Blueprint for Armageddon is about 23.

Death Throes is still my favorite HH series. if only because there's tons of political and cultural history in addition to the riveting military history. After I listened to it for the first time, I started gobbling up Tom Holland, Mary Beard, Will Durant, Adrian Goldsworthy, etc.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Death Throes is still my favorite HH series. if only because there's tons of political and cultural history in addition to the riveting military history. After I listened to it for the first time, I started gobbling up Tom Holland, Mary Beard, Will Durant, Adrian Goldsworthy, etc.

I really enjoyed Goldsworthy's Caesar, is Augustus as good? I normally only remember it exists when I'm browsing in a store which invariably only carries Caesar.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
A friend of mine bought me the Hardcore History back catalogue and I've been listening to old stuff, and it's amazing how much he talks about stuff that he does later, longer series' on. He did like two or three episodes talking about the Mongols and the Huns in his early show run, and then he did Wrath of the Khans. He did like two episodes on the beginning and ramifications of World War 1, and then does Blueprint. it's kinda cool seeing that he's been interested in these topics for a while. I'm also really digging Punic Nightmare.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah apparently the new episode is about the Persians and I just listened to his episode 5 I think where talks about them and the Greeks. It's nice to know he had the chance to get more indepth in subjects he really likes.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
To that end, I'd like a long-form series on the Cold War, but I can see how it's just too large a topic.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

To that end, I'd like a long-form series on the Cold War, but I can see how it's just too large a topic.

Yeah I'm always on the lookout for this, would love a 5 hour special on Indochina or the korean war.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd love for Dan to tackle any of the lesser-studied wars. Vietnam, Korea, 1812, Mexican... And those're just the American ones that come immediately to my coffee-deprived mind! I'd be down for anything from the rest of the world. Boer War, or the Sino-Japanese War, or some of the China/Japan stuff from way back when.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

We kid about how long his podcasts could be but this one would actually be over a thousand hours long.

On the other hand it might be the defining boxing analogy of the 20th century.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Antti posted:

On the other hand it might be the defining boxing analogy of the 20th century.

Rocky IV

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

rotinaj posted:

I'd love for Dan to tackle any of the lesser-studied wars. Vietnam, Korea, 1812, Mexican... And those're just the American ones that come immediately to my coffee-deprived mind! I'd be down for anything from the rest of the world. Boer War, or the Sino-Japanese War, or some of the China/Japan stuff from way back when.

American Peril was about the Spanish-American war, IIRC. It was a pretty good episode, he should do more like it.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

just make a dedicated HH thread already you monsters

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I don't think a podcast that does like 4 episodes a year really needs its own thread.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

This thread moves slow enough as it is, taking out HH would be very stupid.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

like every third post mentions carlin in some way so maybe make a carlin podcast thread??

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
This seems like a heavyweight prize fight of a debate right here...

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
You could make a double HH thread and have it for Hollywood Handbook as well.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I want Dan Carlin to tell me the history of Muhammed Ali or something. Or Mike Tyson. Watch him use World War 1 analogies to describe the fights.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Well just post about other podcasts instead!

I liked the Christmas episode of The Weeds a lot. The teenage pregnancy rate decrease really is staggering and there's actually a paper arguing that MTV shows portraying teenage single parenting as the living hell it is have been a factor. Although the show still feels painfully "we're all highly educated white people" in scope and tone, but I guess you can't have everything.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 2, 2016

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

One of his first episodes was about the Cold War, but he said a few times during it that it's still too fresh and too debatable to be a good topic for him.

In non-Carlin news, I've really been enjoying In Our Time lately. I love hearing people speak so passionately about their areas of expertise, especially when it's an area I've never thought about before. As a history buff I've learned a moderate amount from Carlin & Duncan, but I've learned way more from Melvyn Bragg and his revolving cast of guests.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

webmeister posted:

One of his first episodes was about the Cold War, but he said a few times during it that it's still too fresh and too debatable to be a good topic for him.

In non-Carlin news, I've really been enjoying In Our Time lately. I love hearing people spea-

That's very interesting what you are about to say, but we're out of time. Thanks for listening to In Our Time :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Back To 99 posted:

That's very interesting what you are about to say, but we're out of time. Thanks for listening to In Our Time :)

Scarily realistic.

On the less educational and more interesting trivia front, I'm quite enjoying Lore, which had been suggested by others here. It takes a curious historical subject and provides a bit of colourful commentary and some ambient music to tell a short story. It seems obviously inspired by The Memory Palace, which tends to be a little shorter, more sentimental and poetic.

I've also enjoyed Useless Information, which despite having next to no production budget, manages to pull oddities out of history (chiefly American mid-20th century). They also do an old radio ad every episode, which some might like. The Futility Closet has somewhat higher production values, although it's oddly a little less authoritative and has a slight obsession with lateral thinking puzzles.