Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

huhu posted:

http://palettegear.com/ this game across my news feed. Seemed pretty interesting until I checked the price tag. Nope.

That's pretty cool and I could see a lot of people who spend lots of time doing post work buying them, the build quality also looks really good. Heck, I'd be tempted; dinking around with little sliders in LR, even on a 30" monitor, is one of my least favourite parts of photography.

I was actually thinking of picking up a three-pedal USB setup on eBay and seeing if it helped much in my workflow (think mostly for sorting photos into keepers/not), dials/sliders would be a lot more useful for the actual editing.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

That looks cool but I'd be super skeptical of the reliability of the electronics.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I was actually thinking of picking up a three-pedal USB setup on eBay and seeing if it helped much in my workflow (think mostly for sorting photos into keepers/not), dials/sliders would be a lot more useful for the actual editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBdi-eMhKfk&hd=1

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

huhu posted:

http://palettegear.com/ this game across my news feed. Seemed pretty interesting until I checked the price tag. Nope.

I'm getting wood (edition). :awesome:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A literally perfect photo to sum up Britain - http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/the-creation-manchester-internet-reacts-10675641

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
If you want photos you've Favorited on Flickr, instagram, etc. to cycle for your background, I found this:
http://johnsad.ventures/software/backgroundswitcher/windows/

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I don't get the soundboard style Lightroom controls thing. Especially if there's only a couple of sliders. Like, what two sliders are you consistently using on every picture? Unless there is something I'm missing I feel like if you are touching the sliders enough to even think you need a LR DJ booth then you have severely hosed up at operating the camera.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Dren posted:

I don't get the soundboard style Lightroom controls thing. Especially if there's only a couple of sliders. Like, what two sliders are you consistently using on every picture? Unless there is something I'm missing I feel like if you are touching the sliders enough to even think you need a LR DJ booth then you have severely hosed up at operating the camera.

I see it's use, if you routinely make minute WB or color grading to single images a slider might speed your workflow up considerably. I'm intrigued by those arcade buttpns though because I currently have a mouse button profile setup for quick editing in LR (and CPO) so I can use the thumb buttons to cycle through and mark nonkeepers. I would rather use those buttons for tool hotkeys like I do in PS and having expandability would let me add other stuff to my workflow without adding an additional step.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Dren posted:

It's so you can move the clarity/HDR sliders to 100%, then use the physical sliders to move them to 200%. Then you will be crowned ALL POWERFUL KING OF FLICKR (COMMENT ONE LIKE THREE).

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

red19fire posted:

It's so you can move the clarity/HDR sliders to 100%, then use the physical sliders to move them to 200%. Then you will be crowned ALL POWERFUL KING OF FLICKR (COMMENT ONE LIKE THREE).

Can confirm, works as expected. Look at those tones, so rich. And the detail in those shadows? Just wonderful, absolutely wonderful.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You probably need to calibrate, that's clearly only 99% slider to the right. You might have received a malfunctioning unit.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Did the sliders to the right photographer exist during the days of the darkroom?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Calibrated correctly I believe. Didn't even realize there was a built in glitch mode.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

iSheep posted:

Did the sliders to the right photographer exist during the days of the darkroom?

http://www.moriyamadaido.com/english/

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
It would seem glitch mode broke SA's attachment feature. Let's try again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

8th-snype posted:

I see it's use, if you routinely make minute WB or color grading to single images a slider might speed your workflow up considerably. I'm intrigued by those arcade buttpns though because I currently have a mouse button profile setup for quick editing in LR (and CPO) so I can use the thumb buttons to cycle through and mark nonkeepers. I would rather use those buttons for tool hotkeys like I do in PS and having expandability would let me add other stuff to my workflow without adding an additional step.

Hate doing that with the mouse, I use the keyboard, but I get why you might want a button for doing that. It's the sliders that are weird to me.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Shooting nightclubs and concerts you sometimes have to drastically adjust the color temp and exposure every few photos. You can go from bright blue strobes lighting everything to a yellow spot and back in seconds. There are plenty of circumstances where lighting conditions change quickly and you don't have time to stop and adjust your settings.

I feel like the dials would be more intuitive than the sliders though.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i shot a roll of cinestill 800t outdoors and everything is so drat blue

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

i shot a roll of cinestill 800t outdoors and everything is so drat blue

No poo poo, it's tungsten film. What did you expect?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
100mp medium format camera. Time to dig around for change down the back of the sofa...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pablo Bluth posted:

100mp medium format camera. Time to dig around for change down the back of the sofa...

Doesn't include any filter effects, not interested.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I'm quite happy with the 16 mp I have right now thanks.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Pablo Bluth posted:

The bigger news here to me is that it's (reasonably close to) a full 645 frame. I wonder if I'll get a digital 6x7 before I die...

iSheep posted:

See: Lillian Bassman who went apeshit with dodging/burning.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Shooting nightclubs and concerts you sometimes have to drastically adjust the color temp and exposure every few photos. You can go from bright blue strobes lighting everything to a yellow spot and back in seconds. There are plenty of circumstances where lighting conditions change quickly and you don't have time to stop and adjust your settings.

I feel like the dials would be more intuitive than the sliders though.

I think you're overthinking it. No one really cares if a concert or nightclub photo comes out exactly colour balanced as it was in real life. The lighting is so crazy at those events that it's not even worth worrying about. The question is more whether the lighting is so crappy (all green stage lights, what a great idea!) that you should convert to black and white or keep it in colour. In shooting years of concerts, I don't think I've ever touched the white balance sliders.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

HPL posted:

No one really cares if a concert or nightclub photo comes out exactly colour balanced as it was in real life.

I do. And it's less about color accuracy and more about counteracting yellow/blue lighting to get normal skin tones. It doesn't always work and some photos still look best in black and white and some photos even look cool with harsh color casts but I still mess with white balance constantly.

But yeah, overthinking is probably an accurate word to describe how I edit anything.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I do. And it's less about color accuracy and more about counteracting yellow/blue lighting to get normal skin tones. It doesn't always work and some photos still look best in black and white and some photos even look cool with harsh color casts but I still mess with white balance constantly.

But yeah, overthinking is probably an accurate word to describe how I edit anything.

I get bothered by a lot of stuff too but then I ask myself if the people viewing my photos give a poo poo and I would say 99.999999% of them don't. Concert photography is more about emotion and capturing the moment as opposed to technical perfection and really, unless you're showing photos to other photographers, the regular public miss a ton of details.

A perfect example is when I get a burst of three shots and the one with perfect composition is blurry and the other two are clear but just before and just after the perfect moment. It kills me that I can't use the shot I want, but then again no one but me ever sees it so no one's the wiser if I use either of the other shots.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

That's how I approach poo poo I don't care about, or how I manage to get paid gigs with deadlines done on time, but when it's something I personally care about then I'd rather spend the time on it to make myself happy. I mean if you're going to measure your work by "is this going to impress the average person who doesn't know poo poo about photography" you could just throw your camera in full auto and not even edit at all and do okay. And yeah emotion is the most important element of concert photography (and pretty much all photography involving people), but I try to challenge myself to get good emotion shots that are also technically on point.

It all comes down to personal preference, though. If the entire world told me a photo I hated was awesome I would still think it sucked. I was just trying to explain why a person might be using sliders more often than someone shooting all natural light or carefully setup studio shoots or whatever.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I used to mess with WB constantly when I shot concerts for school, then someone said not to worry about it, keep it on 5600k. It was probably even a goon here, but the reasoning was that if the stage is bathed in blue, the viewer is going to understand why the singer/guitarist/whoever is blue. Inventing perfect skin tones that weren't present is almost like cheating the viewer by presenting an inauthentic scene.

All photos are bad, do what you want, who cares :unsmith:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
The Only Moral HDR Is My HDR :colbert:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

red19fire posted:

All photos are bad, do what you want, who cares :unsmith:

I want to be an autist about photo editing.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
If any of you should happen to be in Iceland on January 30th, you can sign up now for a free walk with some Nat Geo photographers here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/national-geographic-yourshotmeetup-iceland-registration-20125402621

P.S. I hate you if you get one of the 10 positions.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Awesome, I just spent $1300 on printer ink thanks to a store fuckup.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InternetJunky posted:

Awesome, I just spent $1300 on printer ink thanks to a store fuckup.

You bought an extra cartridge?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

spog posted:

You bought an extra cartridge?
Apparently "cancel my order" means something different to this store. I doubt I can use that much ink this year but even if I could that's an expense I could have done without right now.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

InternetJunky posted:

Apparently "cancel my order" means something different to this store. I doubt I can use that much ink this year but even if I could that's an expense I could have done without right now.

May I be the first to suggest perhaps returning your $1,300 order that you could do without? You aren't responsible for their gently caress up, if they give you poo poo then tell them you are returning the stock and having your CC company preform a chargeback.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/corp/press_center/Kodak_Launches_Super_8_Filmmaking_Revival_Initiative_at_CES_2016/default.htm

http://www.kodak.com/ek/us/en/consumer/products/super8/default.htm

:hawaaaafap:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm not normally one to crap on ideas, but this seems like a bad idea. It's the kind of thing people will latch on to for a few months out of novelty and then quickly abandon it when they figure out what a pain in the rear end it is. The cartridges hold about two and a half minutes each and will cost $50-75 per cartridge. If you're an indie film maker, you're going to blow your budget just on film stock alone, never mind having to mail everything back to Kodak and pray it a) turns out and b) doesn't get lost in the mail. I mean, all power to Kodak for trying something different, but I'm not seeing a lot of upside to this.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
what the hell is kodak thinking. this better not bankrupt them (again)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how they gave it an SD slot.

"Hmm, $70 for 3 minutes, or $15 for 16GB of storage that records an hour? Which should I choose??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

"There are some moments that digital just can't deliver, because it doesn't have the incomparable depth and beauty of film. These moments inspired Kodak to design a new generation of film cameras."

Could you give me an example of such a moment?