Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

corn in the bible posted:

It takes a rare gift to write a story that's predictable as hell while also being loving stupid thanks Sherlock writer man

Moffat.txt

I knew there was dumb what-a-tweest poo poo incoming as soon as they announced the setting for the episode. Still watched it, still got annoyed at myself for watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

lelandjs posted:

Moffat.txt

I knew there was dumb what-a-tweest poo poo incoming as soon as they announced the setting for the episode. Still watched it, still got annoyed at myself for watching it.

official theme of victorian sherlock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iPdxj5Kyc

it even has a scooby doo solution at the end

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

writers need to learn that IT IS A DREAM is not a valid excuse for making your story bad and stupid

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I liked when the man monologued about the virtues of women's suffrage to an all-women murder cult dressed in Klan robes.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I liked when the man monologued about the virtues of women's suffrage to an all-women murder cult dressed in Klan robes.

That was so tone-deaf that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Moffat belts out a single long off-key note when performing karaoke.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

it's ok because later moriarty says "this is stupid because it is a dream" so they didn't have to write good dialog

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

hollylolly posted:

Happy 2016 TVIV, can you please direct me to the cable cord cutting info thread that I'm sure is on this site somewhere, I just can't find it?

Or can you tell me if Sling TV is worth it and/or is it different from Slingbox because that confuses me a bit.

:negative: my directv bill is killing me

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490605

I found it :downs:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

while watching i tried to think of the worst resolution to the case as a joke and then later it turned out to be right

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So SyFy decided to ruin the New Year's Twilight Zone marathon by time compressing all the episodes. loving assholes.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We're about seven episodes into Prison Break Season 2 and still enjoying the silliness and insanity of it all. I like that they're not afraid to kill off major characters.

When it was on, were there lively discussion threads here? Did people generally like it? I get the impression T-Bag would have become an unlikely fan favorite and "breakout character" (no pun intended). And in Season 2, when Veronica Donovan and "Tweener" were killed off, was that because they were annoying or unpopular with viewers, or in the case of the former, the story arc was slowing down the momentum of the show? I didn't enjoy either very much, so I wondered if the showrunners interacted with their fan base at the time. I do miss Abruzzi, though.

I used to make the threads for Prison Break back when TVIV did threads for individual episodes and they always seemed pretty popular. The T-Bag love was definitely strong. Prison Break was actually one of the first serialized shows I got into so I have a lot of fondness for it, I thought it was great all the way to the end (ignore The Final Break tv movie, it's poo poo). Keep updating us on your progress!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I thought the setting would be interesting enough to put up with rear end in a top hat Holmes, but I've spent the last 40 minutes wishing I were watching an episode of the Jeremy Brett series instead, so I'm going to go do that. A cold Holmes is fine, but Sherlock's incarnation goes out of his way to be a dick.

Edit: okay, just before I turned it off a scene happened that seems so stupid I need to keep watching to see if I'm right. Is this all a breakdown in his memory palace or something?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 2, 2016

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bruceski posted:

I thought the setting would be interesting enough to put up with rear end in a top hat Holmes, but I've spent the last 40 minutes wishing I were watching an episode of the Jeremy Brett series instead, so I'm going to go do that. A cold Holmes is fine, but Sherlock's incarnation goes out of his way to be a dick.
You must have really hated House.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

You must have really hated House.

Didn't watch it much, but House had time to have a personality and be interesting. The number of episodes in procedurals may be problematic for some things, but it does allow time for characters to be more than a single personality quirk.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 2, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Having finished the episode I think I should clarify my kvetch. Sherlock has changed over the seasons, but it's been so long since I saw it and the episode started with Season 1 rear end in a top hat Holmes so it was easy to think that was how he still was.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bruceski posted:

Having finished the episode I think I should clarify my kvetch. Sherlock has changed over the seasons, but it's been so long since I saw it and the episode started with Season 1 rear end in a top hat Holmes so it was easy to think that was how he still was.
He actually hasn't really changed, he was still a huge rear end to Mycroft in the end. The only real difference between now and the start of the series is that he has someone he respects (Watson) and someone he fears (Moriarty). Outside of those two, he's still the exact same guy.

If you want a Sherlock show where he actually changes, watch Elementary.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If you want a Sherlock show where he actually changes, watch Elementary.

Agreed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
An example of him not being a complete rear end in a top hat in Elementary when he saw one of his friends was in pain he was willing to spend time with him.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Edit: okay, just before I turned it off a scene happened that seems so stupid I need to keep watching to see if I'm right. Is this all a breakdown in his memory palace or something?

yes, and also it's a bizarre feminist tract for some reason

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pan Dulce posted:

You know, this is the only site where I find this opinion and I completely agree with it. I have no idea why people love Sherlock so much. I tried it once and found myself drifting because it was so dry.

I don't think either one is great, but season 1 of Sherlock was pretty good and season 1 of Elementary was pretty bad, and they each proceeded to get worse / better over time.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Oof, the Sherlock special was crap. Give me Elementary over that poo poo any day.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

I don't think either one is great, but season 1 of Sherlock was pretty good and season 1 of Elementary was pretty bad, and they each proceeded to get worse / better over time.
Season 1 of Elementary was great, though??? I mean the pilot was kinda weak (i still hate that baseball scene,) but beyond that you had a loving amazing development of Sherlock and Watson's relationship.

corn in the bible posted:

yes, and also it's a bizarre feminist tract for some reason
And by "bizarre" you mean "completely misunderstands what feminism actually is," right?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
For anybody who cares, the first five episodes of LIP SYNC BATTLE this year are:

-Channing Tatum vs. Jenna Dewan
-Kevin Hart vs. Olivia Munn
-Anthony Anderson vs. Tracee Ellis Ross (!)
-Chris D'Elia vs. Brent Morin (!!)
-Nina Dobrev vs. Tim Tebow (?!)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I don't think TFF will survive the Tebow episode.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh, down the line there's also gonna be a Clark Gregg vs. Hayley Atwell episode, I imagine around March when ABC transitions from Agent Carter back to SHIELD.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So Netflix just showed me a preview screen (the coming soon for you thing) of something called Serenity which definitely had the Firefly ship in the background. I can't find anything on google though, are there any news about this anywhere?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nuclear War posted:

So Netflix just showed me a preview screen (the coming soon for you thing) of something called Serenity which definitely had the Firefly ship in the background. I can't find anything on google though, are there any news about this anywhere?

Have you just not been on the internet for the last 10 years?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
oh gently caress is it the movie? I'm such an idiot. I never saw that, and I was like 'hey, they remade the show, awesome'

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

How could you not find that on Google is my question

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Your Google-fu is extremely lacking and you should be ashamed.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
In fairness, forgetting about Serenity is a really good move.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Firefly and Serenity are both bad

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm sure this will be an excellent discussion.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

GreenNight posted:

I'm sure this will be an excellent discussion.

Only if people don't append the unwritten "IN MY OPINION" in 72 point type to all of the posts they read.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Firefly is okay and probably deserved to have gotten another season but I'm not exactly bummed that it didn't

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 2, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The entire mystique of Firefly is based on a mythical perfect second season that will never exist and couldn't possibly live up to expectations. If Firefly had a second season it would have been forgotten like Jericho was.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

wayfinder posted:

Only if people don't append the unwritten "IN MY OPINION" in 72 point type to all of the posts they read.

My apologies for the total amnesia you must've suffered just prior to this post.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Cowboy Bebop was the superior space western.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Ed is a way more annoying character than River on Firefly. So it's a wash.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Ed is a way more annoying character than River on Firefly. So it's a wash.

Ed at least had a couple of good episodes and had the decency to leave on her own as abruptly as she came. River was just a shameless plagiarism from Outlaw Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sleeveless posted:

Cowboy Bebop was the superior space western.

See you later, Space Cowboy...

Hakkesshu posted:

Firefly is okay and probably deserved to have gotten another season but I'm not exactly bummed that it didn't

^

Ravane fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 3, 2016

• Locked thread