Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Minidust posted:

That was it! I had to manually grant access to the media folder after I added/scanned it. Thanks! Which interface do you tend to use... the web page or one of the various apps?

I almost always use the android app as I listen to music on my phone a lot, the fact I can swipe for the next song makes me unreasonably happy. I still use Spotify mostly, but Spotify doesn't have all the music I have on my server, so I use Subsonic to fill in those gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Jehde posted:

I almost always use the android app as I listen to music on my phone a lot, the fact I can swipe for the next song makes me unreasonably happy. I still use Spotify mostly, but Spotify doesn't have all the music I have on my server, so I use Subsonic to fill in those gaps.

I definitely prefer Subsonic over Plex right now when it comes to music. What Android App are you using for Subsonic?

I'm moving to a new house this weekend and in the future plan putting a projector in my basement. How well does the RP2 work with PHT? I was thinking about hooking that up to my projector once I get everything setup.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Plex runs great on my wired connection to my PS4 and to the local TV where the server is connected (mac mini mid 1010, 2.4ghz core2duo, 4gb ram). However, wireless is laggy as hell and constantly buffers when playing to my Amazon Fire TV - I've played around with the playback settings from 4 mbps 720p to 1.5 mbps 480p with zero luck.

I've googled a bit on this subject with no luck, but it's pretty frustrating. Have any of you found a way to take care of an issue like this? Is there port forwarding available? Should I tell Comcast to send me a better router?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wireless is the devil, it's always such a pain in the rear end. Do you have any way of monitoring the connection and getting the stats? i.e. is it connecting on b/g/n, what's the transmit rate like, whats the rssi like etc. Is there a bunch of stuff between the two connections, like walls? Is your wireless access point a POS that came free with the connection?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wireless is the devil, it's always such a pain in the rear end. Do you have any way of monitoring the connection and getting the stats? i.e. is it connecting on b/g/n, what's the transmit rate like, whats the rssi like etc. Is there a bunch of stuff between the two connections, like walls? Is your wireless access point a POS that came free with the connection?

Looking at my laptop, I'm connected at 144 mbit/s which means I'm likely on an N connection.

The Strength Level seems to be strong throughout the house.

There are 2-3 walls between the router and my room where the Apple TV is.

Yes this is the basic comcast router, but I never had this issue in at my old apartment when I ran this system prior to the move.

I do have issues streaming netflix, hulu to the amazon-fire TV, so I wonder if the router has issues. I've been pushing my roommate to call Comcast and get the router replaced, but we'll see.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Regnevelc posted:

Plex runs great on my wired connection to my PS4 and to the local TV where the server is connected (mac mini mid 1010, 2.4ghz core2duo, 4gb ram). However, wireless is laggy as hell and constantly buffers when playing to my Amazon Fire TV - I've played around with the playback settings from 4 mbps 720p to 1.5 mbps 480p with zero luck.

I've googled a bit on this subject with no luck, but it's pretty frustrating. Have any of you found a way to take care of an issue like this? Is there port forwarding available? Should I tell Comcast to send me a better router?

Although I have a stronger server, yours should be able to handle it. I have no issues on a FireTV Stick, so I'd point my finger directly at the lovely router you're renting from your ISP.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have no issues with using fire tv on wifi and over remote connection then over wifi.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Nerdrock posted:

Although I have a stronger server, yours should be able to handle it. I have no issues on a FireTV Stick, so I'd point my finger directly at the lovely router you're renting from your ISP.

That's what i figured... I could buy a router and bridge the lovely ISP router to make things easier. I'm waiting for my roommate to get annoyed with all of my tinkering.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
For what it's worth, I had issues with buffering and frame skipping running Plex on my Fire Stick that I've never seen on my laptop, tv, or AppleTV (all wireless). The Fire Stick never had issues with Netflix or Prime Video, so I always chocked it up to the Fire Stick and Plex together.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
FWIW I am running the full sized Amazon Fire TV, not the stick.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

for me, the least reliable device for playback has been Chromecast.

The one issue I've had on the Fire Stick is that some files, albeit very few, have zero audio. Haven't been able to figure it out.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Is anyone using simplex on atv4? I just got it ($3, so whatever). The cover art takes annoyingly long to load.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My families ISP is the worst, and it appears they're traffic managing Plex usage as it doesn't matter what device I use (even through the secure connection) after a certain time period it just refuse to stream full stop. If I connect over 256bit VPN, surprise surprise it works fine (but it's not as convenient as means I have to use my laptop). Anything that can be done on my Apple TV (2015) to connect to my server that can trick the ISP into not being assholes?

e: Ooh changing the remote port to something not-standard might have actually worked. Fancy that.

Boo, doesn't appear to have done squat when connecting on the Apple TV. gently caress EE and their 'peak' hours of 1pm to 1am on a weekend, 4pm to 1am on a weekday.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 27, 2015

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Cornjob posted:

Is anyone using simplex on atv4? I just got it ($3, so whatever). The cover art takes annoyingly long to load.

Why aren't you using the real Plex app?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

TheScott2K posted:

Why aren't you using the real Plex app?

Its for my inlaws. The plex app is working fine, but Simplex is a bit more intuitive to use, IMO.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Its for my inlaws. The plex app is working fine, but Simplex is a bit more intuitive to use, IMO.

I thought about setting my inlaws' FireTV up with Plex and pointing it at my library. Glad I slept on it.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

TheScott2K posted:

I thought about setting my inlaws' FireTV up with Plex and pointing it at my library. Glad I slept on it.

The plex app on ftv is nothing like the plex app on atv.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cornjob posted:

The plex app on ftv is nothing like the plex app on atv.

My point was that bringing in-laws into one's piracy universe probably isn't worth the headaches.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

TheScott2K posted:

My point was that bringing in-laws into one's piracy universe probably isn't worth the headaches.

I'm sure they're just watching Big Buck Bunny.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've dabbled in the Plex app on an old Roku, but my music being in Apple Lossless format seems to cause problems. I've since uploaded everything to Google Music, and apparently there's a way to add a Plex channel that can access the music in your GM library. Is anyone familiar with how to set that up? The discussion I found on the subject seemed to have some outdated links.

Alternatively, is there a known way for Plex to transcode directly from Apple Lossless that would work for Roku? Seems any media library solution I try for Roku can only play the files MP3, so I assume ALAC is the issue.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone running the Plex App on their Samsung TV? I installed it on my new TV and it is constantly buffering. I jump over to my Roku and the same files has no problems. Not sure if it's the app or the way the TV is handling Wifi.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

calandryll posted:

Anyone running the Plex App on their Samsung TV? I installed it on my new TV and it is constantly buffering. I jump over to my Roku and the same files has no problems. Not sure if it's the app or the way the TV is handling Wifi.

Maybe your Samsung is forcing your server to do a transcode it can't keep up with? You might be able to experiment by disabling direct play and direct streaming in Plex on your Roku to try to force transcoding for it too (maybe also switch on burned in subtitles and try playing some content with subtitles on): https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204275243-Settings

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

My limited experience of the WiFi in smart TVs tells me you want to run a cable whenever possible, but do try to check there's not an encode problem as Bones says.
They seem pretty poor on consistent throughput - what's the bitrate of the media?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It really depends on the set and environment.
Last years top end Samsungs have 802.11 ac which is plenty fast for plex. More and more are getting it.

I find not having a quality wireless ap to be a bigger culprit, honestly.

calandryll posted:

Yes I run this when I visit my family. It uses a remote library. I turned down the bitrate/quality very low, got it stable, then bumped it up until I saw problems.

When I upgraded their wrt54g to a better router I was able to further increase bitrate.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 30, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anything that I own that is static is wired if possible, anything mobile I rely on wireless (so iPhone, laptop etc). Regardless of b/g/n/ac ratings, the hardware can still be utter garbage. Even if you can only wire up once to test, you can at least use it to eliminate/blame the wireless factor.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Agreed but taking a long rear end Ethernet cable across the house or through floors may not be possible and certainty isn't easier than starting with ratcheting down quality or changing direct play settings via remote to see if you can get it working

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

sellouts posted:

Agreed but taking a long rear end Ethernet cable across the house or through floors may not be possible and certainty isn't easier than starting with ratcheting down quality or changing direct play settings via remote to see if you can get it working

Could always opt to get powerline ethernet adapters.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

teagone posted:

Could always opt to get powerline ethernet adapters.

Yeah, this. They've really gotten good, I know quite a few people who use them with zero problems. Obviously it's down to the quality of the electrics in your house.

It's not a case of "never use wireless, it's the devil" it's "if you don't have to use wireless, go wired and it's one less thing to worry about".

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Last years top end Samsungs have 802.11 ac which is plenty fast for plex. More and more are getting it.

I find not having a quality wireless ap to be a bigger culprit, honestly.

Yes I run this when I visit my family. It uses a remote library. I turned down the bitrate/quality very low, got it stable, then bumped it up until I saw problems.

When I upgraded their wrt54g to a better router I was able to further increase bitrate.

What's really strange it's a freakin' XVID. Shouldn't be that hard to play the drat thing. I had played around with setting, direct stream, bit rates, etc. But no luck.

As for wireless, I'm running an Ubquiti's AP, didn't have really any problems with my desktop on wireless. I recently wired part of the house for ethernet, next step will be getting to that room. It's just a bit harder to get to.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

For some reason one of my Chromecasts has been making GBS threads the bed and causing the transcoder programme on my PC to spike to 100% during some videos and them to lag heaps. Any idea why this might be the case?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

sellouts posted:

Being technically compliant chipsetwise with the spec != having decent multi-directional antenna coverage or being well shielded from internal interference, or indeed from having a quality chip at all.
I'm not saying it's not possible, but it was a widespread complaint last time I did any looking (~14months or so ago) that inbuilt wifi sucked rear end if you were trying to exceed a few Mbits at any distance at all.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I'm trying to work out the best way to play files natively to reduce buffering gaps when rewinding or fast forwarding.

My primary player is Plex Home Theater on a Macbook pro which also serves as my server and has SMB mounts to a file server, so the files are basically local. Using a remote or my phone I can skip ahead or go back instantly. On Chromecast, web, phone players there is a 5-10 second pause anytime I rewind or FF, which often is not worth it when just going back to catch a word I missed or to instant replay something funny.

I don't expect the Macbook Pro to last much longer and might eventually have to move the server to a Windows/Linux server in a closet far away from the TV. Is there a way to make FF and RWD more responsive on other players? 2-3 seconds would probably work pretty well for most of my viewing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Khablam posted:

Being technically compliant chipsetwise with the spec != having decent multi-directional antenna coverage or being well shielded from internal interference, or indeed from having a quality chip at all.
I'm not saying it's not possible, but it was a widespread complaint last time I did any looking (~14months or so ago) that inbuilt wifi sucked rear end if you were trying to exceed a few Mbits at any distance at all.

Again, there are so many variables like the ones you point out. I get it, I have a ps4, I know that even in tyool 2015 devices with wifi can use poo poo chips.

My anecdotal evidence using 4 family member Samsungs was that the wifi was good enough for streaming what I would call medium and better quality via plex once I adjusted software settings. One situation where quality was on the lower end magically improved when they got a non-lovely router and better wifi coverage.

Wired is better, sure, but it's pretty easy to spend 0 dollars and 10 minutes of time futzing with quality to see if you can get it working first. Power line is a good next step if the problem persists. I'm just annoyed as hell when poo poo doesn't work so if I can get a fix that works even while I wait for new stuff to be ordered, I'm going to try it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

porkface posted:

I'm trying to work out the best way to play files natively to reduce buffering gaps when rewinding or fast forwarding.

My primary player is Plex Home Theater on a Macbook pro which also serves as my server and has SMB mounts to a file server, so the files are basically local. Using a remote or my phone I can skip ahead or go back instantly. On Chromecast, web, phone players there is a 5-10 second pause anytime I rewind or FF, which often is not worth it when just going back to catch a word I missed or to instant replay something funny.

I don't expect the Macbook Pro to last much longer and might eventually have to move the server to a Windows/Linux server in a closet far away from the TV. Is there a way to make FF and RWD more responsive on other players? 2-3 seconds would probably work pretty well for most of my viewing.

Transcoding is what's likely causing the buffering when you FF/RW. When casting from a device to your Chromecast, or viewing Plex from the web player or mobile app, be sure you're selecting "original" quality to ensure you can at least 'Direct Stream' content which should reduce the FF/RW buffer significantly. Do note being able to 'Direct Stream' is dependent on how your media was encoded.

That said, Plex recently introduced a feature that will allow you to optimize your media (basically create a pre-transcoded version of a file that exists alongside the original version) so that when viewing from a device that, for example, can't natively playback a DTS or AC3 audio track, your server will have another version that will allow that particular device to 'Direct Play' the video file, allowing for instant loading and zero buffer. More info on how to optimize your media here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/214079318-Media-Optimizer-Overview

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, this. They've really gotten good, I know quite a few people who use them with zero problems. Obviously it's down to the quality of the electrics in your house.

It's not a case of "never use wireless, it's the devil" it's "if you don't have to use wireless, go wired and it's one less thing to worry about".

Seconding the wireline adapters. I use wireless (802.11ac) at home for Plex and have never had issues, even playing 20mbit+ streams, but this is in a tiny condo.

A family member has a much larger house with a separated garage with a big room atop the garage that they have their TV, kind of a mini theater. I tried bridging a bunch of Apple Airport (802.11ac) routers together to get good signal in the theater for Plex and even though it seemed to "work", Plex would constantly pause & buffer, even if I cranked down the stream quality.

Bought a set of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3QPG1A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00 . Assumed they probably wouldn't work since the garage was presumably on a different circuit (?). They ended up being essentially plug and play. The adapter can pull a few hundred mbit from probably a football field away in an entirely different building. Plex can stream at full quality with 0 hiccups now (using one of the new Apple TVs as the Plex client).

Pretty impressed with the wireline adapters considering all of the terrible stories/reviews I'd heard it the past. Definitely recommend these if wireless is failing and you have no way of running ethernet directly.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have used 200 and now 500 mbit powerline adapters of varying brands and they have all worked flawlessly, even with each other. You lose a bit of bandwidth jumping circuits though. I have never understood why people complained - I've used them in multiple houses for the past 8 years of any age from 30 to 100 years old and they were all good (the oldest one working the best).

Make sure you use the WPS encryption otherwise a neighbor can very easily or unknowingly be using your internet connection.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I tried them out (the 8010s linked above), their throughput is alright but still far less than half of what they advertise. Tested in a new house, adjacent rooms, etc. The adapters themselves were bulky too and the units needed a few reboots over the course of a week for no real reason. The latency is better than wireless which is great if you just need a decent ping for gaming. I topped out at like 10MB/s which is fine for most peoples needs but I was beating it with 5ghz wireless over 3 floors. I ended up doing a run with cat5 which cost less than the adapters and took about an hour but I understand not everyone has that option.

They're not bad but I wouldn't really say they're good either, just adequate. Fine for most video streaming needs though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

In my experience every floor between units will half the bandwidth, especially if you have different floors on different circuits.

The advertised bandwidth is also a theoretical maximum much like wifi, but also you can only hit half of the advertised amount in one direction.

For example at my parents house my old room was only capable of pulling 12mbit as it was upstairs. Their tv and the computer connected to the router would hit the full 100mbit Internet or gbit to the server.

The N wireless in my iMac would max out the Internet connection on 2.4 or 5ghz but for whatever reason couldn't upload files to the server over wifi and downloading them was less than 50kbits.

I now just run anything that doesn't move on a gigabit switch on a powerline kit and anything that does uses wifi. My current house is a much shorter run and same circuit so it's basically a non issue.

Some of the devices do have software for checking bandwidth between units too. Netgear has the best in my experience. I'm currently using Netcomm 500mbit units.

The only bad ones I have used were edimax, which needed a reboot once a week and one of them eventually died.

They are discussed pretty thoroughly in the home networking thread in SH/SC if anyone wants more info

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex is driving me loopy these last few days, I'd open up a client and find that a bunch of episodes I've had in my library are in the 'recently added' list and a bunch of stuff I've not watched in ages is back in On Deck. It also made a show called '\' which seems to have about 500 episodes of random things from around my drives. It's only doing it to TV. I've deleted the library and started again, and some shows have been a complete arse (you go into it in the web view and it won't show a season list, do it in the main client and it will it just takes forever).

After starting the TV library afresh, things seemed OK and it didn't add the \ back... until this morning, and there it is again. And around 20 shows appear to be dropped based on numbers. It's like there's a shortcut link somewhere that it's scanning back to my drives, but I've scanned the drive and there's no such thing. It's like it knows I'm not going to be local to the machine going forward and it's doing its best to gently caress with me before I go.

The only thing I can think of is that the Library settings in the Server settings menu aren't ideal, what do most people have? I've tried every combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there a reason the plex android tv app decides to change the refresh rate for every video when you enable the setting? It makes it pretty useless because for 60p videos it looks like frames are dropping constantly or something to that effect.