Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Scruff McGruff posted:

:stare: Jesus, that dude needs to move. I was surprised by how many people that motion light in his carport deterred.

I don't know anything about Chilliwack but it looks like Sunnyvale trailer park with meth instead of weed and liquor. Those raccoons were cute though.

Where I live we typically have a rash of overnight car break-ins maybe 3-4 times a year max but it's not much of an actual problem (for me at least, aside from feeling somewhat uneasy/paranoid at the thought of people creeping around your property at night) as the people who are victimized are the same people not locking their cars at night with valuables in plain sight thinking that they live in Mayberry or just outright oblivious in terms of street smarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was walking the dog by the park when a pickup followed by a minivan pulled into the lot. The pickup had a flat tire, so I assumed they were stopping to change the tire, but they just pulled a u turn and started leaving. I flagged the pickup down and told him about the tire. "Yeah, I know. Thanks." Then they pulled back on the street and went the way they came with the minivan flashing his hazards to warn everyone.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Some dipshit like that did 5mph up Montvale Ave yesterday during lunch hour through Woburn and Stoneham, tire flapping everywhere, hazards on.

gently caress you buddy, pull off and deal with it, congrats on hosing traffic on an already-horrible street for the next hour. Montvale's enough of a horror show without your dumb rear end corking it up.

I hope slamming the rim into all those potholes turned it into a pretzel AND ruined his wheel bearing. rear end in a top hat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Nah, because by just cruising in the left lane, you're passively (or passive-aggressively) being an rear end in a top hat. By passing on the right, you are actively doing something that is considered dangerous.
It's the difference between pulling in specifically to pass someone, and just rolling on by because you were already in that lane.

I usually do the latter, but will do the former if necessary.

A lot of the time, you can blame crap junction design for these situations. For some reason, a lot of places seem to love to change what you inately expect the lane assignment to be, and then abandon you halfway round with no information that, no, actually, you can't use this lane to go straight on. Gets even better once stuff's old enough that the road markings are wearing off, and you can't read them in the wet.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

It's the difference between pulling in specifically to pass someone, and just rolling on by because you were already in that lane.

I usually do the latter, but will do the former if necessary.

Don't get me wrong, I do that too. And I've never heard about anyone who got a ticket for it.

E: Sometimes, traffic bunches up and slows down in the passing lane because there's a truck up ahead that everyone wants to overtake. In those situations I'll keep going at the speed limit in the now-empty "slow" lane, until I get to the truck up ahead, and then overtake it normally, by safely merging in and out of the passing lane. Repeat probably 8-10 times over the course of a 1-hour drive.

I have no idea why people insist on changing to the passing lane as soon as they see a truck on the horizon, but it happens all the goddamn time.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 31, 2015

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I have no idea why people insist on changing to the passing lane as soon as they see a truck on the horizon, but it happens all the goddamn time.

Same reason they merge as soon as they see the "Lane ends 1 mile ahead" sign

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

kastein posted:

Some dipshit like that did 5mph up Montvale Ave yesterday during lunch hour through Woburn and Stoneham, tire flapping everywhere, hazards on.

gently caress you buddy, pull off and deal with it, congrats on hosing traffic on an already-horrible street for the next hour. Montvale's enough of a horror show without your dumb rear end corking it up.

I hope slamming the rim into all those potholes turned it into a pretzel AND ruined his wheel bearing. rear end in a top hat.

Couldn't someone contact police about that? I mean, drat...you're close enough to see the flat, notify the driver, and they decide "meh, gently caress it", so they deserve a citation for endangering people. Just stupid the amount of people that will carelessly drive like that, let alone people who witness it and don't do anything about it. Same goes for accidents, if I see people pulled over on the shoulder with damaged cars, or witness someone wiping out, I call 911 - I'd rather be one of 48 calls about that person than not do anything at all.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
Just how long will a Sebring / Cirrus continue to run with no oil?

https://youtu.be/nJ0S_NJxVK0?t=170

Answer is unclear.

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 31, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://i.imgur.com/8ODdi5s.webm

:stonk:

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

:stonk:

holy gently caress

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

well, uh, white car won in the end

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

well, uh, white car won in the end

Not once the insurance companies get involved.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Deeters posted:

Same reason they merge as soon as they see the "Lane ends 1 mile ahead" sign

Been awhile since we had a nice zipper merge chat

It's clear there is only one proper way to merge, therefore

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

They fight and bite
And fight and bite and fight

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i've been a passenger in a "won't back down" situation like this, and it took me reaching over and turning the car off to bring them to their senses.

The downside being the other driver is going to come out of it feeling justified in their lovely actions, but chances are they'll be taken off the road by their own stupidity eventually anyways.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

I laughed when the white car still couldn't get ahead of the van even after ramming it. Or maybe by that point your priority changes from "assert dominance by getting ahead" to "assert dominance by loving the other guy up".

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

buttcrackmenace posted:

Answer is unclear.

ehh that really sucks to watch. that guys is obviously not well. :(

kinda surprised the guy didnt pick up on exactly what was really going on right away instead of sperging about oil loss for 8 mins

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Late to the flash to pass party, but I've always wondered if I could put a couple of bright orange flashing LEDs behind my center mirror or someplace inconspicuous and turn them on when the driver ahead of me isn't paying attention - like the orange lights on top of utility or railroad or flag vehicles. I'm not sure what the regulations are on that - I don't think it'd be impersonating an officer but it might run afoul of something else.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

buttcrackmenace posted:

Answer is unclear.

man what a badass he is with those wheelies at the end

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

blk posted:

Late to the flash to pass party, but I've always wondered if I could put a couple of bright orange flashing LEDs behind my center mirror or someplace inconspicuous and turn them on when the driver ahead of me isn't paying attention - like the orange lights on top of utility or railroad or flag vehicles. I'm not sure what the regulations are on that - I don't think it'd be impersonating an officer but it might run afoul of something else.

If you've fallen to this level, then you already have failed

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Enourmo posted:

man what a badass he is with those wheelies at the end

The illegal u-turns really endeared him to me.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

I've seen people get close to doing this here in the states because in their minds, being ahead even by one car = minutes off the route. Then there's also the mentality to be "right" or ahead of someone that pissed you off.

Honestly the minivan driver is an rear end in a top hat and blocking something fierce, putting the car it's behind in danger. A sudden stop and the guy is gonna have two cars hit its back bumper.

This looks to be possibly China? If so there's a real possibility that the white car is a rich person that will just pay off someone to not lose their license or make the van driver disappear.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Driving along Lake Michigan in Milwaukee this morning. Apparently there were a bunch of idiots swimming in the lake. Anyway, lots of people in the area to watch. Along the street, there were spots to parallel park, but must of been full. So, obviously, people just started parking wherever along the curb, including in the right hand travel lane where there were no parking spots. There was lots of traffic because people in the right lane had to keep switching lanes to avoid parked and empty cars just stopped in the road.

There were a ton of cops and I was surprised that they weren't ticketing everybody for easy money.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uthor posted:

Driving along Lake Michigan in Milwaukee this morning. Apparently there were a bunch of idiots swimming in the lake. Anyway, lots of people in the area to watch. Along the street, there were spots to parallel park, but must of been full. So, obviously, people just started parking wherever along the curb, including in the right hand travel lane where there were no parking spots. There was lots of traffic because people in the right lane had to keep switching lanes to avoid parked and empty cars just stopped in the road.

There were a ton of cops and I was surprised that they weren't ticketing everybody for easy money.

Uh... it was probably an organized Polar Bear Swim, with police there by request for the event

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Ringo Star Get posted:

This looks to be possibly China? If so there's a real possibility that the white car is a rich person that will just pay off someone to not lose their license or make the van driver disappear.

Japan with modern Euro-style plates, white car's being a dickhead while the kei's most likely a stubborn old man who doesn't give up. Go youtube with "ドライブレコーダー 事故・危険運転" to catch Japanese dash-cam videos

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrLonghair posted:

Japan with modern Euro-style plates, white car's being a dickhead while the kei's most likely a stubborn old man who doesn't give up. Go youtube with "ドライブレコーダー 事故・危険運転" to catch Japanese dash-cam videos
Japan drive on the left.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

InitialDave posted:

Japan drive on the left.

And now I remember that Euro-style plates are growing in popularity in China. And the sky isn't blue in the video!

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

MrLonghair posted:

And now I remember that Euro-style plates are growing in popularity in China. And the sky isn't blue in the video!

I bet it's Taiwan.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PCOS Bill posted:

Uh... it was probably an organized Polar Bear Swim, with police there by request for the event

Yeah, but that doesn't allow cars to just be left in the middle of the road and I'm surprised that the police allowed it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uthor posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't allow cars to just be left in the middle of the road and I'm surprised that the police allowed it.

There are a ton of rules that can be bent and broken for organized events, it's part of society that allows us to overlook a few things for the greater good, temporarily.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Then I'd be mad at the organizers for not just blocking off the entire lane of travel and putting up signage instead of "Oops, there's a random car left abandoned in the road, lol!" that was going on.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
All kinds of fun things driving from Maryland back home to Maine the other day:

-Being passed by a Veloster doing 90 on a compact spare.

-A Golf brake checking a cop: The cop is flying up the left hand lane going about 90 or 95 without his lights on, and the Golf had just moved over to pass a semi. Cop rides the Golf's rear end the whole time they're passing the truck, and just as the Golf gets to the front of the truck he hits his brakes HARD. The cop manages to avoid smashing into him, and once the Golf moves back over to the middle lane continues to cruise on by as if nothing happened.

-Tesla with no license plate on the front or back, driving somewhat in the middle lane but swerving around between all three lanes. I quickly pass him and glance over and the guy is straight up head down in his lap reading his phone or a book or something.

-Numerous instances of people changing lanes to pass when they were still overlapping the car in the next lane by 1/4 a car length or more. I couldn't decide if it was just a bunch of bad drivers or people becoming overly reliant on lane change indicators on their mirrors, but it happened at least half a dozen times through the trip.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Known troll PCOS Bill posted:

There are a ton of rules that can be bent and broken for organized events, it's part of society that allows us to overlook a few things for the greater good, temporarily.

:frogout:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
pretty much every saturday morning i drive by 5-10 cars parked in the street because they're sitting in a drive through line for breakfast burritos and every time i honk and someone will spaz out and send their Starbucks flying. its really cathartic

stop parking illegally you loving shitheads and get your fat rear end out of your car and go in.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

go3 posted:

pretty much every saturday morning i drive by 5-10 cars parked in the street because they're sitting in a drive through line for breakfast burritos and every time i honk and someone will spaz out and send their Starbucks flying. its really cathartic

stop parking illegally you loving shitheads and get your fat rear end out of your car and go in.

I've never understood why people would rather wait longer for a drive-thru than just parking and going into the loving restaurant.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

go3 posted:

Let me tell you about tim hortons, friend. Tim hortons is a lovely frozen garbage donut coffee shop In canada, there is 1 tim hortons for every 30 people, but there is still somehow always a line-up of 40 cars at every tim hortons drive thru at all hours, and they were all designed by morons.

This one here is an extra special case.

This is a highway off ramp to the big gas station sector of the city. costco and princess auto(think harbor freight but with bonus random junk) are all in behind it. every morning, and every hour of the day on a long weekend, there is a line-up of cars trying to get into this one tim hortons drive-thru to the point where they block the off-ramp off the highway.(red line)

All this despite the fact that there is a godly donut/soup shop a little ways up the road. (blue circle)

That means that if you need lovely chinese tools or a pallet of granola bars at certain times or on certain days, you have to take the off ramp marked with a green circle. Except that's not actually an off ramp. it's just "the ditch" with a little sign that says "do not cross median" which i'm pretty sure was only put there so you know where the gap in the fence is even when it's snowed over.

And half the time that's out of order because some subitard on bald all seasons didn't leave the highway with enough speed to get over the hump.

And the cops don't do anything about it because they're in the middle of the drive thru line at tim hortons.

Here's another winner of a location. nobody can get into the drive thru because nobody can get out of the drive thru because the people trying to get in are blocking the people trying to get out. It's like a human centipede with no mouths. just 100% assholes.

Then you get la de da in blue with his super crewmax double ramcab tundra trying to turn in a circle shorter than his wheelbase to get into the drive thru, the whole while the entire parking lot is empty because nobody can get into it because it's blocked by people trying to get out of the drat drive thru. And nobody can get out of the parking spots for the doctors office right beside it beause there are people waiting in the middle of the parking lot for their chancce to block the drive thru exit so they can wait 45 minutes to get some lovely coffee.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
For those who don't know just how irrationally addicted Canadians are to Tim Horton's, there were literally three of them in a single building at my university and all of them had a line up constantly, despite the fact there were better places to get literally any product Tim Hortons in the same building.

I'm sure if you surrounded the last Tim Hortons in the world with a thick concrete wall, most Canadians would wreck their cars ramming into it, trying to get in.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

For those who don't know just how irrationally addicted Canadians are to Tim Horton's, there were literally three of them in a single building at my university and all of them had a line up constantly, despite the fact there were better places to get literally any product Tim Hortons in the same building.

I'm sure if you surrounded the last Tim Hortons in the world with a thick concrete wall, most Canadians would wreck their cars ramming into it, trying to get in.

You can walk completely around crossiron mills mall in what, 10 minutes?

And there's 2 god drat tim hortons in it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

All I can think of with Tim Horton's chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=norvbAITAz4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

You can walk completely around crossiron mills mall in what, 10 minutes?

And there's 2 god drat tim hortons in it.

Still better than the three in Mac Hall up at the university, IMO. There's also several within like one or two blocks of each other downtown, it's absolutely absurd. There's more Timmies than Starbucks.