Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Terrible Horse posted:

The modern Eldrazi deck (that was the reason for the Eye and Temple spikes, I think?) is on right now.

You made me look this up.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/modern-masters-2015/eye-of-ugin

What the gently caress is is garbage? 100 bucks for a set of Eye of Ugins? That's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnificent
Jun 17, 2005

I was not programmed for friendship.
Nap Ghost

Angry Grimace posted:

If you're a new customer I think you have to buy the item on their website so that it sets up an account (it gets completely refunded, its just for verifying paypal info). If you're a repeat customer or whatever, they don't make you do this and you just directly PM the guy - I never had to do that because I had bought stuff from their site before (they sell singles at a slight discount and that guy was the person who delivered it).

Yeah, looking at their website now, they actually make it pretty easy for new customers like me; I'll email them a copy of my collection (including tickets), and they'll get back to me in few days.

Thanks a bunch.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

#freestonerain

Also I think the actual answer is Dust Bowl

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What the gently caress is is garbage? 100 bucks for a set of Eye of Ugins? That's ridiculous.

Yup. Online its a reasonable 5 tix, which is still a 500% increase.

Besides a few cards (IoK, Damnations in the side, Ulamog) the deck is one of the cheapest available online it seems.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Also I think the actual answer is Dust Bowl

I said it above, but just in case it seemed like a joke, I honestly think Dust Bowl might be the best of both worlds. It fixes the wasteland "problem" in similar fashion to Tec Edge, in that it can't sucker-punch someone in the first few turns of a game (silly mana acceleration scenarios aside), but it offers a significant buff over Tec Edge in that it has the potential to slowly gently caress the poo poo out of any deck that was planning to spend the game sucking its manabase's dick.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Foreskin Problems posted:

By what metric?

I'm not arguing here. How is Tec better than Quarter?

They're not better or worse, both do different things and they're both pretty bad at early disruption, especially when basics haven't come into play so your opponent has a buffer for Quarter.

Quarter is card disadvantage but works unconditionally, Tec Edge is card parity but is slower to work.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

JerryLee posted:

I said it above, but just in case it seemed like a joke, I honestly think Dust Bowl might be the best of both worlds. It fixes the wasteland "problem" in similar fashion to Tec Edge, in that it can't sucker-punch someone in the first few turns of a game (silly mana acceleration scenarios aside), but it offers a significant buff over Tec Edge in that it has the potential to slowly gently caress the poo poo out of any deck that was planning to spend the game sucking its manabase's dick.

gently caress that noise. Reprint standard legal strip mine, watch hilarity ensue.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Errant Gin Monks posted:

that's why smart people don't play the bad formats called legacy and modern

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

JerryLee posted:

dang I would love dust bowl in a loam deck.

or a deck with flagstones of troikar

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I played Dust Bowl in life.dec in old extended because Rock could draw the game looping Ravenous Baloths with Volrath's Stronghold, Dust Bowl owns

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

that's why smart people don't play the bad formats called legacy and modern

Yeah, they don't play Magic at all

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, they don't play Magic at all

Close thread.

So to add content. My buddy came into town the other day, he is a casual player and put together a modern-ish Aggro elemental deck that flings 10/2 guys at you to win. He had been dominating his other casual friends with it. After 10 games of losing to modern burn he decided he did not like playing magic anymore. The final straw being I was at 8 he was at 13. He flung a guy at me for 10 damage, I deflecting palmed it and followed it up with a lightning bolt.

I feel like I accomplished something.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 2, 2016

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

magic is a really bad game when the only disincentive to playing a million cipt nonbasics is "you might sometimes lose to red"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

magic is a really bad game when the only disincentive to playing a million cipt nonbasics is "you might sometimes lose to red"

Historically speaking, were LD based decks ever oppressive?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I can't wait for my Goblin Dark-Dwellers spec to pan out. :v: (please?)

Deck: Goblin Dark-Dwellers

//Creatures
4 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
4 Seeker of the Way
2 Monastery Mentor
3 Soulfire Grand Master

//Planeswalkers
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

//Spells
4 Crackling Doom
3 Fiery Impulse
3 Kolaghan's Command
1 Murderous Cut
3 Duress
3 Read the Bones
1 Roast

//Lands
2 Mountain
2 Plains
1 Swamp
2 Battlefield Forge
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Canopy Vista
1 Wind-Scarred Crag
4 Flooded Strand
1 Nomad Outpost
2 Shambling Vent
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Sunken Hollow
3 Wooded Foothills

//Sideboard
2 Arashin Cleric
1 Monastery Mentor
2 Outpost Siege
3 Kozilek's Return
2 Self-Inflicted Wound
3 Transgress the Mind
1 Duress
1 Ruinous Path

Display deck statistics

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Rinkles posted:

Turn 1 Bird, Turn 2 Stone Rain et al could be crippling.

Also, dark rit sinkhole black vise was game ending

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

I played Dust Bowl in life.dec in old extended because Rock could draw the game looping Ravenous Baloths with Volrath's Stronghold, Dust Bowl owns

It took me a moment to realize that life.dec didn't mean Soul Sisters or Martyr Proc (not that those are uncool decks).

Extended owned before they started gutting its scope.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Here are a list of old decks I think are cool:

Astral Slide
Balancing Tings
Blue Skies
Netherhaups
Life.dec
That awful Master Apothecary white weenie deck
Wake
The one time when I was 13 and I played Rebels at FNM with Gaea's Cradle to splash Vitalizing Wind

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Splicing desperate ritual to nourishing shoal :swoon:

JerryLee posted:

It took me a moment to realize that life.dec didn't mean Soul Sisters or Martyr Proc (not that those are uncool decks).

I miss the age of good breakfast names for combo decks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
https://mobile.twitter.com/samstod/status/683410337350184961

Damnation was in M15 and then cut. Just like Liliana of the Veil.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

gently caress the colour pie

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

gently caress the colour pie

That's a screenplay that MaRo tried to pitch.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I think i remember roseanne say something about how hornet queen just doesn't make any sense vis a vis the color pie

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

Not too long ago Boom Bust was incredibly annoying in Modern but that's more a problem with cascade/Jund/BBE/Deathrite, pick any combination

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

this goryos vengeance deck is just gross

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

this goryos vengeance deck is just gross

I got to pilot it for a couple of FNMs and came to the conclusion it's the deck I will always want to build but just can't justify it - the price of some of the key pieces are far too much for a flight of fancy that might just die come banlist.

...unless they DON'T ban it; if that happens I'm making the deck in a heartbeat as it's one of the most fun decks I've played.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Wicked Wall posted:

I got to pilot it for a couple of FNMs and came to the conclusion it's the deck I will always want to build but just can't justify it - the price of some of the key pieces are far too much for a flight of fancy that might just die come banlist.

...unless they DON'T ban it; if that happens I'm making the deck in a heartbeat as it's one of the most fun decks I've played.

They're banning every deck ever made soon so I wouldn't get your hopes up. Probably.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

Would a Black Day of Judgment also be out of color pie? :(

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Count Bleck posted:

They're banning every deck ever made soon so I wouldn't get your hopes up. Probably.

I knew I shouldn't have bought those bridges.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zephirum posted:

Damnation isn't out of the color pie because it regenerates.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zephirum posted:

Crux of Fate?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Wizards lied people died

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Damnation isn't out of the color pie because it regenerates.

Wrath effects are clearly not out of color pie either.

Stoddard is full of poo poo as usual.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I don't see how Damnation would have improved the current Standard

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Is there any reason the Modern BW Eldrazi deck runs Damnation as opposed to Wrath of God? From what i can tell the deck runs just as much black-producing lands as white-producing lands.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Goryo's can go off super fast but it's too inconsistent and fragile to be a top tier deck. Bloom seems like a far more likely hit.

e: the eldrazi deck plays Urborg so double black is easier to get than double white

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

whydirt posted:

I don't see how Damnation would have improved the current Standard

The only people who think we need a turn 4 board wipe also think aggro decks shouldn't exist.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
What's the deal with the packs you win from doing the new player draft on MTGO? They look almost identical to normal packs but have "Online" written on them and apparently can't be used for normal drafts. Are they just there to crack?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

What's the deal with the packs you win from doing the new player draft on MTGO? They look almost identical to normal packs but have "Online" written on them and apparently can't be used for normal drafts. Are they just there to crack?

Urborg makes it easier to get double black and be able to hold up a white mana.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Goryo's can go off super fast but it's too inconsistent and fragile to be a top tier deck. Bloom seems like a far more likely hit.

I feel like they can pretty safely remove SSG from modern, though. The card is literally only played to do unfair things with, and every time a stupid fast kill comes up, SSG is involved in some way.

Niton fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You guys should lobby your lgs or playgroup to do the occasional unsanctioned all proxy legacy or modern events. You can see whether you actually like how a deck plays before dropping bucks on it, or just try a different one every week. Also the try hards stay away.

• Locked thread