Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Taking a look at the OP, it looks like there are "best" roles for each class that don't quite line up with what the game says. Is there really no reason to be anything but the primary spec? Can I play a scrappy scoundrel, or are they pretty much just healers? I would like to know if picking the DPS line for anything that doesn't shout "I'm DPS" or something that happens to have a heal or two is out of line.

I haven't played a holy trinity class system game in a long time

Unless you're running NiM Operations (the highest lvl of PvE) don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

signalnoise posted:

Taking a look at the OP, it looks like there are "best" roles for each class that don't quite line up with what the game says. Is there really no reason to be anything but the primary spec? Can I play a scrappy scoundrel, or are they pretty much just healers? I would like to know if picking the DPS line for anything that doesn't shout "I'm DPS" or something that happens to have a heal or two is out of line.

I haven't played a holy trinity class system game in a long time

All classes are capable of playing DPS. The "top parsing" DPS specs are generally the DPS only classes (Sniper/Marauder) but this doesn't matter one bit unless you plan on doing progression raiding. All classes are viable. The only real kicker is ranged DPS (Sniper, Mercenary, Sorcerer) are generally slightly easier to play in endgame.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone online now that can re-invite me to TNG? I rerolled sniper. Name: Somatic.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Robo Reagan posted:

Do Assassin or Juggernaut tanks have any neat tools that Power Shield doesn't? Grappling Hook and Power Jump or whatever they're actually called are pretty handy and MO is pretty sweet too.

Assassin has a neat tool no other tank has called stealth. I have a 65 assassin, a 50ish Sith juggernaut, and a 40ish BH shield tank, and once I finish the stories with the jugg and the shield guy I'll probably shelve them and play the assassin exclusively. It's really nice to be able to just stealth up and ignore trash mobs entirely on your way to an objective, and IMO the assassin's fighting animations are way, way better than the others.

DJDace
Mar 23, 2005
Professional Idiot - When to comes to stupid, we don't fuck around!
If That's No Goon is still active on Jedi Covenant I'd love an invite back. My wife talked me into giving the game another go when the Eternal Empire expansion dropped and we're having a lot of fun.

I have my Jugg Tank "Daenar" and my Agent Healer "Draede"

Her characters are her Sorcerer Healer "Miaculpa" and her Sniper "Fayetality"

My Trooper on Jedi Covenant is still in Goon Squad but I rarely see that many people online. I working on him next to round him out to 65 so I have at least one 65 on Pub side. I think I may use my free level 60 character for a Jedi Sage as I don't have a 65 caster yet.

Hopefully we can join the goons again for more galaxy traipsing and general chicanery.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

JonathonSpectre posted:

Assassin has a neat tool no other tank has called stealth. I have a 65 assassin, a 50ish Sith juggernaut, and a 40ish BH shield tank, and once I finish the stories with the jugg and the shield guy I'll probably shelve them and play the assassin exclusively. It's really nice to be able to just stealth up and ignore trash mobs entirely on your way to an objective, and IMO the assassin's fighting animations are way, way better than the others.

Even better Assassins get Force Shroud, which allows you to cheese some MAJOR mechanics in raids/flashpoints. Lightning Balls in EV on you? No problem, just Force Shroud and run through them and take no damage. Ruugar's mines starting to clutter up the place in Ravagers? Go ahead and shroud and run over all of them to clear up some space.

Powertech gets Hydraulic Overrides which lets you cheese some other mechanics involving knockbacks. My favorite is tanking Revan on SM ToS. You can literally just stand there and pop Hydraulic Overrides when he does his impale huge knockback and nothing happens.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

If anyone on JC has any of the old Encrypted Datacubes laying about in cargo holds, I'm working my way through collecting toys and need 3 of them.

74-C, 93-E, and 58-P. If you have them, name me a price.

For reference -

Also, I put a few stacks of Snow Covered Parcels in the Guild Bank. Don't be a dick and take all of them, but if you want to buy a mount or something grab a few. Only 2 more days to spend them.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 2, 2016

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Which goon guild has the most activity?

I think i want to play a scoundrel type so it doesn't matter much which faction i play.

If i wanted to play a Jedi type character i would go with Republic.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ineptitude posted:

Which goon guild has the most activity?

I think i want to play a scoundrel type so it doesn't matter much which faction i play.

If i wanted to play a Jedi type character i would go with Republic.

Jedi Covenant has a Republic guild thats pretty dead but is still more interesting than genchat and an Imperial guild that's relatively active.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So how long until they finally cave and put Kylo Ren's lightsaber on the cartel store?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Kurieg posted:

So how long until they finally cave and put Kylo Ren's lightsaber on the cartel store?

I was just thinking that.

Also, playing a Jugg, I got a new saber from Darth Bare-rear end that is nowhere near as good as the orange one I got as my first saber, and looking at the cartel sabers, they're not as good, either. Seems dumb to get a "reward" that is basically useless.

Also I hate the hilt.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

I want a BB droid as a pet.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Colonial Air Force posted:

I was just thinking that.

Also, playing a Jugg, I got a new saber from Darth Bare-rear end that is nowhere near as good as the orange one I got as my first saber, and looking at the cartel sabers, they're not as good, either. Seems dumb to get a "reward" that is basically useless.

Also I hate the hilt.

Being a pretty princess is way more important than having stats

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

Being a pretty princess is way more important than having stats

That's what the outfit designer is for

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Outfit designer doesn't cover weapons though?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Outfit designer doesn't cover weapons though?

Well in that case I'm wrong and almost as dumb as Bioware for not making that work.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Isn't that what the orange customizable weapons are for?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

signalnoise posted:

Isn't that what the orange customizable weapons are for?

The one I got on Korriban is orange, and therefore better than what Barras gave me (which I think was blue - lets me change the crystal and nothing else). But you can't customize its looks, just its stats.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Colonial Air Force posted:

The one I got on Korriban is orange, and therefore better than what Barras gave me (which I think was blue - lets me change the crystal and nothing else). But you can't customize its looks, just its stats.

No that's what I'm saying, you get the orange one that looks like what you want and then kit it out, right?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yes.

But then why reward me with a blue one?

Also, where do I get orange ones? I assume I need commendations or those crystals?

E: Why can't they just have something like this? http://www.saberparts.com/#/configure

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Green/blue quest rewards have never been as good as gear with reasonably up-to-date mods. That's been true since beta, but the difference is more pronounced now that it's so easy to do quests when you're way above the intended level. If you get a quest reward that's an upgrade, that's a good sign that you need to go pick up some new mods. Just vendor it and move on. Think of it as an uncashed check!

Most class quests offer you a pile of data crystals as a reward option; enough to fully upgrade a couple pieces of orange gear. That's always the better choice!

Edit: And the best place to find orange gear is always the GTN.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

If anyone on JC has any of the old Encrypted Datacubes laying about in cargo holds, I'm working my way through collecting toys and need 3 of them.

74-C, 93-E, and 58-P. If you have them, name me a price.

For reference -

I hope they put the crates for those back on sale someday; I really want the outfit you get once you have all eight. Also, the glowing-smoking cubes just look awesome.

In unrelated news, I just cranked out a new level-10, and tomorrow I start learning flashpoint healing with the Esseles.

(My complaint with this outfit is that there's a leather patch on the right leg to protect against your blaster rubbing up against your pant leg, but the patch doesn't move to the left side if you've got a lightsaber instead. :spergin:) (But still, best belts-and-pouches in the game.)

prefect fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 3, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Made a sith warrior on Jedi Covenant, and there's bunch of pilots suits I got from mail - what's all that about?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Everyone got those as a part of the Starfighter patch.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
If we're getting guild invites from the thread now I'm playing Samrial the sith sorcerer on Jedi Covenant.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

How do you change outfits workout changing your stats anyway? A lot of posts here make it seem like you can, but I couldn't find the option. Is it post game only or something?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

mastajake posted:

How do you change outfits workout changing your stats anyway? A lot of posts here make it seem like you can, but I couldn't find the option. Is it post game only or something?

You use outfit designer

For example, my Juggernaut is now an evil Disney Queen.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

mastajake posted:

If you open your character panel (C), there is an 'Outfit' tab wherein you can assign gear to slots which only affects your appearance and does not change your stats. There's a tutorial for it in-game (however it is you access those, via codex or the question mark?), it's called the Outfit Designer.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Does the Rise Of Hutts Cartel content ever get any less poo poo?

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 3, 2016

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

SweetBro posted:

Does the Rise Of Hutts Cartel content ever get any less poo poo?

Alas, no. But at least it makes SoR look brilliant by comparison.

Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013
I haven't played since before the first expansion was released (the Hutt one?), but I've always wanted to do the Imperial Agent storyline since most claim it's one of the best. Is it true that with the buffed classquest exp, I can play through just doing the class quests, or will I still have to do the planet quests too? I know I missed out on the double-exp bonus from late December.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Snostorm posted:

I haven't played since before the first expansion was released (the Hutt one?), but I've always wanted to do the Imperial Agent storyline since most claim it's one of the best. Is it true that with the buffed classquest exp, I can play through just doing the class quests, or will I still have to do the planet quests too? I know I missed out on the double-exp bonus from late December.

You'll have to do both your classquest and the main planetary questlines (helpfully colored purple) to stay leveled, yes.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Or, alternatively, your class quests plus a few heroic missions/pvp/space missions

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Medullah posted:

You use outfit designer

For example, my Juggernaut is now an evil Disney Queen.

Holy poo poo, that's ace. I stayed up way too late last night plowing through KotFE and I'm not sure how I feel about it, now. I get what they were going for, I think, but pacing-wise it felt more like...Dungeon Siege than KotOR 1 or 2.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Trebuchet King posted:

Holy poo poo, that's ace. I stayed up way too late last night plowing through KotFE and I'm not sure how I feel about it, now. I get what they were going for, I think, but pacing-wise it felt more like...Dungeon Siege than KotOR 1 or 2.

That's what happens when you get rid of the last great connection of Kotor, Revan. It's like you're finally done with the arc of the Lich King, now what? Better move on to the panda lands as an interlude.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Fargin Icehole posted:

That's what happens when you get rid of the last great connection of Kotor, Revan. It's like you're finally done with the arc of the Lich King, now what? Better move on to the panda lands as an interlude.

Oh, no, it wasn't even that so much...it's just in KotOR 1 or 2 you'd have parts you fought and parts you talked, and some of the parts you talked were pretty expansive and could play out different ways based on different factors, to the point where you could go a fair while without combat. KotFE just feels like hallway after hallway of fighting, which might be more engaging if combat weren't WoW-style, and what non-combat moments there are are all too brief.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Trebuchet King posted:

Oh, no, it wasn't even that so much...it's just in KotOR 1 or 2 you'd have parts you fought and parts you talked, and some of the parts you talked were pretty expansive and could play out different ways based on different factors, to the point where you could go a fair while without combat. KotFE just feels like hallway after hallway of fighting, which might be more engaging if combat weren't WoW-style, and what non-combat moments there are are all too brief.

Yeah, I felt the same way all through KotFE. Was waiting for a moment to take a breather and talk to my dudes. The rest of TOR at least has your ship as a sort of sanctuary from everything going on, but from 60-65 you're always either running away from something or towards someone. Finding the Gravestone felt like the point where the action usually slows down in Bioware games and gives you a few minutes to breathe, but here you're instantly thrown back into it. I guess probably it's intentional, to give the story a sense of urgency, but it felt a little bit exhausting.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:
Hey guys, I had a couple of questions (I probably could have read the thread to find these answers, but the thread length was daunting).

1: I played when this game was initially released and now that it's F2P I'm interested in getting back in. However, with my level 50 Command I'm not sure where I can plug back into "plot" to start leveling up again. Where should I go to continue the main story line or the Commando story line?

2: Did they make it so you can switch your spec? I like Commando but now realize it would probably be more helpful to go Trooper for the Tank build.

Thanks!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Trebuchet King posted:

I played KOTFE firstwith the Sith Juggernaut, my favorite character, and I agree with you, it took me about a day and a half spacing out the new stuff. I recently tried the Sith Assassin and cut that time to a few hours. Stealth has always been really, really, REALLY, great in this game, even more so with the Heroic missions being soloable.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Korlac posted:

Hey guys, I had a couple of questions (I probably could have read the thread to find these answers, but the thread length was daunting).

1: I played when this game was initially released and now that it's F2P I'm interested in getting back in. However, with my level 50 Command I'm not sure where I can plug back into "plot" to start leveling up again. Where should I go to continue the main story line or the Commando story line?

2: Did they make it so you can switch your spec? I like Commando but now realize it would probably be more helpful to go Trooper for the Tank build.

Thanks!
1. Depends on where you got to, if you finished your class story then you might be able to continue along to Ilum (which was the original start of the endgame as I understand it). I'm not sure if you have Rise of the Hutt Cartel but if you do you technically next go to Makeb, then to Oricon (both of which are entirely optional and don't really advance your story much other than originally getting you to level 55). If you have Shadows of Revan, your actual story picks up with a quest on Rishi and the rest of the stuff in that expansion paves the way for the events in the current expansion.

If you don't have any of the expansions I think you're basically stuck at 50 (might be higher by default now but you can't level past 60 without KOTFE) but if that's the case I'd recommend throwing $15 at the game for a one month sub (or doing the $20 for 2 months and some cash shop currency thing if it's still happening on Origin) since it'll permanently unlock all of the currently available expansions when your sub runs out. If you pick up the Origin deal now you'll also get Chapter 10 of the newest expansion when it's available in February.

2. You can only switch between specialisations within your advanced class so since you're a Commando you're stuck with Healing, Shooting Guns and Shooting Guns Slightly Differently. There's no way to change your advanced class but with how easy levelling is in general it's not really a problem to level another character which also conveniently allows you to play dressup on a different dude which is really what the endgame is all about.

• Locked thread