Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

all i can say is that if caves of qud isn't ever entirely 'finished' then i'll be pretty sad because it's fairly unique and more roguelikes like it need to exist.

We're committed to finishing the main quest. We probably won't get to flesh out all the systems/character options from our original vision (mostly because it was preposterously unrealistic). And I doubt we'll ever smash all the edge case bugs since there are so many systems interacting; I know that'll turn some people off. But we definitely have a solid plan for bringing it out of EA on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

victrix posted:

This is actually (another) big reason I love Dungeonmans - it has a really satisfying final area. It's threatening, has cool music, cool graphics, and pushes a bunch of classic jrpg (!) buttons.

That kind of finale is not a great strength for a lot of more traditional roguelikes.

That's one thing I have to give ToME: even if the second half of the game is pretty much a massive slog, the final zone can be a brutal shitstorm and carelessness around the High Peak bosses will get you loving killed. The final boss fight is typically pretty challenging as well, unless you have some kind of insane Fears Doomed build. Even my most helldozery Cursed characters had to fight tactically and rely on Paladin Whatsername to take pressure off at least once.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So I picked up TowerClimb during the Steam sale (not least because of the praises various people have sung it in this thread) and I'm absolutely loving it. The control scheme felt awkward as gently caress at first but now feels smooth and responsive with my only lingering complain is that sometimes what seems to be a normal jump from my perspective will trigger the double-jump aura.

It's such a brutal game, but like all of what I'd call really good roguelikes, I have never died from something that I thought was unfair bullshit; I've died from being too greedy (any and all of the Paths of Exile), or from not looking before I leapt (oh hey, there were spikes in the foliage, there!), not stopping to observe something long enough (killed a worm, ran straight into the second worm), stopping to observe something too long (what's that wriggling pupae thing? .....oh.) or not thinking through the consequences of my actions (crushed by falling blocks after a slightly enthusiastic exploding berry throw).

I don't know if I'll ever manage to beat the drat thing, but I can feel myself improving slowly. Great game and well worth your :10bux: while the sale is still on.

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

So I picked up TowerClimb during the Steam sale (not least because of the praises various people have sung it in this thread) and I'm absolutely loving it. The control scheme felt awkward as gently caress at first but now feels smooth and responsive with my only lingering complain is that sometimes what seems to be a normal jump from my perspective will trigger the double-jump aura.

It's such a brutal game, but like all of what I'd call really good roguelikes, I have never died from something that I thought was unfair bullshit; I've died from being too greedy (any and all of the Paths of Exile), or from not looking before I leapt (oh hey, there were spikes in the foliage, there!), not stopping to observe something long enough (killed a worm, ran straight into the second worm), stopping to observe something too long (what's that wriggling pupae thing? .....oh.) or not thinking through the consequences of my actions (crushed by falling blocks after a slightly enthusiastic exploding berry throw).

I don't know if I'll ever manage to beat the drat thing, but I can feel myself improving slowly. Great game and well worth your :10bux: while the sale is still on.

I echo this sentiment completely. Took a few tries to get a handle on the basics, but there's a lot of subtlety to be had in the controls and capabilities of the player, I think.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tremis posted:

I echo this sentiment completely. Took a few tries to get a handle on the basics, but there's a lot of subtlety to be had in the controls and capabilities of the player, I think.

Thirding. I'm especially attached to the death screens :allears:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I bought the pre-Steam Tower Climb beta and emailed the dev a few weeks ago for a key but haven't heard anything. Anyone else get a key that way?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySlippers posted:

I bought the pre-Steam Tower Climb beta and emailed the dev a few weeks ago for a key but haven't heard anything. Anyone else get a key that way?

yes. if it was a few weeks ago you might want to try again and reference that email. alternatively maybe check the discussion forums on steam.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

FuzzySlippers posted:

Just send a follow-up email, I doubt he checks for betas often. I send him a reminder earlier this year and he got back to me in a day or so.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hope you guys stick with towerclimb. chapter 1 is fun but the stuff that comes after it is just so cool

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Awesome! posted:

renowned explorers has quite a bit of depth with picking your team to accomplish your strategy and then synergizing your research and followers and whatnot and choosing your route based on all these things. the combat is easy to grasp but is actually deeper than i thought at first since the mood system and emotions (basically buffs and debuffs) are really powerful and your enemies will try to turn the tables on you so you have to constantly be thinking ahead. you start with 2 resolve and get like 2 more after each successful expedition. each time a character dies in combat you lose 1 (all characters start with a revive spell to pick up downed friends) and if you hit 0 its game over. some events can also take resolve from you.

i feel like if you found ftl replayable this will be similar. you will be going through the same expeditions repeatedly but the layout in each one will change each time, like the sectors and nodes in ftl. and at least here the scottish highlands map feels different from the desert map as opposed to ftl where all the zones look the same.

I like Renowned Explorers but the boss fights in 4 star and 5 star areas are way too loving difficult, in my opinion anyway. It doesn't really feel anything like a roguelike to me, until I lose the game from 1 bad encounter. I kind of wish they had just made Reus 2, although I'm not sure where they'd go from Reus.

Angry Diplomat posted:

That's one thing I have to give ToME: even if the second half of the game is pretty much a massive slog, the final zone can be a brutal shitstorm and carelessness around the High Peak bosses will get you loving killed. The final boss fight is typically pretty challenging as well, unless you have some kind of insane Fears Doomed build. Even my most helldozery Cursed characters had to fight tactically and rely on Paladin Whatsername to take pressure off at least once.

The weird thing about the ToME final encounter, at least back when I was playing a ton of ToME, is that Elandar makes up 90% of the fight's difficulty, the portals another 9%, while Argoniel is a big mound of HP. I feel like if she was removed entirely it would just make the fight a bit shorter. Unless she's been buffed since I last fought her.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 3, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

lets hang out posted:

hope you guys stick with towerclimb. chapter 1 is fun but the stuff that comes after it is just so cool

I completed chapter 1 once while it was still in early development. That game is harrrrd

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Holy poo poo you can overdose on jump berries, this game just keeps getting better.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So madjackmcmad, you need to work on your Lootsplosion skill, it was all crap.

But maybe it's partly because crafting can get pretty broken by end game, not sure.

Oh and is this is as tedious as it sounds?

The worst part of the game was inventory management by far, it rivals Dredmor's crafting level of bad. A real help in this department IMO would be to add another small hotbar at the bottom for your potions/scroll needs, anything that keeps you from needing to open that pile of unsorted mess of an inventory screen. Oh and add Star filters or something too, would be great to not have to see so much junk! Oh and speed options, 2x speed I found was perfect, 1x was to slow.

Other than that, there were a few places that could use an extra pass of polish, but all in all the game was great. Good Work. Hope you haven't totally move on away from it, I would love to see some sort of mini expansion/DLC for it, I'm thinking Dredmor scale type expansions, it's probably the only way I'll touch it again, because thinking of that inventory, ugh so bad.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

I like Renowned Explorers but the boss fights in 4 star and 5 star areas are way too loving difficult, in my opinion anyway. It doesn't really feel anything like a roguelike to me, until I lose the game from 1 bad encounter. I kind of wish they had just made Reus 2, although I'm not sure where they'd go from Reus.

The weird thing about the ToME final encounter, at least back when I was playing a ton of ToME, is that Elandar makes up 90% of the fight's difficulty, the portals another 9%, while Argoniel is a big mound of HP. I feel like if she was removed entirely it would just make the fight a bit shorter. Unless she's been buffed since I last fought her.

I've gotten pretty good at RE (although since stopped playing after I unlocked the Halloween treasures, ugh). A few combat tips:

Glass cannons tend to be a bad idea in my experience. You don't pick up that much damage output, and having more hp and defense is what allows you to tank the few more rounds you need to kill a few more enemies and get inbound damage beneath what you can tank / heal a turn

The most important weapons are the emotion books that give +20% to a given emotion. It's not intrinsically obvious, but the +20% applies to the base 25% that you get for heals on friendly abilities. I.e. you get basically double power heals, which is a big upgrade

Defensive items are important as well; I tend to think speech defense is more important (although having 0 armor is bad, so if that is the case deal with that first). Ranged physical damage is pretty rare, and its pretty easy to bottleneck melee physical damage. Also, 2/3 damage types are speech, so just more common generally.

Make sure to bring at least one healer. Hildegard is a great healer as she also heals herself, and the cooldown is reasonably short

AoE disable / debuff abilities are very helpful as well

On the tougher boss fights, particularly the final fight, being able to break up the enemies and quickly eliminate a few while falling back to a choke point is critical. The game is balanced such that getting mobbed is basically a death sentence, but normally you can move towards a more defensible position

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I want a Dungeonmans expansion with mutations and bionic implants.

Alternatively, I want bionic implants and a crab claw mutation in caves of qud. Also tentacles.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pumpkinreaper posted:

I want a Dungeonmans expansion with mutations and bionic implants.

Alternatively, I want bionic implants and a crab claw mutation in caves of qud. Also tentacles.

Qud does have cybernetic implants. One of the perks of True Men is that they can use cybernetics while mutants can't.

You find them by reaching the bottom of Bethesda Susa

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hydraarmmans

When take more than 50% max hp damage in one hit you grow another arm. Theres no limit on number of arms you can have.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Qud does have cybernetic implants. One of the perks of True Men is that they can use cybernetics while mutants can't.

You find them by reaching the bottom of Bethesda Susa

Shows how little I've played of it so far.

Also good to know that there's one perk to being a normie!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Shows how little I've played of it so far.

Also good to know that there's one perk to being a normie!

Eh, the cybernetic implants aren't exactly accessible right now. They're in, but you have to go through a lot of dungeon to get to them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I haven't heard many people talking about it but Deathstate is pretty dope.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

victrix posted:

So is Elona+ permadeath or what? People talk about hundreds of hours of playtime, that sounds horrible for permadeath. I don't even like Tome's length for it :v:
It is a sandbox by design. Something you can do in the game is get to level 2000 or the hundreds of other stuff you can grind to 2000. Make a male pudding tank and have him inherit all sorts of incredibly powerful weapons that destroy level 1200 gods that then explode into super versions of themselves.
Death doesn't carry a penalty until about level 6. The game can decide to kill you for making simple mistakes or if an NPC gets rowdy and sets buildings on fire.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
dungeonmans had all the fundamentals there and i'd buy a DLC expansion for sure

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
So after breaking down and purchasing Towerclimb just now thanks to earlier posts, I looked at my purchase history and have had a pretty Rogue-Like Holiday. So far this holiday season I have acquired:
    *Sproggiwood (On Android during the Thanksgiving sale)
    *Nuclear Throne
    *One Way Heroics Plus
    *Renowned Explorers (Gift for girlfriend who loved FTL)
    *Downwell
    *Invisible, Inc. & Contingency Plan (After reading Austin Walker's post about it being his Game of the Year and listening to him fight for it in the GiantBomb GOTY podcast it was hard to pass this up. It wasn't even on my radar before this but it's a great read and convinced me to pick the game up.)
    *Towerclimb
    *Caves of Qud (gift from my coworker who apparently knows Unormal)

So maybe I went a little rogue-overboard. These games have really struck a chord with me lately even though I'm pretty terrible at them. I was just starting to get good at Binding of Isaac and now I have way too many of these to play.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You're missing Dungeonmans :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Does Towerclimb have a pause key?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Does Towerclimb have a pause key?

Nope

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
[config]
bSupportsParents=false

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Yeah it's weird. I don't think I've seen anyone ask for it but someone probably should since the devs say they're still working on updates for it when they can (they're both still in school iirc)

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any roguelike combat systems(traditional, turn-based topdown roguelikes) that depart meaningfully from boring old 'walk to attack'? Even more modern stuff like DCSS involves a lot of walkattacking for any character not relying almost entirely on magic. ToME4's the only real stand out I can identity in that all classes have lots of complicated useable attacks.

It would be nice to have something in between, even if it were just minor addendums. Maybe have basic bump attacks depend on class/weapon/position. Like a barbarian with a greatsword bump attacks a monster and automatically attacks an adjacent monster for half damage. But a knight with a spear gets a big bonus to armor penetration and damage if he bump attacks a monster after moving one or more turns in the same cardinal direction. Dual wielding rogues bump attacking an enemy the turn after it moved get an increased critical strike chance. You see the point, I just want something between the sometimes bloated array of abilities something like T4 has and the drudge of DCSS/Nethack/ADOM/etc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Insect Court posted:

Are there any roguelike combat systems(traditional, turn-based topdown roguelikes) that depart meaningfully from boring old 'walk to attack'? Even more modern stuff like DCSS involves a lot of walkattacking for any character not relying almost entirely on magic. ToME4's the only real stand out I can identity in that all classes have lots of complicated useable attacks.

It would be nice to have something in between, even if it were just minor addendums. Maybe have basic bump attacks depend on class/weapon/position. Like a barbarian with a greatsword bump attacks a monster and automatically attacks an adjacent monster for half damage. But a knight with a spear gets a big bonus to armor penetration and damage if he bump attacks a monster after moving one or more turns in the same cardinal direction. Dual wielding rogues bump attacking an enemy the turn after it moved get an increased critical strike chance. You see the point, I just want something between the sometimes bloated array of abilities something like T4 has and the drudge of DCSS/Nethack/ADOM/etc.

I think DDRogue / PrincessRL use systems like what you describe. I played like five minutes of DDRogue years ago, though, so no promises.

Cataclysm: DDA's martial arts also work similarly, lots of triggered attacks that reward you for moving along walls or alternating between step-attack-step-attack and so on.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

All of the weapons in Brogue effect how bump-attacking works. For instance, the spear will hit the enemy you bumped into, and the enemy behind them, and the axe attacks all opponents adjacent to you. It's a really neat textured system that makes you play tactically and adjust your behavior depending on your equipment.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Sil also has stuff like that(I remember with polearms you can hit enemies as they move into range for free, and IIRC with certain weapons you get bonuses from attacking after moving towards an enemy). Also, Sil's cool.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Also, The Depths of Tolagal has a really good combat system with each weapon completely changing your approach and making every battle play out like a puzzle. Unfortunately it also means that once you solve those 'puzzles' they become trivial, but you have to replay all the fights to get to the further levels, which will kill you until you figure out the right approach with your particular loadout.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Yeah, in SIl you can gain skills that give you more tactical options, like charging. Sil's skill system is really great, because everything is actually textured and cool, and not just numbers. And the numbers that there are are really easy to understand. It's minimalist and elegant and cool. Same with Brogue.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm assuming you've seen me say Dungeonmans every day for the last two weeks, but if not, that! Almost every class in the game gets a set of active abilities that you use constantly, a huge number of which are position based, and move you, the enemy, or care about spacing and targeting etc. You pretty much nothing but abilities in the late game on anything but complete popcorn mobs.

Far more traditional would be Brogue if you specifically care about the autoattack patterns, Necrodancer is probably too obvious. Sproggiwood is all pattern based combat.

Hmm... Demon is another option. Shin Megami Pokemon Rogue.

I think Sil handles weapons differently? Not sure, I've bounced off that game like four times so far.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sil is really good and i hope it gets tiles because those bring in a lot of new players

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It feels hard to justify actually learning the cool abilities in Sil when they're purchased with the same points that govern your basic attack and evasion proficiencies.

This is more a matter of taste than good or bad design but man I hate that kind of system

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Is the giveaway still on or saved for later? Bunch of really good games still remain in the list.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

So someone gifted me madjackmcmad's game in revenge for me gifting them Ikaruga. I've played it a bit, and loving hell was it designed to be that annoying? Here's a list of things it needs:

1) A "Disable Egregiously Retarded poo poo" option. As everyone knows, the mirth level of a joke is derived from the equation Funniness/Repetition - which is why memes aren't funny. This would not be a complicated option to introduce; just take out everything where a grown man talks like a four year old.

2) Don't make the player visit the Trainer, Library and the Alchemy Lab at the start of the game. It's adding more time to an already repetitive early game. Put the option to take or not take identifications on the Headmaster if you want to keep it, put the books from a level 4 Library in the chest, and do the initial stat point distribution during chargen (or just add points to the random stat pool).

3) Fix the pathing. The Library and Museum pretty much have to be negotiated one square at a time because you constantly run into objects that create pop-up windows if you try going faster.

4) Possibly something to make the first couple of levels go faster, like having Proofs also provide starting XP up to a maximum of 500. Right now it feels like you have to play the tutorial every time. Making it so players automatically outlevel that content on start would be a good QOL change. Also it would prevent people grinding Proofs in the starter dungeons then suiciding, which could be a balance issue.

Also found a couple of bugs. Loot can spawn and drop inside impassable map objects, and on one occasion I had a road encounter where the barricades had generated but there were no monsters and the tiles at the sides of the road were corrupted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
1) k :smith:

2) I guess the three or four seconds it takes does add up.

3) You'll get the hang of it.

4) This already exists. Artifacts will dramatically increase character power, as do proofs. After a while you hit a sort of critical mass where you're rolling in proofs and every new character brings in even more. Grinding them in starter dungeons and suiciding is a dumb waste of time.

The game starts out a little slow. Progression will start to accelerate once you can get characters to tier 3 or so consistently. At that point you should be able to run starter characters with a couple mysterious artifacts into much higher level dungeons and level/gear up very rapidly. Protip: Tier 3 armor is really loving cheap in stores (like 50s each) and will last you most of the game with some scrolls and hammers. You should be able to get them after like five minutes in a character's first dungeon once you've hit that critical mass of progression. Likewise the tavern can get you double XP for 300 turns for 15s, though given #2 you may find the five second rest sequence intolerable.