Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Repo Man posted:

Omnipod bonuses stack.

Good god, why? :gonk:

(:pgi:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Love Stole the Day posted:

I clutched out another game with my Sniper Cat:

I really feel like I've found my niche in this game.

What's your build? I want to steal it.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Pattonesque posted:

dude is a quality SHC pilot to the point where I'm reconsidering how good it is

Yes, I played a bunch with him today and snipercat is pretty drat effective if they don't blow his lasers off with a luck shot. (he doesn't twist huehuehue) Dude does have some great spacial awareness tho.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

sebmojo posted:

also v funny when he gets on the mic with his DJ voice doing robot traffic reports

Or alternatively accidental mutes himself and wonders why we're not cheering him on and answering questions

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

tarbrush posted:

Or alternatively accidental mutes himself and wonders why we're not cheering him on and answering questions

How can one man be so bad at mumble and pretty good at shooting robots at the same time, we wondered. :v:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Breaking news: Atlas S is a good mech

These are just the handful of matches I remembered to press print screen on

not shown: The countless matches where I run in first and get butt raped

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 3, 2016

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Willfrey posted:

Try the D-DC if you want to be a ninja atlas.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Repo Man posted:

Try the D-DC if you want to be a ninja atlas.

Try the DDC you say?

:clint:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Willfrey posted:

That's a pretty good scout lance you have there!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Astroniomix posted:

What's your build? I want to steal it.

Love Stole the Day posted:

It was LPL like the above goon said.

This is the build I've been using for weeks as my sniper build for the Shadow Cat. I call it the Sniper Cat.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

novaSphere posted:

The sole exception to this is the Trebuchet 7M, which you can and frankly should run with 2x LRM15 + A., BAP, and a TAG and nothing else. poo poo is bonkers if you use it right and don't end up in a situation on HPG or Crimson Straight where the enemy team is squatting indoors.

Seconding this (and that other medium with the good LRM bonuses, one of the Hunchbacks I think?) because while you can do better in the laser Trebuchet, it's really worth it to see mechs like the King Crab freak out from the storm of pinpoint missiles hitting their CT from a relatively fast mech with jumpjets.

But no one ever does this. I have seen only one LRM-TAG toting medium mech all week, in stark contrast to an LRM assault in every match, every day. I have seen so many Atlas in the last three days alone, all equipped the same way: LRMs and either two ER PPC, or two ERLL and maybe a pair of medium pulse lasers. And they're always on my team so I can't kill them.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Sard posted:

Seconding this (and that other medium with the good LRM bonuses, one of the Hunchbacks I think?) because while you can do better in the laser Trebuchet, it's really worth it to see mechs like the King Crab freak out from the storm of pinpoint missiles hitting their CT from a relatively fast mech with jumpjets.

But no one ever does this. I have seen only one LRM-TAG toting medium mech all week, in stark contrast to an LRM assault in every match, every day. I have seen so many Atlas in the last three days alone, all equipped the same way: LRMs and either two ER PPC, or two ERLL and maybe a pair of medium pulse lasers. And they're always on my team so I can't kill them.

I don't bring the 4J out often, but yeah with the XL255 and the LRM spam quirks and a tag laser, nobody is catching you easily, and you can zip around getting the right angles to rain em down.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Sard posted:

The Hunchback 4J is the (only) other mech that has adequate enough quirks to make taking LRMs not an active detriment to their team. I have a hard time being sold on the Trebuchet 5J being "better" in a sense, though--laser builds are still king but its arms are so low-slung that it just doesn't work for me. Then again, I also think the Treb 7M is a superior LRM vessel to the Hunch 4J, but that might just be personal preference.

I recently ran in to someone who insisted that his LRM15+LRM10+NARC Atlas D-DC "has its good days and bad" and claims to have over 1 million? 4 million? combined XP in Atlases. :negative:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
or you could bring a mech with only direct fire weapons and not LRMS and never have to worry about your missiles being countered by ECM, AMS, Radar Dep, or terrain.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Willfrey posted:

or you could bring a mech with only direct fire weapons and not LRMS and never have to worry about your missiles being countered by ECM, AMS, Radar Dep, or terrain.

When you do your own tagging then most of that stops being an issue. It's not something you should do primarily, but it's a nice spot of variety which I guess may not appeal to some robotists.

novaSphere posted:

I have a hard time being sold on the Trebuchet 5J being "better" in a sense, though--laser builds are still king but its arms are so low-slung that it just doesn't work for me

I had a lot of fun with it, to the point that it was the first mech I bothered to get mastery with. Not the best, but far from the worst, it was good for using the speed and jumping in coordination with the arm mounts to fire down on people or around walls. The thin side profile also helps avoid damage when facing perpendicular to an attacker. Of course, moving onto the Sparky from this was a revelation, but the range and duration quirks on the TBT-5J will always hold some appeal to me.

Sard fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 3, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Is game still good or did I miss the annual 2 week "This game is good again!" window?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Sard posted:

Of course, moving onto the Sparky from this was a revelation, but the range and duration quirks on the TBT-5J will always hold some appeal to me.

Yeah, the TBT-5J looks really great on paper, but I feel like there's no shortage of good lasery IS mechs that simply do the job better. But hey, if it worked for you then I can't judge v:shobon:v

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

With clan mechs, what's the deal with the click-button boxes for the arm/hand actuators? Does it arm lock if you uncheck them?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bentai posted:

With clan mechs, what's the deal with the click-button boxes for the arm/hand actuators? Does it arm lock if you uncheck them?

I don't think hand actuators do poo poo (maybe you get a hand on the geometry if that's useful to you?) but arm actuators directly affect how an arm-unlocked mech aims.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I'm not sure what hand actuators actually do, but having lower arm actuators lets you move your arms from side to side as well as up and down. With upper arm actuators, you can only pitch your arms up and down.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just FYI, you can invite people without friending them by going to the unit roster and looking at the bottom of the list.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Pooncha posted:

I'm not sure what hand actuators actually do, but having lower arm actuators lets you move your arms from side to side as well as up and down. With upper arm actuators, you can only pitch your arms up and down.

Hand actuators increase the range you can move your arms to the sides. I found that out when the hand actuator got automatically removed on some clan mech I put a PPC on. Probably a Nova a loooooooong time ago.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
In TT hand actuators are used for melee attacks. I don't think they do anything in MWO.

^^^ Or I could be wrong.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Bentai posted:

It gives the stormcrow claw hands. Hell yeah click the box and get you some claw hands breh.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

ImpactVector posted:

In TT hand actuators are used for melee attacks. I don't think they do anything in MWO.

^^^ Or I could be wrong.

Actually I just checked and I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, and it must be tied to the arm omnipods some how. I used my Nova prime with and without hand actuators, and it was able to move it's arms the same distance. On one of my other Novas, it just must not be able to move it's arms as far. Which is odd since I thought they all had the same arm movement distances, and I don't remember any not being able to swing in a huge arc. I'll play around with it more at some point, but I don't care enough to keep going into the testing grounds over and over.

As for what hands normally do, I think in TT (PTN can correct this, I'm sure) they give a bonus to physical hit and let you use things as clubs? Wouldn't that be great, to be able to uproot a tree as an Atlas and smash a Cheetah with it? I'd appreciate it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Repo Man posted:

Actually I just checked and I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, and it must be tied to the arm omnipods some how. I used my Nova prime with and without hand actuators, and it was able to move it's arms the same distance. On one of my other Novas, it just must not be able to move it's arms as far. Which is odd since I thought they all had the same arm movement distances, and I don't remember any not being able to swing in a huge arc. I'll play around with it more at some point, but I don't care enough to keep going into the testing grounds over and over.

As for what hands normally do, I think in TT (PTN can correct this, I'm sure) they give a bonus to physical hit and let you use things as clubs? Wouldn't that be great, to be able to uproot a tree as an Atlas and smash a Cheetah with it? I'd appreciate it.

In TT, the main purpose of hand actuators was for physical combat and objective raids. Stealing valuable gear is a lot easier if your mech can physically grab something and carry it away. For punching things, you did half damage and had a harder time even hitting if you didn't have hands.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
What makes components and ammo blow up? I keep losing weapons in my atlas, but I still have only yellow armor, as in nothing internal is exposed. It's happened multiple times so I don't think it's a bug, I must just not understand how the crit/component destruction gimmick works in this game.

E: took out the whine, left the question

Bait and Swatch fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 3, 2016

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
itt newbirds trying to school cloaca

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Bait and Swatch posted:

What makes components and ammo blow up? I keep losing weapons in my atlas, but I still have only yellow armor, as in nothing internal is exposed. It's happened multiple times so I don't think it's a bug, I must just not understand how the crit/component destruction gimmick works in this game. It seems like they just want everyone to use lasers, because they don't seem to explode the first time someone damages me, have optimal dps and less overall heat if I don't reach ghost heat.

Got hit by LB-X AC? Afaik it crits and does damage to the internals even if the armor is not penetrated. Could be totally wrong though. I actually tried to look it up, but there is no drat manual anywhere that actually explains the obscure mechanics. Guess PGI expect anyone to buy the TT rulebook or something.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Components/ammo get ruined by crits, crits can occur once armor has been stripped off a section of your mech. When you get crit it basically cripples one of the slots, so larger weapons like the AC/20/gauss are easier to ruin than smaller weapons.

Then theres crit seeking weapons like MGs, LB-X AC/10, flamers, and ac/2 that have increased chance to crit.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

novaSphere posted:

Yeah, the TBT-5J looks really great on paper, but I feel like there's no shortage of good lasery IS mechs that simply do the job better. But hey, if it worked for you then I can't judge v:shobon:v

I love the way the trebs look and they're mostly OK, but I can never justify bringing one when the Griffin 2N and Cent A exist.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Drakes posted:

Components/ammo get ruined by crits, crits can occur once armor has been stripped off a section of your mech. When you get crit it basically cripples one of the slots, so larger weapons like the AC/20/gauss are easier to ruin than smaller weapons.

Then theres crit seeking weapons like MGs, LB-X AC/10, flamers, and ac/2 that have increased chance to crit.

That how I thought it worked. I honestly think it was a bug, as the problem went away when I redid/resaved the build. My Atlas DDC picture was also a raven for some reason.

Sard
May 11, 2012

I bought the ON1-M on a whim to use all the cbills from playing lights and mediums recently, since I really like the idea of a giant shotgun robot. This turned out to be a terrible decision oh my god even the Vindicator is more fun and effective than this. I got a spare XL 300 engine out of it and I'll keep using it until I have the basics, in case I go back to the Orion chassis, but I'm gonna sell it immediately after. I still really want to have fun with shotguns, though, so: Is the CN9-D any better or at least more usable?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

We just constantly owned the poo poo out of Davion folks on Gan Singh.

Unfortunately, for every time we beat the poo poo out of them, they beat the poo poo out of Liao pubbies twice :(

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Sard posted:

I bought the ON1-M on a whim to use all the cbills from playing lights and mediums recently, since I really like the idea of a giant shotgun robot. This turned out to be a terrible decision oh my god even the Vindicator is more fun and effective than this. I got a spare XL 300 engine out of it and I'll keep using it until I have the basics, in case I go back to the Orion chassis, but I'm gonna sell it immediately after. I still really want to have fun with shotguns, though, so: Is the CN9-D any better or at least more usable?

SRMs are the shotguns of MWO.

Avoid the LBX-ac/10 in general.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Drakes posted:

SRMs are the shotguns of MWO.

Avoid the LBX-ac/10 in general.

Isn't it like, at 80 meters or more the LBX weapons are complete poo poo. Yeah, I'll take my SRMs and Autocannons.

Speaking of that, I put two cUAC10s on this Timberwolf I bought. Holy smokes it may not be able to deliver damage accurately, but it just shits it out. And if they stop moving, they die instantly. Good luck fighting a light, tho. Dunno what other weapons to run on it. Prolly just more lasers.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
^ my 2xUAC10 5xERSL Ebon jaguar is by far my highest KD mech with the burst changes. If I brought out my Dakka Dire it might beat it. Clan UACs are remarkably better with the burst changes.

Bait and Swatch posted:

What makes components and ammo blow up? I keep losing weapons in my atlas, but I still have only yellow armor, as in nothing internal is exposed. It's happened multiple times so I don't think it's a bug, I must just not understand how the crit/component destruction gimmick works in this game.

E: took out the whine, left the question

I think there's currently a bug with the Atlas. I had my AC20 get destroyed twice tonight while I was still all around armored (yellowish.). This has never happened on any of my other mechs of which I have waaaay more recent playtime. I had thought maybe it was the AC20 itself, but Ive never lost the AC20 in my Enforcer while the arm was still armored.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 3, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Washout posted:

Is game still good or did I miss the annual 2 week "This game is good again!" window?

There was a test server build that balanced damage, mobility and targeting delay as equally relevant factors in battle effectiveness and could only be described as fabulously retarded, but they listened to feedback and canned it.

Games in OK shape right now.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

^ my 2xUAC10 5xERSL Ebon jaguar is by far my highest KD mech with the burst changes. If I brought out my Dakka Dire it might beat it. Clan UACs are remarkably better with the burst changes.

I think there's currently a bug with the Atlas. I had my AC20 get destroyed twice tonight while I was still all around armored (yellowish.). This has never happened on any of my other mechs of which I have waaaay more recent playtime. I had thought maybe it was the AC20 itself, but Ive never lost the AC20 in my Enforcer while the arm was still armored.

I think Gauss can crit through armor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Bolow posted:

I think Gauss can crit through armor?

That's a possibility (I think?) though there's a distinct Gauss sound and spark splash that I don't remember hearing/seeing.

• Locked thread