Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
I never had my divacup slip on me at the gym. Years ago, I remember one lady goon mentioning that it would actually come out on her while deadlifting. The divacup is pretty long compared to other cups, I guess it wasn't working for her anatomy. Or I need to deadlift 100lb more. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

akulol: know what you mean about the "clicky" feeling. I would actually occasionally get it before the IUD as well. TMI TIME: With my ex, it used to happen all the time. With the current boy, it's only happened post-IUD. My theory is that the vaginal canal is tensing up because of anxiety (I SCIENCE NOW). I know it couldn't have been an actual issue with pressure or anything being "poked" because my ex had a significantly smaller penis. It's stopped happening to me now, I'm about three months in. :) Good luck.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

cash crab posted:

akulol: know what you mean about the "clicky" feeling. I would actually occasionally get it before the IUD as well. TMI TIME: With my ex, it used to happen all the time. With the current boy, it's only happened post-IUD. My theory is that the vaginal canal is tensing up because of anxiety (I SCIENCE NOW). I know it couldn't have been an actual issue with pressure or anything being "poked" because my ex had a significantly smaller penis. It's stopped happening to me now, I'm about three months in. :) Good luck.

That makes sense! I feel like it happens more when I'm all tense about it happening. I'm glad I'm not alone! I'll try to chill the f out and see if it goes away. Thanks!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I found that a lot of it was "oh my God, there's this weird thing in my body". Try and see if different positions lessens the feeling. For me, it was worst when I was on top, but less frequent with missionary.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Going in to get my tubes tied on Thursday (after several reschedules and delays) and I just wanted to say thanks thread, for helping me figure out how to phrase things better at the gyno's so I can actually get what I want. I feel so much better informed when I go into the office now.

Question for other tubal ligation people: How long did it take you to feel ok to drive/ride again? I kinda need to ride/drive for about an hour a few days after my surgery. Should I just not or will I be ok?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Explosions! posted:

Going in to get my tubes tied on Thursday (after several reschedules and delays) and I just wanted to say thanks thread, for helping me figure out how to phrase things better at the gyno's so I can actually get what I want. I feel so much better informed when I go into the office now.

Question for other tubal ligation people: How long did it take you to feel ok to drive/ride again? I kinda need to ride/drive for about an hour a few days after my surgery. Should I just not or will I be ok?

Do you mean just like regular driving/riding in a car? I don't drive at all, but I really don't remember having a problem riding around as a passenger at any point. Even on the way home from the hospital it was fine for me, though I've heard others complain.

In general, the first few hours/evening after surgery was the worst when I just wanted to lay around in bed on painkillers. By the next day my stomach muscles just felt like I had done too many situps, I was extremely bloated and kind of tired/short of breath (thanks to the gas pressing on my diaphragm) but I was able to function for the most part. I had my surgery on a Thursday and I felt normal by the next Monday or Tuesday when the gas finally dissipated, but everyone recovers differently.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Ok so um this is super gross but hey, this is basically the vagina thread right?

Has anyone else with Paragard felt stinging and burning towards the end of your period and then for a few days after? This started happening 3-4 months ago. I feel totally fine and normal until the last day or two of my period. At that point, my vaginal opening and vulva feel kind of sensitive and sting but only when I pee, have sex, or touch the area. The pain is not intense, just somewhat uncomfortable, and it stops after 5-10 minutes. The whole ordeal goes away a few days after my period ends and everything is more or less back to normal, though I still have some sensitivity after sex. I poked around and I think I might have seen a couple of tiny tears/fissures on my labia but it's hard to tell.

I really don't think it's a UTI or yeast infection... I've had both and it's nothing like that, no weird discharge or pain in my urethra. At this point it's a confusing, slightly/somewhat painful annoyance.

Could the IUD be throwing off my pH somehow? Why would it only be in response to my period? Could it be because the air just got a lot drier where I live and so my vulva is drier and more prone to micro-tears? I'm planning on setting up an appt with a gyno or nurse practitioner today but was curious if anyone else had experienced something similar.

I use a regular 'ol Diva Cup and have done so for years. I tried using just hot water to wash it this time around instead of a mild cleanser, but still no change. My current IUD has been in for 2 years and I had another Paragard for 3+ years before that. I've used a Diva Cup for almost 10 years. I haven't changed any of my soaps, shampoos, or cleansers, or anything else in my routine. I only wear cotton underwear and wear tight jeans infrequently (1x/week). I've never had issues up until this point. :confused:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

If you've had the IUD this long and a previous one before that, it doesn't seem like that would be the problem? I never had any problems like specifically from the IUD. But what I can tell you is that sometimes your body just changes on you. I used to never have problems with much of anything, but over the years I've become more sensitive and will get itching/burning/yeast infections from drat near anything (or nothing obvious). Regardless of birth control method.

Anyway, the most likely culprits I can think of would be your period or the hormonal changes associated with it throwing off things like pH or flora if anything. Sometimes I get like that either right before or right after when hormones are fluctuating all over the place. Or maybe it's the cup? Either it's due for a really good sterilizing or it's time to get a new one? The silicone does eventually start to degrade after a while (years and years, but still).

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Aside from the break between IUDs, I've been doing pretty much the same thing as you. I've got nothing. I've also got a Diva Cup. I only rinse mine with warm water during my period and then soak it in hydrogen peroxide after. Then I rinse it off and store it until I rinse it off again and use it next month.

If anything, I've possibly got a slightly newer cup, by at most a year, (I heard they might have changed their material to make not last as long, but I've got every reason to believe this happened years after I got mine, if ever), and I've been treating mine way rougher (hydrogen peroxide is apparently the hardest on the material). It is possible your cup does need a hardcore disinfecting and it wouldn't hurt anything to try that.

I have had minor annoyances with cold, dry air, but that's been a thing since way before I ever used a cup/had an IUD. It seems to be purely an external thing. It's unpleasant but pretty easy to avoid once you know what's up. I either keep the underpants on and under a blanket or clothes or lube up everything during foreplay. It doesn't sound like quite the level of discomfort you are experiencing but it does sound similar.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Yeah I have no clue! I'm on Diva Cup #2, got this one a year or so ago after my old one started to smell bad after 5-6 years and nothing would fix it (sunlight, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, etc). The new one still seems great, looks almost as new as when I got it. I am guilty of not sterilizing it in boiling water every single month, I usually end up doing it every other month. I'll make sure to do that this next time around. GoodBee -- I thought hydrogen peroxide was a no-no? I used it on my last cup but only when I was desperate to get it clean. Maybe I will try tampons or (gasp) pads next cycle and see if that makes any difference? I really don't want to though, tampons are so uncomfortable after using a cup and pads make me feel like I'm wearing a diaper. Being an adult woman is so fun.

It could be hormonal / body changes, good call on that one. I've had a random battle with hormonal, cystic acne the past year (I'm 25) worse than anything I had when I was in high school. It's finally starting to let up now that I simplified my routine a ton and started using Curology, but I'm not convinced I'll be out of the weeds with that until I go at least a month without any breakouts. I'm drinking spearmint tea everyday on the recommendation of my dermatologist to try to regulate my hormones a little better, we'll see if that does anything. People on Amazon were talking about an herbal supplement for female hormone balance, I wonder if that could help?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

dead lettuce posted:

GoodBee -- I thought hydrogen peroxide was a no-no? I used it on my last cup but only when I was desperate to get it clean.

That's what I heard too but I decided I didn't care. I'll just get a new one if I need to.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Cleaning a cup with hydrogen peroxide is fine.

Hydrogen peroxide causes silicone to expand slightly (a minuscule amount), it does not hurt it. Using hydrogen peroxide on medical-grade silicone implants and other medical products would be potentially deadly for that reason, even if it expanded a microscopic %, but for cup washing it is not an issue.
Wash 'em , soak 'em overnight in it if you want. It doesn't hurt them.

Source: a member of the livejournal menstrual cups community contacted a medical implant company to finally find out wtf this was ever about.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Interesting, I wonder why all the manufacturers tell you not to use it if that's really the reason. I'll do a hydrogen peroxide soak + 10 mins in boiling water next time and see if that does the trick. Thanks everyone!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Another thing that's helped me out lately even though I'm sure it sounds odd was giving all my underwear a really deep clean. Instead of just washing them like normal, I soaked them for a few hours in a vinegar/water solution then washed them all out in hot water with unscented detergent, no fabric softener or dryer sheets, etc. So far things seem to have improved or at least it hasn't hurt anything (me or the underwear). :shrug: I noticed a lot of suds in the soak so maybe after a while my detergent was building up a residue or something. As a bonus they look a lot brighter again and yes the vinegar smell washes out.

Also weird seemingly benign stuff like changing your toilet paper brand/type can do things. Or sometimes your body will suddenly just decide it doesn't like things you've been using no problem for years. It can get pretty maddening trying to pin down the cause when you have sensitive skin!

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
I think I need to dub my new gynecologist the "cervix whisperer".

So back in 2008, I had a Mirena put in. My cramps had gotten so bad that I was throwing up from the pain and I was taking way too many OTC pain meds than a person can safely take. The gyno I had at the time was very pro-Mirena but very old school in her methods. Long story short, the insertion HURT. It hurt bad. As soon as she clamped my cervix open I was in pain city. I remember gripping the sides of the table while trying not to scream. Then the sounding came. It felt like taking a blunt metal object and ramming it as deep as it can be inside of you. Worse pain I have ever felt. The pain was so bad I couldn't even make a sound. I don't remember the IUD hurting when she was putting it in because I was still in shock from the sounding. I think it took about 10 minutes and I had consistent low level menstrual cramps for about a month afterwards.
But in the end, I was so happy to have my IUD because I was one of the lucky 30% that stopped having periods and my cramps are maybe 10 minutes about once a month.
After living abroad for 5 years, I put off getting my Mirena replaced because it was still keeping my periods away and I had no insurance. I finally got a job this August that comes with wonderful insurance (teaching is awesome) so I knew I needed to get my old one replaced. I chose my new gyno mostly based on location. I had my pap right before Thanksgiving and I was pleasantly surprised by how nice she was and how much she knew about IUDs. She had one herself and let me know that she thinks that it's a great option for women regardless of age or child status. She then explained that she had learned how to insert them as quick as possible and as painlessly as possible because that how much she loves them. She wanted to replace my Mirena then and there but I held off until my Winter Break started because I didn't want to be angry and crampy for the three weeks between Thanksgiving and Winter Break. Also, I was terrified of the pain.
Today was the big day and I was so nervous about the pain I was shaking and didn't sleep much last night. I took 800mg of ibuprofen like last time and dreaded each minute as my appointment drew near. When she came into the room we chatted a bit and I let her know how nervous I was about the pain. She admitted that it did hurt but she made sure to learn and have tons of practice to make it as quick and painless as she could. Feet up in stirrups, I prepared for the worst. She told me that I'd feel a pinch when she pulled out my Mirena. She did it and all I felt was a quick period cramp and then in was gone. Now, I'm not sure if she went to Hogwarts but her using the clamp to hold open my cervix? I couldn't feel it. I then felt a so-so level menstrual cramp for maybe about 3 seconds and my gyno told me she was ready to insert the IUD. "But what about the sounding?" "Oh, I just did it". She put in my new Mirena and I couldn't feel a drat thing. When she cut the strings, I started laughing because that insertion was so drat easy and painless that I couldn't believe how stressed I was. She gave me a big smile and said that's why she wanted to master the art of IUDs and wished me happy holidays.

She was so awesome at this that I haven't felt a cramp at all since the sounding. No hot pads or more pain meds were needed.
I just really want to run down the streets and sing this woman's praises to strangers at the top of my lungs. :unsmith:
If any of you ladies are looking for an amazing gyno in Northern CA, let me know

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

I had a really similar experience with my second IUD insertion. I think I said, "Wait, I'm done?" after it was all over since I didn't even realize she had inserted the IUD. It only took 5-10 minutes, aside from waiting in the exam room. It was almost painless too, I drove straight to work afterwards and worked a full day.

My first experience wasn't as bad as yours but it was definitely rockier and more painful, plus that one ended up expelling for whatever reason. I was anxious as hell the second time around for no good reason at all!

I moved to CA after my second insertion so unfortunately I can't see the same gyno anymore, but I echo the same sentiment -- if anyone needs a good gyno in Portland/Hillsboro, let me know!

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Miss Nomer posted:

I think I need to dub my new gynecologist the "cervix whisperer".

So back in 2008, I had a Mirena put in. My cramps had gotten so bad that I was throwing up from the pain and I was taking way too many OTC pain meds than a person can safely take. The gyno I had at the time was very pro-Mirena but very old school in her methods. Long story short, the insertion HURT. It hurt bad. As soon as she clamped my cervix open I was in pain city. I remember gripping the sides of the table while trying not to scream. Then the sounding came. It felt like taking a blunt metal object and ramming it as deep as it can be inside of you. Worse pain I have ever felt. The pain was so bad I couldn't even make a sound. I don't remember the IUD hurting when she was putting it in because I was still in shock from the sounding. I think it took about 10 minutes and I had consistent low level menstrual cramps for about a month afterwards.
But in the end, I was so happy to have my IUD because I was one of the lucky 30% that stopped having periods and my cramps are maybe 10 minutes about once a month.
After living abroad for 5 years, I put off getting my Mirena replaced because it was still keeping my periods away and I had no insurance. I finally got a job this August that comes with wonderful insurance (teaching is awesome) so I knew I needed to get my old one replaced. I chose my new gyno mostly based on location. I had my pap right before Thanksgiving and I was pleasantly surprised by how nice she was and how much she knew about IUDs. She had one herself and let me know that she thinks that it's a great option for women regardless of age or child status. She then explained that she had learned how to insert them as quick as possible and as painlessly as possible because that how much she loves them. She wanted to replace my Mirena then and there but I held off until my Winter Break started because I didn't want to be angry and crampy for the three weeks between Thanksgiving and Winter Break. Also, I was terrified of the pain.
Today was the big day and I was so nervous about the pain I was shaking and didn't sleep much last night. I took 800mg of ibuprofen like last time and dreaded each minute as my appointment drew near. When she came into the room we chatted a bit and I let her know how nervous I was about the pain. She admitted that it did hurt but she made sure to learn and have tons of practice to make it as quick and painless as she could. Feet up in stirrups, I prepared for the worst. She told me that I'd feel a pinch when she pulled out my Mirena. She did it and all I felt was a quick period cramp and then in was gone. Now, I'm not sure if she went to Hogwarts but her using the clamp to hold open my cervix? I couldn't feel it. I then felt a so-so level menstrual cramp for maybe about 3 seconds and my gyno told me she was ready to insert the IUD. "But what about the sounding?" "Oh, I just did it". She put in my new Mirena and I couldn't feel a drat thing. When she cut the strings, I started laughing because that insertion was so drat easy and painless that I couldn't believe how stressed I was. She gave me a big smile and said that's why she wanted to master the art of IUDs and wished me happy holidays.

She was so awesome at this that I haven't felt a cramp at all since the sounding. No hot pads or more pain meds were needed.
I just really want to run down the streets and sing this woman's praises to strangers at the top of my lungs. :unsmith:
If any of you ladies are looking for an amazing gyno in Northern CA, let me know

I actually need one, is she in the bay area?

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
She's in Sacramento

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Speaking of IUDs, mine has finally stopped giving me monster periods. Last one was still a little heavier than I was used to, but it was short and not as painful. YAAAAAAY.

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

I'm having a hard time deciding between an IUD and an implant. I've been on the Nuva Ring for ~8 years and like it a lot: I get regular periods, no side effects, minimal cramps, but I travel a lot and it's becoming a hassle to remember the ring on trips, plan the pick-up each month, etc. I'm excited to get new birth control that I won't have to think about for 3-5 years, but I'm worried about side effects like heavy periods, harsh cramps, or an IUD coming out. Obviously I can't know how my body will react to either method until I get it, but I don't know how to decide at this point. Leaning towards the implant because there's no risk of uterus puncture, but I know that's unlikely from an IUD anyway. Folks with IUDs or implants: how did you make your decision?

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Easy choice for me, IUD was my only option and was cheap (I had no coverage). I took an advil an hour before and literally felt nothing on the insertion. My periods have been heavier but more regular. Cramps were awful for the first 2 months but have tapered off. If I take advil on my period the flow is basically cut in half so it was no big deal.

Just my experience. No issues yet.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Etuni posted:

I'm having a hard time deciding between an IUD and an implant. I've been on the Nuva Ring for ~8 years and like it a lot: I get regular periods, no side effects, minimal cramps, but I travel a lot and it's becoming a hassle to remember the ring on trips, plan the pick-up each month, etc. I'm excited to get new birth control that I won't have to think about for 3-5 years, but I'm worried about side effects like heavy periods, harsh cramps, or an IUD coming out. Obviously I can't know how my body will react to either method until I get it, but I don't know how to decide at this point. Leaning towards the implant because there's no risk of uterus puncture, but I know that's unlikely from an IUD anyway. Folks with IUDs or implants: how did you make your decision?

I got the implant because I was a bit leery of the idea of having something shoved up in my delicate bits and I'd heard unpleasant stories of IUDs poking penises or just spontaneously deciding to expel themselves. I'll be honest - unless it's a copper IUD because you can't do hormones, I don't understand why you'd get an IUD instead of an implant. That or insurance weirdness, but I'm in the UK so I didn't have to worry about that.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

floofyscorp posted:

I got the implant because I was a bit leery of the idea of having something shoved up in my delicate bits and I'd heard unpleasant stories of IUDs poking penises or just spontaneously deciding to expel themselves. I'll be honest - unless it's a copper IUD because you can't do hormones, I don't understand why you'd get an IUD instead of an implant. That or insurance weirdness, but I'm in the UK so I didn't have to worry about that.

I got my Mirena instead of nexplanon because it has a much lower dose of hormones but still reduces (or in 20% of cases can eliminate) menstrual flow. I love not having to buy/cart around tampons or pads :)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I got the implant because it's more effective. Also, rough sex. It also has a 20% chance of amenorrhea (no periods), which I luckily got, which is another reason I'm never changing.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
IUD was an easy choice for me. But really, if you do a side by side comparison, all the IUD offers over then implant is longer effectiveness time. 5 years (Mirena) or 10 years (Paragard) versus 3 years for the implant. And Mirena and the implant both edge out Paragard with lighter periods.

And there's also the whole "is it, isn't it" argument with some the efficacy of some birth controls and being overweight. It's one of the reasons I wanted off the pill, because no gyno couldn't give me a straight answer, and the jury is still out on Implanon/Nexplanon. There's no weight contraindications with the IUDs.

I'm pretty pleased with my Mirena and plan to get Round 2 in 2017. Even though I don't have sex anymore, the absence of periods has almost been more than worth it.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Geolicious posted:

And there's also the whole "is it, isn't it" argument with some the efficacy of some birth controls and being overweight. It's one of the reasons I wanted off the pill, because no gyno couldn't give me a straight answer, and the jury is still out on Implanon/Nexplanon. There's no weight contraindications with the IUDs.

Yeah, I was trying to research this online a couple months ago and couldn't find any clinical data about it. It's a little spooky when you consider the potential ramifications of "oops sorry your birth control pills don't actually work because you weigh too much."

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah basically all the clinical studies and trials didn't include overweight women and no one has really gone back and said "let's do some studies WITH overweight women since you know, they have sex and want to avoid pregnancy, too". Alas. There's just these spotty studies that suggest we metabolize the hormones faster.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Has anybody here experienced issues with their contact lenses while on birth control? I've definitely been having problems with them and I'm going to see my eye doctor again soon, but I figured I'd see if any of you have had any experience with this side effect.

AquarianFire
Dec 24, 2006

Unleashing the Fire Within

Urban Wizard posted:

Has anybody here experienced issues with their contact lenses while on birth control? I've definitely been having problems with them and I'm going to see my eye doctor again soon, but I figured I'd see if any of you have had any experience with this side effect.

Yes. I've been on all kinds of BC, from Depo to Loestin FE and even was on Lupron for a bit for my endometriosis and I always had issues with my contacts drying out and becoming irritating within 6 hours or so. Now that I'm not on anything at all (been off the Depo for a year now) - I can wear my contacts FOREVER and it's not an issue at all. I never thought my contacts were causing me issues from the BC until I stopped taking it. I used to get weird vision issues too... like blurry vision for 5 minutes and then it would go away and then come back again. No issues with my eyes now and I love it.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
All my BC pill inserts warned of issues with contact lens wear. I, thankfully, never had that issue. Anything with estrogen can reduce your tear output as well as just make your eyeballs more sensitive.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Thanks, you too. Yeah, I'm pretty positive that's what happened to me -- I'm off BC altogether now, but the issue isn't going away yet. I'm going to have him check my tear production and also the shape of my eye to see if that will help. How strange, though, that it's not really something you get told if you wear contacts and go on BC... at least it wasn't just me though :sigh:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I got a Paragard when I was unemployed and uninsured. I qualified for the IUD insertion and the IUD itself to be covered for free. Paragard edged out Mirena and the implant because those were approved for 3-5 years and Paragard was approved for 10 years at the time. I think it's approved for up to 12 or 15 now.

This was before the ACA was passed. I'd probably give a method that has a higher possibility of eliminating my period as a side effect first now.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Paragard is still only approved for 10 years by the FDA. I think in Europe they'll let you keep it for 12+.

Mirena is only approved for 5 years by the FDA. But studies are showing it's likely good for 6.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I got an IUD because I was fed up with hormonal side-effects and that was basically the only option reliable enough for me. Most of the horror stories you hear about IUDs really aren't that common and the internet just tends to skew towards the negative.

Even if I hadn't been trying to avoid hormones, I personally got super creeped out by the idea of having some thing just under my skin like that and the whole crazy irregular periods/spotting thing wouldn't have helped.

Geolicious posted:

Paragard is still only approved for 10 years by the FDA. I think in Europe they'll let you keep it for 12+.

Mirena is only approved for 5 years by the FDA. But studies are showing it's likely good for 6.

It may be officially approved only for 10 years, but there's definitely no problem keeping it for 12 years in the U.S. When I got mine, it came with a little reminder card with the month/year it had to be removed, which worked out to 12 years (2013-2025). No one's going to come make you remove it at 10 years anyway.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Kimmalah posted:

I got an IUD because I was fed up with hormonal side-effects and that was basically the only option reliable enough for me. Most of the horror stories you hear about IUDs really aren't that common and the internet just tends to skew towards the negative.

Even if I hadn't been trying to avoid hormones, I personally got super creeped out by the idea of having some thing just under my skin like that and the whole crazy irregular periods/spotting thing wouldn't have helped.

It may be officially approved only for 10 years, but there's definitely no problem keeping it for 12 years in the U.S. When I got mine, it came with a little reminder card with the month/year it had to be removed, which worked out to 12 years (2013-2025). No one's going to come make you remove it at 10 years anyway.

Same on all fronts with my paragard, other than getting a little card. Plus I like the fact that it's approved for longer, mostly because I'm lazy. A mirena would have needed replacing last year, but my paragard will last until I expect I'm likely to be getting on that babymakin' train.

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

Thank you for all your help, this is useful info. I've been reading about a number of women who found their sex drive dropped dramatically or completely disappeared on Nexplanon, which makes me nervous about that method. Although, the same can be said for some women on IUDs... It's hard to make this decision when you can't know what side effects, if any, you'll get until you try!

Does anyone use a menstrual cup with an IUD? This might be a silly urban legend, but my friend claims that her friend somehow pulled out her IUD while taking out her cup. Is this possible? Was one or the other inserted wrong? Am I working myself up over nothing??

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea how the pill had affected my libido until I switched to Mirena. My libido skyrocketed. Has stayed skyrocketed (which makes no sex all the more frustrating).

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Etuni posted:

Thank you for all your help, this is useful info. I've been reading about a number of women who found their sex drive dropped dramatically or completely disappeared on Nexplanon, which makes me nervous about that method. Although, the same can be said for some women on IUDs... It's hard to make this decision when you can't know what side effects, if any, you'll get until you try!

Does anyone use a menstrual cup with an IUD? This might be a silly urban legend, but my friend claims that her friend somehow pulled out her IUD while taking out her cup. Is this possible? Was one or the other inserted wrong? Am I working myself up over nothing??

I use a cup with my iud, and I know some others in here do too. It's definitely possible if you don't break the seal, but I don't think it's all that common. I wouldn't let that be a deterrent, you just have to make sure you break the seal on your cup when taking it out. I think it did happen to someone in here though.

Dame
Jun 26, 2008
I can't get my DivaCup out without breaking the seal, anyway, so I never thought about it. I got my ParaGard about a month ago and have used my DivaCup since the third day I had the IUD for spotting and now this awful eight day period I'm just ending. No issues here, but yes, I guess you'd want to be careful and make sure to break the seal before removing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulol
Apr 14, 2008
I've got a paragard and just started using a menstrual cup. THIS SECOND, even. It requires significant manipulation for me to remove it, which DEFINITELY breaks the seal. I had this concern going into it, too, but it seems to be totally fine. Also, I'm an olympic style weightlifter and flung poo poo all over the place this week with the cup in and had no issues at all. An added bonus is the cup I got (blossom cup) has lines on it to tell me how much I've bled, and I get to nerd out about that ("OMG I bled 15ml from 9-3! Thanks, Paragard!", for example), and dumping it into the shower or the toilet is both fascinating and disgusting.

• Locked thread